Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Logical options for the Colts to address the quarterback position

BlueShoe

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

All good points.

The Big ?

How much does Steichen like the offense he ran last season. Is it his best work? And what is Richardsons potential? And can we build an OL to run it?

Very good point 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Strichen has said he builds his offense to what the quarterback does best.   He does not ask the quarterback to fit into a set offense even if it’s not what the QB excels at.   

Rough translation:   Steichen does not have one set offense.   He’s open to a custom fit for whoever his QB turns out to be. 

I agree he will do that.  But like BBZ asked.   I wonder what style of offense he would prefer    Then go find a QB that has those strengths.   

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

What’s the difference between Levis saying “I have a cannon for an arm” and AR saying he’s going to be “one of the greats in a few years” and throwing his WR under the bus? AR is humble but Levis is cocky? 

Best way I can describe it…

Do you know how Peyton sometimes says something goofy and playful? Take the Saturday Night Live skit where he was beaming kids with footballs and acting like a jerk. Peyton acted like that, because it was a funny thing to do. 

Well… with someone like Levis, Jay Cutler, Jeff George, and so on… They are acting to be serious. It’s intentional. And if anything they’re trying to hide something. 

At this time, I do not trust Will Levis to be the face of the franchise.

By the way, I have seen Peyton interact with kids many times. He treats them all like they’re his little brother that he is playfully picking on. I can’t tell you how many times he has backed towards the ropes at training camp… Then turned around and sprayed kids with Gatorade. Kids ate that stuff up. I feel like Levis would do something like that because the kids were getting on his nerves. 

17 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

For months, I have been mulling over all the Colts options to address the quarterback position in 2023. I am laying out my thoughts; baring my thought process. Feel free to disagree, but let's all keep an open mind. If you have a pure authentic take on any of this, then I would love to hear it. However, I am not interested in anyone repeating what a "media expert" has to say; packaging another persons thoughts as your own. There are plenty of threads to be negative and nasty in. Please keep this thread rational and logical. Thank you in advance. 

Before the 2022 football season (college and pro) began, I had my way too early thoughts. I wanted to have an open mind about Matt Ryan, but my gut was telling me this guy was washed up. I was even on a podcast at the end of 2021, ripping Matt Ryan apart, and I even called him washed. I think Ryan is about as good as a teammate that anyone could ever ask for. He is a true pro, but his game was clearly over. I was surprised when the Colts made him QB1. I thought, well... Maybe I was a little premature in writing Ryan off... I always try to keep an open mind. Contrary to popular opinion around here, I do not always think I am right. I just have an extremely high hit rate of being correct. But for humility sake, I was wrong about Sam Darnold. I can admit that now. I think some of it had to do with the position that Sam was put in... But it was mostly an issue with Sam. I thoroughly scouted him. I felt he had a chance to be elite. I missed. 

Going into the the 2022 season, I was very high on Will Levis... I felt he had an opportunity to supplant himself as the clear top pick in the 2023 draft. I projected he was going to have issues similar to Josh Allen... in Allen's final season at Wyoming. Just like Allen, Levis is also not mechanically perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement there. Working with Jordan Palmer will be the best thing for Will Levis this offseason. In Allen's final collegiate season, he lost a lot of talent, and was forced to work with younger, unproven players. This made him the most polarizing player in the draft. I felt the same thing was going to happen to Will Levis, and it did... However, I could not foresee the injuries Levis would have to play through. Turf toe is tough for a player who touches the ball on every play. This compounded the already existing adversity that Levis was dealing with (lack of talent around him). As the year moved on, I began to notice an arrogance about Will Levis. And not the typical arrogance that we see in a young quarterback. Something felt off about his personality. I feel that on the field, Levis has all the tools. But when I start seeing issues with a players personality, my radar goes way up. There is something off about this dude. It could be immaturity, and he could overcome it. Some do, but most don't. If he does grow up, and finds humility, then I think he could be a great NFL QB. Unfortunately I get a lot of Jay Cutler and Jeff George vibes from him. 

Historically it has been a challenge to scout Alabama quarterbacks. For years they had the best offensive line, the best backs, the best receivers, and dominating defenses. However, over the past few years we have seen more parity in the SEC. Hell, Tennessee beat Alabama last year, in one of the more amazing and entertaining games of the year. Bryce Young was not playing with the cast that we normally see an Alabama QB have at his disposal. Because of this, I learned how creative Young can be, when he has to. I love his natural instincts to protect the ball and continue looking downfield when the play breaks down. He navigates the pocket like a 10-year NFL veteran. He can throw passes from different angles, and off platform (Mahomes like). His ability to work through his reads are just off the chart. He is going to come into the NFL as one of the more polished QBs we have seen in a long time. I believe if he were 6'4" then we would all be comparing Bryce Young to Andrew Luck, and he would be the clear number 1 player in this draft. I see a lot of Drew Brees in Young. They do a lot of things very similar. Bryce Young is my number 1 quarterback in this draft, and if by miracle he drops to 3, the Colts better give up whatever it takes to get that pick from the Cardinals. I would bet on Bryce Young becoming more like Drew Brees than becoming the next Kyler Murray. Either is possible... But I see Young being very successful in the NFL... 

Throwing mechanics start with the feet and CJ Stroud has great footwork. He is smooth and his upper body falls into perfect place because his feet set the throw up correctly. I consider Stroud's throwing motion to be mechanically sound. I have a similar take on Stroud that I did with Burrow. He has played with great receivers... Probably the next great receiver in the NFL is Marvin Harrison Jr... Look at the last 2 seasons of Ohio State receivers... It gives me the LSU vibe that Burrow played with. Plus they are both mechanically sound. I felt that Burrow would be a very good QB in the NFL, but I could not place his ceiling... I thought he was a safe pick and I feel the same about CJ Stroud. In my mind, Stroud fits the mold of what Frank Reich wants in his offense. I am leaning heavily towards, the Panthers taking him with the first pick. If he falls to 3, the Colts need to do whatever it takes to get to 3. I don't see him falling past Houston, and I feel as though he is going number 1 overall. 

I think there is a better chance (albeit slim) that Young falls to 3 than Stroud falling. We are talking about ceilings of Burrow vs Brees here... But the floor is much higher with Stroud and that makes him the safer pick. Most likely both will be off the board at 3. 

So that takes us back to Levis. [Big IF] If he passes my interviews then I would take him. And I would move up to 3 for him. If I couldn't shake the bad vibes, then I am looking at plan C, D, and E...

Plan A would be for Young to fall... Cause I doubt Stroud will. Neither is very likely though. Plan B would be to determine if Levis is the guy. 

Plan C and D are geared towards moving back in the draft a couple of times... taking Hendon Hooker in the late teens or early twenties or trading 2 number 1's for Lamar. 

I really like Hooker's pocket mobility. There are times when he doesn’t see the rush, but it’s a similar issue I noticed early with Aaron Rodgers, and he can overcame it. Hooker can be very accurate, but he lacks anticipation. Has a strong enough arm, and wheels. While it is not an exact carbon copy, I see a lot of Daniel Jones in Hooker. And he will have the same hurdles in the NFL. But the potential is there. 

Making a play for Lamar would consist of a lot of IF's... Can the Colts sign him to a contract that makes sense... Something the Colts would walk away from within a few years, if needed. 

Plan E is riding with Minshew. 

That is my logic on how I would approach addressing the quarterback... We will see what the Colts do, but I would not be surprised if they share some, if not all of my thoughts on this. 

Your thoughts? Let 'em 

I think Ballard trades the 4th pick for a lower 1st round with bonus picks. He will stock with youth at all the holes and draft Hooker, Hall, or another mid round QB. We roll with Minshew and our mid round QB. If that isn't working we will trade to the top of next year's draft to get our franchise QB.

3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think Ballard trades the 4th pick for a lower 1st round with bonus picks. He will stock with youth at all the holes and draft Hooker, Hall, or another mid round QB. We roll with Minshew and our mid round QB. If that isn't working we will trade to the top of next year's draft to get our franchise QB.

Yeah. You are referring to the plans C and E that I mentioned. I absolutely think this is possible. 

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Best way I can describe it…

Do you know how Peyton sometimes says something goofy and playful? Take the Saturday Night Live skit where he was beaming kids with footballs and acting like a jerk. Peyton acted like that, because it was a funny thing to do. 

Well… with someone like Levis, Jay Cutler, Jeff George, and so on… They are acting to be serious. It’s intentional. And if anything they’re trying to hide something. 

I can see that — perhaps Levis is trying to mask some insecurity with over confidence. But the point remains: You described AR as humble but a humble person doesn’t predict he’s going to be one of the greats in a few years. Goose, gander. 

4 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I can see that — perhaps Levis is trying to mask some insecurity with over confidence. But the point remains: You described AR as humble but a humble person doesn’t predict he’s going to be one of the greats in a few years. Goose, gander. 

There is intent in words. And someone saying, I’m just happy to be mentioned as a top 10 pick, but I want to be great… That’s a far cry from someone who acts like Levis. I’ve seen that movie before. Jeff George could have been a great quarterback. He had the most gifted arm I’ve ever seen. But he was a coach killer. I get the same coach-killing vibe from Levis. 

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I must be easily swayed.  After ARs pro day (which I know is mostly meaningless) I think he should be Plan A.  Let him sit for a year and learn.

McShay makes a great point about how his age is such an advantage.

If we stuck to that plan then it would be great. Take AR and let a Minshew play. But it would never play out that way. Problem is, the fan base and local reporters would go crazy. They’d demand for AR to play by week 4. Can you imagine the write up’s from Doyle? For some reason a lot of people love that nonsense. The team would be hounded by it every day. Every press conference. Every interview with the players. It would be a nonstop distraction. It would cause disorder on the team. Nothing good can possibly come from that situation. Because letting him sit would be hell on the entire organization. And letting him play would ruin his development. 

The best fit for AR is to get drafted at 3 or 5 by Seattle. Sit a year or two behind Gino. Pete has a way of bringing out the best in these types of risky players. And AR would get the development he needs to be successful. 

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

If we stuck to that plan then it would be great. Take AR and let a Minshew play. But it would never play out that way. Problem is, the fan base and local reporters would go crazy. They’d demand for AR to play by week 4. Can you imagine the write up’s from Doyle? For some reason a lot of people love that nonsense. The team would be hounded by it every day. Every press conference. Every interview with the players. It would be a nonstop distraction. It would cause disorder on the team. Nothing good can possibly come from that situation. Because letting him sit would be hell on the entire organization. And letting him play would ruin his development. 

It wouldn’t let me put in McShay’s analysis from YouTube, but he had a great point.  You put him in for certain scenarios, like at the goal line.  Give him a couple plays to work on in practice.  

As far as the distractions, hopefully our coaches (and our owner) is smarter than that.  They know that playing a guy when he’s not ready can ruin him.  I doubt they’d succumb to media pressure with that big of an investment.  

Like Todd said, you let him learn for a year, even two, and you still have a very young QB.  

I think someone is going to trade with Arizona to get him.  

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It wouldn’t let me put in McShay’s analysis from YouTube, but he had a great point.  You put him in for certain scenarios, like at the goal line.  Give him a couple plays to work on in practice.  

As far as the distractions, hopefully our coaches (and our owner) is smarter than that.  They know that playing a guy when he’s not ready can ruin him.  I doubt they’d succumb to media pressure with that big of an investment.  

Like Todd said, you let him learn for a year, even two, and you still have a very young QB.  

I think someone is going to trade with Arizona to get him.  

You’re not new to this. You have been around a long time, my friend. Think about it. Really think about it. 

The Colts are 2-2… The team would be terrorized daily by reporters and fans. People say they don’t listen to outside noise. We both know that’s nonsense. 

Something like this could literally rip a team into shreds. 

Take this for example…. We know that our defense played great in many games last year. Sure they had some letdowns after being on the field all day. But for the most part, they played winning football for most of the games. Fair statement? We also know Kwitty is a really good guy. Another fair statement?

Well, even a humble Kwitty was caught off guard after a game last year. He told a reporter that he couldn’t believe they weren’t winning. He felt the defense was playing winning football. This was not something he said to cause a disruption. He was just being honest and let his true feelings slip. 

Players are human. They hear the noise. It affects them. 

I can see Seattle moving up to 3. Makes perfect sense and it’s a perfect fit. 

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Steve Smith is speaking the truth right now. That’s how I see it too. 

For those not watching, Steve Smith just said… And I am paraphrasing here… That he would not take AR with a high draft pick. He said too much will be expected of him early. And that could hurt him in the long run. He said that AR has leaned on his physical abilities and has not learned how to be a QB yet. 

Spot on!

I always long for the days when a QB was a “field general.”   Unitas, Jones, Manning, Luck.  I guess those days are behind us, and all we can look forward to are guys who get the play call via a speaker in their helmet, execute only that play and run if it breaks down.  Getting old stinks.

When I hear people talk about ar they mention mechanics more than accuracy. When you hear about Levis is about decision making. Levis will look great 7/10 times but the other 3/10 is the bad Carson Wentz version. People talk about the talent around levis but Vanderbilt doesn't have superior talent to Kentucky. I don't think levis and richardson are that far apart so putting there age in consideration i would take ar and have him sit like the chiefs did mahomes

Listened to Polian today talking about the 4 QBs. Talked about AR and his accuracy and he says it all starts with footwork and says accuracy can be greatly improved with coaching. Talked about AR having to sit a year and said you have to do it and put up with any side noise. I am paraphrasing here but seemed to like Levis, said the knock on Stroud is reactions under pressure and seemed to think Young was most NFL but all had a lot to learn.

All the things I have read from Kentucky people is that Levis is a great leader and loved by his teammates and coaches. They say he is obsessed with football and improving. Extremely bright and has a masters degree in Finance already. I have read some reporters comments about his interviewing not going well but but heard a few teams were impressed. 

“He continues to lead and he’s a great leader, great teammate, but he’s working on himself to be a better football player,” Stoops said. “That’s what you love about him and that’s contagious.” The Kentucky coach also knows Levis hasn’t reached his full potential. “Everybody can improve,” Stoops said.

5 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

With the future on the line, I rather have cap space and youth this year. Trade up next season and get your QB, I just feel Levis and Richardson are projects where next years draft has way more franchise QB potential. Delayed Gratification...

58 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

With the future on the line, I rather have cap space and youth this year. Trade up next season and get your QB, I just feel Levis and Richardson are projects where next years draft has way more franchise QB potential. Delayed Gratification...

That logical, practical, and the right thing to do.  But I’ll bet a dollar to a donut - it ain’t happening.

Besides, if they draft a guy this year and by the end of the season they can tell it wasn’t going to work out, they can still draft another one next year.  That’s what Arizona did, right?

57 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That logical, practical, and the right thing to do.  But I’ll bet a dollar to a donut - it ain’t happening.

Besides, if they draft a guy this year and by the end of the season they can tell it wasn’t going to work out, they can still draft another one next year.  That’s what Arizona did, right?

I'm not sure about Arizona. But I like the idea of getting the Oline and run game back on par. A fair atempt to establish a scheme on offense that is constant, it gives a QB out of next year's draft a chance to succeed. We need a solid oline and run game to let a QB grow for the future. I will be happy to see the new coaching staff get the oline built back in sync and consistant. I have a feeling Ballard wants this with all the evaluating of mid round QBs we are doing. 

The problem we face when looking for logical options: "People are not logical - they're psychological." That applies not only to potential quarterback selections, but also to the team that selects them.

Some people think they can "read" the minds of others. Usually, they are wrong.

50 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

The problem we face when looking for logical options: "People are not logical - they're psychological." That applies not only to potential quarterback selections, but also to the team that selects them.

Or if there are enough scenarios thrown around someone is going to guess it. When that happens they will claim they had it figured.  :dunno:

16 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

We can cherry pick the players who turned out great, with huge risk and high payoffs. But that doesn’t paint the true picture of how many times those players flop. It’s a very high percent  these types of gambles don’t pay off. 

And it’s also not easy dealing with a player like Metcalf. You can’t have too many of them in the same locker room. We are talking about different issues though. 

AR is a great kid. His personality is exactly what you’re looking for. Metcalf’s ability was never in question. It was his mental toughness, which he still struggles with. 

AR can only improve his accuracy so much. Cleaning up his mechanics will help. However, there is a ceiling for his accuracy, and it is not very high. It’s an algorithm of depth perception, touch/feel, hand-eye coordination, and so many other things… intangible things too. A person is either born an accurate passer or they are not. AR was not born an accurate passer. Just like other QBs we’re not born with the special physical gifts that AR was born with. 

Ok fair point , but we don’t need him to be drew Brees. We just need to maximize what he is good at while teaching him to get his yards but not put his body on the line unless it’s important. I understand what you saying doe. But I see a path for success 

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I must be easily swayed.  After ARs pro day (which I know is mostly meaningless) I think he should be Plan A.  Let him sit for a year and learn.

McShay makes a great point about how his age is such an advantage.

I'm sorry, your take on the situation makes zero sense imho. Think about it. If you are going to sit someone all year behind Minshew, HOPING, he would learn, HOPING, then why wouldn't you just play Minshew ALL year, and let Ellinger learn, and then next draft go get either Maye or Williams who won't have to sit and learn. Those 2 are locks to start right away as they are far ahead better than any of these guys in the 2023 draft this year including Stroud and Young.

16 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

The best fit for AR is to get drafted at 3 or 5 by Seattle. Sit a year or two behind Gino. Pete has a way of bringing out the best in these types of risky players. And AR would get the development he needs to be successful. 

What I find incredibly silly is the notion that some on this forum believe that AR will eventually become a franchise QB once he "sits and learns, works out with Jordan Palmer, increases his accuracy, etc. , yet to most the idea of being able to sell the farm or do whatever it takes to grab Maye or Williams next year is not possible or highly unlikely. :facepalm: When what's more unlikely is AR doing everything he needs to do with succession where he ultimately becomes a franchise QB.

I'm sorry, I don't see it with Richardson, and even if I end up being wrong, I would rather let some other team be right about him. 

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

What I find incredibly silly is the notion that some on this forum believe that AR will eventually become a franchise QB once he "sits and learns, works out with Jordan Palmer, increases his accuracy, etc. , yet to most the idea of being able to sell the farm or do whatever it takes to grab Maye or Williams next year is not possible or highly unlikely. :facepalm: When what's more unlikely is AR doing everything he needs to do with succession where he ultimately becomes a franchise QB.

I'm sorry, I don't see it with Richardson, and even if I end up being wrong, I would rather let some other team be right about him. 

Thats why these teams are looking to pay you the big bucks for your opinion right? Captain Got All Da Answers. Lol!

57 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Or if there are enough scenarios thrown around someone is going to guess it. When that happens they will claim they had it figured.  :dunno:

There are so many different possibilities… It’s hard to project. I laid out several different possibilities, but there are still more. I’m trying to put myself in the shoes of the front office. I enjoy those types of brain exercises. 

We know some things, because they tell us. Steichen wants a quarterback with great accuracy and someone who is obsessed with football. Every prospect will tell the Colts brass that they are obsessed. They’re trained to do so. But they can’t hide the accuracy. 

Jim Irsay has mentioned (or answered a question about) that it would be nice to have a quarterback on a rookie deal. And he acknowledges the advantages in that. Not exactly shattering news, by any means… But all of these things give us small windows into the thought process. 

We also know that Ballard is honest. When he chooses to give us hints, they are not lies. He is historically very truthful. Every year we can go back, check his words, and he told us what he was going to do. 

This season is just so full of possibilities. More than usual. 

To me it’s not about figuring out what the Colts front office is going to exactly do. It’s understanding the logic behind the decision. 

Personally at the end of the day, I will either say that I understood the Colts logic or I didn’t. Because even though I presented plans A, B, C, D, E… This is all situational and those plans could move as the wind blows. 

To me, that’s what this board is about. To some others, maybe it’s about something else. Neither is wrong. 

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Thats why these teams are looking to pay you the big bucks for your opinion right? Captain Got All Da Answers. Lol!

Such a weird response. Not a single person here is paid by a team for their opinion and answers. Including you….but still you post. 

6 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Such a weird response. Not a single person here is paid by a team for their opinion and answers. Including you….but still you post. 

I think he meant it to be funny, but it came out wrong. I’ve known Krunk (on this board) a long time. Imagine some buddies sitting around drinking a few and giving each other crap. That’s what I love about Krunk. He is just a good dude. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think he meant it to be funny, but it came out wrong. I’ve known Krunk (on this board) a long time. Imagine some buddies sitting around drinking a few and giving each other crap. That’s what I love about Krunk. He is just a good dude. 

Krunk is a great member here. Maybe I missed the sarcasm. 

25 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm sorry, your take on the situation makes zero sense imho. Think about it. If you are going to sit someone all year behind Minshew, HOPING, he would learn, HOPING, then why wouldn't you just play Minshew ALL year, and let Ellinger learn, and then next draft go get either Maye or Williams who won't have to sit and learn. Those 2 are locks to start right away as they are far ahead better than any of these guys in the 2023 draft this year including Stroud and Young.

Simple.  Because we know Sam’s ceiling, and it’s not as a franchise QB.  You can’t even compare his skills to ARs.  

As far as next years draft, who’s to say if we’ll have the draft capital? Who’s to say either of those two will be better than any of the available rookie QBs this year?

Remember when Jake Fromm was going to be a #1 pick the year before his last season?  Remember when Matt Leinart was the #1 pick but decided to stay another year?

You (and everyone else) have no clue what the future will bring.  So, IMHO, you’re take makes no sense.  I guess that makes us both senseless.  

24 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I didn’t include AR in my plans (A, B, C, D, and E) and I could be wrong. Steichen said he values accuracy in a quarterback, so to me that removes AR at #4.

Plus, I think AR is a perfect fit for Seattle. So I think AR will be gone if we move back. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Simple.  Because we know Sam’s ceiling, and it’s not as a franchise QB.  You can’t even compare his skills to ARs.  

As far as next years draft, who’s to say if we’ll have the draft capital? Who’s to say either of those two will be better than any of the available rookie QBs this year?

Remember when Jake Fromm was going to be a #1 pick the year before his last season?  Remember when Matt Leinart was the #1 pick but decided to stay another year?

You (and everyone else) have no clue what the future will bring.  So, IMHO, you’re take makes no sense.  I guess that makes us both senseless.  

I believe the same happened to Matt Barkley who also stayed an extra year at USC. Why I am a supporter of players going pro when they can be a high pick. I’m not a fan of Richardson and think he is a bust. Some say he should have stayed another year but getting away from that Florida team combined with a chance to be a top 10 or first round pick is too good of a chance to pass up. 

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I believe that’s where the board gets disconnected. It’s not about reading someone’s mind. To me it’s about understanding the logic behind the decision making. I believe a lot of people think this board is designed for a single way of thinking… Maybe someone bullied them into that mindset, or they just have that type of personality. 

I see this board as a place for creative thoughts and I enjoy talking to authentic people. That’s why I clash with the folks who consistently repeat the mainstream narratives, especially those who package that narrative as their own thoughts. To me, people with that type of personality are the weakest critical thinkers. I rub them the wrong way, and they rub me the wrong way. 

This board is a melting pot. None of us should tell others they must use this board a specific way. As long as everyone follows the same rules, which they agreed to at signing up… 

10 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I believe the same happened to Matt Barkley who also stayed an extra year at USC. Why I am a supporter of players going pro when they can be a high pick. I’m not a fan of Richardson and think he is a bust. Some say he should have stayed another year but getting away from that Florida team combined with a chance to be a top 10 or first round pick is too good of a chance to pass up. 

You are probably right about him staying another year but if I were wearing his shoes, I would have done the same thing. 

10 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It’s funny you bring up Matt Barkley…

His accuracy was 10 out of 10. Top tier. He could consistently hit the cross bar from 20-30 yards out. I’ve seen him do it. I’ve talked to him a few times too… Great dude! 

26 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

You could be right about AR, no one can say at this point.  What I like about him, besides his physical abilities, is his intelligence and apparent love for the game.  The Colts could sit him a year behind Minshew, see how he’s progressing in practice and the film room, give him a few game reps, and then make a decision whether to stay the course or reboot next year.

If that were the case, we’re probably in no worse shape than taking either of the other two (assuming Stroud and Young are gone).   They’d probably have to do the same with them anyway.  

You are so right about him staying.  If he stayed and had the same year at Florida, he’s probably not a 1st rounder next year.  Smart decision to go out know.  

This draft will have some drama

QB1 and QB2 are probably gone

If we stay put at 4, should see SOMEONE make a move for the 3rd pick (Seattle or Raiders) - To get Richardson

So.....  If I have a choice of Anderson, Levis, or Tyree

I have to go Anderson

If Richardson was there at 4,  I would probably pull the trigger though

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Nope. I just logically think it doesn't make any sense. If that turns out to be the plan, I think it's stupid. simple as that. Just my view. 

Now if the plan is to draft AR or Levis and have them start from day one, then that is different, as the Colts would see something I clearly do not as does most of the so-called experts. 

Just so we are clear, I'm against taking a guy where we would be waiting a year to see if he's able vs. waiting the year anyway and grabbing one who all know is able from the jump.

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It’s interesting because what is really the difference between drafting a project QB and having him sit a year behind Minshew…and just drafting a much more polished QB next year?

I guess they get the benefit of seeing that QB in practice and developing him for a year, so they would have that intel. And of course they are currently in a position that guarantees they get a project QB, as opposed to the unknown of next year’s draft. 

But I just look at the last 19 games this team has played, which included a 1-5-1 record against the lowly AFCS, and how this offseason is and should be unfolding across the league…and I don’t know if I see any other team more positioned to be bad enough to get one of those QBs next year.

With a few forward-thinking moves, that position would only be strengthened…not to mention the cap savings that could be used for a huge push in 2024 and beyond. 

And 1-2 of those teams that might be worse could/should be addressing QB this year, either with one of those project QBs or even Lamar.

Also, Ballard has preached about NOT drafting a QB just to draft one…but instead drafting the “right guy.”

If the right guy was in this draft, then why didn’t they would move up to guarantee they get him? 

Sure, the right guy could still fall to them if the draft falls the right way, but I think that it’s far more likely they are taking whichever project QB is available, which is not dissimilar to taking one just to take one.

I have been a huge proponent of drafting a QB for years, but (other than last year) I was much higher on those QBs than the ones this year, even moreso with Stroud and Young out of the picture. 

And I am much higher on at least Williams and Maye. There could be more that emerge. I think Williams (especially) puts the Colts right back in the arms race in the AFC.

Plus, with the #4 pick, there are all kinds of fun ways to trade back and fill more needs on the roster. 

This would have to assume that Ballard was given a reset. And while I have been critical of Ballard, I am fine with that as long as they set that expectation and are willing to have a true rebuilding year.

But they aren’t really doing that, given the moves made, so I don’t think that is the plan. They traded away Gilmore but retained all other vets. They also spent some money on the DL to strengthen what was a strength last year. And (if all things) they signed a FA K to “big” money. 

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

This draft will have some drama

QB1 and QB2 are probably gone

If we stay put at 4, should see SOMEONE make a move for the 3rd pick (Seattle or Raiders) - To get Richardson

So.....  If I have a choice of Anderson, Levis, or Tyree

I have to go Anderson

If Richardson was there at 4,  I would probably pull the trigger though

Very logical… That could certainly happen. It’s a scenario I painted in another thread a few weeks back, about riding with Minshew in 23. 

I focused this thread on the quarterback position. 

Trading back and accumulating draft capital for 24 is another option. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I didn’t include AR in my plans (A, B, C, D, and E) and I could be wrong. Steichen said he values accuracy in a quarterback, so to me that removes AR at #4.

Plus, I think AR is a perfect fit for Seattle. So I think AR will be gone if we move back. 

I have heard 3 this morning say that they believe Carolina will take Richardson at 1 and is why they are trying to trade back now because it's AR they really want and why they signed Dalton, so he could sit in Carolina.

If this is true, then that would change things greatly as I still think the Texans want young and have all along. So if Stroud falls to the Colts, then that might be a good scenario putting the Ohio state curse aside.

What will be interesting is to see if Ballard trades with AZ in this scenario or just hold tight because I have a feeling teams would trade to 3 if Stroud is still on the board.

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Nope. I just logically think it doesn't make any sense. If that turns out to be the plan, I think it's stupid. simple as that. Just my view. 

Now if the plan is to draft AR or Levis and have them start from day one, then that is different, as the Colts would see something I clearly do not as does most of the so-called experts. 

Just so we are clear, I'm against taking a guy where we would be waiting a year to see if he's able vs. waiting the year anyway and grabbing one who all know is able from the jump.

The issue with your logic is that even the QBs drafted next year would have an issue getting used to NFL speed for a year and would have to take the same lumps like Peyton did during his rookie year. When you see the success of Mahomes and QBs like Carson Palmer after they sat a year, no one is second guessing that.

Plus, the bad assumption you and so many other posters make is that a) the team that has the pick of Caleb Williams or Maye will be willing to deal it to us and b) we would be equally as sucky as this last year where a confluence of so many things (an aging immobile QB behind a declining OL at key spots) happened all at the same time and c) our GM, even if we finish in the 5-10 range with Minshew as a QB, would be willing to overpay to move to No.1 or No.2 and history says no.

A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush, that is how the saying goes.

Archived