Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I really miss zak keefer on the colts beat.  I think James Boyd is growing and I really am starting to enjoy him. But most of them are bad.

James Boyd disappointed me a little today.

He was on one of the local shows, again, I don't usually listen but was a little busy today, so I wanted to here some news. Not sure which one?

Anyway, short story long. He was on the show and they were asking him about what would happen with Taylor and when.

James literally said, I am following all the big reporters, so I will report it as soon as I see them say it. (Something to those affects)

Anyway, it's like where is your sources James, you shouldn't be waiting to post their reports...

Stories that have (2) "Anyways" are too long.

Just now, w87r said:

He was on one of the local shows, again, I don't usually listen but was a little busy today, so I wanted to here some news. Not sure which one?

Anyway, short story long. He was on the show and they were asking him about what would happen with Taylor and when.

James literally said, I am following all the big reporters, so I will report it as soon as I see them say it. (Something to those affects)

Anyway, it's like where is your sources James, you shouldn't be waiting to post their reports...

He’s new he might not have them yet.  Those take time to develop.  That’s why a guy like Chap who has been doing this since the team got here in 84 is normally the best to follow.  He has the best sources in town and sometimes I think that includes Irsay because I know at least once when Irsay wanted something to get to the media he called Chap personally and told him.

• Like 1

I don't know for sure, but no one is perfect, and all parties have made mistakes in this fiasco. The unfortunate reality is that the role of the running back has changed and with it the market (read: money) has changed, too. This isn't just in football, but many products and services have had readjustments.

When people get their hopes up of earning mega-millions, and reality raises its ugly head and it doesn't happen, emotions will be bruised.

Life goes on, and people will either get over it, or not.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s new he might not have them yet.  Those take time to develop.  That’s why a guy like Chap who has been doing this since the team got here in 84 is normally the best to follow.  He has the best sources in town and sometimes I think that includes Irsay because I know at least once when Irsay wanted something to get to the media he called Chap personally and told him.

That's fine, but you don't announce it on the radio. Lol.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

However, Tuesday’s action – or inaction – hardly ended the impasse between the Colts and their offensive catalyst.

Far from it. A suspension shouldn’t be ruled out.

Initially, Taylor won’t be available for the Sept. 10 opener against Jacksonville or the ensuing three games. He was placed on the reserve-physically unable to perform list (PUP) while continuing his rehab from Jan. 25 surgery on his right ankle. That requires a player to miss at least four games, with pay.

The earliest Taylor can return is Oct. 8 against the Tennessee Titans.

That’s when things could escalate even further.

The Colts believe Taylor is healthy and staging a “hold-in’’ to reflect his anger over not being offered a contract extension, according to a source.

Head Banging GIF

JT right about now

22 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah I think that’s just because he is new. He has been really good in the radio in the afternoon co hosting. I generally am starting to enjoy listening to him. To be fair local media for the most part always seems to report things last.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I think that's the basics of it for sure, but I think the tactics and PR along the way have largely been driven by his agent.

I think he's playing his hand, and he knows it's a losing hand, but maybe he can bluff somebody into folding. I doubt it works out that way.

As for his agent, I have started to wonder whether there's an agenda to get Taylor to the Dolphins all along. And who knows, maybe that's why Taylor chose this guy in the first place. Or maybe Taylor chose himself to be the sacrificial lamb for all the RBs, and doesn't care about the optics. 

But I think it's pretty simple. The Colts didn't offer him a new contract, he got mad, and his agent fed into it and told him he'd be better off getting traded. And now, here we are.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah I think that’s just because he is new. He has been really good in the radio in the afternoon co hosting. I generally am starting to enjoy listening to him. To be fair local media for the most part always seems to report things last.

Think I was actually just disappointed that, that was something he admitted on the air.

I actually thought the show was pretty good today.

It had on Chappell and Ex GM Mueller. Good interviews.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Head Banging GIF

JT right about now

horse gtfo GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

“A player’s contract will not be suspended and resumed the following season while on the PUP list unless he is in the last year of his contract, unable to perform football activities as of the sixth regular-season game and inactive during the regular season and postseason, according to NFL.com.”

basically, since Taylor is in the last year of his contract, if he’s not back on the field by week 6, colts get another year of him at 4.x million plus still have the tags after that. 

translation: Taylor f-ed himself 

I get it now that I read it again. What was confusing me is the line that says he is "inactive as of the 6th game and inactive during the regular season and post season. I believe the rule is he comes off the PUP list after the first 4 games and then has until the 6th game to become active. If not he is out for the year. I wasn't realizing that after 6 games he's out for the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

I get it now that I read it again. What was confusing me is the line that says he is "inactive as of the 6th game and inactive during the regular season and post season. I believe the rule is he comes off the PUP list after the first 4 games and then has until the 6th game to become active. If not he is out for the year. I wasn't realizing that after 6 games he's out for the year.

He doesn’t automatically come off. He has to pass physical first. From what I understand the rule is in place exactly for this type of scenario. To prevent players in their final year of their contract from faking injuries to force a trade or release or whatever. Seems JT nor his agent knew this…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Even if they suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team they can only make him miss 4 games with no pay and fine a weeks salary. That puts him missing 8 games so he could still get his credited season.

Not if he stays on PUP while refusing a physical.  it’s the refusing the physical part at the end of the four weeks that would result in said suspension. However, because he’d still be on PUP, his contract would then be suspended 

4 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Even if they suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team they can only make him miss 4 games with no pay and fine a weeks salary. That puts him missing 8 games so he could still get his credited season.

If they really want to screw him? They could at the end of 6 weeks, IR him and not have to pay him anything. I’m still reading the CBA but in the subsection I’m in, it talks about this very scenario. Kind of interesting just how much the colts can legally screw JT if he is found to have been faking or exaggerating an injury. There’s also punishments for refusing treatment by league or team licensed medical professionals first. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

Think I was actually just disappointed that, that was something he admitted on the air.

I actually thought the show was pretty good today.

It has on Chappell and Ex GM Mueller. Good interviews.

horse gtfo GIF

Colts TE tryouts as 5 is not enough.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

We can’t, even if we wanted too, Reserve/PUP players can’t be traded now until after week 4 

Understood. I was just having fun. JT joke aside…I’d hope we’d be in if he were to be available (Bosa).

2 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

JT +CM would be a crazy duo! I’d trade them JT+ 1st rounder for Bosa+Aiuk or Deebo!

LOL. I don’t even think Shanahan values RB’s that much though!

Interesting… 

under the medical section, All players and prospect players must agree and sign medical record authorizations to their respective clubs as part of their contracts. Players must submit to club physicals in the following situations: a: beginning of mandatory off season work outs, b:upon reporting to training camp, c : when determining injury related designated lists, d: when coming off injury designated list, e: when a club medical representative believes there to have been a head or neck injury, or an injury to any other part of the body. f: when a club requests in writing to evaluate progress in club medical rehabilitation plans related to player injury 

furthermore, it goes on to say that training camp physicals are to be conducted by two neutral, pre-designated medical professionals located in the the city or state of the club and agreed to by the players union prior to the start of the league year.

Seems like the colts have ground to purse the punishments for JT refusing physicals. My question though is this, since the Colts have legal authority to view his medical records at any time, without notice to the player, do they have proof he’s been cleared and milking this. If so…

the punishment section for falsifying medical information as a player gets very interesting indeed. Not only can they do what I’ve already posted, they can seek recoupment and fines up to the start of mandatory offseason workouts…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://theathletic.com/4733844/2023/08/01/indianapolis-colts-jonathan-taylor-holdout/?amp=1

This article explains it pretty simply…he only has to play/be eligible to play for 6 games. The Colts can ask for a roster exemption and refuse him two games upon return and limit him so he would need to come back with 8 weeks left to ensure he gets his year counted. It’s why Chris Jones has said he is holding out for 8 weeks. He is doing the same thing as Taylor but I guess no one on here hates him for it. This is what I think he does unless he gets traded.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

https://theathletic.com/4733844/2023/08/01/indianapolis-colts-jonathan-taylor-holdout/?amp=1

This article explains it pretty simply…he only has to play/be eligible to play for 6 games. The Colts can ask for a roster exemption and refuse him two games upon return and limit him so he would need to come back with 8 weeks left to ensure he gets his year counted. It’s why Chris Jones has said he is holding out for 8 weeks. He is doing the same thing as Taylor but I guess no one on here hates him for it. This is what I think he does unless he gets traded.

That’s only IF he wasn’t on the Reserve/PUP list at 4 pm today. The CBA clearly states it under article 20, subsection 2.  In order for his season to accrue, he HAS to be activated by the conclusion of week 6. Which basically means, Monday night at mid night following week 6.

chris jones is straight holding out, not using an injury as an excuse. Totally different scenarios.

that said, while it’s fun to speculate and see what the CBA actually says, none of us will know until the Colts do what they do

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Will be fun watching these other running backs flourish showing Taylor they really don’t need him. Lol

It would be fun if the line shows up this year, to open up some nice holes, for these other RBs to run through. Perhaps lessening the loss of Taylor

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

It would be fun if the line shows up this year, to open up some nice holes, for these other RBs to run through. Perhaps lessening the loss of Taylor

Hull is averaging .4 yards less per carry in the preseason va JT last year in the regular season. Will be interesting to see how that works out come week 4.

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Taylor is truly faking his injury colts have every right to play hard ball and do what they have to do.

My guess is that Ballard is gonna sit down and give the 411 to Taylor straight. Either honor your contract or we will do X type conversation. Which that type of conversation is allowed under the CBA, infact, it’s a requirement 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Interesting… 

under the medical section, All players and prospect players must agree and sign medical record authorizations to their respective clubs as part of their contracts. Players must submit to club physicals in the following situations: a: beginning of mandatory off season work outs, b:upon reporting to training camp, c : when determining injury related designated lists, d: when coming off injury designated list, e: when a club medical representative believes there to have been a head or neck injury, or an injury to any other part of the body. f: when a club requests in writing to evaluate progress in club medical rehabilitation plans related to player injury 

furthermore, it goes on to say that training camp physicals are to be conducted by two neutral, pre-designated medical professionals located in the the city or state of the club and agreed to by the players union prior to the start of the league year.

Seems like the colts have ground to purse the punishments for JT refusing physicals. My question though is this, since the Colts have legal authority to view his medical records at any time, without notice to the player, do they have proof he’s been cleared and milking this. If so…

the punishment section for falsifying medical information as a player gets very interesting indeed. Not only can they do what I’ve already posted, they can seek recoupment and fines up to the start of mandatory offseason workouts…

I think this comes down to risk/reward for the Colts. Force him to play when he says he is in pain and injured even if they show his ankle is healed and risk him reinjuring it and being held liable or let a guy that doesn’t want to play and is saying he is in pain sit on the PUP. The money means nothing to the Colts. They don’t want to alienate him more…if your goal is to keep a player and not trade him (which is clearly the colts goal) then they will earn goodwill by not trying to play hard ball and continue this fight and let him sit out 4 games and then that’s when they may play hard ball.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s only IF he wasn’t on the Reserve/PUP list at 4 pm today. The CBA clearly states it under article 20, subsection 2.  In order for his season to accrue, he HAS to be activated by the conclusion of week 6. Which basically means, Monday night at mid night following week 6.

chris jones is straight holding out, not using an injury as an excuse. Totally different scenarios.

that said, while it’s fun to speculate and see what the CBA actually says, none of us will know until the Colts do what they do

Then he will activate and then hold out. Point being he doesn’t have to play until there are 8 weeks left. Meaning he will not hsce to lose pay the 6 weeks on the PUP.

2 hours ago, azcolt said:

Consider the guy has always been a star -  and life tends to be easy for stars. Now he is facing a bit of adversity and he has responded like a spoiled punk.

And make by it worse, the adversity is self generated.  Bugger is under contract for 1 more year.  Sure it would be nice to be extended, but oh well, as he said, he “put pen to paper” so honor the contract you dweeb.  Man, I HATE contractually obligated malcontents. I was his biggest fan leading into the draft, in his rookie year, for his amazing 2nd year, and very early last year. He was great in the first game last season.  Now, I loathe him. 

• Like 2

Just now, dgambill said:

I think this comes down to risk/reward for the Colts. Force him to play when he says he is in pain and injured even if they show his ankle is healed and risk him reinjuring it and being held liable or let a guy that doesn’t want to play and is saying he is in pain sit on the PUP. The money means nothing to the Colts. They don’t want to alienate him more…if your goal is to keep a player and not trade him (which is clearly the colts goal) then they will earn goodwill by not trying to play hard ball and continue this fight and let him sit out 4 games and then that’s when they may play hard ball.

I agree there. I’m just saying the Colts can be real harsh if they chose too and there’s nothing JT can do about it. In fact, they can also seek a contract suspension simply if they show he’s not been following a team approved medical protocol plan to rehabilitate. It’s crazy all the stuff that they can do if they wanted too. I’m only on page 255/456 too. Lots of reading to go yet. Essentially they could keep him on the shelf for the next 4 seasons and there’s nothing JT can do about it, at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Then he will activate and then hold out. Point being he doesn’t have to play until there are 8 weeks left. Meaning he will not hsce to lose pay the 6 weeks on the PUP.

He would have to take said physical to clear. He can’t simply activate himself. And once he does, he has to be active in game day. If he’s sitting out, he won’t be on an active game day roster. 

Over the years I have had to negotiate with people that were less than happy.

I would ask JT out to dinner with Irsay and Ballard

A little humility (and an offer) from Irsay could fix this

"Look Jonathan, I would want to apologize for my bluntness, but I truly want you back."

I would offer a 3 year 12M deal with first two years guaranteed

See if that gets Taylor back

That's a fair offer 

Looking for a Right Guard........  Did oe show up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No this is what will happen. He will likely clear PUP week 4, play week 5, have his ankle “ hurt” again, then go IR the rest of the season. 

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Over the years I have had to negotiate with people that were less than happy.

I would ask JT out to dinner with Irsay and Ballard

A little humility (and an offer) from Irsay could fix this

"Look Jonathan, I would want to apologize for my bluntness, but I truly want you back."

I would offer a 3 year 12M deal with first two years guaranteed

See if that gets Taylor back

That's a fair offer 

Looking for a Right Guard........  Did oe show up?

Definitely a fair offer. 

• Like 2