Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Logical options for the Colts to address the quarterback position

BlueShoe

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It’s interesting because what is really the difference between drafting a project QB and having him sit a year behind Minshew…and just drafting a much more polished QB next year?

I guess they get the benefit of seeing that QB in practice and developing him for a year, so they would have that intel.

And of course they are currently in a position that guarantees they get a project QB, as opposed to the unknown of next year’s draft. 

But I just look at the last 19 games this team has played, which included a 1-5-1 record against the lowly AFCS, and how this offseason is and should be unfolding across the league…and I don’t know if I see any other team more positioned to be bad enough to get one of those QBs next year. With a few forward-thinking moves, that position would only be strengthened. 

And 1-2 of those teams that might be worse could/should be addressing QB this year, either with one of those project QBs or even Lamar.

Also, Ballard has preached about NOT drafting a QB just to draft one…but instead drafting the “right guy.”

If the right guy was in this draft, then why didn’t they would move up to guarantee they get him? 

Sure, the right guy could still fall to them if the draft falls the right way, but I think that it’s far more likely they are taking whichever project QB is available, which is not dissimilar to taking one just to take one.

I have been a huge proponent of drafting a QB for years, but (other than last year) I was much higher on those QBs than the ones this year, even moreso with Stroud and Young out of the picture. 

And I am much higher on at least Williams and Maye. There could be more that emerge. I think Williams (especially) puts the Colts right back in the arms race in the AFC.

Plus, with the #4 pick, there are all kinds of fun ways to trade back and fill more needs on the roster. 

This would have to assume that Ballard was given a reset. And while I have been critical of Ballard, I am fine with that as long as they set that expectation and are willing to have a true rebuilding year. But they aren’t really doing that, given the moves made, so I don’t think that is the plan. 

My gut is telling me that the 6th year given to Steichen is a clue here. That extra year has been nagging me the entire time. 

It tells me whatever way they go, whether a lost year in 2023 with a rook sitting behind Minshew, or a lost year in 2023 to gain position to go after QB next year, it's still a mulligan year in 2023 regardless for everyone involved.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I have heard 3 this morning say that they believe Carolina will take Richardson at 1 and is why they are trying to trade back now because it's AR they really want and why they signed Dalton, so he could sit in Carolina.

If this is true, then that would change things greatly as I still think the Texans want young and have all along. So if Stroud falls to the Colts, then that might be a good scenario putting the Ohio state curse aside.

What will be interesting is to see if Ballard trades with AZ in this scenario or just hold tight because I have a feeling teams would trade to 3 if Stroud is still on the board.

I’ve been giving that more thought too. 

This might sound silly, but I was watching the body language between Pete and Frank yesterday at AR’s pro day. They were closely engaged. Pete desperately wants to know what Carolina is doing at number 1 overall. 

I think the Colts should move to 3 now and solidify the possibility that AR could go to Carolina or Houston. 

I get why the Colts did not move up to 1. But we need to get to 3, as soon as possible, if that pick is for sale. It might cost us a 3 along with another pick. But we need to secure any opportunity of Young or Stroud falling. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

This might sound silly, but I was watching the body language between Pete and Frank yesterday at AR’s pro day. They were closely engaged. Pete desperately wants to know what Carolina is doing at number 1 overall. 

I think the Colts should move to 3 now and solidify the possibility that AR could go to Carolina or Houston. 

I get why the Colts did not move up to 1. But we need to get to 3, as soon as possible, if that pick is for sale. It might cost us a high 3 along with another pick. But we need to secure any opportunity of Young or Stroud falling. 

The only way it doesn't cost us our current 2nd is our high 3rd and a future 3rd. Otherwise, a 2nd rounder is likely to be involved and I would definitely like our 2nd rounder this year and Ballard loves those 2nd rounders big time. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The issue with your logic is that even the QBs drafted next year would have an issue getting used to NFL speed for a year and would have to take the same lumps like Peyton did during his rookie year. When you see the success of Mahomes and QBs like Carson Palmer after they sat a year, no one is second guessing that.

Plus, the bad assumption you and so many other posters make is that a) the team that has the pick of Caleb Williams or Maye will be willing to deal it to us and b) we would be equally as sucky as this last year where a confluence of so many things (an aging immobile QB behind a declining OL at key spots) happened all at the same time and c) our GM, even if we finish in the 5-10 range with Minshew as a QB, would be willing to overpay to move to No.1 or No.2 and history says no.

A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush, that is how the saying goes.

All I know is that when viewing their play, and hearing the s0-called experts who watch and hear more than you and I might, barring catastrophic injuries, Maye and Williams are the closest QB's to generational talent locks since Luck came out. Have QBs after Luck became generational, YES, however with all the uncertainty about Allen and even Mahomes when they came out, this year just has a different vibe to it when speaking of the top 4, and I'm a little uneasy about it. Which of course means nothing, I'm just saying. I do not believe this team wins more than 7 games next year with or without a rookie QB from this class, so I'm more inclined to believe that we would be in position for Williams or Maye.

Now if Colts do take QB, and still stink up the joint and we are in position to grab Marv Jr or the Bowers TE from GA then that would be good too, as we need that in a bad way also

Just now, chad72 said:

The only way it doesn't cost us our current 2nd is our high 3rd and a future 3rd. Otherwise, a 2nd rounder is likely to be involved and I would definitely like our 2nd rounder this year. 

Yeah. That’s what I was getting at. I want to keep our 2 this year. It’s damn near a 1st. 

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I get why the Colts did not move up to 1. But we need to get to 3, as soon as possible, if that pick is for sale. It might cost us a 3 along with another pick. But we need to secure any opportunity of Young or Stroud falling. 

Honestly, if that pick is for sale, AZ's third, I would offer JT, Kelly, and our third this year, keep our 4th and call it a day. 

Or at least throw that out there. 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Honestly, if that pick is for sale, AZ's third, I would offer JT, Kelly, and our third this year, keep our 4th and call it a day. 

Or at least throw that out there. 

They won't take anyone with a contract because they are up against the cap themselves, which is why they have been trying to get rid of Hopkins. JT would be appetizing for them, for sure, because of his rookie contract but Ballard loves JT way too much, even more than Pittman, to trade him whatsoever. Just my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They won't take anyone with a contract because they are up against the cap themselves, which is why they have been trying to get rid of Hopkins. JT would be appetizing for them, for sure, because of his rookie contract but Ballard loves JT way too much, even more than Pittman, to trade him whatsoever. Just my opinion. 

You're probably right, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I have heard 3 this morning say that they believe Carolina will take Richardson at 1 and is why they are trying to trade back now because it's AR they really want and why they signed Dalton, so he could sit in Carolina.

If this is true, then that would change things greatly as I still think the Texans want young and have all along. So if Stroud falls to the Colts, then that might be a good scenario putting the Ohio state curse aside.

What will be interesting is to see if Ballard trades with AZ in this scenario or just hold tight because I have a feeling teams would trade to 3 if Stroud is still on the board.

This idea of CAR trading back is just pure clickbait. Even if they 100% knew HOU was going with 1 one 2 guys not named AR, they would have to know the team trading with them was doing the same. 

And they can’t go back any further than #3 anyways because the Colts are at #4. But the team at #3 is looking to trade back, not up, so it doesn’t work. Besides, why not just make the move to #3 and go from there. 

You don’t buy a new car and drive it off the lot and then try to sell it.

It just makes no sense. Even if this was a fantasyland and they wanted to collude  with Reich’s former team to swap #4 and #1 at a nice discount for IND, that still guarantees them nothing. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

JT‘s rookie deal is over next offseason. And he’s going to need an extension probably even before then.

If he’s a still a Colt, which he will be, my guess is that it would get done in late summer since Ballard set the precedent when he (for some strange reason) extended Hines around that time. 

13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

JT‘s rookie deal is over next offseason. And he’s going to need an extension probably even before then.

If he’s a still a Colt, which he will be, my guess is that it would get done in late summer since Ballard set the precedent when he (for some strange reason) extended Hines around that time. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they trade him.  I was shocked when they traded Marshal Faulk.  That was a long time ago when running backs were valued.  Now they are not.  So I would say it is very possible it could happen.

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The issue with your logic is that even the QBs drafted next year would have an issue getting used to NFL speed for a year and would have to take the same lumps like Peyton did during his rookie year. When you see the success of Mahomes and QBs like Carson Palmer after they sat a year, no one is second guessing that.

Plus, the bad assumption you and so many other posters make is that a) the team that has the pick of Caleb Williams or Maye will be willing to deal it to us and b) we would be equally as sucky as this last year where a confluence of so many things (an aging immobile QB behind a declining OL at key spots) happened all at the same time and c) our GM, even if we finish in the 5-10 range with Minshew as a QB, would be willing to overpay to move to No.1 or No.2 and history says no.

A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush, that is how the saying goes.

A QB next year would have to take those first season lumps, but it would also be the first year starting for the QB they draft this year.

And unless that QB is a Mahomes-esque QB, which is probably the most massive of all assumptions, there will likely be similar growing pains.

Not sure about the Palmer comp. He was the #1 overall pick and was pretty bad that first season after sitting his rookie year. Plus, he was 25. 

I get the argument about not being able to guarantee they suck bad enough. That’s fair to question and it’s a big risk.

But we began to see that level of suck even when Wentz was here, well before Ryan.

And the defense, which has kept them in games, could very easily regress with a youth movement. 

Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much better the QBs. They aren’t getting Williams without #1, but they could definitely be within range of a QB like Maye. And perhaps they would be more inclined to move up in that scenario, especially if they maneuvered to get more draft capital between now and then. 

Sure, it is very risky they would be in position. But balancing that risk with the chances that they are able to draft and develop the next Hurts or Allen, I don’t think it’s really that much of a risk. 

And with how strong the AFC is with QBs, it’s going to take a QB like that to contend. And I think Williams and even Maye are far more likely to be that level of QB than AR or Levis. 

On 3/30/2023 at 10:13 AM, BlueShoe said:

What worries me about Richardson is his accuracy. He is a physical phenomenon. Rarely have we seen a quarterback that athletic. That said, even most of his positive passes are off the mark. Accuracy is something a person is born with, and it doesn’t normally improve that much. I think he is the kind of player that Seattle takes. They take huge risks with early picks. He can create with his legs just a well as Lamar. It’s amazing watching him turn a negative play into a zero loss. He has that rare capability. 

He could end up being the best player in this entire draft. Anything is possible. However, history tells me to stay away from him. 

To me, it’s his accuracy. I think that’s where he will struggle in the NFL. We have seen crazier things, but I just cant project him to the Colts with an early pick. I would absolutely take a flyer on him later in the first round though. 

If you took a 12-game sample of Burrow, Allen or Mahomes, in isolation, you'd see completion percentages in the 50-percent range as well. The issue with Richardson is you have ONLY 12 games to go off of. And this was a 12-game stretch in which he was still adapting to a new offensive scheme. 

37 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

A QB next year would have to take those first season lumps, but it would also be the first year starting for the QB they draft this year.

And unless that QB is a Mahomes-esque QB, which is probably the most massive of all assumptions, there will likely be similar growing pains.

Not sure about the Palmer comp. He was the #1 overall pick and was pretty bad that first season after sitting his rookie year. Plus, he was 25. 

I get the argument about not being able to guarantee they suck bad enough. That’s fair to question and it’s a big risk.

But we began to see that level of suck even when Wentz was here, well before Ryan.

And the defense, which has kept them in games, could very easily regress with a youth movement. 

Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much better the QBs. They aren’t getting Williams without #1, but they could definitely be within range of a QB like Maye. And perhaps they would be more inclined to move up in that scenario, especially if they maneuvered to get more draft capital between now and then. 

Sure, it is very risky they would be in position. But balancing that risk with the chances that they are able to draft and develop the next Hurts or Allen, I don’t think it’s really that much of a risk. 

And with how strong the AFC is with QBs, it’s going to take a QB like that to contend. And I think Williams and even Maye are far more likely to be that level of QB than AR or Levis. 

It all depends on how much faith we have in Steichen. Mahomes was good because of being surrounded by Hill and Kelce and being coached by Reid, going to a playoff team with a high floor QB like Alex Smith. If he had gone to Chicago, he would have been good but not "rookie year MVP 50 TDs" level good. We have the same questions Chicago went through when they had the pick of Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes and they chose Trubisky :) 

If you feel Ballard would provide skill position additions like with Hurts (Brown on top of Smith and Goedert) or start using a FB with OL additions to run an offense with Steichen like Lamar to kick start an AR led offense till AR develops as a passer, it would definitely be worth the chance. Same thing with Levis - if they feel like they could let him learn a bit from the sidelines getting used to NFL speed (Josh Allen was injured for a brief while during his rookie year and actually benefited watching a few games from the sidelines), they can do that and do the same thing like the Bills GM, trade for a WR like Diggs or get one in the draft for Year 2 to kick start a Levis led offense, definitely lower than going all in for Lamar, from a recovery point of view if things go south.

That is why they are called prospects. No certainty, plenty of projections. Yeah, Trubisky and Watson apparently had better floors than Mahomes given what their "teams" accomplished in college but we all know what coaching and supporting ensemble did for him and the Chiefs.

Safe got us Eric Fisher over Charles Leno, safe got us Buckner over Herbert, safe got us Wentz, safe got us Ryan, we are pulling the same "safe" card with Stroud, Young, Maye as well (assuming Caleb Williams is not within reach). I for one would like us to take the swing and if Irsay, Ballard, and Steichen are on board with it, we should do it with AR or Levis. The risk is actually lower with rookie contracts and buy in from all.

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Also, Ballard has preached about NOT drafting a QB just to draft one…but instead drafting the “right guy.”

If the right guy was in this draft, then why didn’t they would move up to guarantee they get him? 

This.......

I actually thought that Stroud or Young would fit that role, but I guess I am wrong

30 minutes ago, masterlock said:

If you took a 12-game sample of Burrow, Allen or Mahomes, in isolation, you'd see completion percentages in the 50-percent range as well. The issue with Richardson is you have ONLY 12 games to go off of. And this was a 12-game stretch in which he was still adapting to a new offensive scheme. 

As Orlovsky pointed out, you take away Richardsons throw aways and he’s in the 60 percentile.  Of course you can do that to all of the QBs and increase their numbers too.

The main thing is did he progress throughout the season?  He certainly did after his first four game.  

IMO, if it comes down to him, Levis or Hooker, you go with AR.  Ease him in, even if it takes all season.

His age would be my deciding factor if you consider them all projects.  

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Has a team ever traded up then traded back?  

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

As Orlovsky pointed out, you take away Richardsons throw aways and he’s in the 60 percentile.  Of course you can do that to all of the QBs and increase their numbers too.

The main thing is did he progress throughout the season?  He certainly did after his first four game.  

IMO, if it comes down to him, Levis or Hooker, you go with AR.  Ease him in, even if it takes all season.

His age would be my deciding factor if you consider them all projects.  

I can't shake the feeling that Ballard is going to want to go for Hooker. He's a sucker for what he perceives to be undervalued players. And I also get a contrarian vibe from him, where he doesn't mind going against the popular wisdom. Case-in-point: Using a high pick on Dayo Odeyingbo, a player who was recovering from an Achilles injury. (I'm not saying that was a bad move. History will be the judge.) But, what separates this draft from others is that Ballard isn't the only one with his hands on the steering wheel--Irsay is going have a big say in this as well. So who knows?

3 hours ago, masterlock said:

I can't shake the feeling that Ballard is going to want to go for Hooker. He's a sucker for what he perceives to be undervalued players. And I also get a contrarian vibe from him, where he doesn't mind going against the popular wisdom. Case-in-point: Using a high pick on Dayo Odeyingbo, a player who was recovering from an Achilles injury. (I'm not saying that was a bad move. History will be the judge.) But, what separates this draft from others is that Ballard isn't the only one with his hands on the steering wheel--Irsay is going have a big say in this as well. So who knows?

It's certainly a "Balllard" thing to do.  The advantage is getting a really good D player and still have a developmental QB.   But he's going to have to trade back into the first for Hooker, IMO.  I don't think he's there at our 2nd.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

The only way it doesn't cost us our current 2nd is our high 3rd and a future 3rd. Otherwise, a 2nd rounder is likely to be involved and I would definitely like our 2nd rounder this year and Ballard loves those 2nd rounders big time. 

Reminder:  We traded our own 3rd for matt Ryan,  The 3rd we have is from WAS for Wentz.  Its low, pick 79.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:51 PM, BlueShoe said:

For months, I have been mulling over all the Colts options to address the quarterback position in 2023. I am laying out my thoughts; baring my thought process. Feel free to disagree, but let's all keep an open mind. If you have a pure authentic take on any of this, then I would love to hear it. However, I am not interested in anyone repeating what a "media expert" has to say; packaging another persons thoughts as your own. There are plenty of threads to be negative and nasty in. Please keep this thread rational and logical. Thank you in advance. 

Before the 2022 football season (college and pro) began, I had my way too early thoughts. I wanted to have an open mind about Matt Ryan, but my gut was telling me this guy was washed up. I was even on a podcast at the end of 2021, ripping Matt Ryan apart, and I even called him washed. I think Ryan is about as good as a teammate that anyone could ever ask for. He is a true pro, but his game was clearly over. I was surprised when the Colts made him QB1. I thought, well... Maybe I was a little premature in writing Ryan off... I always try to keep an open mind. Contrary to popular opinion around here, I do not always think I am right. I just have an extremely high hit rate of being correct. But for humility sake, I was wrong about Sam Darnold. I can admit that now. I think some of it had to do with the position that Sam was put in... But it was mostly an issue with Sam. I thoroughly scouted him. I felt he had a chance to be elite. I missed. 

Going into the the 2022 season, I was very high on Will Levis... I felt he had an opportunity to supplant himself as the clear top pick in the 2023 draft. I projected he was going to have issues similar to Josh Allen... in Allen's final season at Wyoming. Just like Allen, Levis is also not mechanically perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement there. Working with Jordan Palmer will be the best thing for Will Levis this offseason. In Allen's final collegiate season, he lost a lot of talent, and was forced to work with younger, unproven players. This made him the most polarizing player in the draft. I felt the same thing was going to happen to Will Levis, and it did... However, I could not foresee the injuries Levis would have to play through. Turf toe is tough for a player who touches the ball on every play. This compounded the already existing adversity that Levis was dealing with (lack of talent around him). As the year moved on, I began to notice an arrogance about Will Levis. And not the typical arrogance that we see in a young quarterback. Something felt off about his personality. I feel that on the field, Levis has all the tools. But when I start seeing issues with a players personality, my radar goes way up. There is something off about this dude. It could be immaturity, and he could overcome it. Some do, but most don't. If he does grow up, and finds humility, then I think he could be a great NFL QB. Unfortunately I get a lot of Jay Cutler and Jeff George vibes from him. 

Historically it has been a challenge to scout Alabama quarterbacks. For years they had the best offensive line, the best backs, the best receivers, and dominating defenses. However, over the past few years we have seen more parity in the SEC. Hell, Tennessee beat Alabama last year, in one of the more amazing and entertaining games of the year. Bryce Young was not playing with the cast that we normally see an Alabama QB have at his disposal. Because of this, I learned how creative Young can be, when he has to. I love his natural instincts to protect the ball and continue looking downfield when the play breaks down. He navigates the pocket like a 10-year NFL veteran. He can throw passes from different angles, and off platform (Mahomes like). His ability to work through his reads are just off the chart. He is going to come into the NFL as one of the more polished QBs we have seen in a long time. I believe if he were 6'4" then we would all be comparing Bryce Young to Andrew Luck, and he would be the clear number 1 player in this draft. I see a lot of Drew Brees in Young. They do a lot of things very similar. Bryce Young is my number 1 quarterback in this draft, and if by miracle he drops to 3, the Colts better give up whatever it takes to get that pick from the Cardinals. I would bet on Bryce Young becoming more like Drew Brees than becoming the next Kyler Murray. Either is possible... But I see Young being very successful in the NFL... 

Throwing mechanics start with the feet and CJ Stroud has great footwork. He is smooth and his upper body falls into perfect place because his feet set the throw up correctly. I consider Stroud's throwing motion to be mechanically sound. I have a similar take on Stroud that I did with Burrow. He has played with great receivers... Probably the next great receiver in the NFL is Marvin Harrison Jr... Look at the last 2 seasons of Ohio State receivers... It gives me the LSU vibe that Burrow played with. Plus they are both mechanically sound. I felt that Burrow would be a very good QB in the NFL, but I could not place his ceiling... I thought he was a safe pick and I feel the same about CJ Stroud. In my mind, Stroud fits the mold of what Frank Reich wants in his offense. I am leaning heavily towards, the Panthers taking him with the first pick. If he falls to 3, the Colts need to do whatever it takes to get to 3. I don't see him falling past Houston, and I feel as though he is going number 1 overall. 

I think there is a better chance (albeit slim) that Young falls to 3 than Stroud falling. We are talking about ceilings of Burrow vs Brees here... But the floor is much higher with Stroud and that makes him the safer pick. Most likely both will be off the board at 3. 

So that takes us back to Levis. [Big IF] If he passes my interviews then I would take him. And I would move up to 3 for him. If I couldn't shake the bad vibes, then I am looking at plan C, D, and E...

Plan A would be for Young to fall... Cause I doubt Stroud will. Neither is very likely though. Plan B would be to determine if Levis is the guy. 

Plan C and D are geared towards moving back in the draft a couple of times... taking Hendon Hooker in the late teens or early twenties or trading 2 number 1's for Lamar. 

I really like Hooker's pocket mobility. There are times when he doesn’t see the rush, but it’s a similar issue I noticed early with Aaron Rodgers, and he can overcame it. Hooker can be very accurate, but he lacks anticipation. Has a strong enough arm, and wheels. While it is not an exact carbon copy, I see a lot of Daniel Jones in Hooker. And he will have the same hurdles in the NFL. But the potential is there. 

Making a play for Lamar would consist of a lot of IF's... Can the Colts sign him to a contract that makes sense... Something the Colts would walk away from within a few years, if needed. 

Plan E is riding with Minshew. 

That is my logic on how I would approach addressing the quarterback... We will see what the Colts do, but I would not be surprised if they share some, if not all of my thoughts on this. 

Your thoughts? Let 'em rip. 

I truly believe the Colts stay at 4.

With doubts existing re the top QB in the draft I wonder if Ballard is looking at the possibility of trading for Lamar. With Lamar, you know what you're getting, and it's probably better than any of the draft prospects--just depends on what it would cost (probably 2 1st rd picks)

15 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

With doubts existing re the top QB in the draft I wonder if Ballard is looking at the possibility of trading for Lamar. With Lamar, you know what you're getting, and it's probably better than any of the draft prospects--just depends on what it would cost (probably 2 1st rd picks)

Let's hope not. 

15 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Let’s hope so.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:35 AM, Smonroe said:

I’m leaning towards drafting Richardson and signing Lamar.  Always a two (big) TE set.  JT, Deon, and Moss in the backfield.  

Then we run the Double Wing offense.  Maybe two or three passes a game.  

The Olinemen would love it.  The Ds wouldn’t know what hit them.  

I'm leaning heavily towards picking best avaialble player at 4 and drafting a qb in the 2nd

On 3/31/2023 at 7:52 AM, richard pallo said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they trade him.  I was shocked when they traded Marshal Faulk.  That was a long time ago when running backs were valued.  Now they are not.  So I would say it is very possible it could happen.

They traded Marshall because they intended to draft a replacement. Edge. I remember distinctly hearing back then that as great as Faulk was they wanted a more "powerful" guy so we could convert third and ones. 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm leaning heavily towards picking best avaialble player at 4 and drafting a qb in the 2nd

I would be fine with that too.  They’ve done the research, if they don’t feel any available QB is worth the pick, then go with the Stash for a year.  

The only thing I don’t like is mortgaging the future for Lamar.  

On 3/31/2023 at 12:25 PM, masterlock said:

Ballard’s consistent move has been to give his offensive minded HC the QB of choice.   So it likely matters less what Ballard thinks of Hooker and matters more what Steichen thinks of Hooker.   History says Steichen is the key voice and vote. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard’s consistent move has been to give his offensive minded HC the QB of choice.   So it likely matters less what Ballard thinks of Hooker and matters more what Steichen thinks of Hooker.   History says Steichen is the key voice and vote. 

I hope you’re right.  And I hope whoever we get, that they don't put him in until he’s ready.  

Except for CJ and Bryce, the next three will take time to develop, if they even do.  I think we have the right coach for it.  I hope he’s not pushed into moving a guy along too fast.  

Our situation reminds me of the year Buffalo drafted Manuel. He was the only QB taken in the first because the Bills were so QB needy.  He was the AR of that time, except with more experience.  

On 3/30/2023 at 9:54 AM, jbaron04 said:

It was a good read I like a lot of the QB takes and I feel that similar personality issue with Levis. Every time I hear him talk something seems off. He seems very cocky and arrogant for a player who been in college football as long as he has and not that polished doesn’t seem warranted. But it could just be a chip on his shoulder underdog prove them wrong type mentality. I am comfortable with young , stroud , Levis*, Richardson* as the pick and understand each one would take a different plan for success. Young and stroud for the same reason you stated. Richardson I like for the physical tools and that untapped  clay he is only 20 years old turning 21. With Richardson we have to think long term like him and JT running the RPO would be deadly and would make the read’s easier and simple for him while he develops as a passer. With the current team we have I could see a path for success for him. I’m not really sold on hooker because of the age thing like he is gonna be what 25-26 by the time he play when you have all the top QBs in afc right now 23-28 with 2-7 years of exp and he would be a redshirted rookie starting first game at 26-27. I think we should go for it all and trust the staff we put together and take the player with the most upside and is only 20 years old and we can gradually improve him each year even if it takes 2-3 years to make him a good starter he would only be 22—24 which is still younger than Levis and hooker is now. 
No risk it no biscuit , 

minshew and hooker

This draft has more mid to late round options at QB that I like than usual.  Even if things get fruity up top and Ballard ends up passing on Levis because he puts mayonaise in his coffee there are guys I do like in this draft.  Haener, Tune, Hall.  More I watch Hall in fact the more I like him.

Archived