• Shane Steichen - Eagles OC
    • Raheem Morris - Rams DC
    • Jeff Saturday - Colts Interim HC
    • Brian Callahan - Bengals OC
    • Ejiro Evero - Broncos DC
    • Wink Martindale - Giants DC
    • Rich Bisaccia - Packers STC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/2023 at 08:00 PM

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Do you mind explaining? Just curious.

Everyone is trying to read the tea leaves to determine who would be the best coach, and I keep getting stuck on the fact that RM had a shot as a head coach and he was bad at it. I’ve been told it was years ago and he learned a lot, and I’m sure he did, but it still gives me pause. I understand if others feel differently. And I prefer a young bright offensive mind. Ballard’s lousy record isn’t a problem for him so maybe he isn’t worried about RM’s W-L. Just my 2 cents. 

5 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Hearing Aaron Glenn back in play with 2nd interview.

I see that and he's also being considered by AZ. I guess he's well liked and interviews well ? It can't be the job he's done with the Detroit defense as they had "limited" success.

22 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Everyone is trying to read the tea leaves to determine who would be the best coach, and I keep getting stuck on the fact that RM had a shot as a head coach and he was bad at it. I’ve been told it was years ago and he learned a lot, and I’m sure he did, but it still gives me pause. I understand if others feel differently. And I prefer a young bright offensive mind. Ballard’s lousy record isn’t a problem for him so maybe he isn’t worried about RM’s W-L. Just my 2 cents. 

I like Morris' personality and energy, it's what I think would work really well for the leader of an NFL team. He relates well to his players, and seems like a straight shooter.

Before this process, he was not on my radar at all. So like you said, being concerned about his previous work as HC is understandable. Recently I've researched his background, seeing that he spent a few years coaching offense in Atlanta, with Shanahan; this is after being DB coach in Washington with both Shanahans. I believe while he was in Atlanta, he got Dan Quinn to agree with having some summits among the coaching staff, where offensive and defensive coaches spent time working with each other and trying to see things from both sides (might have been in Washington...)

He had three years as HC in Tampa, and won 10 games in Year 2, starting ten rookies. He was supposed to be taking over the defense from Monte Kiffin, and instead, the Bucs fired Jon Gruden and hired Morris as HC. It wasn't all bad. He was young, and management decided to purge nearly all the veterans in the locker room. Josh Freeman looked like a franchise QB for a couple years. After Morris got fired, Greg Schiano took over, and the team won 7 games, then 4 games, then Schiano got fired after only two years. GM Mark Dominik got fired also, and hasn't had an NFL job since then. The Bucs continued churning coaches, and didn't hit 10+ wins again until 2020 with Tom Brady. Between their two SB seasons (2002, 2020), the Bucs only had two 10+ win seasons -- Gruden won 11 games in 2005, and Morris won 10 games in 2010.

My long-winded point is that the Bucs were mostly a mess, operationally and on the football field. And as a young, first time HC, with an average roster and QB, he wasn't absolutely terrible. (Maybe it's noteworthy -- his STs coach in Tampa was Rich Bisaccia.)

He had an extensive interim stretch in Atlanta also, 11 games, which speaks to further experience. And since then, he's been with McVay. So he's spent most of the last decade working closely with the two most impressive offensive minds in the league, for 4-5 years actually as an offensive coach.

I think it's reasonable to expect that he's way more prepared and capable now than he was 14 years ago, and holding his previous HC record over his head seems like freezing him in time. It's definitely relevant, but it doesn't scare me off. His unique history and past experience is actually attractive, along with his personality. I don't know if he's going to work as a HC, but I like the idea of hiring him.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I like Morris' personality and energy, it's what I think would work really well for the leader of an NFL team. He relates well to his players, and seems like a straight shooter.

Before this process, he was not on my radar at all. So like you said, being concerned about his previous work as HC is understandable. Recently I've researched his background, seeing that he spent a few years coaching offense in Atlanta, with Shanahan; this is after being DB coach in Washington with both Shanahans. I believe while he was in Atlanta, he got Dan Quinn to agree with having some summits among the coaching staff, where offensive and defensive coaches spent time working with each other and trying to see things from both sides (might have been in Washington...)

He had three years as HC in Tampa, and won 10 games in Year 2, starting ten rookies. He was supposed to be taking over the defense from Monte Kiffin, and instead, the Bucs fired Jon Gruden and hired Morris as HC. It wasn't all bad. He was young, and management decided to purge nearly all the veterans in the locker room. Josh Freeman looked like a franchise QB for a couple years. After Morris got fired, Greg Schiano took over, and the team won 7 games, then 4 games, then Schiano got fired after only two years. GM Mark Dominik got fired also, and hasn't had an NFL job since then. The Bucs continued churning coaches, and didn't hit 10+ wins again until 2020 with Tom Brady. Between their two SB seasons (2002, 2020), the Bucs only had two 10+ win seasons -- Gruden won 11 games in 2005, and Morris won 10 games in 2010.

My long-winded point is that the Bucs were mostly a mess, operationally and on the football field. And as a young, first time HC, with an average roster and QB, he wasn't absolutely terrible. (Maybe it's noteworthy -- his STs coach in Tampa was Rich Bisaccia.)

He had an extensive interim stretch in Atlanta also, 11 games, which speaks to further experience. And since then, he's been with McVay. So he's spent most of the last decade working closely with the two most impressive offensive minds in the league, for 4-5 years actually as an offensive coach.

I think it's reasonable to expect that he's way more prepared and capable now than he was 14 years ago, and holding his previous HC record over his head seems like freezing him in time. It's definitely relevant, but it doesn't scare me off. His unique history and past experience is actually attractive, along with his personality. I don't know if he's going to work as a HC, but I like the idea of hiring him.

Good stuff, interesting info. …

I saw an interview where the host was trying to bring a racial angle into his firing and he respectfully said, No I have to own that record and the result. It was an impressive answer to me. 

3 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I saw an interview where the host was trying to bring a racial angle into his firing and he respectfully said, No I have to own that record and the result. It was an impressive answer to me. 

The interview was my turning point, not just his answers to the race related questions (they were great answers) and provided some perspective. You should check out Mike Tomlin’s as well, who says RM is the best coach he knows who doesn’t have a HC job.

I looked him into him more after that interview and decided if they Colts go with a defensive HC, sign me up for him.  

Which is why I haven’t voted here, I’m still thinking offensive minded HC, but for me it’s 1a Steichen 1b Morris 2. Callahan. 

15 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

If Irsay is forcing the candidates to take Bradley and his staff as it is rumored. then Morris has a relationship with Gus.  Also makes Steichen and Callahan appealing.   Not an ideal way of bringing in a new HC though. 

Yes, you see Ballard came here with his defense philosophy, highly believing in it, and has been trying to draft players for it. With numerous whopper failures.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yes, you see Ballard came here with his defense philosophy, highly believing in it, and has been trying to draft players for it. With numerous whopper failures.

Please list those defensive failures. I'm pretty curious as to why you think that. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Please list those defensive failures. I'm pretty curious as to why you think that. 

The defensive failures would be these….

2018:

2nd R: Turay. DE

2nd R:  Lewis. DE

2019: 

2nd R:  Benogu.   DE

4th R:   Willis       SS

5th R:   Tell.         CB

2020:   Blackman. FS

2021:   Davis.       DB

NOTE:   I didn’t include 2017 in this.  The Colts first three picks were all defense.  None have developed.   

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The defensive failures would be these….

2018:

2nd R: Turay. DE

2nd R:  Lewis. DE

2019: 

2nd R:  Benogu.   DE

4th R:   Willis       SS

5th R:   Tell.         CB

2020:   Blackman. FS

2021:   Davis.       DB

NOTE:   I didn’t include 2017 in this.  The Colts first three picks were all defense.  None have developed.   

Including 4th and 5th round picks as failings is a stretch. It's still early to call Blackman a failure just yet. 

How about the players that were hits? How about the ratings of the defense as a whole over the span since 2018? Where was the defense rated on points scored against them? Had we had just an average offense there would have been a substantial amount of more wins. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Including 4th and 5th round picks as failings is a stretch. It's still early to call Blackman a failure just yet. 

How about the players that were hits? How about the ratings of the defense as a whole over the span since 2018? Where was the defense rated on points scored against them? Had we had just an average offense there would have been a substantial amount of more wins. 

I called guys like Willis a failure because the Colts traded up to get him.  Publicly said they considered taking him in the 3rd round where they took Okereke.   They didn’t get much from him when he played and then he retired early.   Tell played a small amount his rookie year and played well.  Then took the next year off for Covid.  But then came back and was on the practice squad.   Wasn’t even a backup.   Sorry, that’s a failure, not a stretch.   Davis was sent to the PS as a rookie where he was claimed.   Blackman either can’t stay healthy or doesn’t play well enough to make an impact.  Good against the run, poor against the pass and he plays free safety.   Not enough performance for a third round player.  

All your other arguments are not related to your original question which was to ask about Ballard’s defensive draft failures.   You asked, I answered.   I didn’t say Ballard had no defensive successes.   

On 2/2/2023 at 2:24 PM, ShuteAt168 said:

Absolutely impressive. 

Only DC coach I would be fine with them hiring. 

Archived