Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Two years?  I don’t think so even with a rookie quarterback.  We are not doing a complete rebuild.  We have a very good defense and special teams.  One of the best running backs in the league if not the best.  An improved OL will go a long way.  500 and below teams make the playoffs in the league now. It’s common for teams to go from last to first in their division.  It happens all the time.  I’m expecting a playoff spot.  Anything less is a disappointment with our roster.  Even with a rookie quarterback.  I would bet our new coach and front office feel the same way too.  I doubt they are on a two year plan.

I hope you’re right, but think you’re in for a very disappointing season.   

IMO,  this is not a worst to first team.   Compounding matters this is said to be a weak draft and a weak free agency.   Plus there are salary cap issues with Ryan and others. 

Rookie quarterbacks rarely take their team worst to first.  And if the Colts get a bridge QB for year one, that guy is not going to be a high level QB, he’ll just be a placeholder until the rookie is ready to go.

Year two at the earliest.  Maybe even year three.   Just my two cents, even if it’s unpopular. 

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Two years?  I don’t think so even with a rookie quarterback.  We are not doing a complete rebuild.  We have a very good defense and special teams.  One of the best running backs in the league if not the best.  An improved OL will go a long way.  500 and below teams make the playoffs in the league now. It’s common for teams to go from last to first in their division.  It happens all the time.  I’m expecting a playoff spot.  Anything less is a disappointment with our roster.  Even with a rookie quarterback.  I would bet our new coach and front office feel the same way too.  I doubt they are on a two year plan.

2 yrs is realistic. Look at the Jags and Trevor Lawrence. As highly decorated as he was that first season he just looked kind of Meh bc he had to adjust to how the game is played on this level. Our new QB will as well.

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Here is always the problem with that line of thinking. When Wentz came in, we thought we would pick up where Rivers left off. When Ryan came in, we thought we were this close to the playoffs and Ryan should be able to pick up where Wentz left off. But reality never works that way. There are always 3 steps forward, 2 steps backwards (whether it is building chemistry for rookie QB with pass catchers or OL being on the same page as offense and QB, defense taking a step backwards, more AFC playoff contenders emerging etc.) and that is why you can't assume constants in the NFL across years, even if it is a facet we think should be steady, there are always variables. That is why it is Not For Long.

The 2nd year is also when most rookie QBs take a big leap. Peyton went from 3-13 to 13-3, and there are several more examples to give. That is WHY I said 2 years.

Good hire overall. We now need to get a franchise QB, LT, and another solid WR between FA and the draft. I'd prefer a CB and C if possible as well. Should be doable. 

Steichen has looked good on the Eagles with their offense. Seems to use Brown, Smith, and Goedert almost exclusively on the receiving corps, but he does use RBs as well. So I'd prefer we get another no2 WR besides Pittman on the outside. Could easily find one at 35 in the draft this year. 

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

2 yrs is realistic. Look at the Jags and Trevor Lawrence. As highly decorated as he was that first season he just looked kind of Meh bc he had to adjust to how the game is played on this level. Our new QB will as well.

Yep, as good as Burrow was, it took him 2 years to make noise too, just like it did for Lawrence. Mahomes didn't start till Year 2, so that theme seems to be consistent for being a playoff contender at least. Year 2 if you have an elite/very good prospect with good coaching, and/or surrounded by very good support and roster that gives the QB that margin for error.

I really like this hire. Having an offensive-minded HC who has a track record for success on offense AND success in helping QBs develop were about the only requisites I had. And Steichen exceeds those requirement.

Looking at it overall, maybe they are following the PHI playbook here (literally and figuratively). Hard to ignore the parallels.

• PHI was coming of a 4-win season in 2020 ---> Colts are coming off a 4-win season in 2022
  • PHI fired longtime HC in Pederson and hired a young OC in Sirianni to be their HC ---> Colts fired longtime HC Reich and hired a young OC in Steichen
  • PHI moved on from incumbent starting QB Wentz and went with a young, unproven QB in Hurts ---> Colts will move on Ryan and draft a young, unproven QB in April

In 2021, PHI was a decent team and managed to eke out 9 wins and make the playoffs. Hurts started to take a step forward.

And then in 2022, PHI took off and went to the SB, where they lost scoring 35 pts.

The only difference is that PHI already had the QB in 2020 and he had most of his rookie year to sit and learn. But the Colts will solve for that soon. 

Hopefully, this works out for the Colts like it did for PHI. I don't realistically see a SB team by year 2, but I do think they can be in position to win the AFCS. 

Love the hire... and most people seem to love it. Steichen has great record with young QBs and raising their level of play almost immediately and he had a great offense this year. I liked his playcalling, I liked his aggression and the creativity of his offense. Of course... none of this is a guarantee that he will be a great head coach, but I prefer for us to take a shot on a successful OC who has shown good things in variety of areas that might be part of his new responsibilities, rather than us hiring somebody who has been bad/mediocre in those same areas and/or has failed already in previous attempt at head coaching. 

Seems like Ballard conducted an exemplary coaching search and Irsay let him do his job and took a step back from his recent meddling impulses. We might be turning back to being a respectable organization. Now it's time for Ballard to actually fix some of the messes he created and it's time for us to see if he's actually learned anything from previous failures. And of course... probably the most important part will be picking the QB to be our next franchise guy AND actually giving ourselves the opportunity to draft him. 

Overall... this has been a very positive month or so after the end of the season in my humble opinion. Now good luck to both Steichen and Ballard and lets hope they give us a team we can be proud of. :cheers:

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I really like this hire. Having an offensive-minded HC who has a track record for success on offense AND success in helping QBs develop were about the only requisites I had. And Steichen exceeds those requirement.

Looking at it overall, maybe they are following the PHI playbook here (literally and figuratively). Hard to ignore the parallels.

• PHI was coming of a 4-win season in 2020 ---> Colts are coming off a 4-win season in 2022
  • PHI fired longtime HC in Pederson and hired a young OC in Sirianni to be their HC ---> Colts fired longtime HC Reich and hired a young OC in Steichen
  • PHI moved on from incumbent starting QB Wentz and went with a young, unproven QB in Hurts ---> Colts will move on Ryan and draft a young, unproven QB in April

In 2021, PHI was a decent team and managed to eke out 9 wins and make the playoffs. Hurts started to take a step forward.

And then in 2022, PHI took off and went to the SB, where they lost scoring 35 pts.

The only difference is that PHI already had the QB in 2020 and he had most of his rookie year to sit and learn. But the Colts will solve for that soon. 

Hopefully, this works out for the Colts like it did for PHI. I don't realistically see a SB team by year 2, but I do think they can be in position to win the AFCS. 

Yep, Russell Wilson, with most of the LOB already drafted, took them to the playoffs in Year 1 and they beat Washington on the road in the wild card round before losing in the divisional round at the end of the 2012 season. 2013, they made and won the SB. Unless you have an elite roster that is just a QB away, making the SB by year 2 is unrealistic. Winning the division, however can be realistic and making the playoffs as a wild card, even more realistic by year 2, given the state of our roster that still needs upgrades in a few places. We aren't just a QB away, and neither are any of the prospects Andrew Luck in Year 1.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Overall... this has been a very positive month or so after the end of the season in my humble opinion. Now good luck to both Steichen and Ballard and lets hope they give us a team we can be proud of. :cheers:

HC search is over.  A few days to digest, but with the exception of some assistant coaching fill, its onto roster issues and free agency.

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

I give a rookie one year. By year two Ballard needs to make sure he goes enough to have us competing for the playoffs. Steelers were 9-8 with a rookie. I don’t think that is unrealistic but probably a couple more wins then we will get.  With this defense most likely staying intact we should be ok with a rookie. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I'm hoping we get a separate Press Conference thread.

I can make one.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I give a rookie one year. By year two Ballard needs to make sure he goes enough to have us competing for the playoffs. Steelers were 9-8 with a rookie. I don’t think that is unrealistic but probably a couple more wins then we will get.  With this defense most likely staying intact we should be ok with a rookie. 

I can make one.

Please do.  I think the Presser can double as the actual hire thread from that point since we'll hear from Steichen.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

My thinking process is - if you aren't going to be expecting big things in year 1 either way(and I agree that you shouldn't expect big things from rookie QB)... then... just aim high. Don't go for the guy that's most ready right now. Go for the one that in 2-3 years might be the best of all of them... 

5 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Question #1

Will Steichen try to be the playcaller? I hope not. Head coaches who try to call plays are not usually successful. You are the HC, not the OC now. 

Yeah, after years of watching frank trip over his own feet trying to call plays I don’t have much interest in seeing another coach try the same thing. 

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here is always the problem with that line of thinking. When Wentz came in, we thought we would pick up where Rivers left off. When Ryan came in, we thought we were this close to the playoffs and Ryan should be able to pick up where Wentz left off. But reality never works that way. There are always 3 steps forward, 2 steps backwards (whether it is building chemistry for rookie QB with pass catchers or OL being on the same page as offense and QB, defense taking a step backwards, more AFC playoff contenders emerging etc.) and that is why you can't assume constants in the NFL across years, even if it is a facet we think should be steady, there are always variables. That is why it is Not For Long.

The 2nd year is also when most rookie QBs take a big leap. Peyton went from 3-13 to 13-3, and there are several more examples to give. That is WHY I said 2 years.

Just depends on when "year 2" actually will be. 

In some cases, it's year 2, like Burrow and Herbert. But they were rookie starters.

Mahomes didn't play as a rookie, but he's a bit of a unicorn. It wasn't even really a leap as much as it was just the first time we saw him.

Guys like Allen/Hurts/Lawrence/Fields made big progress in year 2. But Allen and Hurts really took in year 3, which was their 2nd full season as a starter. Remains to be seen with Fields and Lawrence, but I think there's a good chance both will really take off next season.

Sort of depends on the plan. If I had to guess, the Colts will bring in a journeyman QB to start the season and then eventually hand over the reigns. So realistically, I would be looking at year 3 for that true breakout if they get the pick right. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope you’re right, but think you’re in for a very disappointing season.   

IMO,  this is not a worst to first team.   Compounding matters this is said to be a weak draft and a weak free agency.   Plus there are salary cap issues with Ryan and others. 

Rookie quarterbacks rarely take their team worst to first.  And if the Colts get a bridge QB for year one, that guy is not going to be a high level QB, he’ll just be a placeholder until the rookie is ready to go.

Year two at the earliest.  Maybe even year three.   Just my two cents, even if it’s unpopular. 

Agree with this top to bottom.  Sure, rookie QB could come in and light it up.  Sure, there's precedent of teams going worst to first.  Doesn't mean either of them are likely.  

If we draft a QB with #4 overall or trade up or down and get a QB in the first, he'll likely need some time.  That seems to be the trend lately.  That's what happened with Mahomes, Hurts, Allen, and Herbert.  Even Tua sat, not on the injury report for a several weeks, before the Dolphins felt comfortable enough to put him in the lineup.  Joe Burrow is the black sheep who started since day 1, but none of the 2023 QB rookies are in in Joe Burrow's (or any other QBs mentioned) league.  Not to say someone like Levis or Stroud couldn't get to that tier of quarterback, but if 5 out of those 6 sat for some length in their rookie season, it's reasonable, if not more responsible, to sit Levis or Stroud. 

We'll see.  I still wish we had a shot at the USC kid.

Just now, shasta519 said:

Just depends on when "year 2" actually will be. 

In some cases, it's year 2, like Burrow and Herbert. But they were rookie starters.

Mahomes didn't play as a rookie, but he's a bit of a unicorn. It wasn't even really a leap as much as it was just the first time we saw him.

Guys like Allen/Hurts/Lawrence/Fields made big progress in year 2. But Allen and Hurts really took in year 3, which was their 2nd full season as a starter. Remains to be seen with Fields and Lawrence, but I think there's a good chance both will really take off next season.

Sort of depends on the plan. If I had to guess, the Colts will bring in a journeyman QB to start the season and then eventually hand over the reigns. So realistically, I would be looking at year 3 for that true breakout if they get the pick right. 

This is why a rookie needs to start. Your just wasting time. 

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, as good as Burrow was, it took him 2 years to make noise too, just like it did for Lawrence. Mahomes didn't start till Year 2, so that theme seems to be consistent for being a playoff contender at least. Year 2 if you have an elite/very good prospect with good coaching, and/or surrounded by very good support and roster that gives the QB that margin for error.

Burrow got hurt his 1st year, next year he went to superbowl... It didnt take him 2 years, it just got cut short.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is why a rookie needs to start. Your just wasting time. 

Yep. If we start a 30-year-old veteran QB, I'll have little interest next year even with Steichen as the HC. We are picking at 4 (or earlier), gotta start the new franchise QB we select from day 1.

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not like the bar was set to high by what transpired the last 19 games. lol

10 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Question #1

Will Steichen try to be the playcaller? I hope not. Head coaches who try to call plays are not usually successful. You are the HC, not the OC now. 

Question #2

Can they build a staff and let them do their job? 

It's easy for us to say, Steichen should give play calling over to someone else.

But he is very good at it, so in order to transfer the duties to another, he will have to find a coach who has that ability.

Building the staff is extremely important here. I will be watching very closely who he picks. On the forum I mostly hear mentioned former Colts players. 

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, Russell Wilson, with most of the LOB already drafted, took them to the playoffs in Year 1 and they beat Washington on the road in the wild card round before losing in the divisional round at the end of the 2012 season. 2013, they made and won the SB. Unless you have an elite roster that is just a QB away, making the SB by year 2 is unrealistic. Winning the division, however can be realistic and making the playoffs as a wild card, even more realistic by year 2, given the state of our roster that still needs upgrades in a few places. We aren't just a QB away, and neither are any of the prospects Andrew Luck in Year 1.

Agree. I think most would agree that this team is not just a QB away. They might be just a QB away from a 7 win team as currently constructed though. But not sure how that serves this team going forward. Would much rather have a rebuilding year to get more premium draft capital if that is the ceiling.

This is why I wouldn't have much problem with making some moves this offseason with the future in mind this offseason. Clear some cap space to roll over and possibly get some draft capital to use.

Then eye the 2024 offseason to use all of that cap space to get aggressive and begin to put the pieces together the remainder of the QB rookie contract window...with year 3-4 being the peak of that window.

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I can make one.

You can shoot for the playoffs in year 1 but to call it a dissapointment if it doesnt happen is unrealistic with a rookie passer for the reasons i stated. Roethlisburger was an outlier. Most often it doesnt end up that way for rookie passers in this league.  I dont think Joe Burrow was in the playoffs his first year either as another example.

12 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Burrow got hurt his 1st year, next year he went to superbowl... It didnt take him 2 years, it just got cut short.

True, but their D wasn't as good that year. They lost to Rivers and the Colts 27-31, their D got better with more years under Anurumo. You can't make an assumption that he would have won their division in Year 1. Playoffs, likely, but the Ravens were still winning that division that year with a healthy Lamar, unlike 2021 and 2022 seasons when their D started playing better and Lamar being banged up helped their cause too. As their recent games vs the Ravens have shown, the Ravens' style of D this year and their style of offense gives the Bengals fits. I feel the Ravens will have a resurgence in 2023 season if Lamar is healthy and signed.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep… Where’s all those claiming Irsay was putting on a farce and Jeff Saturday was gonna be HC no matter what?

you know, the ones who have spent 5 months dragging Irsay thru the muck?

There were people actually claiming that? I heard some of the local guys or content creators joke about it, but I didn't think it was a serious narrative.

I honestly don't know what happens to Saturday now. I always though he would end up in the FO in some role, but I guess that could still happen.

Archived