Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How can you trust Ballard?

mirobi48

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

It’s my observation. And I have an outstanding track record over the past 40 years of being right on these things. 

You, BlueShoe, have the massive ego. 

If you were truly consistently right over a 40 year track record, then why in the world would you have not been a GM or at the very least been working somewhere in the NFL instead of being on this fan forum?? 

Rhetorical question, because we know the answer. 

You are entitled to your opinion and I don't want to belittle you or anyone, I'm not trying to be offensive but what you just stated is asinine. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, El Potro said:

why in the world would you have not been a GM or at the very least been working somewhere in the NFL

Once you get to know me then you’ll understand the answer to that question. 

It’s rather simple. 

For the record though, what makes you think I haven’t?

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That may be true now.  I think OP was questioning if Ballard thought that at the time CAR traded up.  If he didn't know that at the time, then he's gotten lucky that his analysis has resulted in no clear front runner.

Other things go into that stat.  I think the tape shows clearly that Stroud has the best ball placement...backed up at the combine and pro-day.

Would you agree that QBR is a much more useful grade than completion percentage?

10 minutes ago, El Potro said:

You, BlueShoe, have the massive ego. 

If you were truly consistently right over a 40 year track record, then why in the world would you have not been a GM or at the very least been working somewhere in the NFL instead of being on this fan forum?? 

Rhetorical question, because we know the answer. 

You are entitled to your opinion and I don't want to belittle you or anyone, I'm not trying to be offensive but what you just stated is asinine. 

You are attacking the writer rather than his argument. None of what you wrote here explains why your viewpoint is right and his is wrong. 

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I feel like staying put was the right choice for the Colts and moving up was the right choice for the Panthers. We will get one of the top 4 QBs and Ballard and his guys feel like none of the top 4 are significantly better than the rest. The Panthers were completely out of the race for one of the top 4, so they made a move that let's them control the situation. I'd probably have tried moving to 3 instead of 1, but maybe they did and the Cardinals turned it down.

I agree - staying put was the right choice for the Colts.

I've noticed that several "mocking drafts" are suddenly indicating the Colts selecting a defensive player with the #4 pick.

Hmmmm - I have no trust in those predictions - though we're a long long way from draft weekend.

3 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

I agree - staying put was the right choice for the Colts.

I've noticed that several "mocking drafts" are suddenly indicating the Colts selecting a defensive player with the #4 pick.

Hmmmm - I have no trust in those predictions - though we're a long long way from draft weekend.

I think some of these experts are biting hard on the rumours we’re looking at Lamar. I doubt it. I don’t think Ballard wants to give him the kind of contract he wants and I don’t think Irsay wants to give up two 1sts to get him. 

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think some of these experts are biting hard on the rumours we’re looking at Lamar. I doubt it. I don’t think Ballard wants to give him the kind of contract he wants and I don’t think Irsay wants to give up two 1sts to get him. 

The contract thing would be tough to get around. I think Irsay wants a quarterback on the rookie pay scale. 

However the two number 1’s would be easy. We could move back a couple of times and get a couple extra 1’s and then some. 

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I concur.

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

They are trying to make a story.  I saw a headline on ESPN today that said “Ballard confirms the Colts interest in Jackson”. He didn’t do that at all.  He just said they wouldn’t close the door on him and would do their home work on him like they would any other great player that’s available.  Everyone knows that’s GM speak for we aren’t interested but we can’t say that incase something unexpected happens.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

They are trying to make a story.  I saw a headline on ESPN today that said “Ballard confirms the Colts interest in Jackson”. He didn’t do that at all.  He just said they wouldn’t close the door on him and would do their home work on him like they would any other great player that’s available.  Everyone knows that’s GM speak for we aren’t interested but we can’t say that incase something unexpected happens.  

Normally I would agree with you on that…

But Ballard said something like, and I am paraphrasing here… “I’m not going to get into where we are at on that.”

Sounds to me like they are talking to Baltimore. Now how serious the discussion is, we’ll that is up for debate. But we know they are talking. 

I would think the only way the Colts make a move for Lamar is if they can have an out in a few years, and also the Colts would want to move back and give up a less. 

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

The contract thing would be tough to get around. I think Irsay wants a quarterback on the rookie pay scale. 

However the two number 1’s would be easy. We could move back a couple of times and get a couple extra 1’s and then some. 

I don’t know how the tag works. Can the Ravens decline the draft pick compensation? I’d think they would be more inclined to accept it if one of them were the 4th overall pick. 

Just now, Solid84 said:

I don’t know how the tag works. Can the Ravens decline the draft pick compensation? I’d think they would be more inclined to accept it if one of them were the 4th overall pick. 

They can match our offer. 

Which means if the Colts wait until the draft is over then they better be willing to ride with Minshew in 23. It would be one of my backup plans anyway though. 

42 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Once you get to know me then you’ll understand the answer to that question. 

It’s rather simple. 

For the record though, what makes you think I haven’t?

Your attitude towards reading/judging people would have to be my main guess. 

Unless you're Bill Polian incognito, I don't think you worked in the league. That is presumptuous of me though. 

1 minute ago, El Potro said:

Your attitude towards reading/judging people would have to be my main guess. 

Unless you're Bill Polian incognito, I don't think you worked in the league. That is presumptuous of me though. 

One of the most important aspects of scouting, is understanding the person. What drives him? What will he do after he gets the money? What’s his work ethic? What kind of company does he keep? Does he make good decisions off the field. Does he love football? Is he obsessed with football?

Talent evaluation means nothing, if you don’t know the answers to those questions. 

33 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You are attacking the writer rather than his argument. None of what you wrote here explains why your viewpoint is right and his is wrong. 

Ok. Legit question then.

How would one go about proving a non-factual statement? There's is nothing to show/prove to make either argument true. It's mere opinion to think a person that made a factual statement has an ego. 

Is it ego if Stroud says he's tall? Or if Young says he's a good QB? Or Richardson saying he's fast? Because all of those are factual statements, just like Levis saying he has a rocket arm. 

Also, stating that you are right and have been for 40 years is ego. A massive one at that. 

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

One of the most important aspects of scouting, is understanding the person. What drives him? What will he do after he gets the money? What’s his work ethic? What kind of company does he keep? Does he make good decisions off the field. Does he love football? Is he obsessed with football?

Talent evaluation means nothing, if you don’t know the answers to those questions. 

Well tbh fair, that's obvious.

Everything, and I mean everything, I've heard about Levis has been stellar. The only knock is his weirdo mayo obsession. He's a coach's kid apparently, lives for football and supposedly everyone at UK loves/likes him. The only thing people can knock him for is him factually stating that he has a rocket arm. If that's ego, some of y'all got so self reflection to do. 

And tbh, I haven't heard a single negative thing about any of the other top 4 QBs either aside from Young being small (not something he can change) and Richardson having a bad completion rating. 

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Would you agree that QBR is a much more useful grade than completion percentage?

The QBR is a total rating where completion percentage is a component of a Passer rating.   So it depends upon how much value you put into the running component of the QBR.  I don't value it.  I value the traditional passer rating.

The QBR was originally a made up rating by ESPN (it was called ESPN QBR), who wanted to introduce things like rushing yards and rushing TDs to elevate QBs like Donovon McNabb into elite status, because they got tired of carrying his water without him ever having the passer rating to support it.   

IMO its still a passing league, so guys like Mahomes and Allen have high QBRs because they pass and run well, but its their passing that wins them football games.  Allen became a good QB when his passing improved.

So, I prefer Passer Rating over QBR.  Not really the answer to your question

And to understand how things have moved to modern standards...that miss the point by a huge margin..., I don't think any body knows the top 4 college QBs Passer Ratings.  LOL.

12 minutes ago, El Potro said:

Well tbh fair, that's obvious.

Everything, and I mean everything, I've heard about Levis has been stellar. The only knock is his weirdo mayo obsession. He's a coach's kid apparently, lives for football and supposedly everyone at UK loves/likes him. The only thing people can knock him for is him factually stating that he has a rocket arm. If that's ego, some of y'all got so self reflection to do. 

And tbh, I haven't heard a single negative thing about any of the other top 4 QBs either aside from Young being small (not something he can change) and Richardson having a bad completion rating. 

Bennett’s arm is just as strong. It’s only one aspect of a QBs game. I did find it funny how Levis bragged about his arm strength, and then Bennett quietly showed him up. 

You know we had a QB around here a while that reminds me of the what the floor is for Levis. Real strong arm too. A rocket! He got beat out by a noodled arm rookie from Texas. 

The scary thing is, Eason and Levis don’t only share a strong arm. They have very similar personalities too. 

That is the challenge for Levis. Don’t be like Jacob Eason. 

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

You actually think they haven't done their due diligence on the QBs? You believe that? I don't. I think it's Ballards nice way of saying, none are good enough to move to #1 for.

thread should be over after this reply. 

basically explains it perfect

15 minutes ago, El Potro said:

The only knock is his weirdo mayo obsession.

That's another social media ignorant narrative.  If you listened to him explain it, he was at a diner with his girlfriend ordering breakfast, and there was no cream at the table but there was mayo.  She suggested he put mayo in his coffee, so he did.

Its like that eating bananas with the peel still intact.  He just kinda went with the flow and didn't spend the energy to try to correct a social media viral tornado.  Maybe even encouraged it.....LOL

Not that its a defense. Its just probably not what it seems.

12 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Bennett’s arm is just as strong. It’s only one aspect of a QBs game. I did find it funny how Levis bragged about his arm strength, and then Bennett quietly showed him up. 

You know we had a QB around here a while that reminds me of the what the floor is for Levis. Real strong arm too. A rocket! He got beat out by a noodled arm rookie from Texas. 

The scary thing is, Eason and Levis don’t only share a strong arm. They have very similar personalities too. 

That is the challenge for Levis. Don’t be like Jacob Eason. 

You are not the first person here to worry that Levis reminded them of Jacob Eason. It is a scary comparison lot of us are wary about. But Eason was more traits while Levis has traits and production, so I am thinking (hoping) the comparisons end there with the big arm and personality.

Confidence and arrogance, the margin lines are always thin. If we go the Levis route, I hope that is all well vetted out.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

That may be true now.  I think OP was questioning if Ballard thought that at the time CAR traded up.  If he didn't know that at the time, then he's gotten lucky that his analysis has resulted in no clear front runner.

Other things go into that stat.  I think the tape shows clearly that Stroud has the best ball placement...backed up at the combine and pro-day.

This is not a question.   This is a billion dollar industry.    These qbs have been being evaluated for years.   They know everything about them the year before they are eligible.   They certainly get their evaluations wrong,  but the leg work has been done.    Ballard knew everything he needed to know months ago.   As did every other GM.  You're a smart guy,  you know this

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Chris Ballard is a top level GM. If the Colts fired him, he would be hired immediately to run another team. 

Everything has context, and should be included in the thought process. When Ballard came here, he had to make it about the team. Andrew Luck’s status was all over the place. The goal is to sell tickets too. 

That mindset was not wrong, but he had to put some shade on how important the QB is to a team. He built the team in the trenches, and learned that building a football team is a lot more than that. 

The lessons Ballard has learned over the last several years, cannot be taught. A person has to experience them. It’s all made him a better GM. 

Fans are going to hammer Ballard for everything he does wrong. It’s what fans do. It’s natural. 

The bottom line is, it would take years to build a GM to the caliber of Ballard. 

Another thing, and I’ve pointed this out many times (although it has mostly fallen on deaf ears), is that Jim Irsay sees himself as a mentor to Chris Ballard. It was different with Bill Tobin and Bill Polian. Tobin and Polian taught Jim Irsay how to build a successful football team. This naturally gives Chris Ballard a much longer leash. 

Which is why I said we would not fire Ballard when many thought we would months ago. I could read it all over Jim. I’ve been a fan of this team for 40 years, and know how to read him. I probably had 2 or 3 people agree with me. The rest of you went nuts on me. It is what it is. 

I could buy this narrative if there was evidence that Ballard is learning these massive lessons and blossoming into a top-tier GM. But he’s 9-8 and 4-12 with no playoffs the past two years. Still no long term answer at QB. He has an odd way of showing how much he’s learned and how elite he is. His record is what it is — sub .500. The Luck excuse is beyond tired. Still, he’s getting a second shot at building this franchise with a new coach and presumably a new rookie QB (but as I’ve said, don’t be shocked if he kicks the QB can down the road again) so I hope he proves he’s as good as some think he is, as we enter year 7 of his master plan. 

Chris Ballard is a top level GM. If the Colts fired him, he would be hired immediately to run another team. 

Everything has context, and should be included in the thought process. When Ballard came here, he had to make it about the team. Andrew Luck’s status was all over the place. The goal is to sell tickets too. 

That mindset was not wrong, but he had to put some shade on how important the QB is to a team. He built the team in the trenches, and learned that building a football team is a lot more than that. 

The lessons Ballard has learned over the last several years, cannot be taught. A person has to experience them. It’s all made him a better GM. 

Fans are going to hammer Ballard for everything he does wrong. It’s what fans do. It’s natural. 

The bottom line is, it would take years to build a GM to the caliber of Ballard. 

Another thing, and I’ve pointed this out many times (although it has mostly fallen on deaf ears), is that Jim Irsay sees himself as a mentor to Chris Ballard. It was different with Bill Tobin and Bill Polian. Tobin and Polian taught Jim Irsay how to build a successful football team. This naturally gives Chris Ballard a much longer leash. 

Which is why I said we would not fire Ballard when many thought we would months ago. I could read it all over Jim. I’ve been a fan of this team for 40 years, and know how to read him. I probably had 2 or 3 people agree with me. The rest of you went nuts on me. It is what it is. 

I could

Which is why I said we would not fire Ballard when many thought we would months ago. I could read it all over Jim. I’ve been a fan of this team for 40 years, and know how to read him. I probably had 2 or 3 people agree with me. The rest of you went nuts on me. It is what it 

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This is not a question.   This is a billion dollar industry.    These qbs have been being evaluated for years.   They know everything about them the year before they are eligible.   They certainly get their evaluations wrong,  but the leg work has been done.    Ballard knew everything he needed to know months ago.   As did every other GM.  You're a smart guy,  you know this

I agree, generally.   I don't' think this is as much about a QB evaluation as it is a draft evaluation, and he knows what teams covet which players.   If he covets the same QB as CAR and HOU, he's screwed.  He doesn't, so he has no need to move up.

But  I don't believe that Ballard is looking at Levis, Young, and Richardson like they are equal and will simply take which ever one is there.  I mean, they are three of the most disparate talented and body typed QBs to be ranked so close together.  Even Herbert and Tua were relatively the same QB outside of a few inches of height. 

Its why I think Levis is the pick, and he and Irsay knew it about October when they decided to can the Ryan/Reich field leadership team.  Ballard simply is reading the draft and thinks Levis was never going at pick one or two. 

1 hour ago, El Potro said:

Ok. Legit question then.

How would one go about proving a non-factual statement? There's is nothing to show/prove to make either argument true. It's mere opinion to think a person that made a factual statement has an ego. 

Is it ego if Stroud says he's tall? Or if Young says he's a good QB? Or Richardson saying he's fast? Because all of those are factual statements, just like Levis saying he has a rocket arm. 

Also, stating that you are right and have been for 40 years is ego. A massive one at that. 

I was just pointing out that your response (the one I quoted before) did not say anything to argue against what Blue Shoe had written. 

Someone could reply "I have no problem with his ego (bravado/etc). Sports stars are often found to have an ego. I like that in my players..." That can explain a viewpoint that may differ from that of another fellow fan. (That is just an example.)

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I was just pointing out that your response (the one I quoted before) did not say anything to argue against what Blue Shoe had written. 

Someone could reply "I have no problem with his ego (bravado/etc). Sports stars are often found to have an ego. I like that in my players..." That can explain a viewpoint that may differ from that of another fellow fan. (That is just an example.)

Ok, that is fair. I didn't post Levis doesn't have an ego because I felt that didn't need to be stated. That should've been added apparently. 

Thank you for the response. 

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree, generally.   I don't' think this is as much about a QB evaluation as it is a draft evaluation, and he knows what teams covet which players.   If he covets the same QB as CAR and HOU, he's screwed.  He doesn't, so he has no need to move up.

But  I don't believe that Ballard is looking at Levis, Young, and Richardson like they are equal and will simply take which ever one is there.  I mean, they are three of the most disparate talented and body typed QBs to be ranked so close together.  Even Herbert and Tua were relatively the same QB outside of a few inches of height. 

Its why I think Levis is the pick, and he and Irsay knew it about October when they decided to can the Ryan/Reich field leadership team.  Ballard simply is reading the draft and thinks Levis was never going at pick one or two. 

You're making this assumption based on nothing.    You may be right  but you have zero to base it on.  You always have some bizarre scenarios.    These are the facts.  He could have traded up.  Maybe he tried to and carolina offered more.   It's possible.   He could trade up to 3 and hope his guy is there.   Or. He doesn't think any of the qbs this year are great.   He will sit at 4 and see what happens.   

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I get that you would care if another team hired him. 

But the same thing happened with Reich. And it doesn’t mean it wasn’t time to make a change at HC.

I think you have this backwards. It didn’t take years to build up Ballard…it took years to tear him (and his roster building philosophy) down. 

Now he has to basically adapt and build a new team around a young, unproven QB, which is not the job he wasn’t originally hired to do.  There isn’t even any track record of him being part of orgs that did this while he was there. 

Beyond one draft, 5 years ago, there also isn’t really much to support the claim that Ballard is a top level GM (assuming top level would be top 10). 

And the excuses are weak. Even setting aside QB, Ballard has had every resource a GM could need to build a team. And the Colts just won 4 games in his 6th year as GM.

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I disagree. I posted this in another thread, but it works here too. 

I think Young and Stroud come off the board at 1 and 2. Young could be the next Drew Brees or he could be the next Murray. Stroud has all the tools, but why would he say that he admires Vick and Watson? Has he been oblivious to everything? As a GM, that would concern the hell out of me. 

That leaves Levis, Hooker, and Richardson. 

Hooker is the most polished of the 3, and I really like his pocket mobility. There are times when he doesn’t see the rush, but it’s a similar issue I noticed early with Aaron Rodgers, and he can overcame it. Hooker can be very accurate, but he lacks anticipation. Has a strong enough arm, and wheels. While it is not an exact carbon copy, I see a lot of Daniel Jones in Hooker. And he will have the same hurdles in the NFL. But the potential is there. 

Levis has a huge upside. Strong arm and mobile enough. He is very cocky though. It might be hard to teach this guy how to leave his ego at the door of the quarterback room. Guys like this tend to have leadership issues. People can overcome this, but they normally don’t. If he can then his upside is similar to Josh Allen. 

Richardson is very raw, and he is one of the most inaccurate quarterbacks I’ve ever seen mentioned as a top 5 pick. He is an athletic freak. One rule to always remember is, you are either born with accuracy or you’re not. This is not something people usually improve drastically with. I think he is going to struggle in the NFL, and it’s all going to be linked to his ability to put the football in the right place. 

If Levis is off the board, then I’m taking BPA or bouncing out of that 4th pick. And there would need to be some very good interviews with Levis, to convince me that he is the guy. 

I would most likely either make a path to get Hooker, or arrange a deal for Lamar. And if all else fails, I’d be okay to ride with Minshew in 23. 

Is Richardson the next JaMarcus Russell?  Both have very strong arms and are very inaccurate. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I just get tired of the nonsense. 

Stetson Bennett will be drafted on Day 2 if he is lucky, or Day 3. Hell, he might go undrafted. Not because of his skin color, but because he is short and he has had some off field issues. 

Is he the same age as Hooker or a year older? I would not mind my team drafting him on Day 3. 

Archived