Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Injuries are Already Piling Up


1959Colts

Recommended Posts

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/02/michael-pittman-jr-dealing-with-a-hip-injury/

 

Not even mentioning Leonard still being out...

 

Colts wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr.’s offseason work has been interrupted by an injury.

Head coach Shane Steichen told reporters on Friday that Pittman is dealing with a hip injury. Steichen indicated the issue is a minor one and the team will likely make sure it has totally healed before Pittman returns to the field...

 

...Steichen also said that three rookies are dealing with injuries. Third-round wide receiver Josh Downs hurt his knee, fifth-round tight end Will Mallory has a foot injury, and fifth-round cornerback Darius Rush has hamstring trouble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/02/michael-pittman-jr-dealing-with-a-hip-injury/

 

Not even mentioning Leonard still being out...

 

Colts wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr.’s offseason work has been interrupted by an injury.

Head coach Shane Steichen told reporters on Friday that Pittman is dealing with a hip injury. Steichen indicated the issue is a minor one and the team will likely make sure it has totally healed before Pittman returns to the field...

 

...Steichen also said that three rookies are dealing with injuries. Third-round wide receiver Josh Downs hurt his knee, fifth-round tight end Will Mallory has a foot injury, and fifth-round cornerback Darius Rush has hamstring trouble.


These are all minor.   And it’s not uncommon for rookies to have these kind of minor issues.    Many have either been playing or working out for more than a year straight.   Their bodies are understandably fatigued.   This is common across all 32 teams.   It’s not just a Colts thing.   
 

Starting in mid-June, players will get about 45 days off.    It’s badly needed and very much welcomed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Probably why we worked out Perriman today. If we’re gonna have all these injuries already with the WR, may as well bring in Hopkins. 


Hopkins doesn’t want Indy and I think the feeling is mutual.   Not a good fit for right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


These are all minor.   And it’s not uncommon for rookies to have these kind of minor issues.    Many have either been playing or working out for more than a year straight.   Their bodies are understandably fatigued.   This is common across all 32 teams.   It’s not just a Colts thing.   
 

Starting in mid-June, players will get about 45 days off.    It’s badly needed and very much welcomed.  

I see the article quotes Steichen saying Pittman's is minor... Do you know for sure that the injuries to Downs, Mallory and Rush are minor?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I see the article quotes Steichen saying Pittman's is minor... Do you know for sure that the injuries to Downs, Mallory and Rush are minor?


I don’t know for 100 percent certainty.   But I’d say roughly 90-95 percent.   The coach hasn’t said anything beyond normal soft tissue injury comments.   
 

Brents broke a wrist and had a procedure or two.  But that was several months ago, long before the draft.  The Colts said he’s sitting out now as a precaution because he can’t jam anyone.   So there’s no point in playing him.   He’s expected to be 100 percent good in late July when trading camp officially opens. 
 

Hope this helps.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Hopkins did say he was willing to go anywhere.


I’m sure he did.   He’s trying to drum up interest in himself and see if he can create a possible bidding war.   
 

Depending on what might be offered,  Hopkins might have to decide between a bigger contract from a lesser team or a lesser contract from a better team who might make a deep playoff run that could be loaded with incentives.  
 

The Colts have so many young receivers, (WRs & TEs) in a year like this, I suspect Ballard and Steichen will want to play the kids to find out how good they might be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not concerned - at all - at this point in time.

 

MPJ's injury was indicated as "a minor hip injury".

 

The Colts knew about Josh Down's injury previously - and - are being cautious.

 

Not practicing at OTA's is NO BIG DEAL!!

 

Not practicing in training camp - or - the week before a game - THAT'S a big deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Injuries in May is like the salad bar at a steak house. No one cares


Good one.  
 

injuries are going to happen, they always do.  And people here will freak out.  They always do.

 

Next man up.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/02/michael-pittman-jr-dealing-with-a-hip-injury/

 

Not even mentioning Leonard still being out...

 

Colts wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr.’s offseason work has been interrupted by an injury.

Head coach Shane Steichen told reporters on Friday that Pittman is dealing with a hip injury. Steichen indicated the issue is a minor one and the team will likely make sure it has totally healed before Pittman returns to the field...

 

...Steichen also said that three rookies are dealing with injuries. Third-round wide receiver Josh Downs hurt his knee, fifth-round tight end Will Mallory has a foot injury, and fifth-round cornerback Darius Rush has hamstring trouble.

I’m telling ya, it’s the turf… been saying it for 10 years. Irsay needs to dump the turf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Just watched the SS presser.   Everyone that was out had “little” injuries.  Little hip, little hammie, little foot.  No…big…deal, lol!
 

Had to laugh about how he was describing them.  


He has the funniest descriptions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’m telling ya, it’s the turf… been saying it for 10 years. Irsay needs to dump the turf

If you’ve been saying it for 10 years you missed it being replaced in 2018 yet the injuries still happen.  
 

here is a link to the thread about it:

 

also the Colts have had injury problems both at home and away or on grass.  I don’t know what’s causing it.  Probably a combination of factors like training staff, the fact football is a violent game, the type of players the Colts like, and even just old fashioned bad luck.  
 

if it were just one simple thing to change the Colts would do it.  They would be dumb not too.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the reason why I generally get stressed out about the season with the team. I can't stand all the injuries. Yes, I'm probably overreacting, and since I pay more attention to the Colts than anyone I probably don't notice other teams injuries, but this gets old every year where you have 2-3 days of OTAs or 2-3 days of training camp, and 10 players are already sitting out. Literally a third of our rookie class is already hurt in some way. The only player who should be hurt is JuJu, as we knew that drafting him and is supposed to be ready for training camp. 

 

Just gets old after a while. How can I get excited when Pittman, Downs, and Woods are all out after less than two weeks of OTAs? Then to top it off, Richardson isn't even getting first-team reps at QB. I love Minshew and was thrilled to get him, but cmon. No one can get excited about Minshew when comparing him to Richardson, and it's hard to get excited when Pittman and Downs aren't practicing as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is the reason why I generally get stressed out about the season with the team. I can't stand all the injuries. Yes, I'm probably overreacting, and since I pay more attention to the Colts than anyone I probably don't notice other teams injuries, but this gets old every year where you have 2-3 days of OTAs or 2-3 days of training camp, and 10 players are already sitting out. Literally a third of our rookie class is already hurt in some way. The only player who should be hurt is JuJu, as we knew that drafting him and is supposed to be ready for training camp. 

 

Just gets old after a while. How can I get excited when Pittman, Downs, and Woods are all out after less than two weeks of OTAs? Then to top it off, Richardson isn't even getting first-team reps at QB. I love Minshew and was thrilled to get him, but cmon. No one can get excited about Minshew when comparing him to Richardson, and it's hard to get excited when Pittman and Downs aren't practicing as well. 


You’re stressed…….   Now?    Already?

 

Over what?     So far, there hasn’t been one serious injury reported.    Not one.   What’s happening with the Colts is not unique.   It happens with all 32 teams.   Rookies have been going all out for more than a year straight with little to no time off.   Their bodies are fatigued.   Having a soft tissue injury is normal.   


Players will soon get 45 days off +/-.   It’s badly need by all.   Give it some time.   The vast majority of players should be good to go by Aug 1.   
 

And don’t be stressed over AR.   Not now, at least.   Minshew should be way ahead of him right now.   No one should be surprised at anything negative with him right now.   This is expected.   
 

Better days ahead.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you’ve been saying it for 10 years you missed it being replaced in 2018 yet the injuries still happen.  
 

here is a link to the thread about it:

 

also the Colts have had injury problems both at home and away or on grass.  I don’t know what’s causing it.  Probably a combination of factors like training staff, the fact football is a violent game, the type of players the Colts like, and even just old fashioned bad luck.  
 

if it were just one simple thing to change the Colts would do it.  They would be dumb not too.

 

They changed it at LOS but not at W56th street practice facility or Westfield where they hold TC. There was an article about it last fall. The top 4 most injured teams include the colts and they all have the oldest and hardest turf packages at both their stadiums and other training facilities

Link to comment
Share on other sites

High schools do compression tests on their artificial turf fields every year, I’m sure professional teams do that and more. Walking on an artificial turf field has more give than a grass field and it’s a lot worse when temps are freezing! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

They changed it at LOS but not at W56th street practice facility or Westfield where they hold TC. There was an article about it last fall. The top 4 most injured teams include the colts and they all have the oldest and hardest turf packages at both their stadiums and other training facilities

Westfield was discussed last year and when they are outside it’s on grass.  They are only inside when it rains.  Also, the bulk of the Colts injuries happen in game.  So it doesn’t look like the surface at West 56th (which has been confirmed to be the same as LOS) or at Grant Park are that big of a deal.  
 

Like I said this isn’t a replace one thing and fix all the injuries issue.  It’s a combination of things.  Is the field surface one of them?  Sure, just like it is for any team that plays on turf on top of a concrete slab.  However, since no stadium with a dome or a retractable roof has drainage and the Colts don’t have the space around LOS like Arizona does to be able to have a retractable grass field there isn’t much the Colts can do about it.  There are also the fact the Colts tend to be a speed team that likes smaller players which results in more injuries, there is the Colts training staff, the fact football is just a violent game, and old fashioned bad luck.  
 

If you think if Irsay felt replacing the Colts playing surface would significantly reduce injuries alone he wouldn’t replace it then you don’t know Jim Irsay.  
 

Also you initially said you’ve been yelling to replace the turf for 10 years. Well they did five years ago.  The injuries didn’t go down.  So that means the turf alone isn’t causing all the injuries. Trust me I am sure the Colts wish it was something that simple and they could just replace the turf and the injures would go away.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


You’re stressed…….   Now?    Already?

 

Over what?     So far, there hasn’t been one serious injury reported.    Not one.   What’s happening with the Colts is not unique.   It happens with all 32 teams.   Rookies have been going all out for more than a year straight with little to no time off.   Their bodies are fatigued.   Having a soft tissue injury is normal.   


Players will soon get 45 days off +/-.   It’s badly need by all.   Give it some time.   The vast majority of players should be good to go by Aug 1.   
 

And don’t be stressed over AR.   Not now, at least.   Minshew should be way ahead of him right now.   No one should be surprised at anything negative with him right now.   This is expected.   
 

Better days ahead.  

As you say, it's a little early to be worried about injuries right now.  I'll start getting pi$$y when I see guys missing preseason games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

As you say, it's a little early to be worried about injuries right now.  I'll start getting pi$$y when I see guys missing preseason games.

Yeah, I'm not worried.  In a way there is a positive part of it.  Backup players get more first string snaps.  

My hopes are pretty low for this season so stress won't be around for me.   I'm expecting 6-8 wins.  More if Minshews plays all season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2023 at 4:34 PM, CR91 said:

Injuries in May is like the salad bar at a steak house. No one cares

Exactly, as long as we are healthy going into opening day then that is all that matters. 

 

By the way, that is one of the best and funniest posts I have seen all year in here, I have to give it a Homer laugh Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2023 at 3:29 PM, NewColtsFan said:


You’re stressed…….   Now?    Already?

 

Over what?     So far, there hasn’t been one serious injury reported.    Not one.   What’s happening with the Colts is not unique.   It happens with all 32 teams.   Rookies have been going all out for more than a year straight with little to no time off.   Their bodies are fatigued.   Having a soft tissue injury is normal.   


Players will soon get 45 days off +/-.   It’s badly need by all.   Give it some time.   The vast majority of players should be good to go by Aug 1.   
 

And don’t be stressed over AR.   Not now, at least.   Minshew should be way ahead of him right now.   No one should be surprised at anything negative with him right now.   This is expected.   
 

Better days ahead.  

Mark it down, several will be hurt by August 3rd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • you’re correct, and I honestly don’t know why that’s the case lol.   i even remember the chiefs game and was thinking to myself how he may be our guy at FS.  He even had 4 picks in ‘22.   im definitely not going to go back and watch any film on him so I’ll write it off as me having blue colored shades on due to a 7th round rookie having some bright moments lol
    • FWIW:   The consensus around here is that Thomas had a nice rookie year for a 7th round pick out of the Ivy League.   But then he suffered through a very disappointing second season.      But for that crowd, here is a head scratcher from PFF.   Thomas’s grades are almost identical.  His second season might even be fractionally higher.  
    • I’m sorry, I agree with @Hoose on this one.  FS is a glaring weak spot for us right now.  Thomas regressed a lot last year.  Cross, he’s ok but I’m not sure if he’s the answer and I too would feel a lot better with Simmons back there.   I really don’t understand how our corners catch flak on here and the FSs get away clean lol.  Brents would grade out either ok or good when he played and Jones was getting recognition asking rookie corner.  Thomas was bad and cross would look solid and then would show us he’s not ready to be that safety blanket.  I will say, I do have some faith cross can be.  But Thomas, idk.  He was good first year, horrible last year.  
    • YOU are probably wrong regarding all of this.
    • Thomas was one of the few bright spots in 2022. I’m not sure why he regressed so much last year in both coverage and tackling.    Cross played good last year.  I’m not so sure he’s a FS though.  I always thought of him as more of a SS.  Having two safeties that can play both free and strong will help them disguise coverages though. Cross “Mossing” Pickens last year was impressive.  They traded up for him so they may feel now is the time for him or it never will be as a Colt.     I would feel better with Simmons or Diggs though.  I would also prefer a vet corner that pushes Baker off the 53. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...