Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Austin Ekeler to the Colts as a Receiver/McCaffrey/Swiss-Army-Knife Type?

philba101

I have long advocated that the Colts need to add more production to this offense particularly at the Wider Receiver position. As we saw last year the WR market exploded with top players like Tyreek Hill moving to the $30M salary range. I expect Justin Jefferson's new contract to eclipse that and push the WR salary market even higher. My proposal is that the Colts find a way to acquire Austin Ekeler who is currently seeking a trade and use him much like San Francisco uses Christian McCaffrey. Looking at the current list of wide receivers still available in the free agent market, I find very few good options who can add significant production and help our team. Ekeler, however, is different. Over the past two seasons, Ekeler has accumulated 1,826 rushing yds, and 25 rushing TD's; additionally he accumulated another 1,369 receiving yards and 13 more receiving TD's. That is a grand total of 3,195 all purpose yards, and 38 TD's in two years. That is amazing production. How amazing? His 107 receptions last year was the 4th most in the league for all offensive players, just behind Stephon Diggs and Travis Kelce. That number was also more than any Colts receiver has accumulated in one season since Reggie Wayne had 111 in 2010 (T.Y. Never reached that number in a season his entire career). His 13 receiving TD's over the last two years is better than any Colts receiver. Ekeler's estimated market value is 12.82M/year for the next three years. Ekeler currently makes $6M/year and states that he is playing for about half his value. Perhaps he would play on a 3-year/$36M contract. A paltry $12/year is an absolute steal for that kind of receiving production alone, not to mention all the production he adds on the ground.

We have a lot of creative posters on this forum. We have several salary cap experts. I want to hear your ideas on how the Colts could possibly make this work. Can you imagine how great having Austin Ekeler as a check-down, release valve for a rookie QB would be? We know that coach Sirianni and Steichen used RB's extensively in Philadelphia the past two years. Imagine what kind of schemes Steichen and Cooter could run with Taylor and Ekeler in the backfield. I have listed the obstacles the Colts would have to overcome below. Can anybody make this work for me? I look forward to your responses. 

Obstacles:

1. Pay Pittman

2. Pay JT

3. Compensation to get Ekeler

4. Pay Ekeler

5. Integrate Taylor and Ekeler

No ,  you can get a RB with a similar skillset in Ekeler via draft. It doesn’t make sense to pay premium dollar for Ekeler when you have someone with the talents of JT in your backfield. That money can be used to pay our guys that we would like to retain. Or another FA that can contribute. 

1 minute ago, ProblChld32 said:

No ,  you can get a RB with a similar skillset in Ekeler via draft. It doesn’t make sense to pay premium dollar for Ekeler when you have someone with the talents of JT in your backfield. That money can be used to pay our guys that we would like to retain. Or another FA that can contribute. 

We are not acquiring him to play a traditional RB role. That would be all on Taylor now. Think McCaffrey, think Deebo Samuel, think WR production.

7 minutes ago, philba101 said:

We are not acquiring him to play a traditional RB role. That would be all on Taylor now. Think McCaffrey, think Deebo Samuel, think WR production.

Deebo Samuel is a WR not a RB. He lines up at RB from time to time but that is not his primary position. C-Mac is a RB not a receiver. If you want to sign someone to play receiver you go sign or trade for a receiver. Acquiring Ekeler would be a * poor decision. Out of the 50 times that Ekeler lined up out wide he had a total of 4 receptions for 31 yards all of his receiving yards come primarily out of the backfield. Why pay an aging back top dollar to do what an UDFA or a draft acquisition can do? It doesn’t make sense!

56 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Deebo Samuel is a WR not a RB. He lines up at RB from time to time but that is not his primary position. C-Mac is a RB not a receiver. If you want to sign someone to play receiver you go sign or trade for a receiver. Acquiring Ekeler would be a * poor decision. Out of the 50 times that Ekeler lined up out wide he had a total of 4 receptions for 31 yards all of his receiving yards come primarily out of the backfield. Why pay an aging back top dollar to do what an UDFA or a draft acquisition can do? It doesn’t make sense!

Because know drafted RB or available free agent for that matter has proven that they can produce on this level. Name one current  FA agent who could bring the offensive production value of Ekeler for $12M/year. Everyone is thinking of him as RB and not as an offensive weapon. We haven't had a Colts receiver collect 107 receptions since Reggie Wayne in 2010. T.Y. Hilton never reached that amount in a single year. That is just one phase of this guy's arsenal. He scored 20 total TD's in one season.

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

I have long advocated that the Colts need to add more production to this offense particularly at the Wider Receiver position. As we saw last year the WR market exploded with top players like Tyreek Hill moving to the $30M salary range. I expect Justin Jefferson's new contract to eclipse that and push the WR salary market even higher. My proposal is that the Colts find a way to acquire Austin Ekeler who is currently seeking a trade and use him much like San Francisco uses Christian McCaffrey. Looking at the current list of wide receivers still available in the free agent market, I find very few good options who can add significant production and help our team. Ekeler, however, is different. Over the past two seasons, Ekeler has accumulated 1,826 rushing yds, and 25 rushing TD's; additionally he accumulated another 1,369 receiving yards and 13 more receiving TD's. That is a grand total of 3,195 all purpose yards, and 38 TD's in two years. That is amazing production. How amazing? His 107 receptions last year was the 4th most in the league for all offensive players, just behind Stephon Diggs and Travis Kelce. That number was also more than any Colts receiver has accumulated in one season since Reggie Wayne had 111 in 2010 (T.Y. Never reached that number in a season his entire career). His 13 receiving TD's over the last two years is better than any Colts receiver. Ekeler's estimated market value is 12.82M/year for the next three years. Ekeler currently makes $6M/year and states that he is playing for about half his value. Perhaps he would play on a 3-year/$36M contract. A paltry $12/year is an absolute steal for that kind of receiving production alone, not to mention all the production he adds on the ground.

We have a lot of creative posters on this forum. We have several salary cap experts. I want to hear your ideas on how the Colts could possibly make this work. Can you imagine how great having Austin Ekeler as a check-down, release valve for a rookie QB would be? We know that coach Sirianni and Steichen used RB's extensively in Philadelphia the past two years. Imagine what kind of schemes Steichen and Cooter could run with Taylor and Ekeler in the backfield. I have listed the obstacles the Colts would have to overcome below. Can anybody make this work for me? I look forward to your responses. 

Obstacles:

1. Pay Pittman

2. Pay JT

4. Pay Ekeler

Unpopular opinion: I’d rather we sign Ekeler than Pittman or JT. 

Obstacles:

1. Pay Pittman

2. Pay JT

4. Pay Ekeler

Obstacles:

1. Pay Pittman

2. Pay JT

4. Pay Ekeler

Where is Ekler going to get the snaps?  

Every snap he plays is a snap JT doesn’t.  
Ekler is not a full time receiver.   To the best of my knowledge, he’s not a part-time receiver.   His receptions come from being RB1.   That’s how the Chargers use him.   His versatility is his secret sauce.  

And your list of obstacles is practically big enough to resemble the Great Wall of China!   Visible from outer space.  ENORMOUS! 

Sorry, but I think this idea is DOA. 

Dead.   On.   Arrival.    

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Unpopular opinion: I’d rather we sign Ekeler than Pittman or JT. 

What if we could have 2 or all three? Think of the possibilities. The Niners have McCaffrey, Deebo, and Kittle and Aiyuk? Why can't we have Taylor, Ekeler, and Pittman. We will hopefully have QB on a rookie salary and 1 of our receivers is on a rookie salary as well. We will need to make cuts in other areas. The Niners didn't trade for McCaffrey just because he is a good RB, they traded for him because he is a versatile offensive weapon.

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Thank you.   Bless you.   

You said it much better than I did.    :worthy:   

7 minutes ago, philba101 said:

What if we could have 2 or all three? Think of the possibilities. The Niners have McCaffrey, Deebo, and Kittle and Aiyuk? Why can't we have Taylor, Ekeler, and Pittman. We will hopefully have QB on a rookie salary and 1 of our receivers is on a rookie salary as well. We will need to make cuts in other areas. The Niners didn't trade for McCaffrey just because he is a good RB, they traded for him because he is a versatile offensive weapon.

Possibly. I’m not really sold on either one. When our new QB is ready JT will have his best years behind him - he could be done. Pittman is still a WR2 in my opinion and Pierce could fill that role too. We need a true WR1. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where is Ekler going to get the snaps?  

Every snap he plays is a snap JT doesn’t.  
Ekler is not a full time receiver.   To the best of my knowledge, he’s not a part-time receiver.   His receptions come from being RB1.   That’s how the Chargers use him.   His versatility is his secret sauce.  

And your list of obstacles is practically big enough to resemble the Great Wall of China!   Visible from outer space.  ENORMOUS! 

Sorry, but I think this idea is DOA. 

Dead.   On.   Arrival.    

I don't know. How did he get 107 receptions and 722 receiving yards in the Chargers offense? Those are better numbers than any Colts receiver. On top of that had 204 carries for another 915 yds. How is a guy accumulating 1,600 yards from scrimmage and 18 TD's just a RB? He is multi-faceted, offensive weapon. It is called spreading the ball around. Maybe we should just give the ball to JT 350 times a year and wear him out before he is eligible for a new contract. What do the Niners do with all of their weapons (Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, and McCaffrey)? They put the ball in the hands of their playmakers on offense, and play solid, physical defense. How do you think Brock Purdy looked so good last year? Do you really think he is the next Brady?

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

What's the name of the draft RB and/or available FA that can put up 1,600 all-purpose yards and 18 TD's for $12M/year? We should sign or draft them ASAP.

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Possibly. I’m not really sold on either one. When our new QB is ready JT will have his best years behind him - he could be done. Pittman is still a WR2 in my opinion and Pierce could fill that role too. We need a true WR1. 

I don't disagree that we need a true WR1, but as I look at the draft and FA agents available, I don't see anybody WR or otherwise who can offer the production value of Ekeler.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

Obstacles:

1. Pay Pittman

2. Pay JT

4. Pay Ekeler

I wouldnt mind Ekeler. Would have to be RBBC. Not foreign to JT but hes used to getting all the love now so it could be an obstacle.

18 minutes ago, philba101 said:

What's the name of the draft RB and/or available FA that can put up 1,600 all-purpose yards and 18 TD's for $12M/year? We should sign or draft them ASAP.

Let’s see via draft there is Gibbs who can be acquired for a early pick day two. Kendre Miller who can be had late day two. From a free agent standpoint you can go get McKinnon or Hunt. Both who are solid receiving options. The problem with your suggestion is Ekeler is their STARTING back you’re suggesting us using him only as a receiver. Do you understand how the defensive coaches can game plan for that? everytime Ekeler comes in they’re likely going to plan for a passing situation. Secondly coming in strictly as a role player he will never be a able to get anywhere near that production because his snaps are going to be drastically reduced with JT as the primary ball carrier. So again you’re suggesting paying Ekeler 12m / year to do what exactly?

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wouldnt mind Ekeler. Would have to be RBBC. Not foreign to JT but hes used to getting all the love now so it could be an obstacle.

Maybe it could extend Taylor's shelf life long enough to give productive play through his next contract. Having too many weapons can be a good thing. This is not something we have been able to say about the Colts in recent years. As much as I love JT, Ekeler is a different type of weapon. JT has never caught more than 40 passes in a season and wouldn't need to with Ekeler on board. Ekeler is almost catching as many passes as Travis Kelce; those are crazy reception numbers for an RB.

58 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Because know drafted RB or available free agent for that matter has proven that they can produce on this level. Name one current  FA agent who could bring the offensive production value of Ekeler for $12M/year. Everyone is thinking of him as RB and not as an offensive weapon. We haven't had a Colts receiver collect 107 receptions since Reggie Wayne in 2010. T.Y. Hilton never reached that amount in a single year. That is just one phase of this guy's arsenal. He scored 20 total TD's in one season.

you do realize that if he comes to Indianapolis he will never see the volume of targets he got as he did with the Chargers? So you providing the stat line of how many receptions and or all purpose yards and TDs he’s had is pointless. That will diminish in Indianapolis in a reduced role. 

Why don't we see what the new QB and new HC will do with Pittman, JT, Pierce, Woods, Granson, McKenzie, Ogletree, Zach Moss before deciding if we need more additions? We are talking like we will be stuck in mud like the Frank's offense and Steichen won't bring anything extra to take full advantage of everything we already have. I'd like to know what we have first to decide what we don't have.

Will our OL take the jump to give us time for long developing routes? Will our TEs show improvement across years? Year 2 is when most skill positions show improvement - so Pierce, Ogletree, Woods, and to an extent even Zach Moss should be showcasing everything they have. 

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't see Ballard paying him what he will want.   I don't see the Chargers giving him away either.   He is a great player though

You are probably right about Ballard, but maybe it is time for him to depart from what he has always done. Compensation would be tough for the Colts. Maybe we could package some players and some picks to get it done.

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

I prefer a RBBC myself. Not so feasible if we have plans to pay JT like hes Edgerrin James.

37 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I don't disagree that we need a true WR1, but as I look at the draft and FA agents available, I don't see anybody WR or otherwise who can offer the production value of Ekeler.

Unless there's some clear deficiency on the roster this year I really hope we draft a WR in round one in '24. I like Ekeler a lot, but he'll probably have the same problem for us as JT does - his best years will be behind him when our QB is ready. That said, I'd still prefer Ekeler over JT.

56 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I don't know. How did he get 107 receptions and 722 receiving yards in the Chargers offense? Those are better numbers than any Colts receiver. On top of that had 204 carries for another 915 yds. How is a guy accumulating 1,600 yards from scrimmage and 18 TD's just a RB? He is multi-faceted, offensive weapon. It is called spreading the ball around. Maybe we should just give the ball to JT 350 times a year and wear him out before he is eligible for a new contract. What do the Niners do with all of their weapons (Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, and McCaffrey)? They put the ball in the hands of their playmakers on offense, and play solid, physical defense. How do you think Brock Purdy looked so good last year? Do you really think he is the next Brady?

Im not disagreeing with ANY of your stats.   I’m only saying Ekler gets about 99% of those stats as RB1.     

If you’re talking about REPLACING Taylor with Ekler THAT’S a different argument.  But you were talking about having both.  That’s what I was responding to.  

15 minutes ago, philba101 said:

You are right, I wonder what Steichen could scheme up with a pass-catching back like that?

Difference is LA has Williams and Allen as receiver threats

Steichen would put him to use, I just don't see Ekeler ever being shipped here

19 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Let’s see via draft there is Gibbs who can be acquired for a early pick day two. Kendre Miller who can be had late day two. From a free agent standpoint you can go get McKinnon or Hunt. Both who are solid receiving options. The problem with your suggestion is Ekeler is their STARTING back you’re suggesting us using him only as a receiver. Do you understand how the defensive coaches can game plan for that? everytime Ekeler comes in they’re likely going to plan for a passing situation. Secondly coming in strictly as a role player he will never be a able to get anywhere near that production because his snaps are going to be drastically reduced with JT as the primary ball carrier. So again you’re suggesting paying Ekeler 12m / year to do what exactly?

I am not saying this would be a seamless transition. The coaches could scheme up all kinds of running plays for Taylor and all kinds of running and passing plays for Ekeler. There is nothing saying you can't play both players at the same time. Are defenses as likely to load the box against Taylor if Ekeler is in the flat? It would take some Shanahan type scheming but it is not impossible. Maybe while defenses are trying to figure out how to cover Taylor, Ekeler, or Pittman, it would give our rookie QB (fingers crossed), some time to get comfortable and settle into the offense. Get the ball out of his hands quickly to weapons who can make plays.

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not disagreeing with ANY of your stats.   I’m only saying Ekler gets about 99% of those stats as RB1.     

If you’re talking about REPLACING Taylor with Ekler THAT’S a different argument.  But you were talking about having both.  That’s what I was responding to.  

There are a lot of options that could be explored. I didn't want to mention replacing Taylor as part of the post because I didn't want that to be the focus of it, but maybe the Colts could find a way to use both backs together. So, maybe instead of 300+ carries and a 2,000 yard regimen for Taylor, instead we get 1,200-1,500 all purpose yards from both. This saves on wear and tear for both players. Maybe if either gets a little banged up they can rest instead of playing through injuries like Taylor tried to do last year. If it gets too expensive or it doesn't look like both weapons could play together, then maybe you trade somebody at that point.

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

There are a lot of options that could be explored. I didn't want to mention replacing Taylor as part of the post because I didn't want that to be the focus of it, but maybe the Colts could find a way to use both backs together. So, maybe instead of 300 carries and a 2,000 yard regimen for Taylor, instead we get 1,200-1,500 all purpose yards from both. Maybe if either gets a little banged up they can rest instead of playing through injuries like Taylor tried to do last year

But you’d be paying a HUGE portion of your salary to two running backs.   I think that would be an inefficient use of cap space and an inefficient way to run an offense.  

Hey, I give great respect to SF.   I wasn’t a big fan of either Samuel or Aiyuck, and how they make it all fit is a real tribute to Kyle Shannahan.   I tip my hat to them.  :hat:

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But you’d be paying a HUGE portion of your salary to two running backs.   I think that would be an inefficient use of cap space and an inefficient way to run an offense.  

Hey, I give great respect to SF.   I wasn’t a big fan of either Samuel or Aiyuck, and how they make it all fit is a real tribute to Kyle Shannahan.   I tip my hat to them.  :hat:

I get what you are saying, why pour money into running backs when they are less valued than ever? But Ekeler is different in that he is the best/one of the best RB pass catchers in the league (4th in receptions last year). We can pay a kicker $22.5M dollars over four years and a DT $9M per year, why can't we pay an elite pass-catching back $12M? How much would it cost us to sign a healthy OBJ or DJ Chark? When was the last time either one of those guys put up 1,600 all purpose yards and 18 TD's. Maybe that would mean trading players away. We have three current players who will make more than $19M against the cap this year (one of them barely played last year). Maybe one of those players needs to be traded or released. Does Buckner want to stick around for three years while the Colts rebuild? If this team doesn't ever get out of these rigid parameters that it is in living in, then I am not sure it is going to get better any time soon.

Colts among top 5 trade destinations for Austin Ekeler! Interesting take from SI Writer Gilberto Manzano.

Why it makes sense: Yes, Jonathan Taylor plays for the Colts, but don’t overlook Ekeler’s wanting to play in a backfield committee. It might be No. 2 on his wish list, besides the guaranteed money. He has spent the past few seasons pleading for another Chargers running back to step up, which has been an issue since Gordon’s departure—a little irony. But Ekeler knows his 5'10", 200-pound frame can’t withstand more years of being the lead back. He needs fewer touches, which might sound strange, but he’s probably the most efficient playmaker in the NFL. Also, Colts coach Shane Steichen saw firsthand the rise of Ekeler as a former Chargers offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. And sticking with the theme, Ekeler would help a rookie quarterback—or maybe Lamar Jackson? (Why not, Indy? But one trade at a time.)

The fantasy football community won’t like this scenario of Taylor and Ekeler in the same backfield, but Ekeler would probably embrace it. Paying two running backs is not ideal, but the Colts haven’t committed to Taylor for a second contract. Maybe the Colts would send Dallas’s fifth-round pick from the Gilmore trade to the Chargers, but it might cost them more as they reside in the AFC.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/15/austin-ekeler-chargers-trade-candidates-fits#gid=ci02ba494e500027df&pid=5

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Why don't we see what the new QB and new HC will do with Pittman, JT, Pierce, Woods, Granson, McKenzie, Ogletree, Zach Moss before deciding if we need more additions? We are talking like we will be stuck in mud like the Frank's offense and Steichen won't bring anything extra to take full advantage of everything we already have. I'd like to know what we have first to decide what we don't have.

Will our OL take the jump to give us time for long developing routes? Will our TEs show improvement across years? Year 2 is when most skill positions show improvement - so Pierce, Ogletree, Woods, and to an extent even Zach Moss should be showcasing everything they have. 

It will be interesting to see what Steichen will do with this offense. He sounds like he a super-aggressive guy so we will see how different the offense looks compared to what Reich was running.

I am not saying this would be a seamless transition. The coaches could scheme up all kinds of running plays for Taylor and all kinds of running and passing plays for Ekeler. There is nothing saying you can't play both players at the same time. Are defenses as likely to load the box against Taylor if Ekeler is in the flat? It would take some Shanahan type scheming but it is not impossible. Maybe while defenses are trying to figure out how to cover Taylor, Ekeler, or Pittman, it would give our rookie QB (fingers crossed), some time to get comfortable and settle into the offense. Get the ball out of his hands quickly to weapons who can make plays.

How often did you see a two backfield set in Philadelphia? It was very rare , they run a one back set for the most part. So what you’re asking is pretty outlandish. Pay a aging back 12 mill a year and implement an entirely new offense. For a guy who’s likely going to be on the field maybe 30-40% of the time . 

4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

our new hc will find a way to use both at the same time

Archived