Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton left off list?

w87r

Haven't seen anything on the site in regards to this. Curious of the thoughts regarding the situation?

Irsay is catching major flack about this, as he should be, in my opinion.

I just find it curious, there has to be some behind the scene beef.

I know personally, I get tired of seeing Peyton always repping Denver and rarely Indianapolis.

Now it just seems that there is something else going on to cause that. If not, I'm sure there is more now.

I personally have Elway as my 2nd rated QB(Manning #1) of all time, so I can't even be mad at him being listed there. 

I just really feel like this was a little out of pocket by Irsay, and really unnecessary. 

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

My only thought was Jim didn’t want to seem biased, but this caused more harm than good. 

My thoughts exactly.

It's like your parents telling you, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."

Kinda falls in that category a little.

Just unnecessary imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

No idea if the omission was intentional or not. Either way IMO it's unfortunate. 

Definitely was intentional.

Follow up tweet after getting backlash from Colts fans.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

No idea if the omission was intentional or not. Either way IMO it's unfortunate. 

Him claiming it was unintentional would be about the same as Mark Jackson saying he accidentally left Jokic off top 5 MVP ballot. nonsense.

• Thanks 1

Just now, w87r said:

finitely was intentional.

Follow up tweet after getting backlash from Colts fans.

I didn't know there was a follow up. I guess... if it's his opinion, cool... he's got the right to it and to defend it, which he's done. Not sure anything positive is coming from that when he's the owner of the team Peyton dedicated most of his career to...

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

I didn't know there was a follow up. I guess... if it's his opinion, cool... he's got the right to it and to defend it, which he's done. Not sure anything positive is coming from that when he's the owner of the team Peyton dedicated most of his career to...

That's exactly it. His opinion is fine, but yeah nothing positive can come from it and feel Peyton has to be livid at the public assessment.

Just wasn't needed.

Like I said in the OP, Peyton always repping the Broncos and not the Colts bothers me. Seems as if it bothers Jim as well, but this isn't the way to express his displeasure with Peyton, just going to make it worse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

My thoughts exactly.

It's like your parents telling you, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."

Kinda falls in that category a little.

Just unnecessary imo.

So what.....Jim's opinion doesn't match yours.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So what.....Jim's opinion doesn't match yours.

It's not about my opinion, it's about the perception that is being portrayed and for what?

Go check the feedback he received from Colts nation in response to that tweet. 

Caused an unnecessary divide for no reason. Other than to send a message to Peyton about his displeasure with not being more involved with Colts activities instead of always about Broncos. Only reason I can see as to why he felt the need to publicly throw shade at the best player the franchise ever had.

Wouldn't expect you to have a good take on the subject or any subject Colts related. No matter how long I'm away, somethings never change.

So keep doing you.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not putting Peyton on the list and putting a guy who was his biggest rival and another who told the Colts to go pound sand is a gaff on Irsay’s part and not a good look but it will also be forgotten by most in a few weeks.

Yeah like I said above, I have Elway at #2, but the fact he wouldn't even come play here is a major gaff, and a lack of good judgement, to in essence publicly shame the guy the world recognizes when thinking about the Colts.

I know Peyton won't be forgetting about this in a couple weeks. He will never forget it, and will likely cause him to be even less involved with the franchise than he already is.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Haven't seen anything on the site in regards to this. Curious of the thoughts regarding the situation?

Irsay is catching major flack about this, as he should be, in my opinion.

I just find it curious, there has to be some behind the scene beef.

I know personally, I get tired of seeing Peyton always repping Denver and rarely Indianapolis.

Now it just seems that there is something else going on to cause that. If not, I'm sure there is more now.

I personally have Elway as my 2nd rated QB(Manning #1) of all time, so I can't even be mad at him being listed there. 

I just really feel like this was a little out of pocket by Irsay, and really unnecessary. 

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Elway lmao...

Sorry Mr Irsay, I love you man but Peyton is better than Elway. Everyone knew I would chime in on this, this is my specialty.

QB are so important that I have 3 in my top 5:

1. Tom Brady is here, look I hated him as a Colts fan but he accomplished more than anyone and he was a great leader playing in this ERA.

2. Lawrence Taylor - easily the greatest pass rusher of all-time and he was the leader on 2 SB winning teams with the Giants. He could control a game defensively. 

3. Joe Montana - 4-0 in SB's, 0 INT's in SB play, Mr Clutch to me.

4. Jim Brown - Greatest RB/FB ever, set the tone for all other runners.

5. Peyton Manning is here Mr Irsay. 5 League MVP's, 2 SB wins as a starter, and he carried our franchise for 12 years from 1999 (the year he became great) to 2010 his last great year here). Without him we wouldn't have a team here in Indy today IMO. Also without him, the Colts would not have near the following or fanbase they do even today. Peyton was a 1 man wrecking crew! The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah like I said above, I have Elway at #2, but the fact he wouldn't even come play here is a major gaff, and a lack of good judgement, to in essence publicly shame the guy the world recognizes when thinking about the Colts.

I know Peyton won't be forgetting about this in a couple weeks. He will never forget it, and will likely cause him to be even less involved with the franchise than he already is.

As far as QB's go, I have Elway in my top 5, he was awesome but I have Brady, Montana, Peyton, and Unitas rated higher. - That is my Mt Rushmore. 

• Like 1

He probably made the list so he could omit Peyton lol..  ....and if the list is after Jim Brown passed its to honor him. 

Imo, the biggest error is having a known chronic cheater on the list AND not having the greatest QB ever on it, Johnny Unitas! .....who by the way put the Colts & NFL on the map.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Barry Sanders

Jerry Rice

Reggie White

Ray Lewis

Peyton Manning

Solid list. Can't argue with any of those guys. Not going to put a list together, but 4 of them would be in there for sure. Lewis can definitely be argued to make the top 5, no doubt. Just so hard to rank across different positions.

Irsay's list isn't even that bad, it's just the optics of WHO is saying WHAT and WHY?

Unnecessary shot, IMO.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sorry Mr Irsay, I love you man but Peyton is better than Elway. Everyone knew I would chime in on this, this my specialty.

QB are so important that I have 3 in my top 5:

1. Tom Brady is here, look I hated him as a Colts fan but he accomplished more than anyone and he was a great leader playing in this ERA.

2. Lawrence Taylor - easily the greatest pass rusher of all-time and he was the leader on 2 SB winning teams with the Giants. He could control a game defensively. 

3. Joe Montana - 4-0 in SB's, 0 INT's in SB play, Mr Clutch to me.

4. Jim Brown - Greatest RB/FB ever, set the tone for all other runners.

5. Peyton Manning is here Mr Irsay. 5 League MVP's, 2 SB wins as a starter, and he carried our franchise for 12 years from 1999 (the year he became great) to 2010 his last great year here). Without him we wouldn't have a team here in Indy today IMO. Also without him, the Colts would not have near the following or fanbase they do even today. Peyton was a 1 man wrecking crew! The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Not going to argue semantics, but Brady and Montana come in at 3-4 on my QB rankings. Strictly for system reasons, Montana left, Young came in and won SB. Brady gets hurt, Matt Cassel comes in and wins 10 games. Not to mention both played for some of the most complete teams ever assembled and accompanied by the best coach of all time, and one of the deepest coaching trees from 49ers.

Peyton and Elway were the systems.

Anyway, moot point, like I've said a couple times here, it's not even about the opinion, it's the optics of said statement and why there was a feeling to do such. 

• Like 3

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As far as QB's go, I have Elway in my top 5, he was awesome but I have Brady, Montana, Peyton, and Unitas rated higher. - That is my Mt Rushmore. 

I may catch flack for this but on one of my lists I had Elway 6th, I had Mahomes 5th. Between he and Elway I go back and forth. Mahomes doesn't have the longevity but in a 5 season period hardly nobody has been better than he has with 2 SB wins, 2 League MVP's, and his stats are unreal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Solid list. Can't argue with any of those guys. Not going to put a list together, but 4 of them would be in there for sure. Lewis can definitely be argued to make the top 5, no doubt. Just so hard to rank across different positions.

Irsay's list isn't even that bad, it's just the optics of WHO is saying WHAT and WHY?

Unnecessary shot, IMO.

Not going to argue semantics, but Brady and Montana come in at 3-4 on my QB rankings. Strictly for system reasons, Montana left, Young came in and won SB. Brady gets hurt, Matt Cassel comes in and wins 10 games. Not to mention both played for some of the most complete teams ever assembled and accompanied by the best coach of all time, and one of the deepest coaching trees from 49ers.

Peyton and Elway were the systems.

Anyway, moot point, like I've said a couple times here, it's not even about the opinion, it's the optics of said statement and why there was a feeling to do such. 

Fair enough but I know we both agree that Peyton is top 5 of all-time regarding players :thmup:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I may catch flack for this but on one of my lists I had Elway 6th, I had Mahomes 5th. Between he and Elway I go back and forth. Mahomes doesn't have the longevity but in a 5 season period hardly nobody has been better than he has with 2 SB wins, 2 League MVP's, and his stats are unreal.

Mahomes is definitely well on his way.

• Like 1

My List and as usual subject to change:

1. Unitas

2. Bert Jones(you knew I would have him on lol)

Its a lot harder making a All Time list rather than a All time position list

3. Jim Brown

4. Lawrence Taylor

5. Randy Moss

I wanted to include multiple positions. 

Imo, Unitas & Jones were the most talented QBs and were a Big Contrast to each other and both great and their teams had so much more energy when they were in. 

If Jones played for a top organization like the Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys, Dolphins etc... they would have renamed the Lombardi trophy after him. 

So many great RB's but went with only 1, so many others like Dickerson, Sayers, OJ, etc...

I wanted a defensive player and one who had major impact so I went with LT's dominant pass rush.

So, so many great players that could have been put in #5, especially so many other WR's. I went with Moss because he was as great and a game changer as anyone without ever playing with great QB, HC, or teams for the most part.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He probably made the list so he could omit Peyton lol..  ....and if the list is after Jim Brown passed its to honor him. 

Imo, the biggest error is having a known chronic cheater on the list AND not having the greatest QB ever on it, Johnny Unitas! .....who by the way put the Colts & NFL on the map.

I definitely feel like it was intentional. Like I said, I even get frustrated with how little Peyton is visible for our organization, just seems to be something bigger going on there.

It was the day after Jim Brown died, to your honor him take. This wasn't the way to do it.

All the talk about that post is about no Manning, nothing about Brown being honored.

36 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Jim really had no reason to do this.   I don't understand the motivation.   He had to know colts fans wouldn't be happy.   I doubt peyton cares,  but dude

I actually think Peyton will not be very happy about this, and will make it less likely for him to be involved more with the organization moving forward. Probably wouldn't of anyway, with his actions the last few years, but this can't help.

Good post jvan.

• Like 1

I would put Peyton Manning on the list over John Elway. It seems, though, that Manning doesn't have much use for Indy despite all the years he was QB here. He probably likes the city of Denver, but I don't understand his preferences to the Broncos over the Colts.  That's how I see things, anyway. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Why do people act like having Peyton in the top 10 all time is some sort of insult?

Everyone is so overly dramatic about these things. Peyton wouldnt put himself in the top 5 all time either, so I doubt he is offended by this at all. 

Great post. This is nothing to lose sleep over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, w87r said:

That's exactly it. His opinion is fine, but yeah nothing positive can come from it and feel Peyton has to be livid at the public assessment.

Just wasn't needed.

Like I said in the OP, Peyton always repping the Broncos and not the Colts bothers me. Seems as if it bothers Jim as well, but this isn't the way to express his displeasure with Peyton, just going to make it worse.

Jim and Peyton seem to be in amicable relationship, and they both don't bother if fans feel livid about Jim leaving Peyton off his top 5 list. 

I think, the context is, after Jim Brown's death, most on the NFL social media circles started sharing their top 5 all time NFL players. 

And Irsay did his list. 

That's all. There are other million top 5 lists like that, and Jim likes his social media endeavors.

Maybe, he could join this Colts forum as rookie, introduce himself to us and try to move up the ranks here?  :funny:

28 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Jim and Peyton seem to be in amicable relationship, and they both don't bother if fans feel livid about Jim leaving Peyton off this list. 

I don't know.

First off I think amicable isn't sufficient for how their relationship should be. That's neither here nor there though. I think Irsay has infinite love for Peyton, I feel the resistance is coming from Manning's side.? 

Agree, neither care what the fans think about it, but I would love to hear Peyton's honest take on it. Won't ever happen, but can't imagine he is happy about it.

On a separate note,

I think it seems to be the opposite.

1. Manning's bias to Denver over Indy.

* Will note that Denver clearly a better overall location, but his lack of presence here just screams, some other issues on going.

2. If Irsay has this, we will go with amicable, relationship. Why does he need Saturday here because of his "proximity to Peyton". Wouldn't his relationship be enough. Those were Irsay's words.

3. Again, I don't really care who is on his top 5, bottom line is it was unsolicited and it just feels like a shot at Manning. Unnecessary one at that.

Even agreed with a Dan Dakich post today about the situation, and that never happens.

Something just seems off with the whole thing to me.

• Like 2