Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jared Gaither - Scratch Him Off List

rockywoj

As reported on NFL.com ... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82161266/article/chiefs-add-depth-at-oline-with-addition-of-veteran-gaither

Well, scratch Jared Gaither off the list of potentially valuable FA O-Linemen that might still be added to further shore up the Colts OL, as he has reportedly signed with the Chiefs.

I like most of what the Colts have done this offseason, but the one area they did not address that I had identified as being a priority was acquiring a KEY OL Free Agent. I had figured such a move, in addition to the potentially very good job they did upgrading the OL in the draft, was key to really, REALLY upgrading their offensive line for this season. I don't know if Gaither will actually pan out, but he was very often mentioned as a high upside guy that should be attainable.

I sure hope that the Colts' own on the OL can step up and bring about the needed improvement. Manning needs more time to allow deep pass routes to develop and the run blocking MUST improve. I'm thinking this remains the biggest question mark on the team, as I VERY much like what they have done at DT and I am hopeful that the secondary will be okay. The new kick-off rule has taken care of much of the issue surrounding special teams.

As reported on NFL.com ... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82161266/article/chiefs-add-depth-at-oline-with-addition-of-veteran-gaither

Well, scratch Jared Gaither off the list of potentially valuable FA O-Linemen that might still be added to further shore up the Colts OL, as he has reportedly signed with the Chiefs.

I like most of what the Colts have done this offseason, but the one area they did not address that I had identified as being a priority was acquiring a KEY OL Free Agent. I had figured such a move, in addition to the potentially very good job they did upgrading the OL in the draft, was key to really, REALLY upgrading their offensive line for this season. I don't know if Gaither will actually pan out, but he was very often mentioned as a high upside guy that should be attainable.

I sure hope that the Colts' own on the OL can step up and bring about the needed improvement. Manning needs more time to allow deep pass routes to develop and the run blocking MUST improve. I'm thinking this remains the biggest question mark on the team, as I VERY much like what they have done at DT and I am hopeful that the secondary will be okay. The new kick-off rule has taken care of much of the issue surrounding special teams.

The offensive line is my biggest worry.

We do not know what we are going to get from McClendon or Linkenbach. Saturday, Pollak and Diem were part of the offensive line last year that could not open up a hole for the running game to save their lives and allowed Manning to get hit the most since early in his career.

Nothing about that group is reassuring for this year. I know it is early and I am not going to get to down now since we have not even played a preseason game, but I sure am not going to be jumping for joy and saying we have nothing to worry about.

If McClendon and Linkenbach can step up and perform at a higher level and with Costanza and Ijalana looming we could have something there next year.

In this recent week Ive heard stuff that allowed me to think the oline is gonna end like this

LT: Castonzo

LG:McClendon or Pollak

C: Saturday

RG:Diem

RT:Ijalana

McClendon will prob get the start, unless he F's up in pass protection

Seems that G will still be a

Doesn't Gaither have some pretty serious injury concerns? I think he missed all of last year with a weird back injury. I had him on my wish list from before last year's draft, but crossed him off after I found out about that. I haven't seen anything about the length or value of the contract, but I figure he came cheap. I wouldn't have minded him, and if he's healthy, he'd probably be our best lineman automatically.

all them free agents o lineman other than saturday are better than our lineman we suck bottom line....peyton has not throw a deep bal in years just 5 yards routes thats all he has time for....its time for the colts to start signing free agents....at all positions like yes lets trade for a strong dt lee evans from the bills and and any vet o lineman

this is what i hate about the colts front office yes the o line might work out eventually but its about right now peyton is 35 whats is wrong with them sign og brain waters for god sake sheesh i would of went o line before d line

Feel free to mix in a period or a comma or something resembling basic grammar.

And learning a little more about the game or the Colts would also be nice.

I KNOW THIS MUCH THE COLTS GOT 1 SUPER BOWL RING WITH PEYTON MANNING....AND ITS BECAUSE WE REALLY HAVE BUMS ON OFFENCE EXCEPT FRO WAYNE AND CLARK BUT PEYTON MAKES EVERYONE BETTER INCLUDING THE O LINE....AND SINCE U KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT THE GAME JSKINNZ OUR O LINE GAVE UP THE LEAST AMOUNT OF SACKS LAST YEAR WHAT DO WE NEED O LINEMAN FOR WE ARE THE BEST RIGHT

this is what i hate about the colts front office yes the o line might work out eventually but its about right now peyton is 35 whats is wrong with them sign og brain waters for god sake sheesh i would of went o line before d line

I wouldn't have wanted an o-line before the d-line. Our d-line has always been an issue, whereas Peyton Manning can still put up 4000+ and 30+ with a terrible line. We acquired two new guys via the draft, but because of the stupid lockout (not our front office), they didn't get to come up to speed as soon as we would have liked. The front office knows what they are doing; you, on the other hand, do not.

Also, periods, commas, etc., they are your friend.

agreed, i said this a couple weeks ago. waters needs to be signed asap. and imo saturday was one of the main reasons all those plays against the jets got blown up in the backfield...4 FAILED 3RD AND 1'S!!! 4 OF EM.

peytons 35 ....get him veteran guards and veteran corners = superbowl.

THE FRONT OFFICE KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING HUH....J HUGES A BUST DONALD BROWN A BUST TONY UGO A BUST....HORRIBLE DRAFTS LATELY FILI MOALA A BUST WASTE OF 1ST 2 ND AND THIRD ROUND PICKS ON THESE BUMS I WOULD OF MUCH RATHER HAVE SIGNED A FREE AGENT THEN BUILD UP THESE BUMS THEY DONT HAVE IT IN THEM CUT EM

I KNOW THIS MUCH THE COLTS GOT 1 SUPER BOWL RING WITH PEYTON MANNING....AND ITS BECAUSE WE REALLY HAVE BUMS ON OFFENCE EXCEPT FRO WAYNE AND CLARK BUT PEYTON MAKES EVERYONE BETTER INCLUDING THE O LINE....AND SINCE U KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT THE GAME JSKINNZ OUR O LINE GAVE UP THE LEAST AMOUNT OF SACKS LAST YEAR WHAT DO WE NEED O LINEMAN FOR WE ARE THE BEST RIGHT

Unfortunately, we gave up the least sacks because Manning had to rush the release of the ball due to the pocket collapsing. This caused our Offense to have to adjust, and be less potent than they could have been.

THE FRONT OFFICE KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING HUH....J HUGES A BUST DONALD BROWN A BUST TONY UGO A BUST....HORRIBLE DRAFTS LATELY FILI MOALA A BUST WASTE OF 1ST 2 ND AND THIRD ROUND PICKS ON THESE BUMS I WOULD OF MUCH RATHER HAVE SIGNED A FREE AGENT THEN BUILD UP THESE BUMS THEY DONT HAVE IT IN THEM CUT EM

And back to our O-line. I would say if you put Brown or Addai, or even Hart on a team with even a decent line, you'd see a lot more production from them. Put CJ2K, or MJD or AP on last years Colts team, and you would see comparable production from them to Addai or Brown. Yet another reason to fix our O-line.

The D line is a bit different story. You will rarely ever see a D lineman step in and make a difference year one. I hope Nevis is one of the rarities, but D lineman can really take up to 3 years to fully develop. Hughes looks like a different player in camp, so maybe he'll prove himself this year. Moala was plugged into NT, an unnatural position for him, and still did well for a first year D-lineman.

Ugoh... I'm not going to argue, but the Colts aren't the only one drafting busts.

LOUD NOISES!!!! :shout:

Seriously, enough with the caps lock. You might be doing it for emphasis, but the likely result is that people won't read what you post. I didn't even read this post I'm responding to.