Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos traded out of the first round

oldunclemark

I was delighted with their first trade, not so much with the second. They dropped a few spots in the first/second just to go up 25 spots in the fourth? You would think that they would have been able to get another pick. In addition, other teams who moved out of similar spots in the draft may have gotten more in return (I haven't looked at the details, but that was my perception). So I like the concept of what they are doing, but I don't think that the mechanics of following through have been all that great. I sure hope that they know what they are doing.

And all these teams happily helping the Pats get what they want may come to regret it come playoff time if the Patriots finally get a pass rush. Whoops.

Some analysts are saying the Broncos were one of the biggest losers in the first round's draft.

http://espn.go.com/n...t-buttons-day-1

=From above link]3. Denver Broncos: John Elway has a win-now philosophy. That's why he acquired Peyton Manning, but Manning has only a short window. The Broncos traded back from picks No. 25 and No. 31, but they passed on some pretty good players -- Hightower, Martin, Smith and some others. This could work out if the Broncos get tight end Coby Fleener and some help at defensive tackle. The Broncos start the second day of the draft with the No. 35 pick. The net gain of two fourth-rounders might not have justified trading out of the first.

^ I agree with this. Elway, what were you thinking!?! You have one of the best quarterbacks who has EVER played the sport of football who isn't going to last in the league much longer, yet you trade BACK!?! Elway has a QB who can help him win now yet his draft strategies suggest he wants to win later! Is he hoping to win now with these later picks?... That's a huge roll of the dice. Makes no sense.

The Broncos have serviceable pieces already. This is supposed to be a deep draft, maybe they don't feel there's a big difference between the top of their chart and some of the guys further down, so why not just move down and take more of them?

The Broncos have serviceable pieces already. This is supposed to be a deep draft, maybe they don't feel there's a big difference between the top of their chart and some of the guys further down, so why not just move down and take more of them?

Exactly. I got the impression that they would have taken the same player at 25 that they will at 36, so they gained a four round pick for nothing. My problem is that I think they could have gained a higher pick, or two fourth round picks in their trades instead.

This is a great move if they are right about the quality of the first rounders and the depth available, a lousy move if they are wrong. But I understand it. The three top D-tackles were gone, as were the top DBs. They don't have priority needs at most of the positions where first rounders were being taken, so instead of reaching, trade down and take someone you actually need in a more reasonable spot.

Some analysts are saying the Broncos were one of the biggest losers in the first round's draft.

http://espn.go.com/n...t-buttons-day-1

^ I agree with this. Elway, what were you thinking!?! You have one of the best quarterbacks who has EVER played the sport of football who isn't going to last in the league much longer, yet you trade BACK!?! Elway has a QB who can help him win now yet his draft strategies suggest he wants to win later! Is he hoping to win now with these later picks?... That's a huge roll of the dice. Makes no sense.

Hes looking to put quality around the board. They need DTs, Still, Worthy, Chapman and Reyes are still available. They could still improve their oline. Konz, Martin, Glenn and Adams are available. They could use Cbs for the future Hayward, Jenkins, Hosley and Robinson are available. So if these are the players on their draft board by trading out they can grab 2-3 of them instead of 1 maybe 2.

WTH are they doing? They overreached for an off-the-radar DT after trading back twice, now they WASTE a quality 2nd round pick on a QB when they already have three QB's and Manning......when they coulda got that Osweiler guy much later.

I give them a flat out F grade so far. Terrible. Disgraceful.

WTH are they doing? They overreached for an off-the-radar DT after trading back twice, now they WASTE a quality 2nd round pick on a QB when they already have three QB's and Manning......when they coulda got that Osweiler guy much later.

I kinda agree. But, time will tell.

I will say a D. F seems too harsh.

I love what NE and GB have done. Both teams are gearing up for another SB run.

And the Colts I thought might go for some D but at the same time we need Luck to be able to do something lol. I am fine with the offensive heavy draft so far as it sinks in.

I couldn't agree more. For the first time I'm doubting that Peyton made the right decision in going there.

They took a DT with a 4th round draft grade and a QB with a 3rd round draft grade in the second round - and then gave up one of the extra fourth round picks just to move up in the third to take an RB with a 4th round draft grade.

I had heard they were thinking QB, but a SECOND ROUND PICK. That just angers me. They made an enormous investment in Peyton. If he can't make it, then they lose a season, cut him, and worry about QB next year. Why invest such a high pick in a guy that you HOPE won't see the field for several years. I just don't get it.

I didn't like the Colts draft either, so by the time the third round was over I was about ready to start throwing things. Very frustrating. I have to unclench my stomach and try and get some sleep.