Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard and Taylor

azcolt

Anyone think we will see either guy on the field often this year? Both out injured and we haven’t even played a game. And of course, their shared agent seems to be regarded as trouble. Oh well, we should get another premium #1 pick next Spring.

Leonard has been at every practice until he had the concussion!  A little premature to count him out for the year, isn’t it?

I’m glass half full on Taylor.  I think he’ll be back and play well.  Right now my guess is as valid as yours. 

I think Lenoard will continue working his * off to get back on the field. The dude is trying, you can see it. He loves football and I don’t think anyone wants him out there more than he himself does.

JT will be interesting. I don’t buy the whole he’s not healthy story. I think this is purely contractual. He basically was a fake “hold-in” to save face but it’s backfired. He doesn’t get fined but this whole thing has been a mess. He’ll play this year. He wants to get paid he’s got to put some good tape out there. Dude would be 2 years removed from his best season as a free agent. He needs to show up and show up well if he wants the money. 

JT is travelling with the team to Philly, if that means anything. Could just be to avoid fines... but I mean, we haven't heard any fireworks between JT and the team in a while now.

Could just be letting time pass for the media to lose interest and then quietly just get back to it?

Probably just me being hopeful but who knows. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Leonard has been at every practice until he had the concussion!  A little premature to count him out for the year, isn’t it?

I’m glass half full on Taylor.  I think he’ll be back and play well.  Right now my guess is as valid as yours. 

Anyone think we will see either guy on the field often this year? 

6 hours ago, azcolt said:

Anyone think we will see either guy on the field often this year? Both out injured and we haven’t even played a game. And of course, their shared agent seems to be regarded as trouble. Oh well, we should get another premium #1 pick next Spring.

Does the fact they both players have the same agent mean anything?

On 8/20/2023 at 10:47 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Shaq will play game one. He hasn’t missed one practice since the concussion this week.

Being able to limp on the field and physically stand there for game one maybe..... but being the 100 million player the colts paid him to be...those days are long gone. 

I think Leonard probably plays this year but gets cut after the season. Unfortunately I don't expect him to come back to his previous stellar form and the Colts won't be paying that type of salary for less than that. He also just had another concussion after he was talking about retiring after one of the previous 2 concussions. Lets see if he will be good to go to begin with I guess... 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I think Leonard probably plays this year but gets cut after the season. Unfortunately I don't expect him to come back to his previous stellar form and the Colts won't be paying that type of salary for less than that. He also just had another concussion after he was talking about retiring after one of the previous 2 concussions. Lets see if he will be good to go to begin with I guess... 

Leonard has been out of the game desire wise sense the contract for signed.  I'll get hate for thinking that, and I hope more than anything I'm wrong..... 

2 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Leonard has been out of the game desire wise sense the contract for signed.  I'll get hate for thinking that, and I hope more than anything I'm wrong..... 

I strongly disagree with this. Haven't seen anything to suggest he doesn't have the desire to play or compete. 

4 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I have to agree with you here. And I too hope we are wrong.

But when Leonard returned to the starting lineup last year, he did not look right... he was not playing aggressive, not flying up in to make tackles or throwing his body around into the pile, etc. 

Saturday took much credit for telling Leonard  "he was shutting him down" for the season, using the excuse (whether true or not) that he still had not healed properly. the coach pulled the plug, ending his season.

Now I have not been at any training camp or practices...  I did hear reports how Leonard has looked good there, but to what level I cannot verify?

Then, when Leonard played those few snap counts vs Buffalo, from what I saw, he did not do anything much. Then they pulled him out of that game,. He did not play vs Chicago and since has suffered a concussion and did not make the trip to Philadelphia.

So now we have to hope that he returns to form for the start of the regular season...  and of course, there is a chance he may regain his old all pro form...  But like you said earlier, once a player is out of the game that long, and cashed in monetarily, I have to wonder if there really is the desire? and also, since in the NFL, one cannot play timidly, or play to be careful not to get hurt, I wonder if he will completely give total effort?

I am somewhat comfortable that Grant Stuard, if need be, can fill the void, to get us by, should Leonard miss time, or if Leonard does play, and his performance is not up to par.

On 8/20/2023 at 7:06 PM, azcolt said:

Well i will stick to my prediction before the season with Leornard; he is done. I said about  over a week ago that Taylor would never play a game with the Colts again. 

1.  Shaquille Leonard - is in concussion protocol like a lot of other NFL players at this point.  He is NOT "out injured" or in danger of missing the season.

2.  Jonathan Taylor -  FOUR REASONS WHY JONATHAN TAYLOR WILL PLAY FOR THE COLTS THIS SEASON:

A.  JT is still on the PUP list - so would a team be willing to pony up a #1 draft pick - AND - $$$ WITHOUT knowing whether he is actually ready to play.  I think NOT.

B.  Austin Ekeler - Josh Jacobs - and - Saquon Barkley have ALL wanted big $$ contracts this year and they are all playing for their teams in 2023.

C.  Once week 1 kicks off - JT starts losing $$$ that he can't recoup without a long-term contract.

D.  His demeanor since April has been "all about me" and negative.  NFL teams have enough distractions - are they ready - less than three weeks before the start of the regular season - to bring in a totally new player?

Its a shame whats happened with Leonard, I have a feeling this is what we're going to deal with for the rest of his career. Injury after injury. Scary too cause they last time he had a bad concussion, he said afterwards that he had thoughts of hanging them up. The fact that its crossed his mind, before his two most recent injuries is scary. 

Though on the positive, it really seems Zaire has thrived in taking over his role, on the field and as a leader.

On 8/22/2023 at 11:28 AM, Ratking said:

Shaq is washed. I wish he would retire so that the Colts can just move on from him. 

Shaq got his big money second contract, so I'm afraid we're stuck with him for now. He is EXACTLY the reason why we are not paying Taylor. We don't know if Jonathan is the same elite player and we don't want to make the same mistake of paying a guy with 1) an injury from which he may never return to his original form or 2) an increased tendency to be re-injured again and again.

9 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Shaq got his big money second contract, so I'm afraid we're stuck with him for now. He is EXACTLY the reason why we are not paying Taylor. We don't know if Jonathan is the same elite player and we don't want to make the same mistake of paying a guy with 1) an injury from which he may never return to his original form or 2) an increased tendency to be re-injured again and again.

This mindset is so silly.  So don't re-sign your standout draft picks.  Who's coming here?  Name the last great FA's who've come here?  If you let your best draft picks all walk due to injury we will end up being the Browns or the Jaguars or the Washington Foosball Team.

I really hate this logic because what's the alternative?  Show me where we've done better than to re-sign Luck, Nelson, Kelly and Leonard.

So let's let them walk and just keep drafting so we can miss on half and not re-sign the ones we knock out the park because they get injured.

I really wish we re-sign Taylor for 3 years and see how much he helps Richardson.  As a UF alum who's watched every game since '05, Richardson is special but he's played with garbage compared to his contemporaries.  You can't name one skill position player he played with but Young has like 5 first round NFL picks he played with.  Give him this Oline and Taylor and I think we can have a top 15 offense with a raw rookie QB.  Building his confidence is worth way more than a lost season of paying a hurt RB.  Look at the long game not the immediate.

On 8/24/2023 at 8:10 PM, tikyle said:

This mindset is so silly.  So don't re-sign your standout draft picks.  Who's coming here?  Name the last great FA's who've come here?  If you let your best draft picks all walk due to injury we will end up being the Browns or the Jaguars or the Washington Foosball Team.

I really hate this logic because what's the alternative?  Show me where we've done better than to re-sign Luck, Nelson, Kelly and Leonard.

So let's let them walk and just keep drafting so we can miss on half and not re-sign the ones we knock out the park because they get injured.

I really wish we re-sign Taylor for 3 years and see how much he helps Richardson.  As a UF alum who's watched every game since '05, Richardson is special but he's played with garbage compared to his contemporaries.  You can't name one skill position player he played with but Young has like 5 first round NFL picks he played with.  Give him this Oline and Taylor and I think we can have a top 15 offense with a raw rookie QB.  Building his confidence is worth way more than a lost season of paying a hurt RB.  Look at the long game not the immediate.

I have NO PROBLEM re-signing JT.

AS LONG AS HE IS HEALTHY.

On 8/24/2023 at 8:10 PM, tikyle said:

The Colts have a pretty well documented history of retaining their draft picks sometimes to their detriment. I believe they were leaning toward re-signing JT after the season. Like Ballard said, they aren’t extending anyone right now after a 4 win season.  Especially one who claims to be injured. Is there any point in giving a RB a top of the market deal if the team around him stinks?  I’m sure Grover and Pitt would love an extension. 

9 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The Colts have a pretty well documented history of retaining their draft picks sometimes to their detriment. I believe they were leaning toward re-signing JT after the season. Like Ballard said, they aren’t extending anyone right now after a 4 win season.  Especially one who claims to be injured. Is there any point in giving a RB a top of the market deal if the team around him stinks?  I’m sure Grover and Pitt would love an extension. 

Yes.

This team has a poor roster and a rookie QB.  The last thing you want is the QB to lose confidence or take too many hits.  You know what helps a QB more than anything (except an exceptional Oline) a great RB.  Pay the man while you're not paying anybody else on the offense outside of your LG.  Let him build up Richardson's confidence and experience and if he can't stay healthy get rid of him (a la Edge and Faulk) and find your consolation Addai in the 2024 or 2025 draft.

People on this board are acting like the Colts have a chance at the playoffs this year and if they keep their cap flexibility they could sign or trade for a piece that puts us over the top.  That's not close to the case.  Make the most of this year with what we have and build.  And we're not going to build getting rid of our best player on offense who touches the ball...........

Archived