Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King's draft rumors for the Colts

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/22/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1szukCjIR

The Colts would love to pick Stanford tight end Coby Fleener at No. 34, atop round two, but I think they'll have bigger fish to fry. Indianapolis is transitioning to the 3-4 defense without a lot of players to play it. GM Ryan Grigson has been working hard to find players who will fit new coach Chuck Pagano's 3-4, which would take a couple of years of player procurement. When you've been a defense built for speed for so long, and now you're going to a defense built for bulk, that's a major transition. So I don't see Indy, despite its affection for Fleener, continuing to team him with quarterback Andrew Luck. By the way, how odd is it that both Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis could be 3-4 outside 'backers after careers at defensive end? I've got to think Freeney, at least, is itching for a draft-weekend trade.

eh Fleener is overrated we can get Dwayne Allen in the 3rd or Ladarius Green in the 4th and keep our picks or we can trade our 3rd round pick to get Fleener and get wide receiver in the 4th and with our second 5th round pick but I would rather draft Dwayne Allen or Green and keep our picks, thoughts?

Ya, Fleener is 6' 6" and faster than half of the WR's in this draft. He is the unanimous top TE in the draft.

Does Indy have a "legitimate" TE on the roster? No. \

I want Indy to take the BPA, but to just blow Fleener off as "over rated" and not worth a top pick is silly.when TE is arguably the teams top position of need. TE or CB?

And a great pass rush is the "BEST PASS DEFENSE"

Ya, Fleener is 6' 6" and faster than half of the WR's in this draft. He is the unanimous top TE in the draft.

Does Indy have a "legitimate" TE on the roster? No. \

I want Indy to take the BPA, but to just blow Fleener off as "over rated" and not worth a top pick is silly.when TE is arguably the teams top position of need. TE or CB?

And a great pass rush is the "BEST PASS DEFENSE"

Compared to the other talent that would (or should) be available at 34 I'd personally rather pass on Fleener.

Who do you think will be there at 34 that we need more than Fleener?

Janoris Jenkins a Corner or a Guard, we can get a Tight End in the third or 4th Ladarius Green or Dwayne Allen in the 3rd would be good, Guards Cordy Glenn maybe, Zeitler, Silatolu, Osemele

Janoris Jenkins a Corner or a Guard, we can get a Tight End in the third or 4th Ladarius Green or Dwayne Allen in the 3rd would be good, Guards Cordy Glenn maybe, Zeitler, Silatolu, Osemele

Jenkins -Huge red flag. I agree good corner, yes. But Jenkins? high risk. Could sink our battleship when he reverts to his true character.

Guard? No. Waste of high draft pick. They can be had lower rounds.

TE- like corner huge need for receiving TE. Maybe two. Eldridge is no receiving TE.

Field your best 22 first, then fill BPA is the way I feel.

Jenkins -Huge red flag. I agree good corner, yes. But Jenkins? high risk. Could sink our battleship when he reverts to his true character.

Guard? No. Waste of high draft pick. They can be had lower rounds.

TE- like corner huge need for receiving TE. Maybe two. Eldridge is no receiving TE.

Field your best 22 first, then fill BPA is the way I feel.

Me to and Jenkins could very well be that number 1 Corner, hes physical, reads quarterbacks eyes has speed and is as close as shutdown Corner as we will have on the team if we draft him, Fleener is nice but overhyped do to playing with Luck. their are 4-5 solid Guards in the draft I agree then again if by wild chance Brockers falls which 99 percent chance that wont happen then Id like to get him and I would pass on Jenkins for Hosley in that case or who knows its possible Jenkins will fall to the 3rd I just dont see it, we could get two tight Ends actually if we went Ladarius Green in the 4th and Nick Provo in the 7th with one of our picks

Am I missing something here but everyone is saying that Fleener is overrated because he played with Luck for Stanford and without him he wouldn't be as effective but the fact is that come Thursday night, We will have Andrew Luck as our starting QB so surely Fleener is a perfect fit. The TE class is not exactly brimming with talent this year and with Eldridge being an effective player but not a major receiver, Fleener is exactly what we need. I personally will be delighted if Fleener falls to us.

I really don't see many players that could fall in the 2nd round that I rate much higher than Fleener. WR there are solid starters that can be had in rounds 3-5. I am really not much of a fan of any of the 2nd round rated corners. The DTs that we would need should still be available in 3rd round or later. So as long as Hill or Wright don't fall to this pick, which I can't see happening, Fleener seems like a no brainer.

I really don't see many players that could fall in the 2nd round that I rate much higher than Fleener. WR there are solid starters that can be had in rounds 3-5. I am really not much of a fan of any of the 2nd round rated corners. The DTs that we would need should still be available in 3rd round or later. So as long as Hill or Wright don't fall to this pick, which I can't see happening, Fleener seems like a no brainer.

what about a 1st round Corner that falls to the second (Janoris Jenkins)

what about a 1st round Corner that falls to the second (Janoris Jenkins)

Jenkins is completely off my board. The kid has too many red flags and I would much rather wait until round 4ish and pick up Leonard Johnson, who might not be as physically gifted as jenkins, but doesn't have the red flags and is a VERY good man up corner.

Completely off my fake draft board.

At this point, we need reliability and I don't think you get that with Jenkins.

at this point I dont think he gets it either I would get him in the third if he happens to be their but Im not so sure in the second anymore

at this point I dont think he gets it either I would get him in the third if he happens to be their but Im not so sure in the second anymore

I still wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 1st to a place like NE who doesn't have a lot of needs, has extra picks to roll the dice with, and has the internal leadership to have the highest chance of success of getting Jenkins to turn the corner.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 1st to a place like NE who doesn't have a lot of needs, has extra picks to roll the dice with, and has the internal leadership to have the highest chance of success of getting Jenkins to turn the corner.

but if he is still their I would spend every minute on that clock debating it

but if he is still their I would spend every minute on that clock debating it

Not for me. For us, at this time, with a new coach and a young team, he's off the board. Doesn't exist.

He may pan out, just not worth the risk for us now, IMO

Not for me. For us, at this time, with a new coach and a young team, he's off the board. Doesn't exist.

He may pan out, just not worth the risk for us now, IMO

Me neither. this board talks too much about Jenkins. I don't know why, cause we won't take him. I'm sure of that. People think only Dungy wanted "good" guys but Irsay likes good guys, too.

that would be amazing Chad!!! I would EASILY chose him over Fleener.

Think about this Swifty. We never thought Castanzo would fall to us, at least most of us did not.

Similarly, in this draft, if the Vikes go Morris Claiborne over Matt Kalil, Matt Kalil slides. So, a team targeting Riley Reiff in the top 15 will probably have a shot at Matt Kalil, so Riley Reiff slides. Enter Ryan Tannehill as a 3rd QB and Brandon Weeden later as a 4th QB, more people slide. Then, all of a sudden, the Steelers and Ravens may have a shot at Riley Reiff, Dontari Poe and Kevin Zeitler kinds when they pick. Then, you have a run on pass rushers and OLBs with the Packers and Patriots (or Packers draft Konz to be groomed behind Saturday). Then, Giants go O-line or TE or even WR. The one team that can terminate the slide is the Texans - they lost DeMeco Ryans, so they can go Donta, or they can go Dontari Poe, or they can go Coby Fleener.

The Texans, Steelers and Ravens are the 3 teams pretty critical to who the Colts get their hands on w.r.t NT, OG and ILB positions, IMO, and the Texans or Giants on the TE front. 49ers can tilt the O-line balance too.

Then, you suddenly could be staring at Donta at No.34. Anything is definitely possible.

Grigson was there when the Eagles brought in Vick and were considering Plax. Pagano and the Ravens drafted the CB from Colorado who also had character issues, just cause a lot of you personally feel his issues are too much doesn't mean the FO does

Grigson has already said though, that he wants players that will do the right thing when they aren't looking(paraphrasing). To me, that pretty much takes Jenkins out of the equation.

Grigson was there when the Eagles brought in Vick and were considering Plax. Pagano and the Ravens drafted the CB from Colorado who also had character issues, just cause a lot of you personally feel his issues are too much doesn't mean the FO does

Eagles had McNabb and other vets when Vick was brought in, Ravens have a lot of vets on D as well that would keep trouble makers in line as well. If we had a long term plan for Freeney, then yes. Otherwise, Mathis and Bethea, not sure if I can call them the "take a player under their wing" kind of vets in our team. Our No.34 is like a glorified #1 pick, hence being spent on Jenkins for what could be a potentially young team across the board (secondary especially with Powers, Thomas, Rucker for CBs etc.) is a bigger risk than the other instances mentioned. But that is just my opinion. Let us not forget Rucker had his share of issues at Michigan State too, so we need to minimize the risk on our roster. :)

I personally feel that the Steelers and Ravens will go OG and/or NT, and if Donta Hightower gets past those two teams, in all likelihood, he is ours :).

Thought had crossed my mind too and I was reminded of it this AM by this:

http://www.indystar....news|text|Colts

He seems to be a late 1st round pick, but a little miss here and there and if he makes it out of day 1, the Rams certainly aren't taking him.

Think about this Swifty. We never thought Castanzo would fall to us, at least most of us did not.

Similarly, in this draft, if the Vikes go Morris Claiborne over Matt Kalil, Matt Kalil slides. So, a team targeting Riley Reiff in the top 15 will probably have a shot at Matt Kalil, so Riley Reiff slides. Enter Ryan Tannehill as a 3rd QB and Brandon Weeden later as a 4th QB, more people slide. Then, all of a sudden, the Steelers and Ravens may have a shot at Riley Reiff, Dontari Poe and Kevin Zeitler kinds when they pick. Then, you have a run on pass rushers and OLBs with the Packers and Patriots (or Packers draft Konz to be groomed behind Saturday). Then, Giants go O-line or TE or even WR. The one team that can terminate the slide is the Texans - they lost DeMeco Ryans, so they can go Donta, or they can go Dontari Poe, or they can go Coby Fleener.

The Texans, Steelers and Ravens are the 3 teams pretty critical to who the Colts get their hands on w.r.t NT, OG and ILB positions, IMO, and the Texans or Giants on the TE front. 49ers can tilt the O-line balance too.

Then, you suddenly could be staring at Donta at No.34. Anything is definitely possible.

you should add the broncos there...if Hightower is there for the broncos I think they take him. i dont think brockers/poe/cox/ or any of those DT will be available iand i dont think they see any other DT worht of their pick, they might wait untill the second to take someone like thompson

remember, DJ Williams is suspended for the first 6 games

you should add the broncos there...if Hightower is there for the broncos I think they take him. i dont think brockers/poe/cox/ or any of those DT will be available iand i dont think they see any other DT worht of their pick, they might wait untill the second to take someone like thompson

remember, DJ Williams is suspended for the first 6 games

You are right, I forgot about D.J.Williams being suspended.

Perfect scenario is Brockers is still there for them to pick and everything goes right for Hightower to drop to us :).

Betting that Brockers will fall to 34, think I'm stupid now but you shall see

That's not stupid at all to think an elite prospect might drop. Personally I am hoping for one of the 'Bama backers to drop, Upshaw or Hightower.

While I like Brockers, Ta'amu has grown on me a lot, especially in the 3rd, but you're right, Brockers would be impossible to pass on @34.

BPA regardless!

We can get TE's in the 4th (Charles/Green), 5th (Egnew/Peterson), 6th (Hanna, Ford), or 7th (Koger) rds.

i feel that fleener is overrated to go as a mid first round pick, right around where we are picking is about his value and if he were there and def was the BPA id take him, id still rather Janoris Jenkins, Stephen Hill or a definite first rd talent if they happen to slip to us, but i think alot of ppl saying he is overrated are saying this because everyone is rating him so high when in reality at our pick he is about where he should be picked

That's not stupid at all to think an elite prospect might drop. Personally I am hoping for one of the 'Bama backers to drop, Upshaw or Hightower.

While I like Brockers, Ta'amu has grown on me a lot, especially in the 3rd, but you're right, Brockers would be impossible to pass on @34.

BPA regardless!

We can get TE's in the 4th (Charles/Green), 5th (Egnew/Peterson), 6th (Hanna, Ford), or 7th (Koger) rds.

Brockers, according to various sources, was the number 1 player to workout for teams. If he drops, then it's because he isn't that good. If he is good, he will be taken top 10-15.

Fleener at #34 coupled with Luck would be a coup and would instantly make our offense a legit NFL Offense without even adding another reciever..........this is a no brainer! How many of you would have taken 34-667-10 stat line from our starting tightend last year?

If Fleener is taken (coupled with the 3 OLinemen already added via FA) it would be Wayne-Collie-Fleener-Avery with Luck throwing them the rock..........that pick would allow the FO focus almost solely on defense the rest of the draft!