Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

I think you need at least 2 full years to evaluate.

Rivers was different.  He had a really good first year then went into a sophmore slump his second year.  He then picked it back up his 3rd year.

I don't like what the Jets did with Zach Wilson in giving up on him after 1 year.  I hope the Colts don't do that.  1 year is too soon to tell.

I don't recall it that way: he was drafted & traded for in 2004, rode the pine behind Drew Brees for 2 seasons, his 1st year as a starter was 2006 and the Bolts went 14-2 and captured the AFC's #1 seed behind LT's MVP season, and in 2007, Rivers' 2nd season as a starter, he won 2 playoff games and led the Chargers to the AFC Championship game where they lost to the undefeated Patriots.  In 2008, only his 3rd year starting, Philip led the NFL in passer rating, touchdown passes & yards per attempt.

51 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Well I listed a few reasons, but I am sure the teams that have done this could provide a lot more. I am just saying it's a very real possibility that there will be a vet bridge QB starting for a few games. But we don't know what their plan is.

I can actually see good value in having Jacoby back again to help the young rook get acclimated. Hes good enough to push a young guy through camp and preseason. If the kid does well enough you let him start. If not then let Jacoby play a game or two so the kid can see how you prepare for games and what not.

42 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I don't recall it that way: he was drafted & traded for in 2004, rode the pine behind Drew Brees for 2 seasons, his 1st year as a starter was 2006 and the Bolts went 14-2 and captured the AFC's #1 seed behind LT's MVP season, and in 2007, Rivers' 2nd season as a starter, he won 2 playoff games and led the Chargers to the AFC Championship game where they lost to the undefeated Patriots.  In 2008, only his 3rd year starting, Philip led the NFL in passer rating, touchdown passes & yards per attempt.

You may be correct.

I remember alot of fans on the message board screaming and being unhappy about him his second year.  We would have to look at the numbers though to be sure.

8 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

You may be correct.

I remember alot of fans on the message board screaming and being unhappy about him his second year.  We would have to look at the numbers though to be sure.

Going 14-2 in one's first year is a hard act to duplicate, but Marty Schottenheimer was a "run 1st" coach who rode LT hard and didn't let Philip do much. He was fired after the 2007 season, Norv Turner was hired and was charged with developing Rivers and the Chargers went 11-5, but still won the AFC West and as previously mentioned, 2 of their 3 postseason games.

50 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yeah he’d be a good backup. Looking at the ufa list there are quite a few good olineman that will be available…..two of them are on the eagles although I don’t see Kelce going anywhere .

I just listened to the press conference again.  Minshew is in the group of players he thanked.   He just seems like the perfect bridge for a rookie.  I'll be surprised if he isn't brought over.

5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I was exaggerating a little.  A couple of those games he threw for 102 & 109 yards. So technically he was over a hundred.  Still not very impressive vs poor defenses. He’s definitely draftable.   It’s just nothing on his tape says he should be a top 10 pick.

That’s true — I didn’t look at the stats that closely. I don’t know. Mocks are all over the place on these top three QBs. I’ve convinced myself I’ll be pleased w any QB we get because I’m just so ready for some hope and optimism. 

3 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I don't like what the Jets did with Zach Wilson in giving up on him after 1 year.  I hope the Colts don't do that.  1 year is too soon to tell.

I agree. I thought they also gave up too early on Darnold but not many share that sentiment. I like to give players a few years. One year is not enough. 

36 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I just listened to the press conference again.  Minshew is in the group of players he thanked.   He just seems like the perfect bridge for a rookie.  I'll be surprised if he isn't brought over.

Perhaps? But it probably will come down to $$

...would hate to see the Colts overpay again, like they did with Ryan and Foles.

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

As much as it pains me, JB would be a realistic option. But I was thinking more like Dalton or Teddy. There are a lot of these guys out there this offseason. At the very least, I think one will be brought in as the backup QB. I could just see a scenario where they start the first few games.

Those are 2 good names too.

5 hours ago, Gramz said:

I hope everyone is happy with this.  I don't know enough to form an opinion. 

I’m very happy with this.  It was either Steichen or Callahan for me when it came down to the last candidates.  I wanted a coach who was going to be able to develop our qb and also not get outcoached on offense.  Seems like we got both with Steichen.  I’m not worried about the defense if we keep Gus.  Let Gus handle the defense, let Steichen and whoever our oc will be handle the offense.

with Steichen, I honestly don’t care who we end up with at qb.  I want stroud really but if we end up with AR15 I’d be just as happy because I’m confident that Steichen can develop him.  

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yeah he’d be a good backup. Looking at the ufa list there are quite a few good olineman that will be available…..two of them are on the eagles although I don’t see Kelce going anywhere .

You are right, it seems like there are a lot of lineman available in FA and if you believe mock drafts, also many coming out of college.

18 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

It can be a very emotional accomplishing a life goal. It can make one very pensive and reflective. Very happy for him, and glad we have an emotional coach. 

I am too. I like the energy he has and the humanity. Yes, he's another player coach but he's also analytical and I believe him when he talks about accountability. The locker room needs him. 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yep, as good as Burrow was, it took him 2 years to make noise too, just like it did for Lawrence. Mahomes didn't start till Year 2, so that theme seems to be consistent for being a playoff contender at least. Year 2 if you have an elite/very good prospect with good coaching, and/or surrounded by very good support and roster that gives the QB that margin for error.

I think most level headed fans realize it's going to take time for this team to settle in and learn to play together.  

Imo the Colts do have a better roster than most of the other teams picking in the top 5. Regardless of what a few think we have some very good players and are not that far off. 

Well.....it wasn't the strongest or most impressive presser of a HC or GM hiring. If he's in tears now wait until Irsay starts meddling with his decisions. :funny:

.....sorry, it was just to easy. Lol

Honestly, I don't know how good of a assistant he has been OR more importantly how that will translate to a HC. Certainly coming from a Super Bowl participant is better than coming from the jets or a lions type of organization. So that's good!

Of course I wish he does well for the sake of all of us here but he's stepped into a up hill battle if you go by history with this organization. Hope he's up for the job. But It shouldn't take too much to be better than the last two that preceded him.

The Big question is when will he be extended? haha

6 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Because these guys aren't ready.  Simple as that.  There is no Joe Burrow Trevor Lawrence or Andrew Luck in this draft.Could they turn out to be?  Sure maybe.    So if you throw them in when they are not ready you end up with Zach Wilson, Trey Lance situation where they are shell shocked and their careers get ruined before they even start.   

Sitting for six games and putting them in halfway through season won’t do anything to get them more ready.

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sitting for six games and putting them in halfway through season won’t do anything to get them more ready.

Maybe not, but at least the Oline will have some time to gel before getting the kids feet wet.  It would be good to give hime some stability up front so he has a better chance to succeed.

21 hours ago, sb41champs said:

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR NEW HEAD COACH SHANE STEICHEN!!

It will be interesting to watch him build his coaching staff in the next couple of weeks.

He was one of the two candidates I was most interested in the Colts hiring.

our first time gm ballard seems to like first time head coaches

19 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well.....it wasn't the strongest or most impressive presser of a HC or GM hiring. If he's in tears now wait until Irsay starts meddling with his decisions. :funny:

.....sorry, it was just to easy. Lol

Honestly, I don't know how good of a assistant he has been OR more importantly how that will translate to a HC. Certainly coming from a Super Bowl participant is better than coming from the jets or a lions type of organization. So that's good!

Of course I wish he does well for the sake of all of us here but he's stepped into a up hill battle if you go by history with this organization. Hope he's up for the job. But It shouldn't take too much to be better than the last two that preceded him.

The Big question is when will he be extended? haha

another first time hc, wow!!!

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Keefer mentioned in his story today how much Steichen wanted this job. Makes you wonder if he didn’t want the panthers job and that’s why it didn’t go as expected.

The Panthers didn't do in person interview with him. It's possible his personality shines through and he interviews better in person. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

The Panthers didn't do in person interview with him. It's possible his personality shines through and he interviews better in person. 

I don't give a rats behind if he interviews good or bad.  If I remember correctly Sirianni had some serious trouble talking with a camera and mic stuck in his face. He even became a meme for a while. All I care about is if he can coach.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't give a rats behind if he interviews good or bad.  If I remember correctly Sirianni had some serious trouble talking with a camera and mic stuck in his face. He even became a meme for a while. All I care about is if he can coach.  

Fingers crossed.

I'm just glad that, if he doesn't work out, almost no one can complain.

Archived