Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Then Ballard should’ve been fired along with Reich. And I’ve been fine with Ballard being retained. But if he and Steichen are all in on Levis or Richardson at 4, then I think we’re gonna be in trouble and doomed to fail.  Richardson is highly inaccurate. Needs a lot more development. Levis is skittish and Wentz 2.0.  He’s turnover and injury prone.  Just like Wentz had dreadful games of under 100 yards passing, Levis has had plenty games like that. Often against poor college defenses. Expect him to have many more at the professional level. Ballard has been waiting on his Mahomes. He’s here and his name is Bryce Young. Go watch the tape. It doesn’t lie. 

Levis’ junior and senior seasons he had two sub-100 passing games, and one was a W over No. 10 Florida. The other was a whipping from No. 3 Tenn. I’ll go ahead and leave him in the draftable column. 

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Levis’ junior and senior seasons he had two sub-100 passing games, and one was a W over No. 10 Florida. The other was a whipping from No. 3 Tenn. I’ll go ahead and leave him in the draftable column. 

His 109-yard passing game this season as Vandy broke a 26-game conference losing streak seems worth mentioning here.

9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Not if we draft Young.  You let him put it up as needed.  Steichen also coached Rivers & Herbert. Young is the best processor by far out of the top QB’s.  Steichen will take him and be able to open up the offense. Sure we can and will run it with JT. Who wouldn’t but a fool?  But we will most definitely take play action shots off of the running game.  And all of our receivers will get better with a QB like Young making the throws. He processes like Burrow but has the magical off schedule ability like Mahomes.  You don’t completely harness a talent like that. You let him sling it. 

I think Burrow and Mahomes are a bit of a lofty comparison.  How about Purdy and Tua? 

If you watch film and read Superman's write-up, Young does not possess the arm talent of Mohomes.  Tua was #4 pick and was only held down because of the hip injury.  He's been a down field thrower now that Hill and Waddle are on the team, but also doesn't have elite arm talent.   Maybe Pierce and Pitt are closet #1 receivers that were held back by the O.  I guess we'll see.

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The Oline will get fixed. They will add a RG and Rainmann was getting better. I am not worried about Oline. Scheme will help too. Colts need to get better blocking from all offensive positions.  Stability from year to year is what these pass catchers need. A young QB will bring that.

I think comparing what the O will look like under Steichen to what it looked like last year is not a good comparison.  Last season, the O was nearly historically terrible in all facets of the game.  Because it will function better next season is no testament to Steichen being a great coach.

I think we have to go back to Wentz and Rivers years as a level to get back to, but I hope we can do even better than that in afew years.  

People want to look at what Steichen did with Herbert and Hurts.  That's great, but he didn't have a feature RB to contend with getting playing time, or wasting the talent of the best RB in the NFL.  I'm interested to see if the play calling comes off of JT and focuses more on the QB like it did with Herbert and Hurts.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think comparing what the O will look like under Steichen to what it looked like last year is not a good comparison.  Last season, the O was nearly historically terrible in all facets of the game.  Because it will function better next season is no testament to Steichen being a great coach.

I think we have to go back to Wentz and Rivers years as a level to get back to, but I hope we can do even better than that in afew years.  

People want to look at what Steichen did with Herbert and Hurts.  That's great, but he didn't have a feature RB to contend with getting playing time, or wasting the talent of the best RB in the NFL.  I'm interested to see if the play calling comes off of JT and focuses more on the QB like it did with Herbert and Hurts.

Steichen even with the Chargers likes using multiple RBs. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to bring Boston Scott in FA.

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The Oline will get fixed. They will add a RG and Rainmann was getting better. I am not worried about Oline. Scheme will help too. Colts need to get better blocking from all offensive positions.  Stability from year to year is what these pass catchers need. A young QB will bring that.

I'm not sure calling him "Rainman" is much of a complement for a football player....

16 hours ago, tvturner said:

537 yards of his 1267 were after the catch..

He's not just a deep threat receiver and even if he was just that, he's better at it than every WR on the team 

Still don't get it. Hyatt catches the ball and runs fast. We have guys who do that. Flowers makes PLAYS, makes guys miss and makes something from nothing. Total playmaker.

9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Funny that the guy that everybody wants to hype up as the “prototype”, Will Levis, had more passes batted down than Young.  And Young had way more pass attempts. So make that make sense?  

The midget QB operated solely out of shotgun, and had five 4-5 star guys as the BACKUPS on his OL..... And top talent in his receiving corps....

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There was a lot more going on with the Oline then talent.  We might even go younger at center. That’s one area I trust Ballard to fix quickly.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The qb will be in a rookie deal so u can  extend Taylor and u need a rb to protect the young qb

When you say protect, do you mean pass blocking, or giving the defense something else to think about besides the passing?  Because if it's the former, I'm not sure JT is the guy for that.  Not sure if Moss is better (I think he was), but we need a good pass blocking RB.

As a duel threat runner/passer i think Levis  has the skillset to duplicate what Philly did with Hurts more than any of them.  And hes a much better passer than Richardson. All the QB runs 4.4 stuff sounds good but you really dont have to have your signal caller run that fast to be dangerous. Plus you wouldnt have to teach him the pro game because he already understands how to play within the structure of a pro offense.. I think if we got Levis the O would look closer to the Philly O but hed take way less rushing attempts then they did.

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Steichen even with the Chargers likes using multiple RBs. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to bring Boston Scott in FA.

Yeah, Steichen will see JT for what he is, a north south one cut RB that can get tough yards but not truly an all purpose back like CMC that can go on a wheel route against LBs to cause a mismatch and have very good hands beyond basic check downs. In light of that, we will need a scat back like Boston Scott, it makes a LOT of sense, to get that guy that Hines was "supposed" to be. 

If it is a bigger guy like Richardson, he might develop slowly over 2 years like Hurts did, with the running being featured more than passing along with JT. If it is a better pocket passer like Stroud, he will be trained to move around just to buy time in the pocket to always pass first, that is how it will be, same with Levis. I don't see Steichen wanting Young, after seeing big armed Herbert and a power lifter like Hurts, he would want some meat on those bones. :) 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Not yet.  They had to take him to St. Elmo's first.  If he doesn't like St. Elmo's, well, it's a deal breaker.

For what it's worth, I wasn't a fan of St. Elmo's :P.  I did like the sister restaurant though.   Can't remember the name.  But the bread pudding was AMAZING!!!

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s interesting eagles are trying to stop Gannon from taking the AZ job. Wonder why they didn’t do same for Steichen. Maybe because he is a offensive guy.

It's really tough for teams to lose both coordinators and Steichen isn't that huge of a loss when it's Siriani's offense.

• Shive changed the title to Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)
2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's really tough for teams to lose both coordinators and Steichen isn't that huge of a loss when it's Siriani's offense.

Steichen had a huge part in that offense from what I hear and he called the plays all year, as well as half of the 2021 season. 

On 2/12/2023 at 3:05 PM, NFLfan said:

@HOZER are you excited :excited:

Hope all is well. Enjoy! 

I am feeling a bit better about things…..as long as he works out better then the last Philadelphia product……:facepalm: Saturday as Oline coach, if he changes his mind?

Now let’s strengthen our oline and go get Stroud I think he’ll be the best fit for us now. D was good, hopefully Leonard comes back healthy.

6 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I was exaggerating a little.  A couple of those games he threw for 102 & 109 yards. So technically he was over a hundred.  Still not very impressive vs poor defenses. He’s definitely draftable.   It’s just nothing on his tape says he should be a top 10 pick.

Archived