Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two Key Questions for Anthony Richardson

NewColtsFan

The answer to AR starting is like working a jigsaw puzzle. If placing the Richardson piece allows you to identify what the picture of the puzzle is, given the placement of the other pieces, then start him. I'd say this is when at least 3 coaches decide that he is ready, and the puzzle's picture is identified.

Jim Irsay should be able go give input and opinions, but not be able to case a veto vote even though he's the owner. The damage a loose cannon can do is immeasurable.

The real question is how much can Richardson play and keep his confidence intact. Playing = learning, Success = Confidence, but mistakes and sacks hurt confidence. The playbook will be limited more with Richardson than with Minshew, especially at the beginning. The defenses will be aware of this. There are lots of variables and starting is only a result of improvement, not a real part of the process. 

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think I was with you with the first sentence.   And I think you lost me after that.

I think Richardson might be the most unique QB prospect I can recall.   Because 13 games and less than 1000 college snaps means AR is going to make his college mistakes at the NFL level.   And so I think Richardson needs to be handled carefully.   And you seem to be saying keep giving him more.  Throw him into the deep end and tell him to learn to swim.   In other words,  take the same approach the Colts took with Peyton his rookie year when he threw all those interceptions and the team went 3-13.  In the long run, it worked out. 

But the difference is Peyton started three and a half seasons in college,  so he had a ton of experience.   Anthony has very little,  so I don’t favor taking the same approach.   

If I’ve misunderstood you or mischaracterized anything you said, it wasn’t deliberate. 

That's a fair enough take.  :) 

Archived