Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass Protection

Coffeedrinker

I was looking at some pictures on Colts.com and they have a great series with AC going against J. Chick. So I thought I would break it down and show the good and the bad in each.

74_castonzo%5C2011_0802_tc047_stoll.jpg

Even if you could not see the QB, it's an obvious pass look.

The good - AC seems to be in a great, balanced position, knees are bent, slight bend at the waist, back straigt and arms ready to deliver a punch.

The bad - Would like to see that left foot flat instead of on his toes. Looking too much to the left, his head should be more centered and watching his area with just his eyes.

Overall - Good starting position but not perfect.

74_castonzo%5C2011_0802_tc046_stoll.jpg

This is his best position of all the ones I will show.

The good - Excellent kick step. A kick step should be 2-3 feet and he's well on his way. He almost has his foot planted and Chick is barely out of his stance yet. Very good quickness on AC's part. He's maintaining his balance and body positioning, knees still bent (but not overly so), back still straight and still bending at the waste.

The bad - (and these are kind of nit-picky). That left arm, you want it coming out more to the side whereas his is going back a bit more. Eyes are locked on Chick, you can't really tell because it's a photo he may be looking around but in the NFL you have to keep your head on a swivel so you can see if other people are coming towards your zone.

Overall - Looks like excellent positioning and movement off the snap. For an olineman this is 80% of the battle... if you get in good position before the other guy gets in his you are going to win a lot of battes.

74_castonzo%5C2011_0802_tc044_stoll.jpg

If you were to teach a HS LT what his position should be after his kick slide, this would be a good picture to show.

The good - kick foot is planted and flat. Knees are still bent, back is still straight and he is still bending at the waist. He is bringing his right foot over and down and he still has plenty of time to do this because Chick is still a good two feet away. Once he gets that right foot planted he is in perfect position to move to the left or right with equal easy and his body is still in the power position so he can still spring into the defender if he tries to bull rush.

The bad - Arms are too low. He's opening up his chest for the defender to get into, once that happens he will lose any leverage advantage he has from the rest of his form

Overall - If he gets into position like this consistently through-out a game and through the year he will become a premier LT in the league. Funny looking at the players in the background Diem, Pollack, Devan and Afalava are all watching AC.

74_castonzo%5C2011_0802_tc043_stoll.jpg

Pretty much the same good and bad , body positioning and balance is excellent, would like to see a bit more bending at the waist to be in a stronger position but still a solid base and stance. At this points his hands should be right at the height of his diaphragm. At this point is Chick gets to his chest AC is either going to get bull rushed or called for holding because the only place he will be able to put his hands in on the outside of the shoulder pads.

Without having seen play just by looking at these pictures I would say he will be penciled in as the starting LT next week after he gets his feet wet in the first preseason game. Very impressed with his balance and technique, if he has any upper body strength he should be in the 85-88% success blocking through-out his rookie season. For those that don't know, an elite NFL LT wins about 95% of their battles, a good LT should be in the 88-95% range and a serviceable LT below 88%. That being said, a rookie LT who gets in that 85-88% range, IMO, is showing the skills to move into that elite range in a year or two.

Thanks coffeedrinker - amazing breakdown. Did you play / coach football at any level?

I would love to hear your thoughts / breakdowns after Saturday.

He used to coach the London Sillynannies of the Girls' 14 and Under League.

(I'm just bustin' on him... CD is one of my old arch nemeses/buds.)

The good - kick foot is planted and flat. Knees are still bent, back is still straight and he is still bending at the waist. He is bringing his right foot over and down and he still has plenty of time to do this because Chick is still a good two feet away. Once he gets that right foot planted he is in perfect position to move to the left or right with equal easy and his body is still in the power position so he can still spring into the defender if he tries to bull rush.

It's so unfair. He's basically in perfect position, but the Frathis spin move would cross him up and the quarterback would be dead.

When we played the Pats in 2009, they put the rookie Seabass Vollmer at left tackle, and everyone talked about how he was handling Freeney's rush, ignoring the fact that Freeney was beating him to the inside and the outside, but he was getting help from a tight end or a back on almost every play, and sometimes a guard. Nothing against Seabass, because he did a good job, but there isn't a single tackle in the NFL that can handle Freeney one on one. He'll win some battles, but he'll be beat more.

Anyways, back to AC... This is what going to O-Line U (Boston College) does. He's technically sound. His hands are too low, but this might have been a footwork drill. I went back and watched him at the Combine after we drafted him, and in his pass pro drills, he kept his hands up for the most part. He didn't get good grades on his arm punch, and maybe that's because he doesn't get his hands up quick enough.

Interesting stuff. Nice breakdown.

It's so unfair. He's basically in perfect position, but the Frathis spin move would cross him up and the quarterback would be dead.

that's another reason why it's so important for him to get his hands up. If Freeney or another speed rusher gets to his chest and spins it's all over, if you get your hands on him and arms extended the spin move it won't do anything.

When we played the Pats in 2009, they put the rookie Seabass Vollmer at left tackle, and everyone talked about how he was handling Freeney's rush, ignoring the fact that Freeney was beating him to the inside and the outside, but he was getting help from a tight end or a back on almost every play, and sometimes a guard. Nothing against Seabass, because he did a good job, but there isn't a single tackle in the NFL that can handle Freeney one on one. He'll win some battles, but he'll be beat more.

I remember that game and I remember thinking the same thing... Freeney was at least doubled every play and tripled on about 40% and they talked about how good Vollmer was doing.

Anyways, back to AC... This is what going to O-Line U (Boston College) does. He's technically sound. His hands are too low, but this might have been a footwork drill. I went back and watched him at the Combine after we drafted him, and in his pass pro drills, he kept his hands up for the most part. He didn't get good grades on his arm punch, and maybe that's because he doesn't get his hands up quick enough.

Interesting stuff. Nice breakdown.

Could be it wasn't part of the drill. Which is good and bad. Good because why expend energy if you don't have to, bad because that means he has to think about doing it, rather than it being natural.

Great write up CD. I always enjoy your input about offensive lineman since I freely admit I do not know squat about offensive line play.

So what is your thoughts on the day one line?

I am just basing this on what I've read from the Colts and forum members who have attended camp, so I reserve the right to change it after a couple of preseason games.

LT - Castonzo

LG - McClendon

C - Saturday

RG - Pollack

RT - Diem

Not terribly exciting or prophetic but I don't think wholesale changes nor do I like the idea of two rooks starting.

I for one do not now the techniques and technical parts of football as you do CD, but for the arms and punch of Castonzo everyone is talking about, is that coachable? Im guessing that it's just a matter of practice, and Castonzo has the body/skills to be good at it right?

Basically is the arm punch easy to fix and is it necessary for a OL to have a good one

I for one do not now the techniques and technical parts of football as you do CD, but for the arms and punch of Castonzo everyone is talking about, is that coachable? Im guessing that it's just a matter of practice, and Castonzo has the body/skills to be good at it right?

Basically is the arm punch easy to fix and is it necessary for a OL to have a good one

The arm positioning is teachable the arm punch not so much because arm punch is all about strength, fast twitch muscles and timing. The timing can be improved but you either genetically have the fast twitch muscles or you don't. And I don't think AC's punch is going to be a problem, I think he just needs to keep his hands in position so when he delivers the punch it will land in the correct spot.

I still wonder how he will do against diffent fronts. He might struggle more early on against a three man front that shifts a lot. Blitzburg will be his test by fire, hopefully not only does he get hos technique down, but learns how to comunicate and read a d

That is part of the learning curve and why, if a player has the work ethic and desire, they get better every year. But there will be some rough patches, which is why I think he will grade out at 85-88%.

that's another reason why it's so important for him to get his hands up. If Freeney or another speed rusher gets to his chest and spins it's all over, if you get your hands on him and arms extended the spin move it won't do anything.

I wouldn't say it won't do anything, but it would be less effective. Can't let any rusher get into your chest, much less someone as shifty as Freeney. Although, it seems all you have to do is hold anymore, since the refs haven't called a hold on Freeny in about three years. I swear dude gets held every pass play.

Could be it wasn't part of the drill. Which is good and bad. Good because why expend energy if you don't have to, bad because that means he has to think about doing it, rather than it being natural.

Should be a natural thing. He could have been tired, or trying to conserve energy like you said. But if you don't do it in practice, you're not gonna do it in the game.

I wouldn't say it won't do anything, but it would be less effective. Can't let any rusher get into your chest, much less someone as shifty as Freeney. Although, it seems all you have to do is hold anymore, since the refs haven't called a hold on Freeny in about three years. I swear dude gets held every pass play.

If I had the time, I would like to look at each game and compare Freeney's stats with tackles, sacks and QB pressures where a holding penalty was called on the guy blocking him and when there was no call. I'd bet his effectiveness goes way up when there is a call, especially if the call is made early in the game because I agree, Freeney is held and more blatantly held then any other player I've seen.