Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mini-camp report

dpete

Im sure wondering how or better yet, why they are expecting Johnson to beat a double team to help clog the run when he couldnt even beat one man in a 4-3, I dont look for it to last, I have no doubts we are gonna draft a Ta'amu, Hicks, or someone of that stature, Johnson is a defensive end in a 3-4 or defensive tackle in a 4-3 with better coaching at best, as for how long it lasts Id say about to the 3rd day of the draft at best

Very interesting article. If we could just find that CB to play opposite Powers then we might actually have a good defense. Starting line should be Castonzo-McGlynn-Satele-Ijalana-Justice IMO. Good group of big guys that will try to reinforce the run game. Only thing I can't wait to hear about is how our TE and WR situation will turn out

Im sure wondering how or better yet, why they are expecting Johnson to beat a double team to help clog the run when he couldnt even beat one man in a 4-3, I dont look for it to last, I have no doubts we are gonna draft a Ta'amu, Hicks, or someone of that stature, Johnson is a defensive end in a 3-4 or defensive tackle in a 4-3 with better coaching at best, as for how long it lasts Id say about to the 3rd day of the draft at best

Maybe, I'm miss-understanding but I didn't think a 3-4 NT had to beat a double team.

I thought the idea was to consume, or demand a double team.

Maybe, I'm miss-understanding but I didn't think a 3-4 NT had to beat a double team.

I thought the idea was to consume, or demand a double team.

You're correct, but most are doubtful Johnson demands a double team.

He cant Mookie will get owned as NT and the def line will get run over.If Mckinney doesnt start I'll be shocked.Mookie great motor like him just not a 3-4 NT.

Mookie will make a better 3-4 NT than he was a 4-3 DT. In the 4-3 you rely more on penetration and quickness off the snap, both of which he lacks. In the 3-4 you have to be strong and stand your ground in the face of a double team, which is something he is able to do. No, he is not Vince Wilfork, but if you ask me his ability is more suited to NT than penetrating DT.

Mookie will make a better 3-4 NT than he was a 4-3 DT. In the 4-3 you rely more on penetration and quickness off the snap, both of which he lacks. In the 3-4 you have to be strong and stand your ground in the face of a double team, which is something he is able to do. No, he is not Vince Wilfork, but if you ask me his ability is more suited to NT than penetrating DT.

I agree and I think Mookie takes a lot more flack on here than he deserves. Our entire system last year was flawed. They were calling a lot of stunting but when Mookie was up against a double team, more often than not he stood his ground.

The good 3-4 NT's face and take on double teams, the great ones beat double teams. I don't expect Mookie to become a great NT but think he can definitely be a good one.