Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Reportedly Interested In Trading Picks, Freeney

I think at the end of the day the draft will come and go and we will still have Freeney, is it smart at 14 million and him playing a new position? I would still say no given we arent expected to contend for a playoff spot, why eat that kinda contract for one year, but the reward in this case isnt worth it couple that with the fact he is a free agent next year and will want more big money. business and youth and players that have played that position before trump high sack numbers at another position a player has been playing for years.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the key to my opinion. The real cash, to lure guys in on a shopping spree.

You're probably up above $50 million in signing bonuses alone, to fill a $70 million cap gap in one offseason. Then you have your weekly payroll. That's a lot of money in one season.

Let me ask you this: How would you go about spending $70 million in cap space in one offseason?

You don't need to. You spend up to the salary floor and roll the rest into the next year.

Guys will need extensions at some point or a good FA might come available. You can't let it burn a hole in your pocket but you keep it so you can spend cash-over-cap and not go into cap heck.

Our safties will have to come up and play TEs and RBs a heck of a lot. Which they haven't done a lot in the past because we had our linebackers doing that. It also means no more two deep safties and no coverage over the top for our corners. It puts a lot of pressure on the defense but we have come to the conclusion that we are going to try this Freeney.

You don't need to. You spend up to the salary floor and roll the rest into the next year.

Guys will need extensions at some point or a good FA might come available. You can't let it burn a hole in your pocket but you keep it so you can spend cash-over-cap and not go into cap heck.

Which is still like 60 million we have to spend.

You're probably up above $50 million in signing bonuses alone, to fill a $70 million cap gap in one offseason. Then you have your weekly payroll. That's a lot of money in one season.

Well, you could do what the Bucs did and make a bunch of contracts with no signing bonuses. Basically VJax and Nicks I believe both got deals with guaranteed money in the first few years, but contracts that are also easy to walk away from with no cap hit in later years. (If I read that report correctly.)

Well, you could do what the Bucs did and make a bunch of contracts with no signing bonuses. Basically VJax and Nicks I believe both got deals with guaranteed money in the first few years, but contracts that are also easy to walk away from with no cap hit in later years. (If I read that report correctly.)

They effectively just made the signing bonus a roster bonus.

If they could line up some first round / second round picks next season - let him go...

That would be great but I dont see a team offering more than a 3rd at best. Too old and too expensive to offer up much more than that.

They effectively just made the signing bonus a roster bonus.

My point about the bonuses is that it's a lot of real money that has to be spent in one season. The nature of the bonus doesn't really matter in that regard. It's super smart to make it a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus, because then it doesn't get prorated over the life of the contract, and you have more cap space in later years. But you're still paying a lot of money in real cash for one season, plus the rest of the payroll figures.

Isn't the floor something like 95% of the cap?

I believe that starts in 2013.

Yes, and it's 89% iirc.

That's the year we're talking about. The suggestion is to get rid of Freeney, then roll the extra cap space over into 2013, giving us up to $70 million in cap space. If the floor is 89% of the cap, and the cap is $122 million (estimated), then we're looking at mandatory spending of close to $60 million for one offseason. I think that's prohibitive.

We still have four rounds of drafting left. Remember Asante Samuel only gathered a 7th Round Draft Pick. We may package up Freeney and another pick to jump back into the 4th Round. We may do nothing. It is still a little early to say that nothing will be done when we aren't even half way done.

We still have four rounds of drafting left. Remember Asante Samuel only gathered a 7th Round Draft Pick. We may package up Freeney and another pick to jump back into the 4th Round. We may do nothing. It is still a little early to say that nothing will be done when we aren't even half way done.

I agree.... we still have some flexibility and a package deal could still position us into the 4th round.

Either way we're in the midst of a two-year overhaul and the issue of Freeney's fit in our defense and our salary cap will be settled no later than next spring.

I'm still hoping we settle it now because Dwight's shelf life and true fit in Pagano's system are clearly question marks. Even if he works out perfectly in whatever we do on defense.... it's simply not worth a 19M cap hit, knowing his age and long-term value.