Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts pecking order in the AFC

bluephantom87

Quite honestly... I don't think at this moment the place the Colts hold in the pecking order is very important. We are not good enough to contend right now, so we should be prioritizing the development of our young guys and making sure THE guy who's supposed to be our franchise QB is getting better and closer to the goal of being that franchise QB for us.

To answer the question... IMO we are in the bottom half of the AFC... but we might be more competitive than people think. I can see us having a 6-7 win season... maybe even 8-9 with some luck going our way. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You really think this team is garbage.  One more win than last year.  Only one win away from home.  When Peyton joined the Colts the roster was horrible.  This roster is far from horrible.   You and the others can expect mediocrity if you want.  I’m not going too.  The AFC South is not a powerhouse division.  We clearly have a better roster than Houston or Tennessee.  The Jags have a 1st place schedule now.  Let’s see how that plays out.  All teams have turnover too and many times not for the best.  That said I actually think our roster has improved over last years.  No old quarterbacks with cement in their shoes.  I think our OL will improve over last years.  That shouldn’t be too hard to do.  JT is back and Leonard as well.  New FG kicker and Sanchez returns.  Gus returns with a strong defense.  This team is not garbage.  This team should be a lot better than 5 or 6 wins.   Even with a rookie quarterback.  Not just any rookie quarterback but we have AR5.  The best quarterback in the draft right?

He MAY have the best potential in the draft but he's certainly not currently the best QB of the bunch. AR5 finished 10th in the SEC in QB rating last season as his team went 6-7. He rushed for 654 yards, second among SEC QBs, but didn't dominate games on the ground. I don't know how you expect him to immediately lift an NFL team.

• Like 1

Personally - I think we will improve within the division.

I think it "might" be possible that we go to the playoffs this year - DEPENDING on who starts at QB.

I think we "might" be to the point of Super Bowl quality by end of year 3 of Shane Steichen.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

Personally - I think we will improve within the division.

I think it "might" be possible that we go to the playoffs this year - DEPENDING on who starts at QB.

I think we "might" be to the point of Super Bowl quality by end of year 3 of Shane Steichen.

That's an interesting question... Who do you think gives us a chance to get to the playoffs this year if he starts at QB? I actually think the only chance at playoffs we have is if Richardson starts and is more ready than people assume. I don't think this team is good enough to be a playoff team with Minshew starting. 

I don't know the Colts D kept us in games even with that putrid offense. Getting Shaq and JT back healthy, hearing good reviews about Sporano from Nelson. Woods is a monster just waiting to happen. Playing a weak schedule strength. If AR's "floor" is higher than most QB's ceiling like Morocco Brown stated..anything might happen

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

I don't know the Colts D kept us in games even with that putrid offense. Getting Shaq and JT back healthy, hearing good reviews about Sporano from Nelson. Woods is a monster just waiting to happen. Playing a weak schedule strength. If AR's "floor" is higher than most QB's ceiling like Morocco Brown stated..anything might happen

I agree. Plus we have a better kicker as well. Even if we had average offense we should win more than last year

• Like 2

On 5/7/2023 at 8:45 PM, NewColtsFan said:

No one will be “happy” with 6 wins.   They’ll be happy if it looks like the team has shown improvement over the 18 week schedule.   They’ll be happy if it looks like AR is beginning to figure things out.   They’ll be happy if it looks like the team is going to be much better in 24.   

I concur.... Lay the foundation to build a contender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stitches said:

That's an interesting question... Who do you think gives us a chance to get to the playoffs this year if he starts at QB? I actually think the only chance at playoffs we have is if Richardson starts and is more ready than people assume. I don't think this team is good enough to be a playoff team with Minshew starting. 

I think we can win with either qb as long as the offense isnt putrid like last year.

I basically say this year as NewColtsFan has said is a "red shirt" year. but if you really want to step back from your fandom and be objective you would say: QB question mark on performance but potential (basically every year since Luck left) check RB good. O-line last year horrible, signed two late round project types to fix it......WR group can't get separation.........signed a short crosser to fix it......TE, lots of potential little production, added a mid-late pick to fix it....D-line good but thin, now good and deep....LB shaq-back question last year same this year.....DB's sound but not spectacular, traded or let them all walk drafted rookies to replace them.....safeties were ok last year, nothing much done to change that.....So lots of potential at many positions group.....they can do it level yet to be seen/determined........Lots of youth, lots of potential the O line is in a prove it year to me...if all those millions cant bring up the play of those around them or at least overcome their short comings I gotta say why we paying em......no excuse you a 20 mil center or guard you gotta do waaaaaaay better in my book.  5 or 6 wins is where my bar is set...

• Like 1

There's more ques than answers at this point. 

Rookie CB (at least on one side - Rodgers on other) 

Will K Moore finally play well in Gus' Defense? 

Will Leonard even play? 

Will the O-line finally "gel" with Sparano leading the way? 

Rookie QB who has accuracy issues 

New HC, OC, ST coaches 

Will they finally have an actual pass rush? 

A LOT of stars would have to align for this team to make noise this year.

I believe we will see flashes, but the growing pains number will be higher than the win column. 

• Like 1

Indianapolis upgraded their Head coach, Offensive coaching staff, and Quarterback, and added much-needed talent on both sides of the ball. The signing of Matt Gay and the return of Rigoberto Sanchez will give the Colts one of the best kicker/punter combos in the entire league. You start AR5 week 1 and roll with him until your season is officially over. Perhaps the entire team but more importantly the defense is able to get Shaq Leonard back to his Pro Bowl-level form. Let the young guys come in and play as much as possible and allow the team to build chemistry while gaining as much playing experience as you can in 2023. I'm not worried about the team not making the playoffs in 2023. I just want to see progress and growth throughout the season because 2024 is when the fun begins.

• Like 2

So many with such low expectations.  Going from 4 wins to 5 or 6 wins is just fine with many.  A little improvement is a big win.  The good news is you will all be happy.  Setting low bars is a sure way to avoid disappointment.  So no one will be disappointed here.  I prefer to set my expectations a little higher.  Especially when you look at our schedule and division and our roster.  If we fall short so be it.  But it would be a shame because this roster is capable of making the playoffs.  They should make the playoffs this year with the following season being the run at the prize.  Hopefully the team sets its goals higher than being mediocre.   I bet they do. Then we can all be happy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So many with such low expectations.  Going from 4 wins to 5 or 6 wins is just fine with many.  A little improvement is a big win.  The good news is you will all be happy.  Setting low bars is a sure way to avoid disappointment.  So no one will be disappointed here.  I prefer to set my expectations a little higher.  Especially when you look at our schedule and division and our roster.  If we fall short so be it.  But it would be a shame because this roster is capable of making the playoffs.  They should make the playoffs this year with the following season being the run at the prize.  Hopefully the team sets its goals higher than being mediocre.   I bet they do. Then we can all be happy.

To your point, than many in here should not be upset, call AR a bust, bash the team, and say fire Shane if we only win 5 games (if someone predicts 5 wins than why complain if we do so) - yeah, I will believe it when I see it chuckling homer simpson GIF

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I believe we're in for a few years (2-3) of unsteady play while our guys master Steichen's scheme and AR improves. He's had 13 games of college experience. Expecting him to waltz into the NFL and start winning from day one is ludicrous to me. 

I've said multiple times that I hoped we drafted a QB this offseason and that I would expect the process that followed to take time. I still believe that and I'm 100% on board with with it.

I don't believe there will be complaining from people with that mindset. I think it's much more likely we will see it from people who expect us to go to the playoffs this year and make a run from the Super Bowl next year. "We should've traded up to 1 for BY or CJ", "We should've traded for Fields", "We should've traded for Lamar"... I expect A LOT of this...

• Like 2

What should temper expectations of win/loss improvement due to the draft is the majority of teams coming out of the draft feel the same way: issues address, talent added, etc. The Colts aren't acting in a vacuum. 

While I think that the team did an excellent job in addressing needs in the draft, Solid84's concerns over the limited playing time Richardson had at the collegiate level is valid. I expect to see a lot of Minshew early on and there's a reason he was available for a 1 year, 3.5M contract. The quality of the level of play from the qb position at this point for the Colts is the biggest question mark on the team and realistically lead to a sub .500 record again. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 10:06 AM, bluephantom87 said:

The AFC landscape was already loaded with franchise type quarterbacks and SB threat teams but now it has been elevated even more with some new offseason additions as teams jockey for hierarchy. Rodgers to the Jets, Jimmy G to the Raiders, Sean Payton now paired with Wilson, Herbert getting an oc in K Moore, Lamar finally getting some receivers while being paired with a new more diverse type oc and that's not even including the new haul of rookie franchise qbs within the division to challenge T Lawrence who by the way now added C Ridley as wr1. 

So... where do you believe the Colts now sit in the vaunted AFC as well as within our own division? Do you believe this team is good enough with everyone being healthy and the defense playing solid with Minshew at qb (until AR is ready) to be competitive enough to challenge for the division? Or do you believe we take lumps this year as AR grows with game reps as starter because of his limited experience? Peyton (went 3-13) as day 1 starter but also set the record for interceptions in a season by a rookie. Luck came in balling (went 11-5) as a rookie while breaking the record for most passing yards in a season while also leading the team to the playoffs BUT the division was weak and the AFC as a whole was much more watered down. Your thoughts?

The Colts can be on the low end of the AFC Totem Pole and still contend/win the their Division. The AFC South is usually a division that keeps giving.

Most people are thinking the Jags are a ascending team along with Lawrence going into his third season. Bit the Jags won last years division mostly by default. The Colts and Titans imploded in the second half of the season and won, I think, only a game or two if that, in second half of season......somebody had to win the division. 

And though they did improve, they still barely beat the titans and needed help from the refs to beat a Titan Team with a third string QB they got off the streets. They got by the chargers too with help from the refs.....ask Joey Bosa about that game. haha 

Lawrence's play was neither stellar or solid down the stretch.... Since they are the jags, their '23 season may be their pinnacle season for awhile, like it was when they reached the AFCCG and were a patsy to the Patriots. Like I said they may just go back to being the Jags?

I'm picking the Colts & Texans to finish 1-2 in the South in '24. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2023 at 10:43 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think Irsay was giving the fan base a very telling comment when he said he’s not expecting a winning season, but that he wants the franchise “heading in the right direction.”   Then he added, people know what that looks like.

That came from the top.   I hope we will all get more of that from Ballard and Steichen.   CB said one of his biggest mistakes last year was failing to manage expectations.  (Ya think?!?). Everyone expected an AFC South title.    Don’t think anyone will make that mistake this year. 

But young players have to improve over  the course of the season.   Units and position groups have to get better.  The team has to be competitive in games they’re losing, especially as the season goes on.   

The Colts have to look like a team that the fans will be excited to see in 24, and that opponents won’t want to play. 

This season for me has nothing to do with wins and losses. It is all about the qb and last years draft and this years making some noise and giving us promise for the future. They could win 5 games and I could come away feeling pretty good and it really depends on how they lose those games. I know as soon as i saw the rookie qb  for the Titans hit the field last year, I knew he was a disaster and had no business being in the NFL and this has been proved by them drafting Levis. I  know Richardson is going to have some struggles. I just hope there is not that moment and/or moments where I go "oh my, I think we got the wrong guy"!! I have said I am totally onboard with drafting Ballard and you wont hear me once criticize the pick. Swing for the fences and get a dragon slayer because you have a lot of dragons in the AFC that need to be slayed lol!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crunked said:

I basically say this year as NewColtsFan has said is a "red shirt" year. but if you really want to step back from your fandom and be objective you would say: QB question mark on performance but potential (basically every year since Luck left) check RB good. O-line last year horrible, signed two late round project types to fix it......WR group can't get separation.........signed a short crosser to fix it......TE, lots of potential little production, added a mid-late pick to fix it....D-line good but thin, now good and deep....LB shaq-back question last year same this year.....DB's sound but not spectacular, traded or let them all walk drafted rookies to replace them.....safeties were ok last year, nothing much done to change that.....So lots of potential at many positions group.....they can do it level yet to be seen/determined........Lots of youth, lots of potential the O line is in a prove it year to me...if all those millions cant bring up the play of those around them or at least overcome their short comings I gotta say why we paying em......no excuse you a 20 mil center or guard you gotta do waaaaaaay better in my book.  5 or 6 wins is where my bar is set...

In the AFC South, a red shirt year can still get you a Division title. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Are you the same guy that said you didn't want a 50 Percent Passer?  And now that we have the 50 percent passer you now are setting the bar high with him leading your team at QB?

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This season for me has nothing to do with wins and losses. It is all about the qb and last years draft and this years making some noise and giving us promise for the future. They could win 5 games and I could come away feeling pretty good and it really depends on how they lose those games. I know as soon as i saw the rookie qb  for the Titans hit the field last year, I knew he was a disaster and had no business being in the NFL and this has been proved by them drafting Levis. I  know Richardson is going to have some struggles. I just hope there is not that moment and/or moments where I go "oh my, I think we got the wrong guy"!! I have said I am totally onboard with drafting Ballard and you wont hear me once criticize the pick. Swing for the fences and get a dragon slayer because you have a lot of dragons in the AFC that need to be slayed lol!!

20 -0 while rebuilding thats the floor lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Are you the same guy that said you didn't want a 50 Percent Passer?  And now that we have the 50 percent passer you now are setting the bar high with him leading your team at QB?

Yep.  Now I am counting on our new great Head Coach to get him to make the layups.  That shouldn't be hard for him to do.      A RAS 10 athlete should be able to get that figured out in short order.  

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The Colts can be on the low end of the AFC Totem Pole and still contend/win the their Division. The AFC South is usually a division that keeps giving.

Most people are thinking the Jags are a ascending team along with Lawrence going into his third season. Bit the Jags won last years division mostly by default. The Colts and Titans imploded in the second half of the season and won, I think, only a game or two if that, in second half of season......somebody had to win the division. 

And though they did improve, they still barely beat the titans and needed help from the refs to beat a Titan Team with a third string QB they got off the streets. They got by the chargers too with help from the refs.....ask Joey Bosa about that game. haha 

Lawrence's play was neither stellar or solid down the stretch.... Since they are the jags, their '23 season may be their pinnacle season for awhile, like it was when they reached the AFCCG and were a patsy to the Patriots. Like I said they may just go back to being the Jags?

I'm picking the Colts & Texans to finish 1-2 in the South in '24. 

Actually, I made a typo. 

I'm picking the colts & Texans to finish 1-2 in the South in '23 not '24.

15 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I think we'll be good enough to surprise a few people, and bad enough to not surprise anybody.

If we are going to have any type of success next year wins wise (which I am not necessarily hoping for honestly, we could use some high picks again in the 24 Draft), out OLINE is going to have to play waaaaayyyyy better than it has the last couple years.

I think that will determine if we will be very competitive at all.  Our secondary is going to take its lumps without Gilmore and our pass rush is still unimpressive despite the massive investment in the DL.  If the OLINE can be at least middling, we will probably be able to hurt people running a little.

But I don't see us getting any more than 6 or 7 wins regardless.  The schedule is pretty weak looking on it's face, but I think we are the worst team in the South now with Houston's upgrades at DE and QB.  If Stroud can play, they will start looking a little better right away. 

• Like 3

On 5/8/2023 at 3:36 PM, BeanDiasucci said:

He MAY have the best potential in the draft but he's certainly not currently the best QB of the bunch. AR5 finished 10th in the SEC in QB rating last season as his team went 6-7. He rushed for 654 yards, second among SEC QBs, but didn't dominate games on the ground. I don't know how you expect him to immediately lift an NFL team.

He doesnt have to immediately lift the team. He just needs reps and to show improvement as the year goes on. I dont care if we go 2-15 as long as the two wins are the patriots and steelers lol

20 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yea he has to look better than willis

20 hours ago, krunk said:

Luck was a 50 percent passer his rookie year and we won 11 games

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stephen said:

There was not any/many good teams in the AFC South through much of Lucks time. Especially early on. It was easy to win the South.  My post was just to jug with Rich bc his stance is ironic being that he had no faith in Richardson during most of the pre draft process. He didn't want him at all. Now we have the guy he didn't want and he's expecting we will win many games. Its ironic!  Me personally I think we will win 7 or 8 bc most rookies struggle. That's more likely to happen than winning 11 games.  If we win more than my prediction I'm fine with that too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

Luck also started for three years.   Had roughly 35 starts.   That’s roughly 3X the number of snaps.   He also had a photographic memory which helped knowing the playbook and with understanding defenses.   

And for the record, it was 54 percent Luck’s rookie year.  

It would be unfair of fans to expect more from Richardson because of what Luck accomplished.   Not a fair comparison. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/9/2023 at 12:44 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

In the AFC South, a red shirt year can still get you a Division title. 

I cant argue with that..... we are in a lousy division right now, don't know whether to be proud of it or embarrassed for it...lol

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Luck also started for three years.   Had roughly 35 starts.   That’s roughly 3X the number of snaps.   He also had a photographic memory which helped knowing the playbook and with understanding defenses.   

Yes, he was by just about all accounts possibly the most polished QB ever to come out of college.

And for the record, it was 54 percent Luck’s rookie year.  

And this was in a downfield no risk it no biscuit passing attack too.

It would be unfair of fans to expect more from Richardson because of what Luck accomplished.   Not a fair comparison. 

I would be flabbergasted if anyone in the Colts' org expects AR to come in and take the league by storm in his rookie season.  I am not saying it's impossible, the dude is a fantastic athlete, but he's not that NFL ready QB type. 

Without great improvement from our OLINE, I think life will be pretty difficult for any QB that takes the ball this season. 

On 5/10/2023 at 10:18 AM, Stephen said:

Luck was a 71.3 percent passer his senior year at Stanford (70.7 his Jr year) and 54.1 percent his rookie year with the Colts. As a rookie, he set records for single season passing yards 4,374 and single game passing yards 433. He was one of the most accomplished and touted college QBs of all time.

Richardson is not similar to Andrew Luck coming out of college. 

• Thanks 1

Home

Houston Texans             W

Jacksonville Jaguars        W

Tennessee Titans             W

Cleveland Browns           W

Pittsburgh Steelers          L

New Orleans Saints         W

Tampa Bay Buccaneers    W

Las Vegas Raiders            W

Los Angeles Rams           L

Away

Atlanta Falcons               W

Baltimore Ravens            L

Carolina Panthers           W

Houston Texans              W

Jacksonville Jaguars        L

Cincinnati Bengals           L

New England Patriots      W

This is my early, EARLY guess. 12-5

There could be another home loss but don't see it yet. There are 5 teams the Colts play that to will be starting a new QB or someone that I'm not worried about.  This new coaching staff already feels different. I expect a quick turn around. 

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Luck was a 71.3 percent passer his senior year at Stanford (70.7 his Jr year) and 54.1 percent his rookie year with the Colts. As a rookie, he set records for single season passing yards 4,374 and single game passing yards 433. He was one of the most accomplished and touted college QBs of all time.

Richardson is not similar to Andrew Luck coming out of college. 

Never said he was,but pointed out luck wasnt nearly as accurate in the nfl as he was in college

43 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Home

Houston Texans             W

Jacksonville Jaguars        W

Cleveland Browns           W

Pittsburgh Steelers          L

New Orleans Saints         W

Tampa Bay Buccaneers    W

Las Vegas Raiders            W

Los Angeles Rams           L

Away

Atlanta Falcons               W

Baltimore Ravens            L

Carolina Panthers           W

Houston Texans              W

Jacksonville Jaguars        L

Cincinnati Bengals           L

New England Patriots      W

This is my early, EARLY guess. 12-5

There could be another home loss but don't see it yet. There are 5 teams the Colts play that to will be starting a new QB or someone that I'm not worried about.  This new coaching staff already feels different. I expect a quick turn around. 

I can see 12-5 but i think we beat one of the ravens or bengals and lose to titans on the road

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

I can see 12-5 but i think we beat one of the ravens or bengals and lose to titans on the road

Do you think Matt Ryan has a shot at league MVP in taking the Colts to a conference title? Oh wait. Sorry. That was this conversation last summer.

14 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Do you think Matt Ryan has a shot at league MVP in taking the Colts to a conference title? Oh wait. Sorry. That was this conversation last summer.

Just based off the schedule we shouldnt lose many games. We havent had a schedule this easy in a while. Peyton would go 15-2 with this schedule. If Richardson can be an average starter his first year no reason we shouldnt win atleast 9 games.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think the key is winning atleast 7 home games and 4 road games. That would put us at 11-6. Saints steelers should be home loses as we have struggled against them recently. Will probably lose against jags, titans, ravens, bengals on the road. The rest of the games should be winable