Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If a playoff team (NFC or AFC) gave a late 1st rounder for Pittman, would you accept?

chad72

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would not. WR is a premium position and Pittman is a no1 when he has any sort of decent QB. Keep him and pay him. The odds of getting a better receiver in the draft is very low, or even hitting on the 1st you got for him if you don't take a WR with that pick.

Id trade pittman for hyatt or that ohio state wr

Pittman isn’t perfect but ask yourself this are you really ready Alec Pierce to be the Colts number one WR?  That’s what you are doing if you trade Pittman.  Pittman is without a doubt the best WR the Colts have.  

The logic to trading him seems to be people fearing what he’s going to want on a new contract.  You can’t run a team that way.  If you do you are always in a state of rebuilding because you are trading away your good young players away before you have to pay them.  

You deal with Pittman’s contract when you have too, who knows maybe you can make a reasonable deal with him, most players do.  

Beyond that the Colts frankly need him because they don’t have another WR who is half the WR he is.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Id trade pittman for hyatt or that ohio state wr

I know Hyatt is a slot receiver, so he wouldn't play well on the outside and we just signed McKenzie. Not sure if you are talking about Njigba or Harrison for Ohio State. Harrison absolutely, I don't think Njigba falls to the late 1st anymore though. Might be the best WR in the class this year though.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Pittman isn’t perfect but ask yourself this are you really ready Alec Pierce to be the Colts number one WR?  That’s what you are doing if you trade Pittman.  Pittman is without a doubt the best WR the Colts have.  

The logic to trading him seems to be people fearing what he’s going to want on a new contract.  You can’t run a team that way.  If you do you are always in a state of rebuilding because you are trading away your good young players away before you have to pay them.  

You deal with Pittman’s contract when you have too, who knows maybe you can make a reasonable deal with him, most players do.  

Beyond that the Colts frankly need him because they don’t have another WR who is half the WR he is.

Thank You! Great Post! :thmup: :scoregood:

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I know Hyatt is a slot receiver, so he wouldn't play well on the outside and we just signed McKenzie. Not sure if you are talking about Njigba or Harrison for Ohio State. Harrison absolutely, I don't think Njigba falls to the late 1st anymore though. Might be the best WR in the class this year though.

Njigba this year and harrison next

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Alec pierce will be better than pittman very soon. Just need a competent qb

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not to mention pierce is already averaging more yards per catch than pittman  and had more tds his rookie year with a misfit cast of qbs and an offensive coordinator that forgot his weapons existed for quarters at a time.

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah but when a B level player wants paid like an A level player. U just gotta ask yourself if you'd be better off swinging again for a guy that you'd be more comfortable with paying that much to.

I mean look at Dak & Daniel Jones..they want Josh Allen money, but they're not making Josh Allen plays. I don't think we should have to break the bank for a player just because they're currently the best we have. 

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m a Buckeye and I think he’s great.  But I’d take that bet in a heartbeat.   

Maybe top 10.  

Guess it all depends on how he does in the season. He's top 3 in just about every early mock, even #2 in a lot. That name gives him a lot of hype. If Chase went #5 Harrison can definitely go top 3.

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Guess it all depends on how he does in the season. He's top 3 in just about every early mock, even #2 in a lot. That name gives him a lot of hype. If Chase went #5 Harrison can definitely go top 3.

I hope so, that would mean that the next OSU QB is really good.  But I’m not sure we have another CJ Stroud or Justin Fields this coming season.  Got some great RBs though!

Tough question.

He was drafted 34th so no 5th year option.  So this could be his last season as a Colt.  A year from now the asking price for a premier WR could be around 25M per year.

But to trade him as other posters have mentioned would make Pierce the #1 which is not good.

Because we will have a new rookie QB starting, it makes sense to surround him with weapons and give him protection.  WR's are only one part of the equation.  We have to fix the oline too.

So for that reason, because of the new Rookie QB, I would keep Pittman to give the QB as many weapons as possible.

9 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Tough question.

He was drafted 34th so no 5th year option.  So this could be his last season as a Colt.  A year from now the asking price for a premier WR could be around 25M per year.

But to trade him as other posters have mentioned would make Pierce the #1 which is not good.

Because we will have a new rookie QB starting, it makes sense to surround him with weapons and give him protection.  WR's are only one part of the equation.  We have to fix the oline too.

So for that reason, because of the new Rookie QB, I would keep Pittman to give the QB as many weapons as possible.

He is what Tee Higgins is, a Robin to a Batman like JaMarr Chase. Still productive like a very good WR2, so the question will become if they are going to pay him like a WR1. Christian Kirk money ($18 mil. per) will be the base we are going to have to start with. Since both JT and Pittman are 2nd rounders, Ballard would have to extend or pay them at the same time, and RBs don't fetch as much as WRs. 

If you are not going to be in a position to pay both JT and Pittman, then you have a hard decision to make, IMO. Zeke got paid but got run into the ground, happens to the best of them. JT cannot be a workhorse in current NFL conditions, won't be worth what we pay him if we DO pay him, have to reduce snaps to about 60-70%, IMO. 

We would be lucky to get a 1st, that is the only condition under which I would entertain it but if we do get a 1st, it will only be a very late 1st from a playoff team trying to put their team over the edge, IMO, anything in the mid 1st is a pipe dream for anyone suggesting that.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

IMO….   You can completely throw out last years offensive performance for most everyone.   Pitts regression was due to the issues of Ryan, the OL, and the coaching staff.  His 2021 season is much more indicative of what he can do.   

IMO, I think Pitt stands a good chance of taking a very nice jump in performance under Steichen and the new staff.   This should be closer to his breakout year.   Honestly, with young quarterbacks, he stands a good chance in having an even better year in 2024 as well.   

Just my two cents.    :2c:   And often not worth that much!   :hat:

I disagree. I feel history has shown us great WRs find ways to be great no matter who's under center. Pittman is not a true WR1 in my opinion. He's a possession WR. A WR2. I think he's been good so far in his career, not great, and had an average season in 2022.

When you compare what we have to the rest of the AFC contenders we're sorely lacking. We're not going to be a contender in '23, of course, so us not having weapons isn't a HUGE issue at this time. But, I expect Ballard to go find our new QB some weapons in '24. Like all the other contenders did when they landed their guy at QB.

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Tough question.

Sure it would be. Pierce can do everything pittman can do but he is faster

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All he runs is go routes on the outside like DeSean Jackson, very similar that he compares to it on nfl.com as well.

He is a flanker, not a true slot that goes over the middle that has sudden stopping ability to separate underneath to move chains. They line an outside WR to get him into rub routes, crossers and slants but most of the time he is running post routes and go routes. He can be used like Hardman on jet sweeps too, IMO. His speed is his calling and if he is there for our second rounder, since we don't have a real speed threat, I would not mind getting him at all. A guy with a big arm like Levis or Richardson would definitely use him well, IMO, with Steichen calling plays.

5 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I disagree. I feel history has shown us great WRs find ways to be great no matter who's under center. Pittman is not a true WR1 in my opinion. He's a possession WR. A WR2. I think he's been good so far in his career, not great, and had an average season in 2022.

When you compare what we have to the rest of the AFC contenders we're sorely lacking. We're not going to be a contender in '23, of course, so us not having weapons isn't a HUGE issue at this time. But, I expect Ballard to go find our new QB some weapons in '24. Like all the other contenders did when they landed their guy at QB.

I never said he’s a true number one.   I said he’s much better than he showed last year.   

Nor did I say his problem was just the quarterback.   I also pointed to the terrible OL which impacted the entire offense and the very poor coaching staff. 

I don’t know if you did some speed reading over my post but you completely mischaracterized everything I said.  

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I never said he’s a true number one.   I said he’s much better than he showed last year.   

Nor did I say his problem was just the quarterback.   I also pointed to the terrible OL which impacted the entire offense and the very poor coaching staff. 

I don’t know if you did some speed reading over my post but you completely mischaracterized everything I said.  

I wasn't trying to mischaracterize what you said.

But I do feel you made a lot of excuses for Pittman's performance last season. QB, OL and coaching. Great players find ways to be great.

Look at guys like:

Mike Evans

Chris Godwin

A.J. Brown

Terry McLaurin

Among others have had questionable QBs, OLs and/or coaching at various times during their career, but they've all made their mark.

Even guys like D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett kept it going without missing a beat going from Wilson to Geno Smith at QB. And Garrett Wilson rookie with the Jets did well with questionable QB play.

Pittman went from good to average. I'll say it again. Great WRs find ways to be great.

21 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

But I do feel you made a lot of excuses for Pittman's performance last season. QB, OL and coaching. Great players find ways to be great.

Look at guys like:

Mike Evans

Chris Godwin

A.J. Brown

Terry McLaurin

Among others have had questionable QBs, OLs and/or coaching at various times during their career, but they've all made their mark.

Even guys like D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett kept it going without missing a beat going from Wilson to Geno Smith at QB. And Garrett Wilson rookie with the Jets did well with questionable QB play.

Pittman went from good to average. I'll say it again. Great WRs find ways to be great.

Ok….    Again.    I didn’t say Pittman was great.    I simply said he was better than he was last year.    I don’t even know why this needs to be challenged?   Pittman’s numbers in 21 were much better than there were in 22.    That’s not even in dispute.   I think they can better again with improved circumstances around him.   

That’s all I’m saying.  

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Look at guys like:

Mike Evans

Chris Godwin

A.J. Brown

Terry McLaurin

Excuses? So having your QB slaughtered is an excuse for a receiver to have a down year? Get real.

10 minutes ago, DeepseaColt said:

Yes. He's got a great personality and is a hard worker but he's dropped too many must have catches to be a true number 1. First all day and try again. 

He had 4 drops out of 139 targets and 99 catches. So no, he does not drop too many passes.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

All he runs is go routes on the outside like DeSean Jackson, very similar that he compares to it on nfl.com as well.

He is a flanker, not a true slot that goes over the middle that has sudden stopping ability to separate underneath to move chains. They line an outside WR to get him into rub routes, crossers and slants but most of the time he is running post routes and go routes. He can be used like Hardman on jet sweeps too, IMO. His speed is his calling and if he is there for our second rounder, since we don't have a real speed threat, I would not mind getting him at all. A guy with a big arm like Levis or Richardson would definitely use him well, IMO, with Steichen calling plays.

Those were nice catches and guess who is throwing it to him   HA

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

Those were nice catches and guess who is throwing it to him   HA

No doubt that TN HC/OC schemed him good releases. Most NFL QBs will hit those throws, to be honest, outside some really bad ones that still exist.

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He had 4 drops out of 139 targets and 99 catches. So no, he does not drop too many passes.

The NFL defines a dropped pass as a catch a receiver should have made with ORDINARY effort(sorry for caps). There are quite a few a true #1 would have come up/down with and he just doesn't. Better to get the 1st than overpay him. 

1 hour ago, DeepseaColt said:

The NFL defines a dropped pass as a catch a receiver should have made with ORDINARY effort(sorry for caps). There are quite a few a true #1 would have come up/down with and he just doesn't. Better to get the 1st than overpay him. 

No where did I say not to take a #1 for him. I just stating he doesn't have a drop problem. You remember him having a drop doesn't mean he is known for having that problem.  

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He had a couple of drops at bad times last year and I think that’s what makes people think he has a drop problem.  

I understand that and that's why I defended him. Hilton had a drop rate higher than Pitt but he is not looked at like he dropped alot of balls.  

Just saying :)

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He had a couple of drops at bad times last year and I think that’s what makes people think he has a drop problem.  

Hes an OK receiver and there's nothing wrong with that. However I don't think the volts are going to want to match or give what he wants based on the wr market.  Therefore I would trade him now if possible for his contract comes due.

On 3/27/2023 at 9:21 AM, chad72 said:

The FA and draft is thin on the WR front. So WRs are actually worth a premium in the short term.

If a playoff team gave us a late 1st rounder for Pittman (mainly because of the value he has playing on a rookie contract and the market/draft shortage), would you accept? Would it bother you if it is an AFC team? Thoughts??

I’m leaning towards no 

On 3/27/2023 at 9:21 AM, chad72 said:

The FA and draft is thin on the WR front. So WRs are actually worth a premium in the short term.

If a playoff team gave us a late 1st rounder for Pittman (mainly because of the value he has playing on a rookie contract and the market/draft shortage), would you accept? Would it bother you if it is an AFC team? Thoughts??

I wouldn’t be opposed, because I think a 1 for Pitt is a really good return. I personally thought he was valued at around a three possibly a two at most. So a 1st would be great value. My only gripe is who are we going to throw to? That would leave us with AP as our primary receiver. I think in the long scheme of things it would help the organization. 

Archived