Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting RDE and NT in 3-4?

gthatch15

Obviously the Colts are going to see if they can pick up any more quality D-Linemen in the draft or maybe free agency, but if the Colts were going to go into the season right now, who would be the starters on our D-Line? Moala or Nevis at RDE and McKinney or Johnson at NT

I am guessing McKinney is familiar with the system on defense so he is probably starter week 1 at NT (for now).

As for the RDE, It's between Nevis and Moala. Moala is more experienced in the 3-4 system so it would make more sense if he was the starter.

Moala and Redding at DE. McKinney at NT. Probably we draft a project for playing behind McKinney for the NT rotation, it is probably a safe bet, even if it is later rounds.

AJ will play NT in 4 man fronts, which we will use a lot of. Nevis will play UT in the 4 man fronts.

3-4 fronts (less in number): Moala and Redding at DE, McKinney and a project at NT, Freeney, Mathis, Hughes and a draft pick at OLB plus one of the CFL guys we picked up, Angerer, Conner and a draft pick at ILB.

4-3 fronts (more in number): AJ at NT, Nevis at UT, Freeney and Mathis at DE, the rest, we probably know from years past

Obviously the Colts are going to see if they can pick up any more quality D-Linemen in the draft or maybe free agency, but if the Colts were going to go into the season right now, who would be the starters on our D-Line? Moala or Nevis at RDE and McKinney or Johnson at NT

McKinney would be the starter at NT Redding at LDE and Moala would probably get the RDE. With that said...we need another NT and an End.

Moala is not even productive he played in 14 games with just 22 tackles, Nevis just played in 5 games and had 19 tackles..I'll take productivity and a motor over experience anyday when it comes to football

Agreed.

And are we really going to play much 4-3? I'm assuming everyone who is saying "4-3 front" really means nickel packages.

Well Nevis was the starting RDE in minicamp today so there goes your answer how Pagano feels about it for right now. And i expect Nevis to keep that job its not even close between Nevis and Moala.

Where did you get the info that Nevis started at RDE in camp today? Did you hear any other info on players in camp today?

Where did you get the info that Nevis started at RDE in camp today? Did you hear any other info on players in camp today?

http://blogs.indysta...-with-a-roster/

yea he also says Antonio Johnson was starting at nose but i highly doubt that he stays the starter and Jerry Hughes is backing up Mathis at outside linebacker and Winston Justice starting at right tackle

I think this clearly highlights why we need defensive front 7 help. Nevis is a hard worker but to me Moala just doesn't get it. If he can't see that a guy with lesser talent is just outworking him and taking his job..well that doesn't speak well. Nevis is a great rotational guy because he makes the most of his time on the field but I would like to draft a DT to be our future there. We need LB and OLB/DE help to. Freeney is on the last year of his contract and you don't want to go into camp next year without someone groomed to replace him. Redding is getting up there in years. He is a good stop gap but will need replaced in a couple years too. Worthey or Brockers would be my preference at 34 to bolster the DL. Then we take a OG in round 3 and after that we can get our TE,WR,CB and some LB help.

As it stands right now it looks like this:

LDE: Cory Redding

NT: McKinney (with Mookie occasionally coming in)

RDE: They say that Moala would back up, but he has the most experience playing 3-4 on the Dline besides Redding.

Moala is not even productive he played in 14 games with just 22 tackles, Nevis just played in 5 games and had 19 tackles..I'll take productivity and a motor over experience anyday when it comes to football

Totally agree i also think Nevis has a better pass rushing ablity than Moala as well. LDE- Redding, NT McKinney, RDE-Nevis

Man I would love us to go hard on defense in this draft. Maybe mix a OG in round 3 and TE and WR late in rounds 6 and 7. Then next year look on the offensive side at future WRs and RB. I mean next year has a much better WR and RB class. Some great value we could get there. Even a nice TE class. I just think we are much weaker on the defensive side of the ball. On offense I think we can at least be competitive.