Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Pinter capable of replacing Kelly at Center?

Hoose

I will assume for purposes of this thread that it’s accepted that Kelly has underperformed and regressed the past two years.

There has been more than one poster around here suggesting Kelly could be traded to a Center needy team such as the Jets or Cards on or before draft day. 
Which leaves the Colts with…. Pinter and a rookie they likely grab on Day 2. 

There are posters on this Board who watch tape prolifically and should have an opinion about Pinter. 
For my untrained eye, he played very well at Center subbing for Kelly and was dreadful as a starter at RG. 

So…. if the Colts were to pull the trigger on  a Kelly trade, I’d appreciate some thoughts from the Board on whether Pinter can be trusted to capably play Center for this team. Personally, I’d be drafting a Center this year Day 2 or early Day 3 regardless. But if Pinter could play the position effectively, it could free up serious cap space and perhaps net a decent pick for Kelly.
Thoughts?

If the purpose of the trade is to increase cap space, you have to wonder what team is going to take Kelly’s contract.   The Colts would most likely end up eating a bunch, so there may not be much savings. 

They just paid his bonus, right?  Maybe the new OL coach can get him back in form.

But to answer your question, Pinter looked decent at C.  Horrible at RG.  

13 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I will assume for purposes of this thread that it’s accepted that Kelly has underperformed and regressed the past two years.

There has been more than one poster around here suggesting Kelly could be traded to a Center needy team such as the Jets or Cards on or before draft day. 

There are posters on this Board who watch tape prolifically and should have an opinion about Pinter. 
For my untrained eye, he played very well at Center subbing for Kelly and was dreadful as a starter at RG. 

So…. if the Colts were to pull the trigger on  a Kelly trade, I’d appreciate some thoughts from the Board on whether Pinter can be trusted to capably play Center for this team. Personally, I’d be drafting a Center this year Day 2 or early Day 3 regardless. But if Pinter could play the position effectively, it could free up serious cap space and perhaps net a decent pick for Kelly.
Thoughts?

I am out on Ryan kelly but I think we should keep him because we are not in a position to compete now and not really in dire need of his cap relief like we would have almost 4.5m in dead cap and save almost 8m but if we let him go thru offseason and cut him after June 1 we only have 2.25 dead and save 10m. But tbh might as well let him compete with a rookie center for the year and if he get back to form ride him another year and then let him walk if he doesn’t cut him next year when we might be in better position to compete for something and have to give Pittman and possibly Taylor a contract 

3 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I am out on Ryan kelly but I think we should keep him because we are not in a position to compete now and not really in dire need of his cap relief like we would have almost 4.5m in dead cap and save almost 8m but if we let him go thru offseason and cut him after June 1 we only have 2.25 dead and save 10m. But tbh might as well let him compete with a rookie center for the year and if he get back to form ride him another year and then let him walk if he doesn’t cut him next year when we might be in better position to compete for something and have to give Pittman and possibly Taylor a contract 

Your thoughts on Pinter?

26 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Your thoughts on Pinter?

They certainly will not trust Pinter to be the guy. He has a good shot to be the starter for awhile though. Draft competition is a long term must.

Ryan will take a pay cut one way or another. If he stays here a cut, if he is traded he likely will get a new short term contract with some guaranteed $$.

It is a good idea to dump him, save the cap money to be rolled over for future spending needs. 

A multiple player draft day trade with Chicago seems likely. 

Just for fun, what would Buckner, Grover, Moore, and Kelly do for Chicago's team building?

And what would we get in return? 

48 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Your thoughts on Pinter?

I think he should be in the mix cause he did fill in nice as center but we can’t trust him after his performance last year. Granted he was out of position but never the less can’t trust him, he has to earn it imo 

We have Wesley French,he spent the year getting bigger and stronger which was his biggest weakness. Curious how he has developed. Pinter looked good in a short stint at Center but then again Pryor looked good in a short stint at tackle and we all saw how that played out once playing time was increased. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Thoughts?

the major benefit of Pinter is he was widely praised coming out of the draft a an athletic “move” lineman who could be used in a zone scheme. 

historically, the schemes that sparano has used recently employ a good amount of movement by his Center and try to get them to pull and operate in space. 

that plays to pinter’s strengths and gets away from his weaknesses where he is overwhelmed strength-wise and needs to play angles 

I think he can be an average starting center in a zone scheme if we go that route. 

45 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think Kelly is going anywhere.   He will be the center next season

If that happens, then I am afraid that everything will remain the same on the OL, except RG. They probably will replace Will Fries there? ...and that being said, then I expect the line to remain our weak spot.

6 hours ago, Hoose said:

Thoughts?

He couldn’t play any worse than Kelly has the last two season.  Competition from a draft pick would have to take place. I would sign a guard in free agency to compete with Fries, let Kelly go then draft a center. 

14 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think Pinter could but I think Kelly bounces back.  The family issue he went through is tough to get your mind right from (no cool hand look references here) and he had injuries too.  

I think he’ll be healthy and focused.  

Kelly’s regression started before his family’s tragedy. The money they are spending for a center isn’t a good use of resources let alone a below average one 

5 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

We have Wesley French,he spent the year getting bigger and stronger which was his biggest weakness. Curious how he has developed. Pinter looked good in a short stint at Center but then again Pryor looked good in a short stint at tackle and we all saw how that played out once playing time was increased. 

Didnt we claim a center as well

After mis-evaluations last year on both Pinter and Pryor, I’m not sure anyone can accurately know if Pinter can start a 17-game schedule at a high enough level?

Yes, Pinter played center well in ‘21.  But it was only two games.   Not much of a sample size.   And once teams have a video library on you,  things can change.   Just ask Matt Pryor.   He played three positions well in 21, and was atrocious at all three positions last year. 

So Pinter might indeed be good at Center in 23.    He might.   But he might also be bad.   Big NT’s might push him all over the field.   

So to me, it’s an open question.   But after last years OL debacle I’m going to be much more skeptical than ever before.  

Kelly’s elbow has been an issue since it was hyperextended, he’s had numerous concussions that have extended beyond one game, and the quantity of mistakes he’s made over the past couple seasons suggests his head just isn’t in the game since their family tragedy. I’d love to be proven wrong and hope he has the best season of his career, but, sadly, I see another mentally and physically declining offensive lineman…

Archived