Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck will be eligible for the HOF in 2024

ADnum1

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

For some reason I cannot edit my post.  My numbers are not entirely accurate.

Over the first 6 seasons for any QB:

Luck had 171 passing TD’s (3rd all-time), trailing only Dan Marino and Patrick Mahomes.

23,671 passing yards (4th all-time), trailing only Peyton, Marino, Stafford and Mahomes.

275.2 passing yards per game.  Trailing only Stafford and Mahomes.

One of the NFL's best QBs before he retired.

@2006Coltsbestever

Luck only had 4 seasons that really stood out = 2012-2014, and 2018. All were arguably great. He carried the Colts from 2012-2014 to three 11 win seasons. He is also on that short list of QB's that have thrown for at least 40 TD's in a season = 2014. In his short time here, he also had 4 playoff wins.

I will never forget Andrew and what he brought to the table. 

To your question, it is no unfortunately. He didn't play long enough. Does he deserve to be in ROH, yes he does. The way he retired angered a lot of people and I was even upset about it. Having said that, that doesn't take away his great play he gave us for roughly 4 seasons.

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

Sure remind me in the morning. It’s past my bedtime as I’m old

I hope you can find it.   On my phone, I have a file for all Colts related stories.   Turns out, all the stories I have from 2019, the links are no longer active.   The headlines are still there, but not the actual stories.   But as far as I could tell, Luck himself wasn’t giving interviews.  Everyone else was talking about him because he really wasn’t practicing.  

Anyway, thanks in advance for your effort.   

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

Ummm you have me completely confused with someone else. I may have been born in Chicago but moved from there almost 40 years ago. I’ve lived all over this state from Gary to Jeffersonville, including Indy. I was also homeless for 6 months in Indy at age 19.

Currently, I live just south of Mooresville, right off Indiana 67. And not only do I attend games, I also used to work security for the Colts for 4 years. My grandfather also took me to the very first Patriots / Colts game in December 1984. So yes, I fully understand the significance of the RoH and HoF

Now, I admit, I haven’t attended a regular game however since Dec 2019 but I usually hit TC or a preseason game as time allows. 

as for Luck. He deserves to live the life he chooses to live now that he has retired. He deserves nothing else from the Colts or fans. Ever

That’s a heckuva life story.   There’s much to be proud of, overcoming so many hurdles and obstacles.  Thanks for sharing it with all of us.   

16 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

NFL Rookie Watch on Twitter: "Andrew Luck will officially be eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2024. Luck’s stats over his first six seasons in the NFL were mind BOGGLING.

Luck had 171 passing TD’s (3rd all-time), trailing only Dan Marino and Patrick Mahomes.

23,671 passing yards (4th all-time), trailing only Stafford and Mahommes.

https://t.co/sl2KzHmkZz  Twitter

Should he get in ?

Spit Take GIF

Nope. 

Andrew Luck was wasted potential, best way to describe him in all honesty. Always thought he didn't have passion for the game as he other interests in life and was rich before football. Still think that. How he quit before the season started was one of the most disgusting acts a player has done to his team of someone of his caliber. 

Never liked his personality, came off as fake to me. Didn't like him as a football player, seemed liked we also started slow and he was more book smart than football smart until 2018 when Reich worked with him and it was too late by then. He's ruined this team for the last 5 years now trying to replace him, and fans that have dedicated their time to this team since at least 2012 have had to deal with this crap from Luck and now a hodgepodge of one-year veteran QBs to fill the position. It may be til 2024 or 2025 until the Colts get going again, and that's if Richardson is a hit.

I will never forgive Luck, especially as he took Irsays money and never came back, taking one last shot at this franchise from a salary cap perspective (even if we weren't competitive at that point). If he ever came back and made an appearance, I would boo him and start a "you suck" chant. WWE wrestlers can handle it for heelish tactics that are kayfabe, Luck can handle it for being a real life heel and hurting the fanbase he was suppose to represent. 

IMO, I'd have rather him just be a bust, at least then we could have had a franchise QB by now and been competing again.

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nope. 

Andrew Luck was wasted potential, best way to describe him in all honesty. Always thought he didn't have passion for the game as he other interests in life and was rich before football. Still think that. How he quit before the season started was one of the most disgusting acts a player has done to his team of someone of his caliber. 

Never liked his personality, came off as fake to me. Didn't like him as a football player, seemed liked we also started slow and he was more book smart than football smart until 2018 when Reich worked with him and it was too late by then. He's ruined this team for the last 5 years now trying to replace him, and fans that have dedicated their time to this team since at least 2012 have had to deal with this crap from Luck and now a hodgepodge of one-year veteran QBs to fill the position. It may be til 2024 or 2025 until the Colts get going again, and that's if Richardson is a hit.

I will never forgive Luck, especially as he took Irsays money and never came back, taking one last shot at this franchise from a salary cap perspective (even if we weren't competitive at that point). If he ever came back and made an appearance, I would boo him and start a "you suck" chant. WWE wrestlers can handle it for heelish tactics that are kayfabe, Luck can handle it for being a real life heel and hurting the fanbase he was suppose to represent. 

IMO, I'd have rather him just be a bust, at least then we could have had a franchise QB by now and been competing again.

Tell us how you really feel mood homer GIF

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As someone who is 66, I understand your post completely.     Appreciate your help.   Not trying to give you homework.   

here’s one from 4 August 2019…  18 days prior to his “retirement” . Clearly says at least twice that he will be ready to start week 1. 

peter: “Opening day is 5 weeks away, any doubt in your mind that you will play?”

Luck: “No, I certainly believe I will.”

Evidence is enough for me.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As someone who is 66, I understand your post completely.     Appreciate your help.   Not trying to give you homework.   

I chose to use a video so no one could say that he was misquoted. There’s also an article on the athletic that quotes luck on August 16th, 2019 as saying “We are taking it slow, but there is no doubt that I will be ready on September 8”. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Luck broke a lot of hearts of a fan base when he did what he did. I just watched parts of the Colts/Broncos Divisional Round in 2014, we were on our way. It fell apart after that. We got trounced by the Pats in the Championship Game and never recovered.

Never recovered?

2018: 10-6 plus a playoff win on the road in what was Luck’s best statistical year despite not having a 100 percent arm all year.  

Poppycock!     

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s a heckuva life story.   There’s much to be proud of, overcoming so many hurdles and obstacles.  Thanks for sharing it with all of us.   

Thanks. To me, it’s just how life goes. Everyone has obstacles to overcome, I’m not special or unique in anyway. I had my eyes opened wide seeing my best friend bleeding out on the sidewalk at 12 years old. So mom got me the heck out of Chicago. Had my grandparents get me out

33 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I would put Trent Richardson into the Hall of fame before I put Luck. True story

maybe we can put all the quitters into one HoF class. lets include Eddy Lacy and how he quit on his NFL diet. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because Luck’s career wasn’t long enough or successful enough.    His career was just 7 seasons long and he actually only played 5.5 seasons.  

That puts Luck in the Hall of the Very Good.   Or the Hall of What Might’ve Been.  But not in the Hall of Fame, which is for the Best of the Best.  Luck didn’t achieve that.  

Of course…. As I like to say….  Your mileage may vary.  

Gales Sayers- 5 year career.  By your reasoning he shouldn't be in the HOF. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Never recovered?

2018: 10-6 plus a playoff win on the road in what was Luck’s best statistical year despite not having a 100 percent arm all year.  

Poppycock!     

We had a nice year in 2018 but once we went up against KC, most of us pretty much knew what the outcome would be. After 2014, for 3 years it got worse and worse. We had 1 rebound season but wasn't on the level of the Pats or Chiefs at that point. JMO.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

In your opinion.  

Of course. Take it for what it’s worth. It may or may not end up being the popular opinion but will stand by that even if for some stupid reason he somehow makes it

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

here’s one from 4 August 2019…  18 days prior to his “retirement” . Clearly says at least twice that he will be ready to start week 1. 

peter: “Opening day is 5 weeks away, any doubt in your mind that you will play?”

Luck: “No, I certainly believe I will.”

Evidence is enough for me.

I chose to use a video so no one could say that he was misquoted. There’s also an article on the athletic that quotes luck on August 16th, 2019 as saying “We are taking it slow, but there is no doubt that I will be ready on September 8”. 

But somehow this isn't evidence that he honestly believed he would play week 1? This isn't evidence that he was going through rehab to get ready to play with and for his teammates?

When it was LATER revealed that his lower leg injury was not healing as fast and that he would miss part of the season and go through extensive rehab all over again, something he promised himself he would not do again, THEN he knew it was time to retire. He did not this during this interview.

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

Nick Foles won a Super Bowl, should he be in the HoF

You let your personal reasons get in the way of how very good or even great Luck was. Comparing Foles to Luck is an insult and you know it. Foles could carry his Jock strap, I will give you that for a daily cleaning Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV . Put Andrew on that Philly team and he wins a SB, they were loaded in every area.

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

But somehow this isn't evidence that he honestly believed he would play week 1? This isn't evidence that he was going through rehab to get ready to play with and for his teammates?

When it was LATER revealed that his lower leg injury was not healing as fast and that he would miss part of the season and go through extensive rehab all over again, something he promised himself he would not do again, THEN he knew it was time to retire. He did not this during this interview.

His own comments in the December interview speak to that. He said he knew he was going to retire before OTAs even started. So yeah it’s plenty of evidence

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You let your personal reasons get in the way of how very good or even great Luck was. Comparing Foles to Luck is an insult and you know it. Foles could carry his Jock strap, I will give you that for a daily cleaning Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV . Put Andrew on that Philly team and he wins a SB, they were loaded in every area.

Meh. He was good. But not hall of fame good. Sorry 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nope. 

He did set us back. I said it would for 5 years, it is now year 5. Lets see what AR has got? At least we squeezed in 1 good season with Rivers in between.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He did set us back. I said it would for 5 years, it is now year 5. Lets see what AR has got? At least we squeezed in 1 good season with Rivers in between.

Yeah, the Rivers year was fun. There was a bit of hope heading into the playoffs as well. 

I can imagine you were appalled with my post lol, not even a like on it from you! haha 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, the Rivers year was fun. There was a bit of hope heading into the playoffs as well. 

I can imagine you were appalled with my post lol, not even a like on it from you! haha 

Not really appalled because I understand why you feel like you do, same for @csmopar. I get it. My emotions ranged from shocked to disappointed, and upset when Andrew called it quits. I knew then we were screwed for a while. Rivers was really fun, that team was pretty good.

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

His own comments in the December interview speak to that. He said he knew he was going to retire before OTAs even started. So yeah it’s plenty of evidence

Here's the timeline from that article:

" Luck told his family and close friends. Wilson advised him to sleep on it. When they spoke two days later, Luck was resolute. Ballard tried to appeal to Luck's competitive fire, but it was gone. Reich implored him to not rush a big decision, but Luck didn't think it had been rushed. When Wilson met with Ballard to finalize the paperwork, both men cried. Luck savored his final days in pro football."  - ESPN Andrew Luck finally reveals why he walked away from the NFL

The decision to retire was made within a few days of his actual retirement. He admitted to having thoughts about retiring, but kept working to come back until his body forced him to decide. The answers he provided in the interview were genuine, at the time.

He did say he regretted the timing of his retirement, but that alludes more to how it affected the team in hindsight. He does not regret retiring, rather he wished the team could have done better without him.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Read my above lengthy post. I agree Andrew should not make the HOFame. Doesn't mean he wasn't great for a short time. Foles isn't even close in that discussion. 

I wasn’t saying Foles was as good as luck. I was pointing out to the poster that said Luck would be in if he’d won a Super Bowl. My point was just winning a superbowl doesn’t deem one HoF worthy 

22 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Here's the timeline from that article:

" Luck told his family and close friends. Wilson advised him to sleep on it. When they spoke two days later, Luck was resolute. Ballard tried to appeal to Luck's competitive fire, but it was gone. Reich implored him to not rush a big decision, but Luck didn't think it had been rushed. When Wilson met with Ballard to finalize the paperwork, both men cried. Luck savored his final days in pro football."  - ESPN Andrew Luck finally reveals why he walked away from the NFL

The decision to retire was made within a few days of his actual retirement. He admitted to having thoughts about retiring, but kept working to come back until his body forced him to decide. The answers he provided in the interview were genuine, at the time.

He did say he regretted the timing of his retirement, but that alludes more to how it affected the team in hindsight. He does not regret retiring, rather he wished the team could have done better without him.

Which proves my point entirely. he had decided to retire and still chose to mislead everyone. 

Andrew Luck does not belong in the Hall of Fame.  At the beginning of his career, his trajectory was such that he was certainly on his way there.  Even having the one good year in 2018 after his injury seasons seemed to put him back on that path.  But, really, his career is more about tragedy and what could have been.

As for the Ring of Honor, if Bob Irsay and Bill Brooks are in it, then Luck can certainly be in it too.

I agree that there would be a certain number of boo's from the crowd.  But I also think that those boos would be, for the most part, drowned out by the cheers.

For good or for bad, Andrew Luck is part of Indianapolis Colts lore.  He deserves the Superman cape he wore from the broken play touchdown vs the Chiefs.

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Andrew Luck does not belong in the Hall of Fame.  At the beginning of his career, his trajectory was such that he was certainly on his way there.  Even having the one good year in 2018 after his injury seasons seemed to put him back on that path.  But, really, his career is more about tragedy and what could have been.

As for the Ring of Honor, if Bob Irsay and Bill Brooks are in it, then Luck can certainly be in it too.

I agree that there would be a certain number of boo's from the crowd.  But I also think that those boos would be, for the most part, drowned out by the cheers.

For good or for bad, Andrew Luck is part of Indianapolis Colts lore.  He deserves the Superman cape he wore from the broken play touchdown vs the Chiefs.

Jim Harbaugh is the ROH as well. I love Jim but Andrew was much better.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jim Harbaugh is the ROH as well. I love Jim but Andrew was much better.

And Jim played fewer years in a Colts uniform than Luck did.  Jim's there because of the 1995 playoffs.  And deservedly so.  Just like Luck, it's part of Colts lore.

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

For once we agree. I don't think the ceremony would be very positive. I don't disagree with Luck retiring. When it's time, it's time. My biggest issue with Luck was that I would have hoped that   he would have left the org in a better state.  

I think the writing on the wall for how the ceremony would go is already showing itself. Bring up Luck now 4 years later and you have a bunch of people with negative things to say. Typically negativity fades over time but this one is hanging around.  There will be enough people still upset the boos would be noticeable.  I personally respect his decision as a person, he wanted to save his body and be a dad. Kudos to him, I get it. However, as a player/employee I have little respect for him.  Just another person with tons of potential that wouldn’t do what it takes. You can’t teach what he had and let his entire team and fan base down while guys are killing themselves just to hang onto a roster spot.  I’m able to separate the two but guessing most who are still upset can’t. 

20 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Maybe given more time, and depending on where this team is at in 5 years, maybe. But the difference between Jim H and Luck is that when Jim left, it wasn’t by choice and it didn’t destroy the franchise’s trajectory 

Archived