Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[PFF] Way-too-early 2024 NFL Mock Draft

This is more for fun and to get familiar with some of the prospects coming up next year... so... here we go... 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-way-too-early-2024-nfl-mock-draft-caleb-williams-and-marvin-harrison-jr-land-in-arizona-colts-grab-joe-alt

1. ARIZONA CARDINALS (VIA HOU): QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC 

2. ARIZONA CARDINALS: WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE

3. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: OT JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME

The Colts have their quarterback of the future in Anthony Richardson, now it’s time to build around him. Alt led all tackles in the country in overall grade (91.4) and run-blocking grade (91.0). He was also sixth among Power Five ones in pressure rate allowed (2.1%). He has a massive frame at 6-foot-8, 315 pounds and told me he has over a seven-foot wingspan. Alt looks like the best offensive tackle prospect since Penei Sewell. 

4. TENNESSEE TITANS: TE BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA

5. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

6. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: OT OLUMUYIWA FASHANU, PENN STATE

7. LOS ANGELES RAMS: CB KOOL-AID MCKINSTRY, ALABAMA

8. GREEN BAY PACKERS: WR EMEKA EGBUKA, OHIO STATE

9. ATLANTA FALCONS: EDGE JARED VERSE, FLORIDA STATE

10. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: LB JEREMIAH TROTTER JR., CLEMSON

11. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: DI JER’ZHAN NEWTON, ILLINOIS

12. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: OT JC LATHAM, ALABAMA

13. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON

14. CHICAGO BEARS: EDGE DALLAS TURNER, ALABAMA

15. CHICAGO BEARS (VIA CAR): CB KALEN KING, PENN STATE

16. DENVER BRONCOS: CB COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA HAWKEYES

17. HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA CLE): DI LEONARD TAYLOR, MIAMI (FL) HURRICANES

18. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: TE JA’TAVION SANDERS, TEXAS

19. NEW YORK GIANTS: EDGE CHOP ROBINSON, PENN STATE

20. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: EDGE J.T. TUIMOLOAU, OHIO STATE

21. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: QB QUINN EWERS, TEXAS

22. MIAMI DOLPHINS: OT GRAHAM BARTON, DUKE

23. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: CB DENZEL BURKE, OHIO STATE

24. BALTIMORE RAVENS: DI MICHAEL HALL JR., OHIO STATE

25. DETROIT LIONS: DI MAASON SMITH, LSU

26. DALLAS COWBOYS: OL COOPER BEEBE, KANSAS STATE

27. GREEN BAY PACKERS (VIA NYJ): S KAMREN KINCHENS, MIAMI (FL)

28. CINCINNATI BENGALS: S CALEN BULLOCK, USC TROJANS

29. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: OT JONAH MONHEIM, USC TROJANS

30. BUFFALO BILLS: OT KINGSLEY SUAMATAIA, BYU

31. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: WR XAVIER WORTHY, TEXAS

32. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: WR ROME ODUNZE, WASHINGTON

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@stitches I just have a feeling we won't be picking inside the Top 10 next year. Might not be good enough for the playoffs but we will be picking in the double digit slot next year, IMO (10th or later). A lot of good offensive linemen at the top of the draft.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Do whatever it takes to get Marvin Harrison, Jr on the Colts!!  Colts need a STUD WR to be #1 WR.  Hopefully, the OTs taken the last 2 drafts will be cornerstones of the OL.

While that is good to have, it is not truly necessary.

Bengals' 2 top WRs JaMarr Chase and Tee Higgins were better than all of the Chiefs WRs but the Chiefs DL and defense made enough stops to tilt the game in their favor. In fact, it was the Bengals' D and balance that carried them to 2 consecutive AFCCGs.

Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce were both drafted in Rounds 3 or later. Get the OL and the creative play caller, and get the QB that reads Ds quickly and is pass first but runs just when you need him to. We should definitely be able to contend with all phases contributing at a high level.

The Patriots, in all their 6 SB wins, never had a first round wideout. The Seahawks never did during their glory days. The Giants did (Hakeem Nicks, Plaxico Burress), the Steelers did (Santonio Holmes) but it was always a balanced approach even with those Giants and Steelers teams, no one remembered them for their offensive prowess, it was their defensive sacks from DL and/or LBs or defensive scoring they did that changed games. The Saints put up great numbers with Michael Thomas but they won a SB when they had balance on their offense with their OL being able to run and D generating scoring, not to mention special teams and that onside kick (thanks Baskett for the memories :(). Peyton and the Colts didn't win their only SB together primarily because of their first round draft picks on offense, it was their D and run game coming together to provide balance.

Balance is the name of the game, to be able to play different styles and win with contributions from D and ST along with the offense with the OL leading the way.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chad72 said:

@stitches I just have a feeling we won't be picking inside the Top 10 next year. Might not be good enough for the playoffs but we will be picking in the double digit slot next year, IMO (10th or later). A lot of good offensive linemen at the top of the draft.

Maybe. We will see I guess. Depends on how much Richardson plays. 

Just now, ColtV said:

I would absolutely lose it if the Cardinals were again in #1 and had to decide on a replacement qb!

Kyler Murray will still be running for his life with manufactured pressure :) 

I would really like the Penn State OT if we were in a position. Let’s see how Freeland and Rainman do first, but if they both flame out, that’s the direction I’d lean. Olu was going top 5 in most mocks before he decided to go back to school. I also imagine he’ll have a RAS that Ballard will love since he looks massive on tape, and Penn State is known for having some freaky athletes.

Keep an eye on USC Wr Dorian Singer, he lead the Pac 12 last year while at Arizona (Had 141 yards and 3 TDs vs USC,Riley saw enough and got him) and now goes to Williams and the Trojans to replace Jordan Addison. Definite 1st round potential. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 11:58 AM, NewColtsFan said:

The 24 draft appears to have real serious star power.    If Richardson is promising and the Colts can focus on the non-QB positions next year’s draft might really launch the Colts to new heights. 

For the teams that will be looking QB it will be an interesting group: Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are easily the top 2 but Quinn Ewers will be in his 2nd year as a starter and will have the opportunity to jump into the top QB discussion (more jump in-front of Maye than Williams). Penix Jr. I just don't see it since this will be his 6th year as a college QB.

Will be interesting to see where our needs will be next year, as we are hoping alot of young players make a jump this year.

17 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

For the teams that will be looking QB it will be an interesting group: Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are easily the top 2 but Quinn Ewers will be in his 2nd year as a starter and will have the opportunity to jump into the top QB discussion (more jump in-front of Maye than Williams). Penix Jr. I just don't see it since this will be his 6th year as a college QB.

Will be interesting to see where our needs will be next year, as we are hoping alot of young players make a jump this year.

Assuming Richardson shows enough to stay with him for the long haul, I feel confident saying the Colts 1st round pick next year will either be Harrison Jr or an OT or a DE or DT.   

So a lineman of some type is far more likely than any other position with one notable exception. 

I'm a big proponent of positional value, and I tend to not value TEs as premium positions.  But I'd consider drafting Brock Bowers over any other positional player.  He's very good.

WRs and LTs are worthy of premium picks.  Shoot, if Ballard drafts a QB at 4 this year and an LT at 3 next year, he might have finally figured it out after 6 years.  LOL.

On 5/2/2023 at 5:09 AM, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Do whatever it takes to get Marvin Harrison, Jr on the Colts!!  Colts need a STUD WR to be #1 WR.  Hopefully, the OTs taken the last 2 drafts will be cornerstones of the OL.

I actually think if Marvin was there, they would pick top DE prospect. Wr's are nice but like Bill Walsh said, you build the team and Wr's are one of the last positions you fill.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:41 AM, tweezy32 said:

i personally think QB will go 1 and 2 overall. If Teams traded up to #1 for Young, teams will trade up to #2 for Maye.

i agree but lets remember that qbs are always rated high before the season and then they have a klunker and drop in value before the draft

20 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm a big proponent of positional value, and I tend to not value TEs as premium positions.  But I'd consider drafting Brock Bowers over any other positional player.  He's very good.

WRs and LTs are worthy of premium picks.  Shoot, if Ballard drafts a QB at 4 this year and an LT at 3 next year, he might have finally figured it out after 6 years.  LOL.

I still want the Colts to get that premium defensive player in the draft.  I  actually think that based on Richardson's skill set, it should be easy finding wr's to work with him. Think big vertical wrs that can run fast and in a straight line lol.  They have loaded up on Te's so  I would love a DE or even elite corner next year.  I know the pressure would be there at 3 to pick Harrison because of his father and the Indy connection, but he would be a luxury pick. An elite corner and DE could allow us to be way more flexible on defense. I would actually trade out if Harrison was sitting there. Look at what KC did with Hill. They are super expensive in their 2nd contract and I think if we are picking in the top three, the Colts have some serious issues at qb and talent on this team moving forward.

On 5/12/2023 at 12:04 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I actually think if Marvin was there, they would pick top DE prospect. Wr's are nice but like Bill Walsh said, you build the team and Wr's are one of the last positions you fill.

Bill Walsh last coached in the NFL 25 years ago.  He died 16 years ago. Game has changed with WRs being far more premium than in the 80s.  Recent examples of QBs teams being absolutely elevated with the addition of a top tier WR include Hurts/Eagles with addition of AJ Brown (which was after they spent a high pick on Devonta Smith) and Allen/Bills with addition of Diggs.

On 5/12/2023 at 12:11 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I still want the Colts to get that premium defensive player in the draft.  I  actually think that based on Richardson's skill set, it should be easy finding wr's to work with him. Think big vertical wrs that can run fast and in a straight line lol.  They have loaded up on Te's so  I would love a DE or even elite corner next year.  I know the pressure would be there at 3 to pick Harrison because of his father and the Indy connection, but he would be a luxury pick. An elite corner and DE could allow us to be way more flexible on defense. I would actually trade out if Harrison was sitting there. Look at what KC did with Hill. They are super expensive in their 2nd contract and I think if we are picking in the top three, the Colts have some serious issues at qb and talent on this team moving forward.

Well, none of our receivers or TEs can run block.  The criticism last year was that the coaching scheme allowed defenses to stack the box against the run, preventing them from executing their natural talents.   Now we've drafted a QB who can't throw, so I don't see where our problem will be resolved quickly.

Unless you believe that AR is going to light it up downfield in the NFL because he threw well at the combine.

I would not take Marvin Jr either, based upon what I know of him right now.  He looks like he's a 6'4" WR that plays about 6'0, but we'll see what he looks like this coming season.

Brock Bowers is the reigning John Mackey Award Winner - he is on pace the be the best TE in PFF college era and is considered a generational talent.  Bowers will be high on my draft board and someone to watch this college season.

I still think our defense will struggle and needs upgraded after losing Okereke and questions about Leonard's health going forward am hoping the Colts keep tabs on MLB Jeremiah Trotter Jr (Clemson).  Trotter I think is slightly better than Jack Campbell whom I was very high on.  He is the only LB with 80+ grades in both coverage and as a pass-rusher.  He only allowed a passer rating of 42.9 and an open-target rate of 47.6%. 

The Colts are also lack a true LCB so will definitely be keeping tabs on Kool-Aid McKinstry (Alabama) who tied 2nd among all FBS in forced incompletions (18) and is also a standout as a PR.  LCB Kalen King (PSU) is another potential draft target.  King led all corner in the country in single-coverage with a 93.3 grade and a 18.3 passer rating allowed.   His 15 forced incompletions in single-coverage tied for 3rd among FBS corners in 2022.

Depending on what Julian Blackmon does this year we might be looking at Kamren Kinchens Miami (FL) who as a true FS led the country with a 90.0 grade and 90.7 coverage grade with 6 INTs.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 11:02 AM, DougDew said:

Well, none of our receivers or TEs can run block.  The criticism last year was that the coaching scheme allowed defenses to stack the box against the run, preventing them from executing their natural talents.   Now we've drafted a QB who can't throw, so I don't see where our problem will be resolved quickly.

Unless you believe that AR is going to light it up downfield in the NFL because he threw well at the combine.

I would not take Marvin Jr either, based upon what I know of him right now.  He looks like he's a 6'4" WR that plays about 6'0, but we'll see what he looks like this coming season.

His dad played pretty well at 6'0

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

His dad played pretty well at 6'0

Yes. 

Sr had blazing top end speed, though.  Not sure if Jr isn't a softish big possession receiver.   He'll be a year older and stronger this year and might be the best prospect in the draft.  Me and Moose are simply saying he might not be at this point.  

I kinda prefer Bowers as being a true mismatch for NFL defenders.

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yes. 

Sr had blazing top end speed, though.  Not sure if Jr isn't a softish big possession receiver.   He'll be a year older and stronger this year and might be the best prospect in the draft.  Me and Moose are simply saying he might not be at this point.  

If the Colts r drafting low it is time to go edge. We have drafted a lot of athletic tight ends. Edge, edge, and edge player.

• Like 2

if we aint able to trade out of top 2 or 3 with a qb needy team to trade the farm then id stay where we are and pick BPA. This draft will be crazy talent and cant pass up on trading down and miss out on these players. Unless we are able to get a future 1st out of it then stay put

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If the Colts r drafting low it is time to go edge. We have drafted a lot of athletic tight ends. Edge, edge, and edge player.

I agree.  The issue is that all of our current TEs have a pretty high bust potential.  I think the best one, Woods, showed that he had uncertainties in both blocking and catching.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't always agree with you but I'm with you on this one.  I like Paye but he doesn't seem to be a game changer.  Maybe he stays healthy for a full year and shows out, but I'm not counting on it.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 10:26 AM, DougDew said:

I agree.  The issue is that all of our current TEs have a pretty high bust potential.  I think the best one, Woods, showed that he had uncertainties in both blocking and catching.

To be honest, I find it hard to believe that Woods CAN be a good blocker at his height.  I think he's just too tall.  Not sure about the others, but we need a good blocking TE.  Moe is below average IMHO, and I don't know what we have in the rest.  Doyle was our last good blocking TE, and it's not even close.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

To be honest, I find it hard to believe that Woods CAN be a good blocker at his height.  I think he's just too tall.  Not sure about the others, but we need a good blocking TE.  Moe is below average IMHO, and I don't know what we have in the rest.  Doyle was our last good blocking TE, and it's not even close.

Yes, there comes a height when leverage is a diminished return.  But remember, Woods had a perfect RAS, so he should be able to do everything better than a TE who has a lower RAS, right?   As if playing football is about running and jumping, LOL.

RAS does not measure NFL usable leverage.  It just measures athleticism, which is overrated in today's NFL.  Yawn.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yes, there comes a height when leverage is a diminished return.  But remember, Woods had a perfect RAS, so he should be able to do everything better than a TE who has a lower RAS, right?   As if playing football is about running and jumping, LOL.

RAS does not measure NFL usable leverage.  It just measures athleticism, which is overrated in today's NFL.  Yawn.

I've been wondering who's this year (insert LB name...I already forgot him)player is, that has a good RAS, but it won't translate.  I thinks it's that DL we got who had the fastest 40 time.  I hope I'm wrong ( I AM a Colt's fan), but that is what my gut is telling me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 12:47 AM, OhioColt said:

Brock Bowers is the reigning John Mackey Award Winner - he is on pace the be the best TE in PFF college era and is considered a generational talent. 

Yes, you can see that if you watch him play.  I think he's more of a generational talent at TE than MH Jr is at WR.  There is an inherent positional value difference, but seeing Bowers mocked #4 is no surprise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 12:04 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm nowhere near as gaga over Harrison Jr. as many seem to be. But that said, Walsh 

said that what, about 40 years ago ?

It's a totally different game now.  And on top of that, Walsh ran (essentially invented ?)

a classic WCO where the need for elite WRs is somewhat diminished. 

7 hours ago, indykmj said:

I'm nowhere near as gaga over Harrison Jr. as many seem to be. But that said, Walsh 

said that what, about 40 years ago ?

It's a totally different game now.  And on top of that, Walsh ran (essentially invented ?)

a classic WCO where the need for elite WRs is somewhat diminished. 

Wr's are a dependent position where as a pass rusher puts his foot in the ground and can impact the play on every down. I would take an elite pass rusher over an elite receiver every day. You never see elite pass rushers get traded. Teams are more apt to trade an elite wr if they can. I think the wr marker is getting ridiculous and a guy like Chase from the Bengals will be interesting.

On 6/29/2023 at 3:22 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Wr's are a dependent position where as a pass rusher puts his foot in the ground and can impact the play on every down. I would take an elite pass rusher over an elite receiver every day. You never see elite pass rushers get traded. Teams are more apt to trade an elite wr if they can. I think the wr marker is getting ridiculous and a guy like Chase from the Bengals will be interesting.

TY Hill or Lawrence Taylor 

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2023 at 1:13 PM, DougDew said:

Yes. 

Yep. I suspect that Marv Jr' is a bit over hyped at this point. I'll be very surprised if 

he actually ends up being a top-5 pick.  In fact, I'd say that top-10 is even a bit 

iffy.

Just my take. Time will tell.