Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If a playoff team (NFC or AFC) gave a late 1st rounder for Pittman, would you accept?

chad72

The FA and draft is thin on the WR front. So WRs are actually worth a premium in the short term.

If a playoff team gave us a late 1st rounder for Pittman (mainly because of the value he has playing on a rookie contract and the market/draft shortage), would you accept? Would it bother you if it is an AFC team? Thoughts??

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The FA and draft is thin on the WR front. So WRs are actually worth a premium in the short term.

If a playoff team gave us a late 1st rounder for Pittman (mainly because of the value he has playing on a rookie contract and the market/draft shortage), would you accept? Would it bother you if it is an AFC team? Thoughts??

I was let down by his performance last season, but I’d say no. I’d like to see what the next QB can do with him and hope they can build a good relationship. That’s very important to a young QBs development: to have that veteran receiver to establish trust in. 

Manning had Harrison. Luck had Wayne. Hopefully our next guy has Pittman. 

I like Pitt... but I'd probably do that in a heartbeat.  We would have had him for the majority of his cheap rookie contract and upgraded on the draft pick we spent on him. I'd even ask for the next year 1 instead to try and package both those together to get MHJ to replace him lol.  Hard to justify turning that deal down, imo.

30 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No I wouldn’t.  But the Broncos have until May 1st to decide on exercising the 5th year option on Jeudy.  He has been rumored to be available.  I would see if they would trade Jeudy for Pittman straight up.  I would do that trade.

This I definitely wouldn't do. I would trade Pittman for a 1st, nothing less. It would help our cap situation for the next 3 years, and easier to resign Taylor. Next year is a wash, we preparing for 2024-25 season.

45 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No I wouldn’t.  But the Broncos have until May 1st to decide on exercising the 5th year option on Jeudy.  He has been rumored to be available.  I would see if they would trade Jeudy for Pittman straight up.  I would do that trade.

I think fans will find out that Jeudy simply isn't big enough for the NFL position he plays...which is why DEN wants to move him.  He's not a tiny water bug guy that can run like he's controlled by a joy stick, he's just a fast guy that's really small and skinny. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think fans will find out that Jeudy simply isn't big enough for the NFL position he plays...which is why DEN wants to move him.  He's not a tiny water bug guy that can run like he's controlled by a joy stick, he's just a fast guy that's really small and skinny. 

Jeudy is the same height and weight as Stephon Diggs.  Diggs career hasn’t been too bad so far lol.   His build is a non issue really.  Denver wants to move him because of his potential cap ramifications and they are looking for draft picks.  They are looking for a 1st or a 2nd and a player.  I would trade them Pittman straight up.  I would even give them one of our 5ths if they wanted it to complete the trade.  We would finally have a speedy WR1.  

I need to rethink his market and projected contract demands. Some new WR contracts have come online this offseason that might pull down his value a little bit. Plus, his production hasn't been outstanding.

If he's trying to get $20m/year, I'd be fine with trading him for a late first rounder. That would be a really good recoup for us. And I wouldn't care if it's an AFC team.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Jeudy is the same height and weight as Stephon Diggs.  Diggs career hasn’t been too bad so far lol.   His build is a non issue really.  Denver wants to move him because of his potential cap ramifications and they are looking for draft picks.  They are looking for a 1st or a 2nd and a player.  I would trade them Pittman straight up.  I would even give them one of our 5ths if they wanted it to complete the trade.  We would finally have a speedy WR1.  

Diggs and Jeudy are not the same player.  DEN has basically told him that he needs to gain weight to have long term success in the NFL.  DEN has other players to trade, but apparently want to hang on to them.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Diggs and Jeudy are not the same player.  DEN has basically told him that he needs to gain weight to have long term success in the NFL.  DEN has other players to trade, but apparently want to hang on to them.

You were using his height and weight against him.  I’m pointing out it’s a weak argument.  Players succeed all the time with those measurements.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You were using his height and weight against him.  I’m pointing out it’s a weak argument.  Players succeed all the time with those measurements.

Its weight distribution and also agility...the ability to elude given the slight frame.   Jeudy is a tiny straight ahead fast guy...not elusive, not strong.  I said that in my first post.

Not even close to being as powerful as Tyreek Hill, who is probably even smaller than Jeudy from a pure measurements standpoint.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its weight distribution and also agility...the ability to elude given the slight frame.   Jeudy is a tiny straight ahead fast guy...not elusive, not strong.  I said that in my first post.

He has no trade value. A wr going into a contract year with  average production.  Lucky to get a 3rd

30 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He has no trade value. A wr going into a contract year with  average production.  Lucky to get a 3rd

That's why I'd jump on an offer for a 1st. 

I like Pitt's toughness but he wouldn't be too hard to replace in the draft.  And you're getting someone a lot cheaper for four or five more years.

A first is a very good offer for Pittman. If the first was next year's 1st it would be even better. If we are drafting a QB this draft IMO there is additional value to keeping Pittman in order to give the new guy a stable option to target and grow with. But I would understand if we accepted that trade too... as long as we actually spend those resources on acquiring new weapons in the competitive window of our new QB. 

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

No cause we need him

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would trade them Pittman straight up.  I would even give them one of our 5ths if they wanted it to complete the trade.  We would finally have a speedy WR1.  

You'd trade the better, more reliable receiver and a 5th for the worse receiver? 

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

No.  WRs take time to grow and he is hitting his stride right now.  (I am not calculating in financial costs or salary cap here  just production and on field value)

Really? How many WRs become great in year 5-6? Legitimately asking, because I feel the ones who turn out great are so from day one in the NFL. 

In my opinion Pittman is what he will be. I doubt he’ll make further strides in ability or production which is why I generally call him a WR2. 

For a late 1st or a high 2nd I’d trade him in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Really? How many WRs become great in year 5-6? Legitimately asking, because I feel the ones who turn out great are so from day one in the NFL. 

In my opinion Pittman is what he will be. I doubt he’ll make further strides in ability or production which is why I generally call him a WR2. 

For a late 1st or a high 2nd I’d trade him in a heartbeat. 

is he in year 5?  Holy cow.  I thought it was like his 3rd year.  Lol.  I thought that when there was an argument about jts next contract.  I was thinking it was years away

in my defense I’m going to say the last 2 years have been forgettable!

geeze. I really can’t believe he’s been here that long.  My mistake 

10 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

is he in year 5?  Holy cow.  I thought it was like his 3rd year.  Lol.  I thought that when there was an argument about jts next contract.  I was thinking it was years away

in my defense I’m going to say the last 2 years have been forgettable!

geeze. I really can’t believe he’s been here that long.  My mistake 

He’s entering year 4. My bad. That pretty much leaves this season for him to take that last step, though. Still, how many make the jump to great in year 4? Next year he’ll want a new contract and thanks to Jacksonville screwing the market it’s probably going to be in the $18-22m/year range. I wouldn’t want to spend that money on Pittman. 

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

He’s entering year 4. My bad. That pretty much leaves this season for him to take that last step, though. Still, how many make the jump to great in year 4? Next year he’ll want a new contract and thanks to Jacksonville screwing the market it’s probably going to be in the $18-22m/year range. I wouldn’t want to spend that money on Pittman. 

might be a while till we see a first round talent here in Indy again. 

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

No worries. I wasn’t sure myself and didn’t check.  Hopefully he turns it on this year 

Its a close call to me.  We would have a very weak WR room if we trade him, in the running for worst in the league.

He could also leave in free agency next year or ask for more than id want to give.  Id want to know the exact pick we are getting before giving a final answer.  For pick 32 i might pass for 18 id do it

The only way I would make that trade is if they had a WR in the draft that they wanted really bad. That way it’s more of replacing Pittman with a young rookie who is starting his rookie contract instead of being at the end of the rookie contract with Pittman

6 hours ago, stitches said:

A first is a very good offer for Pittman. If the first was next year's 1st it would be even better. If we are drafting a QB this draft IMO there is additional value to keeping Pittman in order to give the new guy a stable option to target and grow with. But I would understand if we accepted that trade too... as long as we actually spend those resources on acquiring new weapons in the competitive window of our new QB. 

U r lucky to get a 3rd

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

IMO….   You can completely throw out last years offensive performance for most everyone.   Pitts regression was due to the issues of Ryan, the OL, and the coaching staff.  His 2021 season is much more indicative of what he can do.   

IMO, I think Pitt stands a good chance of taking a very nice jump in performance under Steichen and the new staff.   This should be closer to his breakout year.   Honestly, with young quarterbacks, he stands a good chance in having an even better year in 2024 as well.   

Just my two cents.    :2c:   And often not worth that much!   :hat:

I would not. WR is a premium position and Pittman is a no1 when he has any sort of decent QB. Keep him and pay him. The odds of getting a better receiver in the draft is very low, or even hitting on the 1st you got for him if you don't take a WR with that pick.

Archived