Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts released Shaq Leonard

CR91

I knew he would be cut at the end of this season but this is truly jaw dropping.

If he goes full Jerry Hughes and balls out on another team I'm not sure how I'd feel. On one hand he's been one of my favorite Colts ever, but you can tell he is just not the same player (and likely never will be again).

I remember reading on here about his "minor back surgery". Aint no such thing as minor back surgery.

• Like 1

Kind of a sad ending to his Colts career. I expected us to cut him in the off-season, but it seems like the noise he was making over the last few months about playing time accelerated this decision. You cannot have a player who's been team captain and has the gravitas of Leonard in the locker room continuously make a point of airing his displeasure with his role. If he wasn't willing to accept the coaches decisions and was going to continue being a distraction, I guess this was the best decision for both him and the team.

Wish him the best wherever he ends up. 

• Like 8

Sad. This tells me the Colts think he's capped at his current level of play due to his injuries. Even if that's the case, he's been the best overall LB on this team the last couple of weeks (besides the Patriots game) so I'm a bit confused why they released him before the end of the year. It's not like we save more by cutting him now.

Anyone saying he quit after he got the bag is an absolute troglodyte or simply an *. The injury he fought through has simply capped his production and it wasn't warranted to continue paying him what he was getting payed. I'll leave it at that 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

That could indicate a lot of things. 

I mean... he's been loud over several weeks now about his role and how he thinks he should be getting more snaps and how he doesn't understand why he's not playing more. I think it was pretty obvious that if he's willing to go in front of the media with this strongly worded statements, then he probably is saying this ... and more behind the scenes... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I mean... he's been loud over several weeks now about his role and how he thinks he should be getting more snaps and how he doesn't understand why he's not playing more. I think it was pretty obvious that if he's willing to go in front of the media with this strongly worded statements, then he probably is saying this ... and more behind the scenes... 

I knew when he started running his mouth it wasn’t going to end well.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Kind of a sad ending to his Colts career. I expected us to cut him in the off-season, but it seems like the noise he was making over the last few months about playing time accelerated this decision. You cannot have a player who's been team captain and has the gravitas of Leonard in the locker room continuously make a point of airing his displeasure with his role. If he wasn't willing to accept the coaches decisions and was going to continue being a distraction, I guess this was the best decision for both him and the team.

Wish him the best wherever he ends up. 

He's been a captain since 2019, including this season. 

I don't think he could continue to air his differences every time he saw a microphone, but I do understand his frustration with the situation. 

It's not something that changes the trajectory of the team, I don't think. He was probably going to be gone after the season, assuming he didn't return to form over the next seven games. And maybe the greater risk was of him getting hurt again in an increased role, and they didn't want his 2024 injury guarantee to kick in. I think I understand not wanting to commit to him. But this seems to have come out of nowhere, with really weird timing. 

Steichen might not be able to coachspeak his way through tomorrow's presser... 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's still a leap to conclude that this is because they were unhappy with him voicing his displeasure. By the way, I don't think he was disrespectful or overly combative in his comments to begin with. I guess whenever a player has a beef with the team, legitimate or not, some people will always side with the team...

Also, why couldn't this indicate that he asked for his release? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Does this affect the cap at all? Does anyone know?

If he clears waivers, the Colts still pay the remaining $6m in 2023, and nothing more. Dead money in 2024 is $8m.

If another team claims him, that team will pay the remaining $6m in 2023, instead of the Colts. Dead money in 2024 is still $8m.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's still a leap to conclude that this is because they were unhappy with him voicing his displeasure. By the way, I don't think he was disrespectful or overly combative in his comments to begin with. I guess whenever a player has a beef with the team, legitimate or not, some people will always side with the team...

Also, why couldn't this indicate that he asked for his release? 

I'd hope one of the captains of the Defense wants to play more snaps. That's all he asked for. I bet that the coaching/medical staff just wouldn't give it to him due to his new limitations so they reached this standstill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's been a captain since 2019, including this season. 

I don't think he could continue to air his differences every time he saw a microphone, but I do understand his frustration with the situation. 

It's not something that changes the trajectory of the team, I don't think. He was probably going to be gone after the season, assuming he didn't return to form over the next seven games. And maybe the greater risk was of him getting hurt again in an increased role, and they didn't want his 2024 injury guarantee to kick in. I think I understand not wanting to commit to him. But this seems to have come out of nowhere, with really weird timing. 

Steichen might not be able to coachspeak his way through tomorrow's presser... 

Yeah... agreed on this not changing the trajectory of the team. That's why I don't consider this to be a huge move. IMO one way or another this was going to happen over the next few months. The avoidance of his injury guarantee kicking in is an interesting point that might have contributed to the Colts decision. 

I don't know what Steichen is even supposed to say. He might just refer the journalists to the statements the team and Irsay made. That's how he was dealing with the Taylor stuff. "First before you ask - I heard about Taylor, I won't comment any further than what the team has said" Or something of the sort. And on followups he will just say "I stand up with the decision the team made", etc....