Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How can you trust Ballard?

mirobi48

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Is he the same age as Hooker or a year older? I would not mind my team drafting him on Day 3. 

He is a winner. But he is also a wildcard. On one hand, I want to respect him. On the other hand, I wonder what the hell he is thinking sometimes. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

When he tells everyone they weren't ready to move up because they hadn't done their due diligence on the QBs and hats off to Carolina. 

Don't the Colts have one of the better scouting departments? They should have known all about these top 4 QBs

And It is not like no one in the Colts organization didn't know we need a QB

Especially after the Wentz fiasco 

Something is not right

How do I trust him? He knows more than anyone on this forum, especially you

54 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He is a winner. But he is also a wildcard. On one hand, I want to respect him. On the other hand, I wonder what the hell he is thinking sometimes. 

I like winners. I read he comes from a football family. He will get drafted. Like Hooker, he is 25.

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Once you get to know me then you’ll understand the answer to that question. 

It’s rather simple. 

For the record though, what makes you think I haven’t?

I would call it arrogant when you suggest you are better and have been for 40 years. 

56 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would call it arrogant when you suggest you are better and have been for 40 years. 

For the record, I was defending my record, and I can back it up. Many on these Colts boards have seen it. I have a high hit rate, and it’s a fact. 

• NFLfan locked this topic
  • NFLfan unlocked this topic

I don't trust Ballard personally, at least not with the QB situation. IMO, the only way Ballard can be right here is if all 4 QBs hit, or if all 4 QBs bust, and those are the two extremes. If it's the former, he'll look like a genius. If it's the latter, then he looks even worse for taking the 4th QB when they all bust (the only upside is we wouldn't have given up draft capital to move up). 

It looks like an attempt to save draft capital more than anything, and I don't really buy the "4 QBs are the same" schtick. I just think that's an excuse to save draft picks. I think Ballard has them ranked in a specific order and has preferences, he just doesn't want to admit that or there will be pressure from fans, the media, and possibly Jim Irsay to trade up and get his top guy.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@Dunk How's it going? :)

How do you like Ballard's decision not to trade up? 

Hi NFLfan

Like several other posters, I am glad we didn't. I don't think any of the choices are slam dunk franchise guys, so I'm glad we didn't give a kings ransom to move up. 

Either, they feel the top 3 or 4 are pretty much equal in potential, or they have someone else targeted that they are sure won't get picked with the top 3 picks.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You're making this assumption based on nothing.    You may be right  but you have zero to base it on.  You always have some bizarre scenarios.    These are the facts.  He could have traded up.  Maybe he tried to and carolina offered more.   It's possible.   He could trade up to 3 and hope his guy is there.   Or. He doesn't think any of the qbs this year are great.   He will sit at 4 and see what happens.   

Advice:  Never say "these are facts" and then use the words "could have" and "maybe" a lot in the rest of your post.  It looks like you are looking for a reason to criticize someone's post because of personal bitterness and not really because of their post.

Exactly what facts do we have about why CAR traded up and IND is still at 4?  Of course the assumptions are speculation at this point.

You and @NFLfan seem to be holding me up to a standard that is unreasonable, like we can only talk about facts now?

Is it personal?

2 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Hi NFLfan

Like several other posters, I am glad we didn't. I don't think any of the choices are slam dunk franchise guys, so I'm glad we didn't give a kings ransom to move up. 

Either, they feel the top 3 or 4 are pretty much equal in potential, or they have someone else targeted that they are sure won't get picked with the top 3 picks.

I agree 100%. Let your QB fall to you. I read that my team might trade up for a QB. That would be a terrible move. :scorebad:

I like the Ballard way. 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

How do I trust him? He knows more than anyone on this forum, especially you

This is definitely not a reason to trust Ballard. If 31 members of this forum were the other 31 GMs of the other 31 teams, you'd have a point. Unfortunately, Ballard is competing against 31 other GMs that know what they are doing, and most have better team-building philosophies than Ballard (which is why it took 4 years to finally draft a franchise QB after Luck retired). Ballard is a losing GM even as a good drafter, which shows that his veteran QB route didn't work out for the most part, and his focus on O-Line/D-Line in the draft was outdated. We have also paid some of the least important positions to long-term deals. 

Ballard is on thin ice, and this draft will determine whether he survives as a GM. Being better than anyone on this forum still makes him a losing GM with no division titles and 1 playoff win heading into his 7th year.

10 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

When he tells everyone they weren't ready to move up because they hadn't done their due diligence on the QBs and hats off to Carolina. 

Don't the Colts have one of the better scouting departments? They should have known all about these top 4 QBs

Something is not right

U r forgetting one important piece or 2 lol. Tepper wants his qb at all costs. I truly believe the FO was told to go get the qb at all costs. Secondly, the team hasn't even had these guys in to meet them one on one. I am not Ballard's biggest fan but I agree with him on this one.

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Chris Ballard is a top level GM. If the Colts fired him, he would be hired immediately to run another team. 

Everything has context, and should be included in the thought process. When Ballard came here, he had to make it about the team. Andrew Luck’s status was all over the place. The goal is to sell tickets too. 

That mindset was not wrong, but he had to put some shade on how important the QB is to a team. He built the team in the trenches, and learned that building a football team is a lot more than that. 

The lessons Ballard has learned over the last several years, cannot be taught. A person has to experience them. It’s all made him a better GM. 

Fans are going to hammer Ballard for everything he does wrong. It’s what fans do. It’s natural. 

The bottom line is, it would take years to build a GM to the caliber of Ballard. 

Another thing, and I’ve pointed this out many times (although it has mostly fallen on deaf ears), is that Jim Irsay sees himself as a mentor to Chris Ballard. It was different with Bill Tobin and Bill Polian. Tobin and Polian taught Jim Irsay how to build a successful football team. This naturally gives Chris Ballard a much longer leash. 

Which is why I said we would not fire Ballard when many thought we would months ago. I could read it all over Jim. I’ve been a fan of this team for 40 years, and know how to read him. I probably had 2 or 3 people agree with me. The rest of you went nuts on me. It is what it is. 

Including playoffs, he has a below 500 record. If he was to get fired at the end of the year, I  could easily assume that his overall record will be well below 500. That is not the record of a top flight GM. Name me the last GM to get fired  and then get hired immediately. It's not like coaching. Once a GM has been fired, they go back to the bottom. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

That may be true now.  I think OP was questioning if Ballard thought that at the time CAR traded up.  If he didn't know that at the time, then he's gotten lucky that his analysis has resulted in no clear front runner.

Other things go into that stat.  I think the tape shows clearly that Stroud has the best ball placement...backed up at the combine and pro-day.

I don't think Levi is the guy the more I watch. He has no touch and almost 25 years old and if he doesn't got it now, I think it is a lost cause. He just seems so rigid and tense when he throws. Richardson with all that All World talent couldn't drag that team to a better record. People will say he had no one. My counter to that is that he maybe the most physically gifted college qb ever and he was average. Vick and Newton were able to over come and excel. Richardson was a man amongst boys but didn't play like  it. I still think the Colts r going to throw a curve ball.

We’re a QB, Center, OG, another speedy wideout and good CB short of fighting for the division. Let us see where we are after the draft and any last minute pickups. 

Maybe the Center is not as big a concern if Pinter can be consistent. I remember Grigson drafting the likes of Fleener, Allen and Hilton for Luck but also signing a lot of vets on the DL like Cory Redding etc., so I still don’t get the Gilmore trade if they wanted a quick turnaround.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't think Levi is the guy the more I watch. He has no touch and almost 25 years old and if he doesn't got it now, I think it is a lost cause. He just seems so rigid and tense when he throws. Richardson with all that All World talent couldn't drag that team to a better record. People will say he had no one. My counter to that is that he maybe the most physically gifted college qb ever and he was average. Vick and Newton were able to over come and excel. Richardson was a man amongst boys but didn't play like  it. I still think the Colts r going to throw a curve ball.

For the record….  Will Levis is 23.   Doesn’t turn 24 until late June.   So he’ll be 24 his entire rookie year.    He’s still young enough to have an 8-12 year career. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

For the record….  Will Levis is 23.   Doesn’t turn 24 until late June.   So he’ll be 24 his entire rookie year.    He’s still young enough to have an 8-12 year career. 

My bad, but I think he kind of is who he is. I just think he lacks any kind of touch. I think that is a hard one to develop since he wants to throw the  ball thru a wall every time he throws. I really think he feels he constantly has to show everyone how  powerful of an arm he has. I get it. It's a hell of an arm, but man, he lacks touch. I think he and Richardson will fall past the Colts.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We’re a QB, Center, OG, another speedy wideout and good CB short of fighting for the division. Let us see where we are after the draft and any last minute pickups. 

Maybe the Center is not as big a concern if Pinter can be consistent. I remember Grigson drafting the likes of Fleener, Allen and Hilton for Luck but also signing a lot of vets on the DL like Cory Redding etc., so I still don’t get the Gilmore trade if they wanted a quick turnaround.

I don’t think they expect a quick turnaround.  I think Irsay know it’s going to take a little with a rookie QB which is why he said he needs to see progress, not a playoff team.  Since Gilmore was in the last year of his contract and they could use that cap space and draft pick to help improve the roster for beyond this season is why they were willing to trade Gilmore.

Also for better or worse they said Kelly will be back so he’s going to be the center.  

I don’t get these Eason - Levis comparisons. Eason was a 4th rounder, and was projected to be mid round. He had issues and questions about his work ethic. 

Has there been any reports of Will having work ethic issues? Everything I’ve heard has made it sound like he’s obsessed with football, very intelligent and willing to learn. 

All too often we get caught up comparing QBs and asking if they’re the next Allen/Mahomes or Manziel/Rosen…

Scout the individual first and foremost. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I don’t get these Eason - Levis comparisons. Eason was a 4th rounder, and was projected to be mid round. He had issues and questions about his work ethic. 

Has there been any reports of Will having work ethic issues? Everything I’ve heard has made it sound like he’s obsessed with football, very intelligent and willing to learn. 

I think people just go strong arm and are comparing them both based on that.  Frankly on here I’ve seen him compared to Luck to Eason to George.  I think it’s just tendency for us to try to compare guys to QBs we know and clearly we know Colts QBs the most 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

My bad, but I think he kind of is who he is. I just think he lacks any kind of touch. I think that is a hard one to develop since he wants to throw the  ball thru a wall every time he throws. I really think he feels he constantly has to show everyone how  powerful of an arm he has. I get it. It's a hell of an arm, but man, he lacks touch. I think he and Richardson will fall past the Colts.

You may be 100 percent right.   Maybe. 

But I don’t subscribe to the view for any rookie quarterback that they are who they are.    Name the quarterback and odds are high they got better over the course of their career.    Rookie quarterbacks are not finished products.  They can and do get better if given the right support.   The only question is how much better.  

Obviously, this is not a 100 percent view.  Guys like Jamarcus Russell or Jeff George are examples against.   But most QBs can get better.   I don’t see a reason to think Levis can’t improve.    The only question would be….    How much? 

And my answer for the Colts this year and beyond is….   Shane Steichen.   I’ll trust his judgement until he gives me enough reason not to.  

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

For the record, I was defending my record, and I can back it up. Many on these Colts boards have seen it. I have a high hit rate, and it’s a fact. 

No one cares how much you or anyone else has been right.  No one is keeping score.  This place is about sharing thoughts and opinions not about proving how smart someone is by being right.  If anything bragging about how right you are makes people value your opinion less around here because no one likes having someone try to rub something in their face.  

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

No one cares how much you or anyone else has been right.  No one is keeping score.  This place is about sharing thoughts and opinions not about proving how smart someone is by being right.  If anything bragging about how right you are makes people value your opinion less around here because no one likes having someone try to rub something in their face.  

I say this with a calm voice... I don’t care what you or anyone thinks. :)

A lot of times, I throw my ideas on this board… It could be anything. And I get a few bites, where people like it. However, going against the grain can get a person a lot of hate. Yeah, people will hate a person for having a different perspective, even if it’s the right perspective. The group think on this board is thick. 

When that happens, this board can rain down on a person. Most people can’t handle that. I can. Because I really don’t care what anyone thinks. 

And it never fails. The same people who hated me for having a different perspective, also hate me for being right. 

That’s not a Me problem. Therefore, I don’t care. 

10 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I get that you would care if another team hired him. 

But the same thing happened with Reich. And it doesn’t mean it wasn’t time to make a change at HC.

I think you have this backwards. It didn’t take years to build up Ballard…it took years to tear him (and his roster building philosophy) down. 

Now he has to basically adapt and build a new team around a young, unproven QB, which is not the job he wasn’t originally hired to do.  There isn’t even any track record of him being part of orgs that did this while he was there. 

Beyond one draft, 5 years ago, there also isn’t really much to support the claim that Ballard is a top level GM (assuming top level would be top 10). 

And the excuses are weak. Even setting aside QB, Ballard has had every resource a GM could need to build a team. And the Colts just won 4 games in his 6th year as GM.

Mic drop

But the same thing happened with Reich. And it doesn’t mean it wasn’t time to make a change at HC.

I think you have this backwards. It didn’t take years to build up Ballard…it took years to tear him (and his roster building philosophy) down. 

Now he has to basically adapt and build a new team around a young, unproven QB, which is not the job he wasn’t originally hired to do.  There isn’t even any track record of him being part of orgs that did this while he was there. 

Beyond one draft, 5 years ago, there also isn’t really much to support the claim that Ballard is a top level GM (assuming top level would be top 10). 

And the excuses are weak. Even setting aside QB, Ballard has had every resource a GM could need to build a team. And the Colts just won 4 games in his 6th year as GM.

This team has a lot of talent. I know it’s not popular around here to acknowledge that. However, Chris Ballard has built a nice roster.

Sounds to me like you could have been one of those Eagles fans screaming for Howie Roseman to be staked in the Center City a couple of years back. 

There is a high probability that Chris Ballard is going to take the Colts back to the top. Jim Irsay believes that too. 

I believe Chris Ballard will be successful somewhere in the NFL. It might as well be here, where he cut his teeth. 

Never forget that the Browns/Ravens let Bill Belichick get away. He was 43 years old. Chris Ballard is 53; relatively young for someone to have so much experience. 

Starting over; it guts an organization from head to toe. 

I think this is a mostly good post that I mostly agree with.   But there was one sentence near the end that I think you tripped up on.  

Ballard has had most resources?   Really? 

The Colts are a small market team, so having money to take a more aggressive approach to roster building isn’t a resource that he’s had.   

Now, it’s fair if you say he knew what he was getting into when he joined the Colts.   I’m only saying that as one of the smaller market teams Ballard’s financial resources are more limited than other franchises.  

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think this is a mostly good post that I mostly agree with.   But there was one sentence near the end that I think you tripped up on.  

Ballard has had most resources?   Really? 

The Colts are a small market team, so having money to take a more aggressive approach to roster building isn’t a resource that he’s had.   

Now, it’s fair if you say he knew what he was getting into when he joined the Colts.   I’m only saying that as one of the smaller market teams Ballard’s financial resources are more limited than other franchises.  

It is actually much deeper than that. The same people who said Ballard’s record in his first season should not be held against him, well, they are now holding it against him. 

I argued at the time, that he owned the 2017 record. And that’s the mentality I liked about him. I took a lot of heat for that. This was still the Chris Ballard honeymoon phase for most Colts fans. The fan base showed extreme protection, and most people defended Ballard. I was just calling it what it was. Stating that 2017 would go down in history as a 4-12 record, that Ballard would own. And that any self respecting person would own that record. 

It could be an exaggeration on my part, but it felt like 95% of the board was against me for stating the obvious. Chris Ballard went 4-12 in his first season. It’s interesting how so many Colts fans have changed the tune from defending Ballard in 2017 to now turning on him in 2023, and using the 2017 record against him. Just like back then, I said many would in the future. 

It’s the collective context that we need to look at. Everything can be explained as to how we got where we are. Ballard gets it too. He knows it was a mistake to let Fisher and Glowinski get away. He has publicly owned that. 

But all of this lead us to where we are. Ballard’s biggest mistake was to hire Josh McDaniels, and he paid a huge price for it. It forced us to go into a scramble mode and hire Frank Reich. Which was the right PR move, and helped tighten the ship. But it wasn’t the best long-term solution. 

The problem is that even though Ballard is a quality GM and Reich is a quality head coach… They did not share the same vision of how to build an NFL team. It was not a perfect match. Not from a philosophical point. 

The wrong move is to blow everything up. To Jim Irsay’s credit, he acknowledged that. And he did everything he could to keep this team together. Starting over is devastating to an NFL franchise. There was no need for us to do that. 

17 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

You actually think they haven't done their due diligence on the QBs? You believe that? I don't. I think it's Ballards nice way of saying, none are good enough to move to #1 for.

18 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

Something is not right

Honestly, I feel like he was quite straight forward on his response, between getting their offense hired and working with Steichen and the QB coach evaluating the QBs in this draft they were not at a point to make the trade to move up to number 1.

"Didn't want to make a blind decision without all the information," Ballard said. "I know for people, they might not understand that. But I think history kind of tells you that when you do that, you better know what you're getting. And we weren't quite ready to do that at that time. And then we feel like there's enough depth in the draft that we were gonna be okay."

It's a classic Ballard move to not panic and trade up without having a solid feeling that they had there guy. The Bears wanted to trade the pick early in the process because it would be easier to drive up the price when there isn't a clear number 1 QB, and didn't want the market to cool after teams had their visits with each QB and really got to know them. While the teams do have all the tape and get information from third parties they don't get much time with the prospects until they can get a visit and spend several hours with them. That's why you see the Panthers bringing everyone to each pro day and having dinner with each QB because when they made the trade they weren't sure who they wanted. They just knew they wanted the first pick of the 4.

16 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I disagree. I posted this in another thread, but it works here too. 

I think Young and Stroud come off the board at 1 and 2. Young could be the next Drew Brees or he could be the next Murray. Stroud has all the tools, but why would he say that he admires Vick and Watson? Has he been oblivious to everything? As a GM, that would concern the hell out of me. 

That leaves Levis, Hooker, and Richardson. 

Hooker is the most polished of the 3, and I really like his pocket mobility. There are times when he doesn’t see the rush, but it’s a similar issue I noticed early with Aaron Rodgers, and he can overcame it. Hooker can be very accurate, but he lacks anticipation. Has a strong enough arm, and wheels. While it is not an exact carbon copy, I see a lot of Daniel Jones in Hooker. And he will have the same hurdles in the NFL. But the potential is there. 

Levis has a huge upside. Strong arm and mobile enough. He is very cocky though. It might be hard to teach this guy how to leave his ego at the door of the quarterback room. Guys like this tend to have leadership issues. People can overcome this, but they normally don’t. If he can then his upside is similar to Josh Allen. 

Richardson is very raw, and he is one of the most inaccurate quarterbacks I’ve ever seen mentioned as a top 5 pick. He is an athletic freak. One rule to always remember is, you are either born with accuracy or you’re not. This is not something people usually improve drastically with. I think he is going to struggle in the NFL, and it’s all going to be linked to his ability to put the football in the right place. 

If Levis is off the board, then I’m taking BPA or bouncing out of that 4th pick. And there would need to be some very good interviews with Levis, to convince me that he is the guy. 

I would most likely either make a path to get Hooker, or arrange a deal for Lamar. And if all else fails, I’d be okay to ride with Minshew in 23. 

You just wrote basically what I said.  All the top QB's in this years draft are a hit or miss. It all depends who they go play for and how that coaching staff builds around them. 

Pretty simple..

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Could be.  I don't see Ballard signing Ekuban for that money and term to play RDE and then use pick 4 capital to pick Anderson.  I don't see him using pick 4 capital on niche QBs like Young or AR either...after all LJ was a late first rounder and Hurts and second.  So that leaves a trade down and drafting a "lesser" QB.  I guess they like what they see from Jaren Hall. 

And playing with Minshew, Sam, and Hall is fine with me, because I just throw all of those short mobile QBs like LJ, Hurts, Minshew, Sam, Young, Bennett, etc. into the same bucket of marginal usefulness. 

So yeah, if Ballard is going that route, I'd say use the 4th round capital and vet minimum contracts it takes to get that skill set instead of pick 4 or $130M of guaranteed money.

Stroud and Levis are the only QB options for NFL this draft, IMO, and Stroud will be gone by pick 4....and maybe Levis too. 

I like Hooker too.  But you have to forget about his athleticism, its not good enough for the NFL for him to be considered a dual threat QB...and that's fine...because I hate dual threat QBs.  I don't know how he shakes out as a pocket passer like Stroud, but he's an option as well as a low first or second rounder...sort of an under the radar pick. 

1 hour ago, tfunky14 said:

You just wrote basically what I said.  All the top QB's in this years draft are a hit or miss. It all depends who they go play for and how that coaching staff builds around them. 

Pretty simple..

No. You said the top 4 were pretty much all the same. While I agree they each have their own concerns, I believe the risks are vastly different. 

18 hours ago, El Potro said:

This just makes me laugh. That's just your opinion. There's nothing factual behind people saying he's all ego. It's a ridiculous statement tbh. 

Will everyone has an opinion. Sounds like you like Levis which is fine. I can have the same logic you have though and say it makes me laugh when people say Bryce Young won't be a good PRO because of his size. That is just an opinion which makes me laugh by the way and nothing factual about it :thmup:

37 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

No. You said the top 4 were pretty much all the same. While I agree they each have their own concerns, I believe the risks are vastly different. 

I personally don't think any of the top 4 are the same. Especially Young, he is different from any of them just because of size alone. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I personally don't think any of the top 4 are the same. Especially Young, he is different from any of them just because of size alone. 

I agree. And that’s the point I made to the person I replied to. 

Archived