Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

2 hours ago, tvturner said:

This forum flips on players so fast.

Taylor is apparently very right but  he is looking like a clown. I have said on here that reporters from various podcasts were taken aback by Taylor's lack of accountability on his play last year. This just adds to the fact  that maybe he is not the right type of player for this organization. Taylor is acting like he is the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders. This guy has had one remarkable year out of 3. He is acting like he is a hall of fame player. To me he has not really proven that he is worth a 2nd contract. He has a lot of mileage from Wisconsin and his short NFL career. He is not a guy I would be so ready to sign to a 2nd contract. Balard is finally showing that he needs to play hard ball. What does Taylor expect? Does he expect a team to actually trade for him and then sign him to an extension? Just plain stupid!! The trade request comes across as very childish and he and his agent are ignoring the rb market and what it is at this time. Trust me the other young rbs are watching this and they see an opportunity to seize the moment. 

• Like 6

Just now, Wage said:

I will never ever understand the hate the Jim Irsay gets from Colts fans. As a huge Pacers fan I wish he would buy them too. Dude is passionate and honest and actually engages with the fans and desperately wants to bring as many chips as possible back to Indy.

At the same time I'm a JT fan too. There doesn't have to be a hero and a villain in every situation. Just two grown men trying to do what they think is best for themselves. I hope JT comes back, but the truth is with Saqon signing that garbage deal he just signed, JT has virtually no leverage at all. And if he and his agent want to make this ugly...JT loses 100 times out of 100 here.

I always laugh when fans complain about his “meddling”.  Last year all I heard was Irsay needed to step in and hold people accountable and do something.  Then he steps in and all people have done since is complain about his meddling.  It’s message board nonsense which is why no one takes it seriously.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I always laugh when fans complain about his “meddling”.  Last year all I heard was Irsay needed to step in and hold people accountable and do something.  Then he steps in and all people have done since is complain about his meddling.  It’s message board nonsense which is why no one takes it seriously.  

Fans are fickle. Most don’t know what they want. 

I honestly wish I could feel more for these guys demanding money… but I just can’t. For most of us lower life beings when we ask for more money we’re told to just get a different job and leave our profession… it’s getting really friggin’ hard to live right now with how expensive literally everything is. 

So I guess JT should just get a different job if he wants more money /sarcasm… or maybe not…

• Like 3

Just now, Coltsbluefan said:

The NFL is starting to look like the NBA with players demanding a trade out now.I like Taylor and I do understand his point,but I’m sorry he is wrong on this one.

I think that’s where most Colts fans are right now.  

• Like 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

I honestly wish I could feel more for these guys demanding money… but I just can’t. For most of us lower life beings when we ask for more money we’re told to just get a different job and leave our profession… it’s getting really friggin’ hard to live right now with how expensive literally everything is. 

So I guess JT should just get a different job if he wants more money /sarcasm… or maybe not…

I mean that’s pretty much what he doing by asking for a trade.  He’s trying to go somewhere else where they will pay him what he wants.  I think what he’s going to find is that place doesn’t exist.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I mean that’s pretty much what he doing by asking for a trade.  He’s trying to go somewhere else where they will pay him what he wants.  I think what he’s going to find is that place doesn’t exist.

That’s where I’m at. Not much I can do about pay unless I’m willing to start commuting over an hour away. 

• Like 2

Just now, JColts72 said:

Trade him or let him rot on PUP list.

Unfortunately that’s where I’m at as well. I like him but if he doesn’t want to be a part of the team then send him off. We need a new culture with so many young guys. A distraction is the last thing we need. 

• Like 1

None of us know what has been said behind closed doors between the Colts and the Taylor camp. But the owner does no good by going public with his comments. That Irsay chose to do so appears to have set the entire process on tilt. It accomplished nothing and has now created a major distraction and perhaps an irreparable rift between mgmt. and it’s best player.

To Jim Irsay: Please shut up and stay off Twitter. You’ve made a mess of things. 
To JT: You can’t win this fight. At least not this year. Climb out of your hole before it gets too deep and play your tail off. You’ll get paid if you play as well as I think you will. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately that’s where I’m at as well. I like him but if he doesn’t want to be a part of the team then send him off. We need a new culture with so many young guys. A distraction is the last thing we need. 

Takes away from fresh start with new HC and thoughts of Richardson to be QB.

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

Maybe a 3rd rounder; not going to get 1st rounder.

You aren’t even getting a third rounder for him and even if you did the Colts aren’t taking that offer.  There is no trade market for running backs right now, let a lone one coming off a down year, surgery, and going into the last year of his deal.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The sad thing about this thing is both sides are right. 

That’s why it’s complicated.  All we can do is see how it plays out.

• Like 1

You aren’t even getting a third rounder for him and even if you did the Colts aren’t taking that offer.  There is no trade market for running backs right now, let a lone one coming off a down year, surgery, and going into the last year of his deal.

That’s why it’s complicated.  All we can do is see how it plays out.

Luke I said you would think both sides could compromise so JT will get a pay raise this year and maybe a extra year. But it doesn’t seem his agent wants that. JT is getting such bad advice.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

I look at it this way, this could be a good opportunity to get good draft value in return.  It all depends on how the league See's his value.  I hate that it got to this point, and so fast at that.  

He has zero value right now trade wise. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is brutal. If he doesn't get traded, there's a real chance he holds out all year IMO. 

Which would be a very bad idea for him. The

market doesn’t seem to be getting better next year either. 

If he plays and shows out he’ll have more leverage for the next offseason. If he holds out he’ll be losing a lot of money. 

• Like 4

Which would be a very bad idea for him. The

market doesn’t seem to be getting better next year either. 

If he plays and shows out he’ll have more leverage for the next offseason. If he holds out he’ll be losing a lot of money. 

Oh I agree 100%. I was saying it from the Colts perspective on how it would hurt the offense and Richardsons development. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh I agree 100%. I was saying it from the Colts perspective on how it would hurt the offense and Richardsons development. 

Honestly, I don’t think it hurts it one bit.

Just now, w87r said:

$20m, been trying to say this. Really think that's what they want.

Probably and they’re not gonna get half that

• Like 2

Am I thinking of someone else or is Taylor the who last year said something along the lines of “I’m not worried about my contract I signed for 4 years and I’m going to play it and the rest will work itself out” Again I think it was last season he said this? I could be totally wrong I was wondering if anyone else remembered something like this?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Luke I said you would think both sides could compromise so JT will get a pay raise this year and maybe an extra year. But it doesn’t seem his agent wants that. JT is getting such bad advice.

The Colts have no interest or willingness to compromise.  They own his rights.  He’s coming off a down year and injury.  It makes sense for them to want to see if he can bounce back before they invest anymore money in him or extend his contract.  

As for Taylor I don’t know how much of this is advice as it is just how he feels.  I do think he’s under a lot of pressure from his fellow running backs right now but I also think he feels like he’s worked his whole life to get this major payday that a second contract would be and he’s mad he’s not getting it.  Right or wrong or realistic or not I think that’s how he feels more than he’s being advised to act this way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

Am I thinking of someone else or is Taylor the who last year said something along the lines of “I’m not worried about my contract I signed for 4 years and I’m going to play it and the rest will work itself out” Again I think it was last season he said this? I could be totally wrong I was wondering if anyone else remembered something like this?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colts-jonathan-taylor-not-focused-on-new-deal-im-under-contract-here-for-four-years/

Here is the quote.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The Colts have no interest or willingness to compromise.  They own his rights.  He’s coming off a down year and injury.  It makes sense for them to want to see if he can bounce back before they invest anymore money in him or extend his contract.  

As for Taylor I don’t know how much of this is advice as it is just how he feels.  I do think he’s under a lot of pressure from his fellow running backs right now but I also think he feels like he’s worked his whole life to get this major payday that a second contract would be and he’s mad he’s not getting it.  Right or wrong or realistic or not I think that’s how he feels more than he’s being advised to act this way.

Yep, and the Colts are absolutely right for not extending him right now. He has everything to prove at this point. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, w87r said:

Lot of guys out there still.

Zeke

Hunt(prior Ballard relationship)

Fournette

Cook(although I think he is pretty much off the market by now, NYJ)

Henderson

Although I think we are good with what we have.

Moss(best pass pro in league)

Jackson(young experienced back)

Hull(promising rookie/

Apologies….   The RB, Henderson, is who?  I’m drawing a blank.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I bet if his agent was willing to compromise they could come up with something to make both sides happier in the short term. Irsay is worried snort guaranteed money and years. I feel that Irsay takes care of his players and would meet him in the middle if they would just talk.

The colts are trying to change and build a culture with a young QB. JT needs to relax and tell his agent to knock it off.