Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jets lose out on Carr and Jimmy G while they wait for Rodgers lol.

I would love it if Rodgers decided to finish his career with the Packers and we trade for Love.  And by FWIW Love should not be considered a retread.  The term retread refers to old tires being turned in when the tread wore out and new tread was added.  They actually did that years ago and you could purchase retread tires for your car.  Love’s tires have barely been on the road.  So he really doesn’t fit the definition of a retread.  He just hasn’t played.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Who can you cut? 

We have already cut Adam Thielen and Eric Kendricks. We have talked about cutting Harrison Smith and Zadarius Smith. We probably will not keep Dalvin Tomlinson.  Our right tackle is up there in salary, but he is young and we want to keep him. I wish we could cut Cousins. 

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is others reporting it.

The players (Breece Hall, Sauce Gardner) are posting that it may be done. Fans on Gang Green Nation seem to think it is done. They wrote that Trey Wingo has reported it. 

I should turn on sports radio here. I have not listened in about 5 years. I used to listen every day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

We have already cut Adam Thielen and Eric Kendricks. We have talked about cutting Harrison Smith and Zadarius Smith. We probably will not keep Dalvin Tomlinson.  Our right tackle is up there in salary, but he is young and we want to keep him. I wish we could cut Cousins. 

You guys seem like you are in salary cap hell... :/

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The players are reacting to Wingo's report... 

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think that may be fake, No?. Btw, I meant to tell you that there is a fake Tom Pelissero account. It has only one S in the last name. 

From what I've read, Dov Kleiman isn't an NFL insider at all. Just a guy that set notifications on Twitter for all of the NFL insiders, tweets info they already put out, and just credits who he got it from instead of retweeting it. It makes him look like he's a news source, when he's doing nothing but taking news others have broken, making it appear as an original tweet, with a small credit at the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

You guys seem like you are in salary cap hell... :/

For sure. The Saints are in even worse shape. I don't understand how they signed Carr. I once had a mathematic mind but the math involved with the NFL salary cap seems to confuse me. How do teams that are already over the cap sign other players to these lucrative contracts like Carr's? 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

For sure. The Saints are in even worse shape. I don't understand how they signed Carr. I once had a mathematic mind but the math involved with the NFL salary cap seems to confuse me. How do teams that are already over the cap sign other players to these lucrative contracts like Carr's? 

Yeah, I understand there is restructuring and such, but some teams seem to have an endless amount of money, even after signing huge contracts consistently. Apparently the Colts haven’t figured it out, either. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm not sure but I think they don't need to be under the cap now. They need to be under the cap at cut-down day before the start of the season. Until then they can trade players, cut, restructure contracts in order to go under the cap.  (edit: this is wrong... they actually need to be under the cap by the 15th of March)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

But they could not keep Tyreek Hill. 

obvious, right? 

you can't keep paying everyone or signing everyone in free agency with the salary cap, especially top of the position super stars like Tyreek Hill. 

I don't want to take away the point @Jared Cisnerosmade. Chiefs are making very prudent moves right early in free agency, for protecting their franchise QB.

Free Agency splurge is not wrong, but very helpful when done in a calculated manner, that accentuates the strength of the team. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shive said:

From what I've read, Dov Kleiman isn't an NFL insider at all. Just a guy that set notifications on Twitter for all of the NFL insiders, tweets info they already put out, and just credits who he got it from instead of retweeting it. It makes him look like he's a news source, when he's doing nothing but taking news others have broken, making it appear as an original tweet, with a small credit at the end.

Okay. Thank you for sharing that. I don't know him.

All the guys that have credibility are not reporting this. But Jets players and the fans seem to be under the impression that this is done. As @stitches wrote, Trey Wingo reported that he was hearing it was a done deal. 

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

They restructure and push the money way into the future. And convert certain bonuses to other bonuses and incentives etc. eventually, though, they end up out of options. Usually 3-4 years of doing that. Saints are getting very close to that. Honestly, if it weren’t for the cap going up each year, the saints would have been out of options this year. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

I thought that too but how are the Saints going to get under the cap. 

See above

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

You might be right. I just checked some article and it seems like they need to be under the cap by 4 p.m. ET on March 15, 2023... 

I didn't know that... 

it’s actually Wednesday, used to be the day before the first day of the league year, now it’s the day of 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yeah, I understand there is restructuring and such, but some teams seem to have an endless amount of money, even after signing huge contracts consistently. Apparently the Colts haven’t figured it out, either. 

The Rams did that the year they won the SB. They seemed to have unlimited cap space. 

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

The Rams did that the year they won the SB. They seemed to have unlimited cap space. 

It is called converting salaries to signing bonuses. They get marquee players to agree to that, and generate cap space.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Eventually it has to catch up to teams. No?

It will. That is why they don't do it too much. You need to have enough years to spread it across years as that signing bonus gets pushed into future years. The player gets their money but if they get released, the money being pushed into the future would count as dead cap. A guy like Watson who still has 4 years of guaranteed money has enough years to push it into the future.

A retirement like that of Brady's, because money is pushed into the future similarly, puts you in a pickle for a year or two, in really bad cap shape. But once that is done, you are back to an even playing field.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would love it if Rodgers decided to finish his career with the Packers and we trade for Love.  And by FWIW Love should not be considered a retread.  The term retread refers to old tires being turned in when the tread wore out and new tread was added.  They actually did that years ago and you could purchase retread tires for your car.  Love’s tires have barely been on the road.  So he really doesn’t fit the definition of a retread.  He just hasn’t played.

Don't the tires wore out and need a new tread if I park the car in same place for 3/4 years? 

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't get it. We are $6 million plus over the cap. I guess we will be cutting some more players before Wednesday. 

yeah, not sure if they needed to pay another TE, even if a good Blocking one, when they can't pay Theilen. 

I think they're over estimating Cousins and underestimating how much Theilen has helped Cousins and JJ find the connection. Now they will need to find a real good WR, or Cousins will go into his shell soon. By that time though, Cousins would've earned another payday, so he won't play like last year anyway. 

New GM and HC are going to be surprised this coming season. 

• Like 1