Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will they or Won't they?

Indeee

I'm going on record as saying that I'm probably going to be wrong about this, however I'm not so sure that I won't be right either.

I'm NOT convinced the Colts will 100% take a QB at 4 and for that matter at all in this draft and if they do, it won't be higher than the 4th round. I'm leaning towards no QB taken. 

I have listened to a lot of "experts" and except for the ones like Kiper, Mcshay, and those who are a large part of the draft projectors, I get the sense that there is a lot of uncertainty based on what QB or QB's will be at 4 when the Colts are on the clock and if the Colts are actually going to take one.

My gut is telling me that the Colts ride with Minshew all season from the jump. That 6th year, that was given to Steichen is really making me go :thinking:

I mean let's look at this by stepping back a bit. Does anyone on here believe that the Colts can CONSISTENTLY win NOW as this team is constructed with the addition of a drafted QB?

I get we can win some games and have won some against some "top" afc teams, but does anyone think this team with Richardson or Levis or Hooker and our current roster can compete with the rosters of the

Chiefs

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Broncos

Jags

Bengals

Chargers

Answer is most likely no. That is a gauntlet. 

So, knowing this, and putting the emotional desperation aside on needing to find a QB, if you are the Colts and are stuck with drafting the 3 I mentioned, all of whom are projects/not ready to potentially start right away and might not even be that good, then why would you draft one just to sit behind Minshew no less?

If whatever QB you're going to take, ends up red shirting based on not being ready and would only see the field due to injury or severe awfulness, then why not just wait, let the 2023 season fall where it might and concentrate on grabbing either Williams or Maye in 2024 who are much more polished and ready compared to who we will be staring at four?

The only thing that makes sense, where the Colts are concerned regarding QB's this year IS making a serious play for Lamar. 

The rest, I don't see it. Other than desperation, to me, there is zero reason you draft Levis, Richardson, or Hooker. If you wanna QB take that kid from Utah State or Bennett later in the draft. Maybe you will hit gold, but if not, you can do whatever it takes to really grab a gold bar next year.

Just my take, for what it's worth.

And if the Colts don’t have the draft picks get Williams or Maye next year? Then what? You can endlessly chase your tail year after year and justify not taking any QB because the perfect situation just isn’t there. 

Do you really see this franchise going yet another year with a makeshift QB situation? With Minshew, a journeyman backup, as their starter?  I don’t. It’s time to take a risk. There are no guarantees in the NFL, except the fact that you will continue to flounder as a franchise until you get the right QB. That’s just the way it is. 

11 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Absolutely. Especially with Payton now there. Broncos have a lot of talent. If Wilson gets in gear, they will be miles better than last year.

Yeah but you listed them as a part of a "gauntlet:.

They are just another team with a lot to prove.

I am not scared of any team on that list honestly. I dont think any of them are great teams really. They all are beatable.

So the Colts should draft a QB if they like the QB. If they dont like the QB, they should draft a player they like instead.

But I dont think they should make a decision based off desperation. They have a new coach and should be looking at this as a 3 year plan to implement his system and build HIS team.

The NFL is win now league more then ever. Just a year ago today we were a "QB a way" form the super bowl and now we are in rebuild mode. I don't believe that at all.  it's a year to to year league, you build your team to win........period

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

And if the Colts don’t have the draft picks get Williams or Maye next year? Then what? You can endlessly chase your tail year after year and justify not taking any QB because the perfect situation just isn’t there. 

Do you really see this franchise going yet another year with a makeshift QB situation? With Minshew, a journeyman backup, as their starter?  I don’t. It’s time to take a risk. There are no guarantees in the NFL, except the fact that you will continue to flounder as a franchise until you get the right QB. That’s just the way it is. 

Yes, I could. I could also see this team drafting a guy just to draft a guy and going another handful of years with a terrible QB situation. I agree with the risking part, I would either risk being able to grab a QB next year or take the risk in acquiring Lamar. The other 3 I think the risk is greater with potential of being a disappointment.

4 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Yeah but you listed them as a part of a "gauntlet:.

They are just another team with a lot to prove.

I am not scared of any team on that list honestly. I dont think any of them are great teams really. They all are beatable.

So the Colts should draft a QB if they like the QB. If they dont like the QB, they should draft a player they like instead.

But I dont think they should make a decision based off desperation. They have a new coach and should be looking at this as a 3 year plan to implement his system and build HIS team.

well, okay that's fair. you can move Broncos to lower tier of that list. I didn't really order them. If they also get rid of their wideouts my view would change also about them. 

14 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I think the problem with your thinking is that taking a QB high in the draft is a 3 year investment, at minimum.

I look at Chicago and thats the position I absolutely dont want to be in. They have Justin Fields who has lost 80% of his games and they just traded an opportunity to draft a guy who may be much better because they still dont know if hes the guy yet. And he really hasnt shown anything that suggests hes the guy.

Then I look at a team like Arizona who has invested even more in a guy like Kyler Murray, who I think is clearly not good enough to compete in a weak NFC but is still one of the highest paid players in the league despite not deserving it.

I would much rather keep my options open than be there. 

48 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm going on record as saying that I'm probably going to be wrong about this, however I'm not so sure that I won't be right either.

I'm NOT convinced the Colts will 100% take a QB at 4 and for that matter at all in this draft and if they do, it won't be higher than the 4th round. I'm leaning towards no QB taken. 

I have listened to a lot of "experts" and except for the ones like Kiper, Mcshay, and those who are a large part of the draft projectors, I get the sense that there is a lot of uncertainty based on what QB or QB's will be at 4 when the Colts are on the clock and if the Colts are actually going to take one.

My gut is telling me that the Colts ride with Minshew all season from the jump. That 6th year, that was given to Steichen is really making me go :thinking:

I mean let's look at this by stepping back a bit. Does anyone on here believe that the Colts can CONSISTENTLY win NOW as this team is constructed with the addition of a drafted QB?

I get we can win some games and have won some against some "top" afc teams, but does anyone think this team with Richardson or Levis or Hooker and our current roster can compete with the rosters of the

Chiefs

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Broncos

Jags

Bengals

Chargers

So, knowing this, and putting the emotional desperation aside on needing to find a QB, if you are the Colts and are stuck with drafting the 3 I mentioned, all of whom are projects/not ready to potentially start right away and might not even be that good, then why would you draft one just to sit behind Minshew no less?

If whatever QB you're going to take, ends up red shirting based on not being ready and would only see the field due to injury or severe awfulness, then why not just wait, let the 2023 season fall where it might and concentrate on grabbing either Williams or Maye in 2024 who are much more polished and ready compared to who we will be staring at four?

The only thing that makes sense, where the Colts are concerned regarding QB's this year IS making a serious play for Lamar. 

The rest, I don't see it. Other than desperation, to me, there is zero reason you draft Levis, Richardson, or Hooker. If you wanna QB take that kid from Utah State or Bennett later in the draft. Maybe you will hit gold, but if not, you can do whatever it takes to really grab a gold bar next year.

i agree 100 percent

I posted a while back that Ballard would love to go to Irsay and say “Look, Mr Irsay, the best quarterbacks are gonna be off the board. We gotta get this right when we pick one. You know me, I won’t force a QB pick. We can get one of the best defensive players in the draft at 4.” This scenario allows him to kick the can down the road another year on QB and delay the clock on his job security. This wouldn’t surprise me a bit after watching CB operate for six years. I don’t get the “Get Williams next year” idea. How likely is it we have the league’s worst record? Whoever has it prob isn’t trading and CB won’t move up anyway. We need to draft the best QB available and count on our coaches to improve him and scheme for him. If he doesn’t hit, so be it. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Chiefs

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Broncos

Jags

Bengals

Chargers

Actually I’m not sure tossing this season aside and riding with who we have is a bad thing.

one, with few exceptions, most of those teams have QBs either on or entering their 2nd contracts.  Regardless of who we take, pretty sure it’s gonna take 3-4 years minimum to get back to being an actual contender. By that time, some of those QBs likely won’t be on the team they are now or it’s possible some may ride off into the sunset and retire. 

at that point, we’d theoretically have a QB entering his prime with a team built around him to maximize his skills. We could go on a run at that point. 

Paying "a kings ransom" in draft picks - and - THEN - paying "a kings ransom" to a QB coming off an serious injury - and - hasn't had ANY team reach out to him is what I deem "the REAL desperation move"!!

Having a first round rookie QB on a 5-year contract helps the team add additional talent on the roster.

Lamar Jackson has his mind set on getting what DeShaun Watson got from the Cleveland Browns - and - ZERO teams have reached out to Lamar.  ZERO - after two full weeks of free agency.  

THAT alone should tell you volumes about what NFL teams consider Lamar Jackson's free agent value!!

I'm guessing that you ALL have significant knowledge about the NFL Draft - and - all the rumors and/or opinions that lead up to that event.

And - THEN - you have the ultimate "cray cray circus" the first two days of the draft.

NO ONE KNOWS FOR CERTAIN WHO WILL BE DRAFTED - IN WHAT SLOT - OR - BY WHAT TEAM!!

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

Paying "a kings ransom" in draft picks - and - THEN - paying "a kings ransom" to a QB coming off an serious injury - and - hasn't had ANY team reach out to him is what I deem "the REAL desperation move"!!

Having a first round rookie QB on a 5-year contract helps the team add additional talent on the roster.

Lamar Jackson has his mind set on getting what DeShaun Watson got from the Cleveland Browns - and - ZERO teams have reached out to Lamar.  ZERO - after two full weeks of free agency.  

THAT alone should tell you volumes about what NFL teams consider Lamar Jackson's free agent value!!

I'm guessing that you ALL have significant knowledge about the NFL Draft - and - all the rumors and/or opinions that lead up to that event.

And - THEN - you have the ultimate "cray cray circus" the first two days of the draft.

NO ONE KNOWS FOR CERTAIN WHO WILL BE DRAFTED - IN WHAT SLOT - OR - BY WHAT TEAM!!

I dont think an ankle or a knee sprain is really a serious injury.

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

I've heard Ballard and others say that no price is too high for the right qb. Two first round picks is not a "king's ransom" I would much rather give up 2 first picks and pay Lamar $250 million for 5 years than to take one of these guys in the draft. 

Since the 2010 Super Bowl only 4 teams have won Super Bowls with QB's on rookie deals (Baltimore, Flacco Seattle, Wilson Philly, Wentz Kansas City, Mahomes). So this idea that a team needs a cost effective QB contract to win just doesn't line up with reality.  

Do you know why zero teams have reached out to Lamar? It has nothing to do with his "free agent value" and everything to do with the fact that the other 31 NFL owners DO NOT WANT TO PAY GUARANTEED CONTRACTS! This has the potential to completely change the way business is done in the NFL, and the owners are fighting it until the bitter end. If the players are smart right now the NFLPA should be telling Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, and other star players who are eligible for extensions this year to tell their teams that they will not consider anything that isn't guaranteed. Lamar is being shunned right now because no one wants to be the next owner to cave. In my opinion, if the players band together the owners will have to give in. If I'm Burrow or Herbert I wouldn't step into the team's facilities again until it was to sign my fully guaranteed contract. To think this is about Lamar's value is really silly. And to be honest, I'm sick of hearing the excuse that the NFL just can't give out guaranteed deals because of the injuries that happen. Paul George is getting over $40 million a year for the Clippers and how many games has he missed in his career? Mike Trout makes over makes over $35 million a year but in the last 5 years hasn't even played 60% of his teams games and has only been to the playoff once in his career. This has zero to do with Lamar Jackson's free agent value and everything to do with the greed of the NFL owners.  I don't blame the owners for trying to make as much money as they possibly can, that's the point of having a business. At some point though, you do have to pass some of the profits down to the guys who put people in the seats.

12 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I've heard Ballard and others say that no price is too high for the right qb. Two first round picks is not a "king's ransom" I would much rather give up 2 first picks and pay Lamar $250 million for 5 years than to take one of these guys in the draft. 

Since the 2010 Super Bowl only 4 teams have won Super Bowls with QB's on rookie deals (Baltimore, Flacco Seattle, Wilson Philly, Wentz Kansas City, Mahomes). So this idea that a team needs a cost effective QB contract to win just doesn't line up with reality.  

Do you know why zero teams have reached out to Lamar? It has nothing to do with his "free agent value" and everything to do with the fact that the other 31 NFL owners DO NOT WANT TO PAY GUARANTEED CONTRACTS! This has the potential to completely change the way business is done in the NFL, and the owners are fighting it until the bitter end. If the players are smart right now the NFLPA should be telling Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, and other star players who are eligible for extensions this year to tell their teams that they will not consider anything that isn't guaranteed. Lamar is being shunned right now because no one wants to be the next owner to cave. In my opinion, if the players band together the owners will have to give in. If I'm Burrow or Herbert I wouldn't step into the team's facilities again until it was to sign my fully guaranteed contract. To think this is about Lamar's value is really silly. And to be honest, I'm sick of hearing the excuse that the NFL just can't give out guaranteed deals because of the injuries that happen. Paul George is getting over $40 million a year for the Clippers and how many games has he missed in his career? Mike Trout makes over makes over $35 million a year but in the last 5 years hasn't even played 60% of his teams games and has only been to the playoff once in his career. This has zero to do with Lamar Jackson's free agent value and everything to do with the greed of the NFL owners.  I don't blame the owners for trying to make as much money as they possibly can, that's the point of having a business. At some point though, you do have to pass some of the profits down to the guys who put people in the seats.

Not smart enough to know how it all works, but in no other team sport is a team so reliant on one position.  Pay a QB that sort of guaranteed money, who then suffers a serious injury and is off the field for an extended period - how does it affect the cap…and the owner’s ability to spend that kind of money on another?  Just asking…

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Chiefs

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Broncos

Jags

Bengals

Chargers

I m not opposed especially if we wait until after the draft.   Which would be 2024-2025 1sts   And hopefully we grab a stud D player and win a lot of games with LJ and the draft pick is a  20 something pick.   

But what if Jackson gets hurt game one and we go 1-16 and end up with the 1st pick in the draft? The Baltimore would own that pick and get the top QB.  

Two edged sword there. 

Glad I don't make the decisions 

5 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Not smart enough to know how it all works, but in no other team sport is a team so reliant on one position.  Pay a QB that sort of guaranteed money, who then suffers a serious injury and is off the field for an extended period - how does it affect the cap…and the owner’s ability to spend that kind of money on another?  Just asking…

I don't understand all of the complexities of the salary cap either. Injuries are a part of sports though. Heck, Kevin Durant was injured in the lay up line the other night. But really how many career ending injuries have we really seen for star QB's? The only one I can really think of is Joe Theismann getting his leg snapped off by Lawrence Taylor. The advancement of medicine today gets these guys back on the field like never before in history. Look at Alex Smith he almost had to have his leg amputated but was able to make a return to the NFL. There is risk involved in every contract signing but you have to be willing to take risks in life if you want to succeed.

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Chiefs

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Broncos

Jags

Bengals

Chargers

Here’s the thing about stinking it up this year to get a Breyer draft pick for next year. 

If we’re going to stink, then we really REALLY have to stink.   I mean like a 2 win season and NOT 4 wins.   Why?

Because if we the Colts are picking 4th again, the cost to move up next year to 1 or 2 is likely going to be much MUCH higher than it was this year or most any other year.  

Like a minimum of THREE 1’s and THREE 2’s to get the conversation started.  And I wouldn’t be surprised if it was more.   Odds are whoever is picking 1-2 next year will be needing a quarterback as well, so they may have zero interest in trading out. 

So just being a bottom-5 bad team next year will not be enough.   The Colts would have to be bottom-2 level bad team to insure they get a great QB.    And it takes some real effort to be that bad, and so far at least, the Colts haven’t made much of an effort to be that bad.   

3 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

The NFL is win now league more then ever. Just a year ago today we were a "QB a way" form the super bowl and now we are in rebuild mode. I don't believe that at all.  it's a year to to year league, you build your team to win........period

Exactly. I don't think it makes a lost of sense to try to schedule when you're bad or good. We beat the best team in that gauntlet last year and led the Eagles until the end.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s the thing about stinking it up this year to get a Breyer draft pick for next year. 

If we’re going to stink, then we really REALLY have to stink.   I mean like a 2 win season and NOT 4 wins.   Why?

Because if we the Colts are picking 4th again, the cost to move up next year to 1 or 2 is likely going to be much MUCH higher than it was this year or most any other year.  

Like a minimum of THREE 1’s and THREE 2’s to get the conversation started.  And I wouldn’t be surprised if it was more.   Odds are whoever is picking 1-2 next year will be needing a quarterback as well, so they may have zero interest in trading out. 

So just being a bottom-5 bad team next year will not be enough.   The Colts would have to be bottom-2 level bad team to insure they get a great QB.    And it takes some real effort to be that bad, and so far at least, the Colts haven’t made much of an effort to be that bad.   

Yes, however I believe doing whatever it takes to land one of those QB's next year could be in play. Look at the panthers this year. They were at 9 with a record of 7-10 and moved to 1.

You think the Colts finish better then 7-10 in 2023? I don't. 

It is potentially/highly doable unless the Rams or the Falcons (barring adding a QB, like hometown Bennett, this year) finishes with a worse record then Indy. 

20 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Silliness. We were a QB away from being Division contenders/favorites with small hopes of winning a playoff game. That with some believing Frank was a good enough coach post Sirriani to lead a winner. 

Looking back, if Rivers hadn't come here to cover Frank's mediocrity, Frank was a good prospect to have been fired sooner.

23 hours ago, Indeee said:

Chiefs

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Broncos

Jags

Bengals

Chargers

This makes sense from a long-term standpoint. But I don’t see it being practical.

My guess is they are drafting a #4. And he will very likely sit for at least a good amount of games. 

23 hours ago, Indeee said:

Chiefs

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Broncos

Jags

Bengals

Chargers

Draft a qb this year , and if we in position to get one next year trade in for upgrade or get king random like bears. But riding minshew and not trying to get a guy to develop is wasting a year

Just now, jbaron04 said:

Draft a qb this year , and if we in position to get one next year trade in for upgrade or get king random like bears. But riding minshew and not trying to get a guy to develop is wasting a year

That’s the other option. Just draft one and hedge a bit. Give him a good chunk of the season and see what happens.

On 3/24/2023 at 10:56 AM, masterlock said:

Knowing Ballard, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he traded back to get Hooker or DTR and some extra picks.

One thing I am certain of is he stays put at 4. He has hinted that they getting the best player at 4. Now if u read into  it and  what Ballard considers the best player.  He love upside and measurables. I was thinking Levi in an earlier post because of connections to Indy but Richardson would fit Ballard's profile to whom he sees as the best player.  I could just see Ballard glowing after picking Richardson and saying it wasn't close to who they saw as the best player in the draft. That's just me. He will have to sit for a year then we will pick Marvin Harrison Jr next cause we  will suck but I am looking to the future.

On 3/24/2023 at 12:44 PM, Indeee said:

Chiefs

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Broncos

Jags

Bengals

Chargers

Uh.....compete? Absolutely.   Win 8+ games relatively soon, as in next season or year after....  Sure.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

One thing I am certain of is he stays put at 4. He has hinted that they getting the best player at 4. Now if u read into  it and  what Ballard considers the best player.  He love upside and measurables. I was thinking Levi in an earlier post because of connections to Indy but Richardson would fit Ballard's profile to whom he sees as the best player.  I could just see Ballard glowing after picking Richardson and saying it wasn't close to who they saw as the best player in the draft. That's just me. He will have to sit for a year then we will pick Marvin Harrison Jr next cause we  will suck but I am looking to the future.

I think it more likely (I don't necessarily think it is more likely, just more than your post) that if Ballard were to do that, and the remarks you list were a bod to getting the "best" player..

It would be DE Anderson.

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I can definitely see Ballard claiming the Colts got the ONE player they coveted, how they got lucky he fell to them, etc. But if we're talking about the best PLAYER, and not simply the best athlete with the best traits/most upside, etc., then I think we have to look at actual playing ability NOW, in which case, I don't think Richardson fits the bill. In fact, I'm not sure any QB in this draft qualifies as the best PLAYER. More likely, you have to pick someone like Will Anderson.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:49 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Silliness. We were a QB away from being Division contenders/favorites with small hopes of winning a playoff game. That with some believing Frank was a good enough coach post Sirriani to lead a winner. 

Looking back, if Rivers hadn't come here to cover Frank's mediocrity, Frank was a good prospect to have been fired sooner.

Nope.. Just look at the March Madness going on now..  If the colts are a QB away to win the division that means your in the playoffs.

Anything can happen when you in the  post season. Did you have Florida Atlantic making it this far in your bracket? 

Just get to the postseason. 

On 3/24/2023 at 4:22 PM, Dingus McGirt said:

I think the only fair way this would work is for money paid on gaurantee contacts to players that get injured a cap hit relief percentage is given.

Archived