Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Reportedly Interested In Trading Picks, Freeney

Dtman513

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord, I do. We need to unload that albatross of a contract. I like Freeney, but he simply isn't worth the money he's going to make this yr..

How many times must i say Drop him like a Hot Tater.I agree Balzer too many people have Freeney envy and dont understand 8.5 percent of our cap is in 1 man.1 man who cannot produce 19 million dollars worth of production.Trade him for a 5th IDC 6th even get him off the books.Too many believe we will keep him I dont nor did i ever buy in on Freeney is a Colt statement.Makes 0 business sense to keep him.

Freeney for Soliai (sp?) could solve the NT position, if player for player is considered.

I can see most anything happening.

I believe we may have quite a number of players we're willing to trade, including recent draft picks.

We have way too many guys who MAY work out in the new system.

Freeney for Soliai (sp?) could solve the NT position, if player for player is considered.

I can see most anything happening.

I believe we may have quite a number of players we're willing to trade, including recent draft picks.

We have way too many guys who MAY work out in the new system.

Not going to happen.

As I realized a couple days ago, he has been gone from minicamps this week.

Coincidence?

I'm thinking not.

I believe it's been due to personal reasons, which could mean he's not interested in wasting his time trying to learn a new position, and a trade is imminent.

I would like to trade Freeney only because he is obviously unwilling to restructure his contract for us and that cap # is outrageous for us

This to me is why I'm not sure he is tradeable at all. If you were Freeney, why would you walk away from $14 million? A new contract with another team if there is a trade would likely be more in the $5-$6 million a year range, for maybe three years? So would a team give him $8 million as a signing bonus, $6 million base this year to make up for what he would walk away from? If Freeney moves, I think the money has to be superior to what he has in his pocket, not less, which makes this so tough. Based on LaConfora's cap numbers nearly a month ago, I see nine teams who can fit his existing numbers.

As we look around at the roster, the cap, the carnage of 2011, should we have all been wearing a body condom while with Polian? It was great while it was happening (the winning), but I think we need penicillin now.

I'm thinking not.

I believe it's been due to personal reasons, which could mean he's not interested in wasting his time trying to learn a new position, and a trade is imminent.

Or the team told him not to be there and they agreed to call it 'personal reasons'.

Once Peyton was released, everyone has changed their stances on keeping our all stars. Sometimes it takes a while for common sense to rise above affection for those players!

Agree Freeney envy is unreal if those thinking hes worth another 14 mill this yearwould,stop and look around what we could add in multiple additions.EV1 look for 3 people you would of liked signed then say we should of dropped him sooner.:(

Which part? Soliai? I know, but some were anxious for him to be available. So, it would've made sense.

No one is going to trade a guy they just signed months ago (and gave a big signing bonus to, which they would have to eat as well), for a player who is being traded from a team who is transitioning to a 3-4, when they also run a 3-4, and would also have to absorb his $14M salary in addition to the guaranteed money given to the player they are trading away.

Or the team told him not to be there and they agreed to call it 'personal reasons'.

Hopefully, they have something in the works that will lead to an imminent trade. Just a matter of working out the details for amount of picks, player/s, and working a new contract with his new team. Im being optimistic, but I hope im right.

Phillip B Wilson @pwilson24

#Colts DE Dwight Freeney came off practice field all smiles after first minicamp practice as shifting OLB and DE.

#Colts tried to break Dwight Freeney in at OLB. A QB threw a pass right at him. He dropped it. "I haven't caught one since high school."

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer

Freeney was in good spirits today, saying he's excited to play for Pagano, having talked to Ray Lewis and Ed Reed about the coach & scheme.

No one is going to trade a guy they just signed months ago (and gave a big signing bonus to, which they would have to eat as well), for a player who is being traded from a team who is transitioning to a 3-4, when they also run a 3-4, and would also have to absorb his $14M salary in addition to the guaranteed money given to the player they are trading away.

I agree that they won't trade Solia, but Miami is going to a 4-3 this yr..

I agree that they won't trade Solia, but Miami is going to a 4-3 this yr..

How about no trade Freeney no job?Freeney doesnt hold the reigns here.His contract can be dropped so he would be looking at what offers?Freeney was only holding the restructure reigns not the release or trade ones.Drop him like a Hot Tater.

Phillip B Wilson@pwilson24

#Colts DE Dwight Freeney came off practice field all smiles after first minicamp practice as shifting OLB and DE.

Phillip B Wilson@pwilson24

#Colts tried to break Dwight Freeney in at OLB. A QB threw a pass right at him. He dropped it. "I haven't caught one since high school."

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

Freeney was in good spirits today, saying he's excited to play for Pagano, having talked to Ray Lewis and Ed Reed about the coach & scheme.

That's some good news.

I don't want Freeney gone.

I'd just rather he stay for less cap impact.

It's still not too late for a restructure.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer

wait a minute...I retract what I just said..

I didnt see these quotes

I have not heard Dwight Freeny one time say he's excited about the new direction of the Colts...

..and eager to find his role...

To me that indicates that he wants to be traded.....,.and we need more picks

Umm, look up a couple of posts at what CashMoney posted ...

Edit: never mind ...

Our thanks to ED Reed and Ray Lewis....

(Of course..if Dwight is traded to Baltimore this weekend..I might want to retract that, too)

Why would Freeney not want to play here, but want to play in Baltimore? We are going to play the same defense.

I just hope they can find a team dumb enough to take that contract, or Freeney comes around and agree's to a new contract with a new team.

Why would Freeney not want to play here, but want to play in Baltimore? We are going to play the same defense.

I just hope they can find a team dumb enough to take that contract, or Freeney comes around and agree's to a new contract with a new team.

Why would he play in Baltimore?

Beacuse he'd be playing with Ed Reed and Ray Lewis...........see what I'm saying?.....

How about no trade Freeney no job?Freeney doesnt hold the reigns here.His contract can be dropped so he would be looking at what offers?Freeney was only holding the restructure reigns not the release or trade ones.Drop him like a Hot Tater.

In the new scheme, Freeney will have his hand on the ground or be rushing the passer 90% of the time. His actual role and responsibilities aren't going to change that much. If anything, he should be more productive because the defense won't be as vanilla and other teams won't be able to double team him as much. Mathis is the one who will be playing a completely different position....giving him a contract is much more of a risk than keeping Freeney on the roster (I'm glad we did give Mathis a contract btw).

I understand Freeney's cap hit, and have said many times, it is a lot of money, but it is what it is. If the Colts could actually get a solid return in a trade, then I would be for them going for it. However, for the most part, that is not how the NFL works. The Falcons just got AS for a 7th rounder. I would prefer to keep Freeney as opposed to trading him for a late round pick. The real crux of this issue is whether or not using the $14 million that would be saved as a result of trading/cutting Freeney on a few mid level players will really help the roster more than Freeney? I have to imagine that is what Grigs and Pagano have been discussing, and I trust they will make the correct call.