Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quentin Nelson to Miss the Pro-Bowl Due to an Undisclosed Injury!

philba101

After having 7 pro-bowlers last year, the Colts lone pro-bowler this year will not participate in this year's game due to an undisclosed injury. Quentin Nelson had 3 surgeries last offseason to deal with different ailments. It remains to be seen just what injuries Nelson is dealing with this offseason. He’s played through some ailments throughout the season and has a history of a back issue, but that’s mere speculation at this point. Even though he was voted to the Pro Bowl, Nelson didn’t enjoy his dominant form of play in 2022. According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed five sacks, six quarterback hits and 31 total pressures, all of which are career-worst marks.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/colts-quenton-nelson-unable-participate-201503982.html

8 minutes ago, J@son said:

probably more like:

After having 7 pro-bowlers last year, the Colts lone pro-bowler this year will not participate in this year's game due to an undisclosed injury lack of interest.

You could be right that this move is motivated by a lack of interest. What is more concerning is that Nelson seems to be fighting ailments throughout just about every season now, and doing clean-up surgeries in just about every offseason. 

27 minutes ago, J@son said:

probably more like:

After having 7 pro-bowlers last year, the Colts lone pro-bowler this year will not participate in this year's game due to an undisclosed injury lack of interest.

Josh Allen is skipping it to go golf. Can't blame any player for skipping this joke.

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

Again, I am not concerned that Nelson is skipping the game but rather what undisclosed injury he is dealing with again.

The fact that it's an "undisclosed injury" means it could be anything.  Yes it could be something serious, but if he simply has no interest in the pro bowl, the undisclosed injury could be a hangnail.  

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

After having 7 pro-bowlers last year, the Colts lone pro-bowler this year will not participate in this year's game due to an undisclosed injury. Quentin Nelson had 3 surgeries last offseason to deal with different ailments. It remains to be seen just what injuries Nelson is dealing with this offseason. He’s played through some ailments throughout the season and has a history of a back issue, but that’s mere speculation at this point. Even though he was voted to the Pro Bowl, Nelson didn’t enjoy his dominant form of play in 2022. According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed five sacks, six quarterback hits and 31 total pressures, all of which are career-worst marks.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/colts-quenton-nelson-unable-participate-201503982.html

I think he played injured all year or most of it.  Hope he returns to form next year.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

Everything is fine.   He has no interest.   Very few of the players do.   

For example, Buffalo QB Josh Allen begged off too.   Said he was injured.    He is so hurt, Allen is playing golf at the Pebble Beach pro-am this week! 

Oh, his replacement?    Ravens backup Tyler Huntley!   He of the season where he threw a grand total TWO TD passes!  This is a GIGANTIC Nothing Burger!    A complete zero.  

Everything is fine!    All is well.   No reason to worry.   Really.   Honestly. 

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's nothing to worry about.   The Pro Bowl is less important than it’s ever been.  No one cares.   All is well. 

I agree with you about the Pro Bowl. It has run its course. But in all fairness, you don’t know that he isn’t injured any more than the rest of us do. Nelson’s play was way off for a reason; he was not close to the player he’s been in the past. I suspect his back is a problem and I pray he gets healthy. But something was definitely not right last season. 

59 minutes ago, strt182 said:

I find this interesting. I read a different article that was saying that Nelson felt like his play didn't warrant a pro bowl selection therefore declined to participate. 

The league probably doesn't take too kindly to players saying they don't deserve or in some cases don't want to be there, so an injury designation provides cover for players in this case.

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's nothing to worry about.   The Pro Bowl is less important than it’s ever been.  No one cares.   All is well. 

I have no concerns about the pro-bowl. I am concerned about Nelson having ongoing injuries throughout seasons, and repetitive surgeries in the offseason. His salary is pretty affordable right now, but after this coming season it balloons quite a bit.

31 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I agree with you about the Pro Bowl. It has run its course. But in all fairness, you don’t know that he isn’t injured any more than the rest of us do. Nelson’s play was way off for a reason; he was not close to the player he’s been in the past. I suspect his back is a problem and I pray he gets healthy. But something was definitely not right last season. 

You’re free to worry about whoever and whatever you like.   I’m just not reacting to a datapoint based on missing the Pro Bowl. 

When Jonathan Taylor recently had surgery, we all learned about it.   If/when it happens to Q, and there’s a story to react to,  then it will get my attention.  

58 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I have no concerns about the pro-bowl. I am concerned about Nelson having ongoing injuries throughout seasons, and repetitive surgeries in the offseason. His salary is pretty affordable right now, but after this coming season it balloons quite a bit.

Yeah that’s what concerns me too. Same thing with Leonard. It really puts a microscope onto the huge contract he got. Nelson is supposed to be the one constant on the line, so it’s important that he’s healthy.

Oh no! You mean he won't be able to participate in the Pro Bowl Tiddlywinks final? The horror!

The "Pro Bowl" is a joke. In fact "all pro" is a joke, ever since they let people vote and it became a popularity contest. The whole ridiculous thing should just go away. 

I'm guessing that Quenton Nelson doesn't have anything serious going on - he just wants to allow his body to rest until OTA's start in the spring.

Look at the SHOCKING number of other NFL Pro Bowlers that ARE NOT participating in the games this year.

It would be interesting to know exactly how many - of those elected - are actually going to play.

Honestly - since the Pro Bowl moved out of Hawaii - a lot of players opted out.

Then it moved to the Disney World sports complex - and - players participated.

Now that it's bouncing around the league - players are opting out again - citing unspecified injuries.

On 2/2/2023 at 10:14 PM, jonjon said:

Oh no! You mean he won't be able to participate in the Pro Bowl Tiddlywinks final? The horror!

The "Pro Bowl" is a joke. In fact "all pro" is a joke, ever since they let people vote and it became a popularity contest. The whole ridiculous thing should just go away. 

Voting has always been the way players are selected.   How else would it be done?

I wouldn’t over react to this.  Yes it could be a sign of something worse to come down the road or it simply could be he didn’t want to go to this version of the pro-bowl.  If something else happens that takes him away from OTAs or camp then I’d be concerned.  For now let it play out.

34 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

41 million of his contract is fully guaranteed, and playing the game has already takin a toll on his health.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him announce his retirement.

He doesn’t get that money if he simply retires.   That’s not the way guaranteed money works.  

1 hour ago, ojsglove said:

So enlighten me. 

I don’t have details.  I’m not an expert in this matter.   Far from it.   But if all a player had to do to get his guaranteed money is to retire there would be a long line of players who would want to retire.  

What would stop players from negotiating their 2nd or 3rd contracts, getting a big number guaranteed, and then announcing their retirement?    It’d be the most popular move a player could do.   To the best of my knowledge, it has happened zero times.  

To be clear, a player like Nelson can retire whenever they want.  And they might have some money coming.   But all their guaranteed money?    I don’t think so.   What would be the incentive to play? 

10 hours ago, strt182 said:

From what I have read there are different reasons for guaranteed money. I have seen roster spot, injury and cap guarantees.  I would guess retirement changes that and would be one of the teams outs.  

My understanding is if he is on the roster on March 20th he is guaranteed 60 million even if he retires the next day

On 2/2/2023 at 8:13 AM, philba101 said:

I'm betting he suffers from a bruised ego and a case of averagitis.

In reading this, it’s concerning on the outset. For a guy that played at an elite level for the first few years is now having surgery after surgery and if something else is wrong. This obviously would have something to do with his not so spectacular play this season, I certainly hope he recovers and is fully healthy for training camp because whoever the new coach is the offensive line has  to be a number one priority.

Archived