Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It's easy for us to say, Steichen should give play calling over to someone else.

But he is very good at it, so in order to transfer the duties to another, he will have to find a coach who has that ability.

Building the staff is extremely important here. I will be watching very closely who he picks. On the forum I mostly hear mentioned former Colts players. 

or allow him to call the plays but have someone manage the timeouts and challenges. 

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, krunk said:

2 yrs is realistic. Look at the Jags and Trevor Lawrence. As highly decorated as he was that first season he just looked kind of Meh bc he had to adjust to how the game is played on this level. Our new QB will as well.

He also had a cluster you know what for a head coach.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. If we start a 30-year-old veteran QB, I'll have little interest next year even with Steichen as the HC. We are picking at 4 (or earlier), gotta start the new franchise QB we select from day 1.

That QB wouldn't start the entire season. At most, it would be a handful of games before they hand over the reigns to the rook.

It's been a fairly common practice in the NFL recently. I don't really have a preference, as long as the rookie QB gets to play most of the year.

But I can see the value in giving the rookie QB a bit more time to grasp the playbook. Even more importantly, they get to watch and learn how a vet NFL starting QB goes through TC and then see how that vet QB prepares to start for a few games.

I believe Tyrod Taylor did this for Josh Allen, Justin Herbert and Baker Mayfield. It didn't work out for Baker, but it definitely has worked out for those other two. 

Just now, shasta519 said:

That QB wouldn't start the entire season. At most, it would be a handful of games before they hand over the reigns to the rook.

It's been a fairly common practice in the NFL recently. I don't really have a preference, as long as the rookie QB gets to play most of the year.

But I can see the value in giving the rookie QB a bit more time to grasp the playbook. Even more importantly, they get to watch and learn how a vet NFL starting QB goes through TC and then see how that vet QB prepares to start for a few games.

I believe Tyrod Taylor did this for Josh Allen, Justin Herbert and Baker Mayfield. It didn't work out for Baker, but it definitely has worked out for those other two. 

What’s the point of starting a retread for a few games. That will be invaluable playing time for a rookie.

22 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Just depends on when "year 2" actually will be. 

In some cases, it's year 2, like Burrow and Herbert. But they were rookie starters.

Mahomes didn't play as a rookie, but he's a bit of a unicorn. It wasn't even really a leap as much as it was just the first time we saw him.

Guys like Allen/Hurts/Lawrence/Fields made big progress in year 2. But Allen and Hurts really took in year 3, which was their 2nd full season as a starter. Remains to be seen with Fields and Lawrence, but I think there's a good chance both will really take off next season.

Sort of depends on the plan. If I had to guess, the Colts will bring in a journeyman QB to start the season and then eventually hand over the reigns. So realistically, I would be looking at year 3 for that true breakout if they get the pick right. 

Who do you like as a potential 1 year bridge QB?  I know Jacoby is a solid guy who we could get on the cheap.  He actually finished top 10 in QBR this year.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yes hopefully let the vet start 5-6 games and then put the rook in.

I thought the Falcons waited far too long with Mariotta and Ridder

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Both Allen and Herbert were the full time starter starting in Week 2 (Allen didn't start, but did play in Week 1)

51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here is always the problem with that line of thinking. When Wentz came in, we thought we would pick up where Rivers left off. When Ryan came in, we thought we were this close to the playoffs and Ryan should be able to pick up where Wentz left off. But reality never works that way. There are always 3 steps forward, 2 steps backwards (whether it is building chemistry for rookie QB with pass catchers or OL being on the same page as offense and QB, defense taking a step backwards, more AFC playoff contenders emerging etc.) and that is why you can't assume constants in the NFL across years, even if it is a facet we think should be steady, there are always variables. That is why it is Not For Long.

The 2nd year is also when most rookie QBs take a big leap. Peyton went from 3-13 to 13-3, and there are several more examples to give. That is WHY I said 2 years.

I think you need at least 2 full years to evaluate.

Rivers was different.  He had a really good first year then went into a sophmore slump his second year.  He then picked it back up his 3rd year.

I don't like what the Jets did with Zach Wilson in giving up on him after 1 year.  I hope the Colts don't do that.  1 year is too soon to tell.

21 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Burrow got hurt his 1st year, next year he went to superbowl... It didnt take him 2 years, it just got cut short.

The Bengals weren't winning his rookie year though he was statistically playing just as well if not better than Herbert before his injury.  Oddly, Herbert was only like a game away from making the playoffs as a rookie that year and the Chargers literally gave away like 2 games that year.  A trend that would haunt them until this year. 

So maybe with how talented these rookies are coming out of college, it might not take as long for them to achieve success if put into the right scenario with the right coaching and they come in with the right pedigree.  There's examples for all pathways to success. 

There's the Brady and Mahomes sit one year and then have instant success in year 2 path.  The Burrow & Lawrence play year 1 and not have team success but learn and then take off in year two.  Then there's the Hurts & Allen models where it takes a few years but they substantially grow each year.  Then you have guys like Herbert who have been statistically good from day 1 but couldn't achieve team success for a few years.  In all those scenarios the QB's either had a good team around them or a good coach and offensive playmakers to help them grow quickly.

31 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

There were people actually claiming that? I heard some of the local guys or content creators joke about it, but I didn't think it was a serious narrative.

I honestly don't know what happens to Saturday now. I always though he would end up in the FO in some role, but I guess that could still happen.

There were SEVERAL doing it here, and definitely not joking about it

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

The Bengals weren't winning his rookie year though he was statistically playing just as well if not better than Herbert before his injury.  Oddly, Herbert was only like a game away from making the playoffs as a rookie that year and the Chargers literally gave away like 2 games that year.  A trend that would haunt them until this year. 

So maybe with how talented these rookies are coming out of college, it might not take as long for them to achieve success if put into the right scenario with the right coaching and they come in with the right pedigree.  There's examples for all pathways to success. 

There's the Brady and Mahomes sit one year and then have instant success in year 2 path.  The Burrow & Lawrence play year 1 and not have team success but learn and then take off in year two.  Then there's the Hurts & Allen models where it takes a few years but they substantially grow each year.  Then you have guys like Herbert who have been statistically good from day 1 but couldn't achieve team success for a few years.  In all those scenarios the QB's either had a good team around them or a good coach and offensive playmakers to help them grow quickly.

If Ballard can get the Oline fixed. Get the offensive skill position blocking better. I really think we can be competitive right away. Especially if we keep defense intact.

Just now, csmopar said:

There were SEVERAL doing it here, and definitely not joking about it

I said that we would hire Saturday if the Steichen deal fell through because Irsay would have made an emotional decision, but that's based off the past and some logic. I knew if Ballard was choosing, he wouldn't select Saturday.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I said that we would hire Saturday if the Steichen deal fell through because Irsay would have made an emotional decision, but that's based off the past and some logic. I knew if Ballard was choosing, he wouldn't select Saturday.

Not referring to you. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

The amount of wrongness in a series of posts you’ve made about rookie quarterbacks is almost staggering.   Mind boggling.   

It’s as if you’ve never followed the NFL or read posts on this website.   Sorry, but it’s astonishing. 

You really need to learn to speak to people better. Someone’s opinion doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hopefully Steichen can bring pascal back to where he belongs. That will help the blocking too.

Why? Pascal is not what this offense is missing. The offense is missing dynamic weapons/playmakers, not a blocking receiver... 

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You really need to learn to speak to people better. Someone’s opinion doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

You’re right.   Your opinion doesn’t mean it’s wrong.   The facts say it’s wrong.   And facts are things you tend to ignore when they get in the way of your opinion. 

I don’t care if you disagree with me.   I care that you disagree with the facts that say you’re wrong. 

You wrote you give a rookie quarterback ONE YEAR?    Who does that?    Few would have a job in the NFL if decisions had to be made after one year.  Rare is the time anyone knows anything after one year. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

our blocking was crap last season from the skill positions. Hope fully Steichen can fix that.

I think that was TE more than WR. Pittman is a good blocker as well as Pierce (if i remember correctly). We just need a blocking TE. That can be done in FA or the draft easily.

53 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What’s the point of starting a retread for a few games. That will be invaluable playing time for a rookie.

Well I listed a few reasons, but I am sure the teams that have done this could provide a lot more. I am just saying it's a very real possibility that there will be a vet bridge QB starting for a few games. But we don't know what their plan is.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The eagles offense exploded when Steichen took over play calling. Sirriani wasn’t that good at it.

The addition of Brown  probably had  a lot to do with it as well. People are so ready to assume who and is responsible for the success of an offence and/or a defense when in fact it is most likely a collection of people not just one like Stiechen. IF Steichen fails there will be the excuse that it was because of the talent. From what I have heard is that Sirrani is heavily invovled in game planning and that is where a lot of the success is had. Lets not crown Steichen as a offensive genius just because we landed him.

55 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Who do you like as a potential 1 year bridge QB?  I know Jacoby is a solid guy who we could get on the cheap.  He actually finished top 10 in QBR this year.

As much as it pains me, JB would be a realistic option. But I was thinking more like Dalton or Teddy. There are a lot of these guys out there this offseason. At the very least, I think one will be brought in as the backup QB. I could just see a scenario where they start the first few games.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Because these guys aren't ready.  Simple as that.  There is no Joe Burrow Trevor Lawrence or Andrew Luck in this draft.Could they turn out to be?  Sure maybe.    So if you throw them in when they are not ready you end up with Zach Wilson, Trey Lance situation where they are shell shocked and their careers get ruined before they even start.   

Archived