Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts pecking order in the AFC

bluephantom87

The AFC landscape was already loaded with franchise type quarterbacks and SB threat teams but now it has been elevated even more with some new offseason additions as teams jockey for hierarchy. Rodgers to the Jets, Jimmy G to the Raiders, Sean Payton now paired with Wilson, Herbert getting an oc in K Moore, Lamar finally getting some receivers while being paired with a new more diverse type oc and that's not even including the new haul of rookie franchise qbs within the division to challenge T Lawrence who by the way now added C Ridley as wr1. 

So... where do you believe the Colts now sit in the vaunted AFC as well as within our own division? Do you believe this team is good enough with everyone being healthy and the defense playing solid with Minshew at qb (until AR is ready) to be competitive enough to challenge for the division? Or do you believe we take lumps this year as AR grows with game reps as starter because of his limited experience? Peyton (went 3-13) as day 1 starter but also set the record for interceptions in a season by a rookie. Luck came in balling (went 11-5) as a rookie while breaking the record for most passing yards in a season while also leading the team to the playoffs BUT the division was weak and the AFC as a whole was much more watered down. Your thoughts?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

The AFC landscape was already loaded with franchise type quarterbacks and SB threat teams but now it has been elevated even more with some new offseason additions as teams jockey for hierarchy. Rodgers to the Jets, Jimmy G to the Raiders, Sean Payton now paired with Wilson, Herbert getting an oc in K Moore, Lamar finally getting some receivers while being paired with a new more diverse type oc and that's not even including the new haul of rookie franchise qbs within the division to challenge T Lawrence who by the way now added C Ridley as wr1. 

So... where do you believe the Colts now sit in the vaunted AFC as well as within our own division? Do you believe this team is good enough with everyone being healthy and the defense playing solid with Minshew at qb (until AR is ready) to be competitive enough to challenge for the division? Or do you believe we take lumps this year as AR grows with game reps as starter because of his limited experience? Peyton (went 3-13) as day 1 starter but also set the record for interceptions in a season by a rookie. Luck came in balling (went 11-5) as a rookie while breaking the record for most passing yards in a season while also leading the team to the playoffs BUT the division was weak and the AFC as a whole was much more watered down. Your thoughts?

With minshew starting we will be right at the bottom

I believe we are headed in the right direction. I like the infusion of young talent from this year's draft ESPECIALLY at qb (AR) who is also being paired with an ascending offensive hc that has some fire. I believe that you gain EXPERIENCE by playing not by holding a clipboard unless you're sitting BEHIND a star type qb. The gap between college and pro offenses is not that far off compared to just 10 yrs ago. Pro and college OCs have become interchangeable.

I think AR will turn out to be special and that Minshew is just a bridge gap backup who knows Steichen's offense that can help get everyone else up to speed thus the 1 yr contract. If all else fails due to injury Minshew is serviceable and BETTER than the Matt Ryan or Nick Foles versions from last season.

• Like 1

We’re going to be bottom tier this year no matter who starts at QB. I’d guess we’re finishing 3rd or 4th in the division. Bottom 3rd in the AFC. 

I just hope to see promise from our guys  (especially OL and Richardson if he plays) and improvement over the season. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think Irsay was giving the fan base a very telling comment when he said he’s not expecting a winning season, but that he wants the franchise “heading in the right direction.”   Then he added, people know what that looks like.

That came from the top.   I hope we will all get more of that from Ballard and Steichen.   CB said one of his biggest mistakes last year was failing to manage expectations.  (Ya think?!?). Everyone expected an AFC South title.    Don’t think anyone will make that mistake this year. 

But young players have to improve over  the course of the season.   Units and position groups have to get better.  The team has to be competitive in games they’re losing, especially as the season goes on.   

The Colts have to look like a team that the fans will be excited to see in 24, and that opponents won’t want to play. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

With minshew starting we will be right at the bottom

I don’t know - read an AFC South QB ranking that put us at 2nd in the South.  And I know the rest of our roster beats the crap out of Houston and Tennessee…

• Like 2

I’m not the least bit concerned about where the Colts are currently in the AFC pecking order of things.   Honestly.   

2023 is almost a Red Shirt year for the entire team as they and the coaching staff figure things out.   A gift. 

And if Richardson eventually becomes what the team thinks he can, then the kid will have the Colts leap frogging over numerous teams.   You don’t have to beat all the other teams, just the ones you you play.    

This appears to be a very promising draft class, but clearly AR is the key.   If he becomes a great quarterback the Colts will move from the back of the pack to among the leaders soon enough. 

The journey should hopefully be fun…..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

We need patience guys. This is a rebuild and it's gonna take time til we start competing again. If we win more then 6 games, Id take that as a successful season.

Good God we won 4 games with Ryan, Foles and Sam and we can’t win more than 6 games with Shane, Minshew and Richardson?  Just because we added a new quarterback that means we are in rebuild?  I have no patience for that nonsense.  This is a good roster.  I’m expecting a lot more from Shane than winning just six games.  Anything other than a winning record is unacceptable and a major underachievement imo.  Feel free to be happy with 6 wins.  If that’s where we end up I won’t be happy at all. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Good God we won 4 games with Ryan, Foles and Sam and we can’t win more than 6 games with Shane, Minshew and Richardson?  Just because we added a new quarterback that means we are in rebuild?  I have no patience for that nonsense.  This is a good roster.  I’m expecting a lot more from Shane than winning just six games.  Anything other than a winning record is unacceptable and a major underachievement imo.  Feel free to be happy with 6 wins.  If that’s where we end up I won’t be happy at all. 

I personally feel you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The roster isn't all that better. The line still has major question marks and with rookie QBs there's always going to be growing pains.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1.  How good are the new DBs and can we cover anyone?

2.  Where will we get pressure?

3.  Will the Oline be pushed back into the backfield?

QB isn't even in my top three.  Minshew is solid until we see what Richardson can do.  7 wins would be a great start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think we win 7 games this upcoming season. 

Completely fine with that too.  Excited to see a younger roster. 

i think your expectations are a little to high to be honest .  i hope you are right but when starting any rookie its usually very bumpy .  peyton, joe burrow ,josh allen   trevor lawrence all had bad first years  .    with richardson being a bigger project who started less games in college it will be bumpy  at first .     it could be ugly at some points but i just wanna see some growth by the end of the year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

So, a new HC with a new playbook, a new coaching staff, a new QB (whether it's Minshew or AR), likely at least one new starting corner, a lot of young unproven players and a questionable Oline and you EXPECT 9+ wins?

Wow... I mean, I'll be happy if you're right, but... wow...

Home

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Rams

Away

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

This is my early, EARLY guess. 5-12.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Impossible to tell at this moment. 

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

We need patience guys. This is a rebuild and it's gonna take time til we start competing again. If we win more then 6 games, Id take that as a successful season.

Anymore than 3 in my book

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

So, a new HC with a new playbook, a new coaching staff, a new QB (whether it's Minshew or AR), likely at least one new starting corner, a lot of young unproven players and a questionable Oline and you EXPECT 9+ wins?

Home

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Rams

Away

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

You really think this team is garbage.  One more win than last year.  Only one win away from home.  When Peyton joined the Colts the roster was horrible.  This roster is far from horrible.   You and the others can expect mediocrity if you want.  I’m not going too.  The AFC South is not a powerhouse division.  We clearly have a better roster than Houston or Tennessee.  The Jags have a 1st place schedule now.  Let’s see how that plays out.  All teams have turnover too and many times not for the best.  That said I actually think our roster has improved over last years.  No old quarterbacks with cement in their shoes.  I think our OL will improve over last years.  That shouldn’t be too hard to do.  JT is back and Leonard as well.  New FG kicker and Sanchez returns.  Gus returns with a strong defense.  This team is not garbage.  This team should be a lot better than 5 or 6 wins.   Even with a rookie quarterback.  Not just any rookie quarterback but we have AR5.  The best quarterback in the draft right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

You really think this team is garbage.  One more win than last year.  Only one win away from home.  When Peyton joined the Colts the roster was horrible.  This roster is far from horrible.   You and the others can expect mediocrity if you want.  I’m not going too.  The AFC South is not a powerhouse division.  We clearly have a better roster than Houston or Tennessee.  The Jags have a 1st place schedule now.  Let’s see how that plays out.  All teams have turnover too and many times not for the best.  That said I actually think our roster has improved over last years.  No old quarterbacks with cement in their shoes.  I think our OL will improve over last years.  That shouldn’t be too hard to do.  JT is back and Leonard as well.  New FG kicker and Sanchez returns.  Gus returns with a strong defense.  This team is not garbage.  This team should be a lot better than 5 or 6 wins.   Even with a rookie quarterback.  Not just any rookie quarterback but we have AR5.  The best quarterback in the draft right?

I'm not saying the team is garbage. I'm saying it's a very young team with a rookie HC and QB. There're going to be growing pains and there still are quite a few questions, the Oline being one of them. That doesn't scream 9+ wins to me.

It's funny to me you have these high expectations because AR can run. He's a QB and a very raw QB at that. I think he has the POTENTIAL to be the best QB in this draft and a top QB in the league. But he's far from reaching that potential right now and will still be far from reaching it at the start of the season. He has all of 13 college games worth of experience and this team showed last year it can't carry a less than good QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's not true about the roster when Peyton came on. 

At least not on offense. He joined a team with bookend tackles --- Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows --- Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Marcus Pollard. pretty good team. And we still had growing pains. So I wouldn't expect a winning season next year. Lots of work to do...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Not sure what to expect but I think we will consistently put up a good fight. After drafting 12 people I would think the roster has changed a good bit personnel wise. Majority of the OL was already set before the draft. I already said we would draft for OL depth in the draft and that's mostly what we did. Biggest addition seems to be the OL coach Sparano who Nelson seems to really like bc of how detailed he is and easy to understand.

I love what we've got at Tight End and I also think we have nice players at RB. I like the additions we made to the WR room. I think overall this team is more talented than what Luck had to work with his first couple years if not the entire time. We went what 11-5 Lucks first year and the cupboard was bare.  I don't think we will do that with this team but I do think we could get 7 to 8 wins. Defense will help us to stay in it while AR gets things figured out. I'm more looking to be entertained while watching AR make improvements to his game this year. Hopefully we can get a winning record but i expect a few let down performances here and there.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No one will be “happy” with 6 wins.   They’ll be happy if it looks like the team has shown improvement over the 18 week schedule.   They’ll be happy if it looks like AR is beginning to figure things out.   They’ll be happy if it looks like the team is going to be much better in 24.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Odds are very very high that AR won’t be the best QB in his rookie year.   Odds are, that’ll be Young or Stroud.   The goal is for AR to be the best QB in his class by his second year, or maybe his third year.  

That’s not just my opinion.  That’s the view of only having 13 games of experience with less than 1000 snaps.   More than any other position, a QB has to have experience.   There are few if any short cuts.   AR is going to be learning on the job at the NFL level, and that will come with growing pains.  

IMO, the most important thing for the Colts in 23 aren’t wins.   It’s getting AR up to speed for his for the future.  He’s going to make mistakes.   Hopefully the disappointments made in 23 will lead to much better play in 24 and beyond. 

• Like 1

In my book, we’re last in the AFC South right now. Second worst record, but we tied and lost to the Texans.

I think we have the first or second most talented roster in the division, but that doesn’t mean anything with how they played last year. 
I’m expecting 6 wins, max. I have no expectations for next year. Continue to build the roster, and let the young guys play and develop.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You fall victim to the same “all other things will remain constant when we improve just the offense” theory. Other teams react and adapt too. We already saw several times when other teams HAD TO score, they did against us. So from D and special teams, there will still be variations on aspects we thought will hold constant.

The margin between winning and losing is small in the NFL, so it can be 6 games, it can be 9 games but it won’t be because all other teams and facets of success for our team from last year will be the same way. Just being prepared for a wild range will do us all good.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Home

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Rams

Away

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

Man, I hadn’t looked at that schedule.   Seems like  an easy schedule.  Only a few really tough games in there.  Cincinnati, Jacksonville, and Baltimore.  Ya got the easiest NFC division, and the Rams aren’t too tough of a 17th game.  I think we can win 9 or 10…

• Thanks 1

Major factors will determine our record this upcoming season. Like how good will AR be? Will Taylor be back to 2021 form? Will Leonard be 100% healthy and ready to go by opening day? How big of an impact will Shane have on the team? On paper we are not even close to being the worst team in the league (so some people need to get that out of their head) but we are not even close to being a top 10 team either obviously - so I know this

It is too early to tell how many games we will win/pecking order we are in. We could win 6 games, we could win 9 games, too tough to call as of now.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Archer said:

I don’t know - read an AFC South QB ranking that put us at 2nd in the South.  And I know the rest of our roster beats the crap out of Houston and Tennessee…

Not sure we finish 2nd as Vrabel magically seems to get his team to play above their talent level, but I will agree that the Colts have a more talented roster especially after this recent draft over both the Titans and Texans. 

I think the Colts are headed for another losing season but am not too concerned about that. Besides watching what unfolds at quarterback next season, I'm very interested in seeing what happens on the offensive line.

Like others, I'm a little surprised they haven't added any proven veterans. Here's how the IndyStar put it:

Sparano Jr.’s first job as a full-time offensive line coach is to take roughly the same group of personnel and produce entirely different results.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/05/03/colts-how-tony-sparano-jr-plans-to-fix-o-line-with-no-outside-help/70171354007/

13 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I'm not saying the team is garbage. I'm saying it's a very young team with a rookie HC and QB. There're going to be growing pains and there still are quite a few questions, the Oline being one of them. That doesn't scream 9+ wins to me.

It's funny to me you have these high expectations because AR can run. He's a QB and a very raw QB at that. I think he has the POTENTIAL to be the best QB in this draft and a top QB in the league. But he's far from reaching that potential right now and will still be far from reaching it at the start of the season. He has all of 13 college games worth of experience and this team showed last year it can't carry a less than good QB.

I wouldn't say garbage either, but this team won 4 games last year. They were bad...and will continue to be bad until proven otherwise. I don't think adding AR and a bunch of rookies (75% of which are Day 3 picks) is enough to change that on paper.

The offense has to be better...nowhere to go but up. But the defense (which kept them from being a two-win team) is in a position for regression. It has turned over 4 starters from last year, including two vets who were the stalwarts of the secondary (Gilmore and McLeod), the starting WILL (Oke) and the starting LEO (Ngakoue). 

Those 4 players were the #2, #3, #4 and #8 players in snaps last year and represent 3 of the top 4 players on that side of the ball. And even that was a defense that still finished middle of the pack (after very different halves of the season). 

The replacement for those players are all questions marks, for one reason or another.

I was way down on Ryan last year, but still thought that was a 9-10 win team. So that really opened my eyes. I think this team wins 3-4 again next season. Maybe even less if AR is the starter all season.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I think the Colts are headed for another losing season but am not too concerned about that. Besides watching what unfolds at quarterback next season, I'm very interested in seeing what happens on the offensive line.

Like others, I'm a little surprised they haven't added any proven veterans. Here's how the IndyStar put it:

Sparano Jr.’s first job as a full-time offensive line coach is to take roughly the same group of personnel and produce entirely different results.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/05/03/colts-how-tony-sparano-jr-plans-to-fix-o-line-with-no-outside-help/70171354007/

Nope. He needs for the unit to keep improving from where they were at the last 4-5 games. There is reason to expect improvement in play at LT and RG, because of experience gained.

I contend that our blocking at All the other positions was below par also.

Steichen and his coaches will light a fire that Frank was no longer able to do.

IMO we Are going to be weak at LB and secondary. lol

We should have trouble outscoring our opponents.

6-7 wins would be a heck of an accomplishment.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Home

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Rams

Away

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

I truly believe we have gotten better from a season ago with some added new young talent and needed upgrades in the coaching staff including the most important hc. With what we saw from the trio of qbs last season ANYONE other than them would be an upgrade! Now with that being said....

As we plodded along the last few years the rest of the league was AGGRESSIVELY getting better especially in the AFC. Call it the Mahomes affect. As I look at the schedule and teams that I didn’t even speak on starting this topic like the Pats who played last season with no legit OC now have B O'Brien, the Saints now have a qb in Carr, the Steelers have surrounded yr 2 qb Pickett (who showed he's the guy) with some weapons and D Watson should return to form with the Browns after a full offseason. So I don't know how many wins we can get but I think we're behind the eight ball OVERALL in the conference and the division has tightened up as well.

Our defense is STILL a concern for me as well as the o-line. When we ABSOLUTELY need a stop they seem to come up short WAY more often than not. LB depth is razor thin especially when you consider the unknown of Leonard's health. We still have no ELITE de to speak of. A game changing type. Everyone keeps talking about AR's development but if that o-line is subpar again he will struggle with read progressions because the pocket will collapse quickly and our run game will be stifled also. Can the o-line build on better play that they showed at the end of last season? Who knows but upper tier o-line play is a must in Steichen's offense that he ran in Philly with Hurts. Whatever happens I'm all in because for the first time in a long time under Ballard I see promise on the horizon especially with the hc and qb pairing.

15 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Home

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Rams

Away

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

i see only 2 good teams actually lol.. bengals and ravens. every other team is average or below i think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Major factors will determine our record this upcoming season. Like how good will AR be? Will Taylor be back to 2021 form? Will Leonard be 100% healthy and ready to go by opening day? How big of an impact will Shane have on the team? On paper we are not even close to being the worst team in the league (so some people need to get that out of their head) but we are not even close to being a top 10 team either obviously - so I know this

It is too early to tell how many games we will win/pecking order we are in. We could win 6 games, we could win 9 games, too tough to call as of now.

I disagree the line is thin between top 10 and bottom 10. All it would take is a solid performance from the oline and richardson. We beat the chiefs with one of our worst teams in franchise history offensively. Consistentcy is the key to greatness

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Home

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Rams

Away

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

I got us at 12-5 . We lose to titans bengals,jags, on the road. Lose to steelers and saints at home. Our biggest win will be the upset in baltimore. Richardson runs all over patriots like fields.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I got us at 12-5 . We lose to titans bengals,jags, on the road. Lose to steelers and saints at home. Our biggest win will be the upset in baltimore. Richardson runs all over patriots like fields.

I'm thinking 10 or 11. ......8 or 9 if  things go sideways for whatever reason.