Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

I agree Taylor and his agent are at least unwilling to accept the reality if the market at the RB position.

I think what Taylor is missing is this and I am becoming very tired of this act. He is under contract. The rb market is what it is. He is coming off an injury. He had one remarkable year. His rookie year was a good year and last year was not. People can look to the Oline as the problem, however he showed that he was not able to lift himself past the Oline play. He is not a good pass blocker and an average pass catcher but I assume he wants elite money. The age of being  a pure runner and average to below average in those other two areas will not get u an extension and/or a raise and it shouldn't.  Ballard needs to play hard ball and I think the issue with Ballard that he wants to be seen as a nice guy and take care of those who he has drafted. I really think Irsays comments was him saying no go on a contract that was not in line with the current market. Ballard has been burned on 2nd contracts to Neslon, Leonard, Kelly and Smith. Time to re-evaluate the way u do business with these non premium positions beside RT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been a HUGE fan of Taylor from day one of his being drafted.  Was going to buy a JT jersey to wear proudly for his 2023 bounce back year.  Not now, though.  This contract whining crap and now his agent’s low life behaviour has GREATLY sullied my enthusiasm and now it’s costing merchandising revenue to all involved.  Bad for business all around, except for me, saves me some coin.

I will say I am usually all for a player who wants to renegotiate a contract, considering NFL contracts are not guaranteed (I hate when players in other sports with guaranteed contracts whine about their contract being outdated), but I can't get on board with a player doing it on his rookie contract. All players need to play the rookie contract and then what you do from there is free game as far as I am concerned.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

No,  you said months ago you wouldn't extend him.   You didn't predict this

"It will go public as they always do. IF the contract is seen as unfair by the player ,his agent will leak it. If the players request is seen as unfair by the player, the team will leak it.  I agree they rarely leak it but i think this one will be contentious". That is my quote from page 5 of tis thread

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

"It will go public as they always do. IF the contract is seen as unfair by the player ,his agent will leak it. If the players request is seen as unfair by the player, the team will leak it.  I agree they rarely leak it but i think this one will be contentious". That is my quote from page 5 of tis thread

Well you got that one right 

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Nobody leaked because there is no contract offer.    Right now is the perfect time for Taylor to be angry.   It’s the start of a camp where he wouldn’t be playing all that much either way.    

This may carry on into August, but are you now predicting he’s going to hold himself out of regular season games?

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well you got that one right 

He did?    There’s been no leak, so what did he get right?    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nobody leaked because there is no contract offer.    Right now is the perfect time for Taylor to be angry.   It’s the start of a camp where he wouldn’t be playing all that much either way.    

This may carry on into August, but are you now predicting he’s going to hold himself out of regular season games?

He did?    There’s been no leak, so what did he get right?    

I was referring to the * feud

Colts track record of paying RBs is not good from the back's perspective.

Still under contract for one year, with the ability to franchise. Common sense says wait for JT to take market offer, market is what it is, or let him play to prove himself, then either trade or tag. 

I know we aren't experts here, but it doesn't seem all that complicated of a sitatuion, and one that most likely ends up in a market deal, or a trade after he plays this season. 

I doubt he holds out like Bell

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 10:26 AM, CR91 said:

I don't even know how to respond to this. Do you even get the point I was making?

Yep.  I just went beyond your point, to the extent I stated I don't really believe there exists a place where all employees/coworkers are equally compensated

39 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

What about a player like Cook where they just don’t want to pay him?

I don’t like it.

I think the RBs make a valid case, that they ought to be paid for the impact they have, commensurate with other positions.  Yet at the same time, supply and demand.  There are so many great athletes that can to some extent be plug and played.  Cook is a pretty special back, as is JT.  They ought to be paid more inline with what other positions get, but at the end of the day, that over used saying the market is what it is, is still there.

they still make millions, so I shan’t shed a tear for their plight.  The game has still set them up financially for life, if they are financially wise.  Thus, relating to JT, grit your teeth and make your roughly $5M this year, perform and get your big payday next year, via either the tag or a new longer term contract.  Quit playing the but what about the pay at other positions game.  You’re a running back, so if you want to play the relativity game, compare to other RBs.  Most importantly, quit whining.  Honestly, if this attitude we are seeing now is true, as a team, I would not be motivated to feature JT this year.  RB by committee would be my instruction if JT and his agent keep being babies.  And if JT goes attitude in the toilet, then bench or suspend him for behaviour detrimental to the team.

I love JT and think he’s a super star RB, but man, how to tank your attraction super fast. Fingers crossed that this is all much ado about nothing and his image and attitude are rehabilitated over the next month.

13 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Yep.  I just went beyond your point, to the extent I stated I don't really believe there exists a place where all employees/coworkers are equally compensated

Of course not. You completely missed my point 

On 7/28/2023 at 4:42 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder if Taylor would let colts add a year to his deal that way he wouldn’t have to be franchised. He gets a pay raise then colts can talk extension after the year is over.

Yeah, just add a year..... I'm sure that'd make him happy.

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Of course not. You completely missed my point 

Must have, ah well.

18 hours ago, Nickster said:

Yep negotiations in sports sometimes get pretty nasty.  We just haven’t seen much at that here with Irsay handing out money like mad to guys who play less important positions and Jacoby Friggin Brissett and a washed up kicker.   But there have been ugly publicity during negotiations that ended up in done deals.

I am SURE JT saw the mint given to a guard and an off the ball LB and a RT and BEFORE their contracts were due and is What the actual you know what?  What about my money?  

This org is a clown show though and it starts with a man child at the top.

Hard, Hard disagree.  

This is an interesting moment for Chris Ballard. After a career of mediocrity (45-52-1), he’s been given a second chance and a clean slate of sorts with a new coach and a rookie QB with promise. I hope CB can reflect and see that he has invested heavily in the wrong positions in the past and change his approach. Caving to JT now, when he’s coming off an injury and entering a new system and still has a year left on his contract, would be a continuation of bad business by CB. I’ll be disappointed if CB overpays at the RB position when the rest of the league realizes it’s the wrong place to put your money. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I really hope Jim isn’t trying to equate this to Faulk and edge. Not the same situation at all.

I don't know, only getting chopped up quotes instead of full interview.

Seems though as he is using the 2 in different aspects 

1. Faulk being able to help rookie Peyton

2. Not sure if asked about not giving Edge a second contract? Just explained why they didn't in his case.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't know, only getting chopped up quotes instead of full interview.

Seems though as he is using the 2 in different aspects 

1. Faulk being able to help rookie Peyton

2. Not sure if asked about not giving Edge a second contract? Just explained why they didn't in his case.

The video is above.

Can also see where Taylor is coming from. He saw Mack tear his Achilles and barely play again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That makes zero sense

I think all Irsay is saying is that Taylor’s situation is not the same as Barkley or Jacob’s or Pollard or anyone else because they have time.   They Colts can wait this out another year if they have to.  The other RBs had to have their situation acted on now.   Time should be on their side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The video is above.

Can also see where Taylor is coming from. He saw Mack tear his Achilles and barely play again.

That was a short video, that barely any quotes were even in.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Shoot 

Well….   There is no “wow” emoji, so I’ll say Wowza!   How disappointing.   

I don’t see the team accommodating him.  The Colts won’t get much return this time of year.   They’d get a better return next winter before the new NFL calendar starts in Mid-March. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I doubt they will even get anything more then a third round pick too. Irsay can’t keep his flap shut and screws everything up.

We won't give him away.

Make him sit

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What does Taylor think he is going yo get? He has ruined his reputation also.

Ruined reputation with who?   Some fans?  

This is business in the NFL.   Players wanting to be traded rarely ruins a reputation.   It’s business as usual.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

What about a player like Cook where they just don’t want to pay him?

Cook is  a better overall rb than Taylor; he just wants to go to a contender and that is not the Colts. People are forgetting that the Colts have to do nothing. He is under contract for this year and franchise him next unless they need it for another player. In reviewing the roster, there does not appear to be another player that they will be forced to use the tag on next year.