Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holser 

I think they have interest giving him what he wants when he has played hardball and they think he is faking a injury. . Eventually they might have to just part ways to just be done righ if. I hate having this black cloud around this team.

Maybe he gets an analyst  job and retires.

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How do you prove he faked an injury. He says he has pain even if the scan shows he is fine. A player is injured if he says he is. If I say I have migraines from a concussion that won’t show up on a scan. It’s my word. If I feel pain in my ankle they don’t have to see it for it to really exist. They didn’t have to put him on the PUP. They could have activated him. Said he is too hurt to play and both sides could continue this charade. The Colts benefit from him being on rhe PUP more than Taylor does. It actually hurts Taylor’s value to be traded basically undermining teams offers since he can’t play for 4 weeks. The Colts purposely are playing his game. This way he gets to hold out and get paid and they free up the roster spot. The colts are hoping by not activating him and forcing him to hold out for real costing him game checks they will build goodwill and fix the fractured relationship. I don’t think so. I think he will come back and play begrudgingly and the Colts will let him walk after the year for a compensatory pick.

I don’t know how they’d prove it either or even if they’d want to. I’m just saying that they could if they wanted play real hardball. Anyway, while good conversation it’s really anyone’s guess as to how this will play out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So according to article 8, subsection B: he must play in a minimum of 6 games unless on IR for a football injury . The except is the PuP as we discussed. Further down in subsection B it states the player will not , if in his rookie contract, “he fails to perform his contracted duty for a material length of time and is not on the Reserve/IR list”

I mean your question about conduct detrimental to the team

• Like 1

Just now, Mikemccoy84 said:

The big risk financially is this year and because his deal it’s not huge colts probably don’t care. Next year he gets tagged and either doesn’t sign and doesn’t get paid or signs and no shows but loses it all to fines.

Yep and technically they can do this all over again for the next 3 years, albeit that would be unprecedented and expensive. 4 years if his season doesn’t accrue

Holder said on JMV that he wants to ask Ballard why they didn’t want to extend JT. He goes Ballard alluded to having a new coach in his presser.before camp. Holder  said on JMV what’s that have to do with it teams get new coaches all the time and keep good players. What he failed to mention is colts only won 4 games.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I mean your question about conduct detrimental to the team

So what I’m doing is this. Say he refuses the physical at week 4. They keep him on pup until week 6, ask for a physical then, he refuses, they suspend him for 4 games, that’s a total of 10 games missed, leaving JT just 7 games left. 

what I’m trying to figure out is do the suspended games, which have to be league approved by the way, count towards his accruals.  If not, there’s no math that will allow him to hit his accrual target AND hold out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

The big risk financially is this year and because his deal it’s not huge colts probably don’t care. Next year he gets tagged and either doesn’t sign and doesn’t get paid or signs and no shows but loses it all to fines.

I don’t see how we tag him next year (unless it’s just to trade him). If he has played well enough to be tagged we should sign him long term…if we don’t want to sign him long term we should trade him. If he hasn’t played well he probably will just be allowed to walk and we not use the tag. We may need to save that for other players (Pittman).

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t know how they’d prove it either or even if they’d want to. I’m just saying that they could if they wanted play real hardball. Anyway, while good conversation it’s really anyone’s guess as to how this will play out. 

I'm sure there is communications and documentation of which, told teams he was talking to that he was healthy and could pass a physical.

League could easily find that in a discovery process.

We haven't even gotten into the part about refusing to take a physical in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

I'm sure there is communications and documentation of which, told teams he was talking to that he was healthy and could pass a physical.

We haven't even gotten into the part about refusing to take a physical in the first place.

Right, which in itself, by doing so, is a violation of the CBA on JTs part and grounds for suspension. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Very possible too. All I know is this has been played very badly from JTs side. If it were me, I’d shown up to camp, fully healthy if I were, practiced and then about tomorrow start demanding my extension and then if needed sit out. At least I’d be negotiating from a positive position instead of a negative one like JT has been fighting

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Not even hope to fix this for rb’s anytime soon either. CBA is good till 2030

I don’t see the league agreeing to alter it for a single position. And the owners aren’t going to agree to a higher blanket tag across all positions . They may try to reduce the number of times you can be tagged or something but other than that, I don’t see much that will solve this

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t see how we tag him next year

It could happen if he plays well and the team wants to sign him for something like 12 mil a year but Jt still demands 15-16

His demands could be so high that the team wont agree to it, even if he has a good year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Very possible too. All I know is this has been played very badly from JTs side. If it were me, I’d shown up to camp, fully healthy if I were, practiced and then about tomorrow start demanding my extension and then if needed sit out. At least I’d be negotiating from a positive position instead of a negative one like JT has been fighting

100%. Your negotiating from a healthy spot instead of a injured player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

That’s my entire point, they fully control JTs career at this stage 

True…but also why I can see why RBs are so upset. Would you want your entire career to be controlled by a company that you didn’t have a choice to even work for?  A qb like Cousins has a long career and can wait it out and has much smaller chances to suffer a career ending injury.

I know it’s in the CBA and that’s just how it is but I can see why running backs with such a small career window want changes. I don’t like the franchise tag personally. I know it benefits my team and me as a fan but I understand it from a human perspective. You sign a 4 year contract…you fullfil it you should then be able to control your destiny to sign anywhere…get the most money you can….players don’t have a choice on the 1 year contact…they have to take it.

I wonder…if I’m a top running back…instead of signing the standard contract could they just hold out right off the bat for a one year contact so they could control the most valuable years of their service? I bet not…so to say you signed a contact you should honor it…well it’s not like they really negotiated that contract…they had to sign it..they had no other options.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

It could happen if he plays well and the team wants to sign him for something like 12 mil a year but Jt still demands 15-16

His demands could be so high that the team wont agree to it, even if he has a good year

If he plays well after all this crap…why would we not give him what we said we would if he proved it. To me we sign him long term, let him walk, or trade him….tagging him imo would be really distasteful after what we’ve been telling him all this time. We would be proving his point all along that we wouldn’t extend him and he was right to demand a trade.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If he plays well after all this crap…why would we not give him what we said we would if he proved it

Well the rumors are hes looking for something in the 15-20 mil a year range. Personally i think thats too much for a RB no matter what and especially for 4+ years. thus the tag could be used

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

So nothing is stopping him from sitting out 6 weeks. Coming back to play a few weeks then saying I’m shutting it down to save my body for next year. His year will still count and the Colts will get only a couple game days. Sounds pretty good for Taylor if that’s me. Can’t imagine the Colts would then tag him next year to go through another year of that mess. They would trade him like he wants.

They tag him to retain his rights, then let him stew. 

9 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Well the rumors are hes looking for something in the 15-20 mil a year range. Personally i think thats too much for a RB no matter what and especially for 4+ years. thus the tag could be used

After the way all of this has gone down…I don’t see the Colts doing that and forcing him to play another year on the tag. Just hard for me to believe we would do that. After him doing all this we are going to say yep…you were right JT. We won’t sign you long term just like you were upset about. After you just balled out for us again we still don’t think you deserve a long term deal. That wouldn’t sit too well..with JT and probably other players/agents in the league. Hard to see us going down that road. We pay him, we let him walk if he is bad, we tag just so we trade him. 

5 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

They tag him to retain his rights, then let him stew. 

That’s some organization…sure bet that would make players flock to sign with a team that treats its star player like that. Admitting he was right to be upset from the start and that we lied in saying we would take care of our players that earn it on the field. Not saying we won’t do that…but man that wouldn’t play well in media, with JT, nor with other agents and players.

40 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder said on JMV that he wants to ask Ballard why they didn’t want to extend JT. He goes Ballard alluded to having a new coach in his presser.before camp. Holder  said on JMV what’s that have to do with it teams get new coaches all the time and keep good players. What he failed to mention is colts only won 4 games.

Hey Holder how about you ask a real question like what’s really going on with Taylor’s ankle why it hasn’t recovered from off-season surgery yet?  Yeah Ballard probably won’t answer but we know why the Colts didn’t want to extend JT, he’s a running back for starters, he was hurt and perhaps still hurt so why hand him money before you know he’s healthy and is the same player he was?  I don’t cover the Colts and I’ve never worked for a NFL team and I can figure that out.  It’s not rocket science.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Listening to jmv and holder is sickening. You would swear they hate the colts. Whether Jt plays or not this teams is coming off the number 4 pick and not gonna be really great this year.

It was bad was it? I about vomited lol.

Mike  Chappell was on the afternoon show. Much better perspective here. Him and James mention colts taking a pause this year and evaluating what they have. Starts at 139.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/query-company-podcast/id1217975536?i=1000626123686

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That’s some organization…sure bet that would make players flock to sign with a team that treats its star player like that. Admitting he was right to be upset from the start and that we lied in saying we would take care of our players that earn it on the field. Not saying we won’t do that…but man that wouldn’t play well in media, with JT, nor with other agents and players.

For the good of the court, we don’t truly know what the Colts are planning to do. We honestly don’t know much after all of this time. 

The Colts are being very quiet with the entire process. Take away what Irsay has done and said, I don’t think much has escaped the lips of Shane or Ballard on the predicament. 

I still would like to know why he is failing the physical. I would like to think the team isn’t so stupid into lying about him being injured. If he was cleared, he wouldn’t be on PUP. 

Jt acting like he is so unappreciated is also bad. Before the draft this year almost all colts news was positives about Taylor. They hyped him like he was the greatest ever. Hardest worker, awesome attitude, smart player and best character. I honestly think colts hyped him even more than his real value and now he thinks he’s being held hostage by them. Congratulations on crapping on a  franchise with fans who would have loved him all the way to the hall of fame.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Put it this way.  When healthy, he’s a star.  Thus, you tag him. Imho, this saga is ALL on Taylor and his camp.  He was primed for top 5 RB money after this season, if season 1 & 2 JT showed up. JT is Le’Veon Bell ruining his career with greedy stupidity.  He could’ve been legendary, but his greed in worrying about what other positions are paid is ruining what should’ve been his stellar legacy.  He is committing an all-time malcontent blunder. He was my favorite Colt for 3 years, now I loathe him. Don’t know if he can be redeemed.  THIS season will tell. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

One day we will have an uneventful start to the season lol. I hope Irsay understands this is. Rebuild year and gives Ballard some leeway. I feel bad for Steichen. Looks like cardinals are doing same thing with a new coach. 

I don’t think Irsay has picked to have most of the events happen recently that have happened.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hopefully Ballards presser tomorrow is before practice so Steichen isn’t the one answering a these questions after practice.

All he’s going to do is say ask Chris like he has when asked before.  I don’t think it’s a big deal to Shane.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

True…but also why I can see why RBs are so upset. Would you want your entire career to be controlled by a company that you didn’t have a choice to even work for?  A qb like Cousins has a long career and can wait it out and has much smaller chances to suffer a career ending injury.

I know it’s in the CBA and that’s just how it is but I can see why running backs with such a small career window want changes. I don’t like the franchise tag personally. I know it benefits my team and me as a fan but I understand it from a human perspective. You sign a 4 year contract…you fullfil it you should then be able to control your destiny to sign anywhere…get the most money you can….players don’t have a choice on the 1 year contact…they have to take it.

I wonder…if I’m a top running back…instead of signing the standard contract could they just hold out right off the bat for a one year contact so they could control the most valuable years of their service? I bet not…so to say you signed a contact you should honor it…well it’s not like they really negotiated that contract…they had to sign it..they had no other options.

it’s hard for me to feel sorry for a player in the NFL. First and foremost, every player plays for the entity that is the NFL. That is their “employer”. The team they play for is a secondary entity. They chose to play in the NFL for millions of dollars. Hardly getting screwed over if you ask me. Even JT talked about putting pen to paper saying he’d play for this team, and now he’s trying to do otherwise. 

just because you’re not getting paid as much as other positions isn’t a reason to be ungrateful for making millions. Likewise in any industry, certain positions make certain wages depending on the value of that position. 

peyton made millions off the NFL, but he maximized his money by doing deals outside of the NFL, branded himself and made even more money like a smart businessman. 

• Thanks 2