Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Fries

KB

I’m thrilled he has locked down the RG spot.  People were really pounding the table for a replacement at the beginning of the season.  Finally that has ended.  I have always thought he was more than just capable.  He’s turned out to be a very good asset actually.  Really happy for him and the Colts.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Nelson, Smith, Fries, Pinter to a degree, Raimann and now Freeland have been pretty solid draft picks of this FO. 

Still funny how the FO gets so much hate…..

QB stability is the single biggest issue this FO has faced, some of it brought on by themselves. That has kept the situation from continuity on offense with the same HC and OC for at least 2 years with the same QB since Luck retired. GMs on other teams have the FA route they tend to take more, like the LA Rams, Eagles and even the Bengals (for OL and DL), and have results to show for it.

If I have 2 years of mediocre results to show for (granted 2 seasons were when Burrow was hurt), but 2 great years to show for with a rookie QB (2 AFCCG appearances and 1 SB appearance), most of us won't be as hard on our FO, IMO. Even if those results were swapped with 2 division titles and 1 AFCCG appearance in 4 years of a QB (like with Luck), I think we would cut them some slack. Bengals are a mid market team like us and if they can spend some money in FA, we should be able to as well since folks will use the mid market excuse to ignore the cases like the LA Rams and Eagles, which might be valid.

So, that will be my expectation under AR's rookie contract, 2 division titles and 1 AFCCG appearance at a minimum. I think that would be a very fair bar to set for the FO. The ball is in their court to make it happen. Yes, the talent is almost there, and now I feel the coaching is there too with Steichen.

Funny that in the Titans game I saw a couple of NASTY blocks in which the defender was driven into the ground and low and behold it was Fries doing the damage!! I say funny because this morning on Get Up Jeff Saturday featured him along with Big Q on some hardcore pancake blocks against the Titans.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/NFLpowerranking120523/nfl-week-14-power-rankings-poll-2023-plus-coaches-players-surprise

ESPN Power Rankings:

16. Indianapolis Colts (7-5)

Week 13 ranking: 18

Pleasant surprise: RG Will Fries

It was surprising when the Colts did little to upgrade their offensive line starters after a rough season in 2022. But the ascent of Fries, a 2021 seventh-round selection, has helped validate that decision. According to ESPN data, only one Colts lineman -- Pro Bowl center Ryan Kelly -- has given up fewer than the three sacks Fries has allowed. Fries has also been durable. He and guard Quenton Nelson are the only members of the unit to start every game. -- Stephen Holder

• Like 3