Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Minshew - The Mustache is our QB

AustexColt

I know we will probably draft a QB but GM (The Mustache) will be our starter and 2023 QB. Just rewatch the 2020 Jacksonville season and you see a rising star. He never got the recognition that he deserves and he has outplayed all those rookie' #1 picks. He is only 26 yrs old and can make all the throws and mobile. He knows how to protect himself to make himself available. This kid is the real thing. With Shane play calling and a fixed OL we are going to be alright. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I know we will probably draft a QB but GM (The Mustache) will be our starter and 2023 QB. Just rewatch the 2020 Jacksonville season and you see a rising star. He never got the recognition that he deserves and he has outplayed all those rookie' #1 picks. He is only 26 yrs old and can make all the throws and mobile. He knows how to protect himself to make himself available. This kid is the real thing. With Shane play calling and a fixed OL we are going to be alright. 

If Minshew starts all 17 games, then the Colts have had a very bad year UNLESS he shockingly becomes a franchise level QB.   And the two teams that know him best had zero problems moving on from him.   So they don’t think he’s a franchise level QB. 

In a desired season, Minshew starts roughly 6-10 games, maybe even less. And whoever the Colts draft plays the rest of them.  The Colts need to end the 23 season with some idea of what they have with their new young QB and what he needs to improve in the off-season so that he can be the starter in 24. 

There has to be a plan in place to move the franchise forward.   Having Minshew as the starter for the entire season is likely a poor plan.   It might imply the QB they drafted is overwhelmed and not ready.  That would be a bad outcome. 

See the Big Picture.  Build a better long term future.   I don’t think Minshew is it, and I like him.   Always have. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AustexColt said:

We haven’t even reached the draft yet. Not sure we can say with much certainty and confidence that he will be the starter until all the chess pieces are set. It’s going to be a long time, but honestly we aren’t going to get an answer on this until probably August. And as a teacher I don’t want to rush the summer away lol. I’m patient. I can wait. 

7 hours ago, AustexColt said:

honestly I think as a starter he can win 7 maybe 8 games that’s it 

As a backup I think he will be a better option we had in the past few years specially last year in Foles and Sam. As a starter I am not sure how amazing he is or can be? but in 2020 he beat us in Game # 1 only game Jax won that season was against Colts and I remember people saying Minshew looked like HOF against Colts D but he did lose 15 more games that season. So I am not sold on him but again I was excited for Matty ICE last year.

What To Say Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Minshew starts all 17 games, then the Colts have had a very bad year UNLESS he shockingly becomes a franchise level QB.   And the two teams that know him best had zero problems moving on from him.   So they don’t think he’s a franchise level QB. 

In a desired season, Minshew starts roughly 6-10 games, maybe even less. And whoever the Colts draft plays the rest of them.  The Colts need to end the 23 season with some idea of what they have with their new young QB and what he needs to improve in the off-season so that he can be the starter in 24. 

There has to be a plan in place to move the franchise forward.   Having Minshew as the starter for the entire season is likely a poor plan.   It might imply the QB they drafted is overwhelmed and not ready.  That would be a bad outcome. 

See the Big Picture.  Build a better long term future.   I don’t think Minshew is it, and I like him.   Always have. 

Gardners OC (Shane) was pretty quick having Ballard sign him.  Look, I have no clue how Gardner is going to turn out but stranger things has happened.  I do remember him smoking our pretty good defense as a rookie.  He has never really got a legitimate chance with where he was playing. 

7 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

As a backup I think he will be a better option we had in the past few years specially last year in Foles and Sam. As a starter I am not sure how amazing he is or can be? but in 2020 he beat us in Game # 1 only game Jax won that season was against Colts and I remember people saying Minshew looked like HOF against Colts D but he did lose 15 more games that season. So I am not sold on him but again I was excited for Matty ICE last year.

What To Say Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Gardner only started 8 games in 2020.

His career stats:

62.8 completions

44 TD's

15 INT's

207.3 yards per game

93.1 passer rating

I don't know how good or bad he will be, but I think the signing was a good one.  It is possible that he can lead the Colts to challenge for the division title.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

While I mostly agree with this, the two teams that had no problem letting him go have Trevor Lawrence and Jalen Hurts. No wonder they had no problem moving on.. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That scenario sounds like our 2022 season after Matt Ryan didn’t work out. Sam should have had the 2nd half of the season to prove if he has any potential, but Jeff Saturday threw that opportunity away. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Ideally he starts until our new rookie QB is ready, whenever that is.  Hopefully Irsay will have patience at let the coaches develop the rook.  No matter the record.  

But I doubt it.  

I agree.   Gardner could potentially start all 17 games if things are going well.  It'd be nice to let the rookie sit for quite a while.  That would mean the Colts would be in playoff contention.  I'd be good with that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick12Maher said:

While I mostly agree with this, the two teams that had no problem letting him go have Trevor Lawrence and Jalen Hurts. No wonder they had no problem moving on.. 

True….   They have hi-level starters.   But they both had a high level backup — Minshew — and J’Ville traded him away and Philly allowed him to leave as a FA.   I would think if either thought he had good starter potential they’d have tried to keep him.    I mean it’s not like starting QBs don’t get hurt.  

34 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

That scenario sounds like our 2022 season after Matt Ryan didn’t work out. Sam should have had the 2nd half of the season to prove if he has any potential, but Jeff Saturday threw that opportunity away. 

Yes he did.    But the Saturday situation got complicated really fast and things spun out of control.   

What a strange and bizarre season 2022 truly was…..    :giveup:

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Gardner only started 8 games in 2020.

His career stats:

62.8 completions

44 TD's

15 INT's

207.3 yards per game

93.1 passer rating

I don't know how good or bad he will be, but I think the signing was a good one.  It is possible that he can lead the Colts to challenge for the division title.  

He’ll lead the colts to another top 10 pick lol. In terms of talent we are 3rd in the division and have the 3rd best qb at the moment

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.   Gardner could potentially start all 17 games if things are going well.  It'd be nice to let the rookie sit for quite a while.  That would mean the Colts would be in playoff contention.  I'd be good with that.  

I think that’s wishful thinking.  I think Garnder is a Jacoby style backup.  He’s a high end one who can play well in a pinch or even a stretch but after a while his limitations show up and teams figure out how to attack your offense with him and he stops being as good.

• Like 2

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think that’s wishful thinking.  I think Garnder is a Jacoby style backup.  He’s a high end one who can play well in a pinch or even a stretch but after a while his limitations show up and teams figure out how to attack your offense with him and he stops being as good.

100% agree. He will have a streak but that is the most you can expect, a small streak of wins.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree with this, he also is sort of like a Fitzmagic. Streaky good but can also be streaky bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Of course there is wishful thinking in there.  He does have great career stats but it could come tumbling down.

Allot of folks on here wanted the Colts to sign Brissett

Minshew is a big upgrade over Brissett.

Minshew career stats:

62.8 completions

44 TD's

15 INT's

207.3 yards per game

93.1 passer rating

Brisset career stats:

61.1 completions

48 TD's

23 Int's

136.2 yards per game

84.4 passer rating

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't being paid like a starter.   So I'm guessing he knows he is the backup.   

Neither is Purdy but has been named the starter for the 49ers.  I don't think what a player is payed determines it. If Gardner wants to be a starter it's up to him to earn it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Minshew signed with Indy for a low offer because he knows a rookie is coming in and he might be able to steal a year of starter's snaps depending on how ready the rookie is.  From his perspective his hope is that he plays well so he can be a starter somewhere plus cash in.

So for Indy, who only has him on a 1 year deal, there is every reason to start the rookie QB barring that situation where his head is spinning.  Some of these guys that will be the case too.  But there are some who will start immediately if they're the pick.

Translation in all this is Minshew is the fallback option to start.  I like the guy, always have respected his game, but any future with him would be: he plays well this year then you pay him big money then you pray that he can live up to said big money.  Colts don't want that path.  They have been on that path in some ways with these castoff vets they've been trying.  This year that plan is likely to come to an end.

The advantage with a highly drafted rook is you get the high end talent and five years of cheap labor, in comparison to paying a vet QB.  So ideally the QB will be ready after a year or two and you'll get a three year window of potency with him on that rookie deal.  Then you can build around him and take a shot or two at a title if things go well, before you need to pay him out the bejeezus and switch your model.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, AustexColt said:

Young. 

If by miracle we get him, I believe he will be ready on Day 1. 

On 3/29/2023 at 10:28 AM, runthepost said:

He’s between Zach Wilson and Taylor Henike. Either way the team isn’t making the playoffs next year

If we get top play from JT, Nelson, Smith, Pittman, etc with development from Pierce & the TE’s it’s possible. 

Almost 40% of teams are new playoff teams each year. Wild stat but has rang true for a long time 

On 3/28/2023 at 4:28 PM, AustexColt said:

He is an upgrade over an inconsistent Wentz and an aging Ryan for sure but Ballard has to start adding impactful players .

• Haha 1

If we have an elite draft, Minshew could get us to the playoffs. The QB play was dreadful last year, and Minshew is a good QB IMO. I'm still not fully convinced we are taking a QB at 4, or even picking at 4, so Minshew could start right away, especially if we draft Hooker or someone like Jaren Hall later in the draft.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:28 AM, runthepost said:

He’s between Zach Wilson and Taylor Henike. Either way the team isn’t making the playoffs next year

Maybe, but are we that far behind JAX?  The Titans seem to be in rebuild, and the Texans are in build mode.

On 4/3/2023 at 8:11 AM, Smonroe said:

Maybe, but are we that far behind JAX?  The Titans seem to be in rebuild, and the Texans are in build mode.

Jags have the best QB in the division so yes. Titans have the best all around roster in the division 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 4:17 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Neither is Purdy but has been named the starter for the 49ers.  I don't think what a player is payed determines it. If Gardner wants to be a starter it's up to him to earn it. 

umm last time i checked Trey Lance is getting the start this year over Purdy 

16 hours ago, runthepost said:

Jags have the best QB in the division so yes. Titans have the best all around roster in the division 

I wouldn’t bet a dollar that the Titans have the best roster in the division.   I think that’s a no better than a maybe.   I don’t know how you came to that conclusion and it’s not what I’m reading and hearing.