• Shane Steichen - Eagles OC
    • Raheem Morris - Rams DC
    • Jeff Saturday - Colts Interim HC
    • Brian Callahan - Bengals OC
    • Ejiro Evero - Broncos DC
    • Wink Martindale - Giants DC
    • Rich Bisaccia - Packers STC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/2023 at 08:00 PM

Part 1: Jim Harbaugh, Ben Johnson

Part 2: Mike Kafka, DeMeco Ryans, Shane Steichen, Raheem Morris

Decided to do a ranked choice poll this time. You can choose your first, second, and third choices, from among the reported seven second interview candidates that we know of so far. Poll closes Friday at noon (Pacific, I believe).

I continue to go with Shane Steichen. I like the idea of having our offensive mastermind and playcaller as HC and I like what Steichen has done with 2 modern day type QBs in Herbert and Hurts and I like how he's solving problems around his QB's strengths and weaknesses. 

Raheem Morris seems like a good option too, provided he lands a good OC. 

About Brian Callahan - honestly no idea what to think about him. He's worked with some great QBs, but how much of their success is attributable to him? Not sure a ton... But again... him being a young offensive mind on the rise is somewhat appealing on its own. 

I like Ejiro Evero too... those are really the 4 that I'd be happy with. But Steichen is a clear favorite for me. 

My heart says we should get an offensive minded HC like Steichen but I think this team needs a very strong leadership to right the ship and Raheem Morris sounds like the perfect medicine to put accountability and team effort back at the forefront. This team needs a bit of a shocker treatment, top to bottom: they need to know and feel that there is a new sheriff in town…

55 minutes ago, stitches said:

Same order for me ... Is there anyone you do NOT want... besides JS? Is JS the one you want the least? 

TBH I think those three are the only three I'd want. Don't want Wink or Rich, and I don't have a good understanding of Evero and what he does either. I'm kind of okay bending my preference for an offensive minded HC in Morris' case, because he spent a few years coaching offense and has been with McVay. Evero is a different story.

Although I would prefer the "been there, done that" previous HC experience of Morris, I'm also concerned that if you heavily require improving your offense, and you hire a former DC / CEO type of HC, then you have an equally important job of hitting a home run finding an OC, too.  Whereas if you hire a former OC, you already have some offensive ability there, and it isn't as important to find an exceptional OC.

Thus, my first choice is Callahan, then Morris, then Steichen.

46 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Although I would prefer the "been there, done that" previous HC experience of Morris, I'm also concerned that if you heavily require improving your offense, and you hire a former DC / CEO type of HC, then you have an equally important job of hitting a home run finding an OC, too.  Whereas if you hire a former OC, you already have some offensive ability there, and it isn't as important to find an exceptional OC.

Thus, my first choice is Callahan, then Morris, then Steichen.

I agree 100% with this. This could be why Morris hasn’t been announced yet. Maybe Ballard is 50/50 on his OC choice. It’s all an unknown as of now.  

I went with Morris, Steichen, Callahan. 

I get where people want to pair our next young QB with an offensive minded HC but I think you’re putting a lot on a young, first time HC’s plate by having him run the team and also call the plays. Then that young OC turned HC is gonna have to find another young OC to call the plays if he gives up play calling responsibilities. 

So I’ve been thinking of a workaround of the young OC becoming HC.  I think we should bring in Morris as HC and go get Bieniemy to be his OC to call plays. Morris oversees the entire team and has the experience and temperament to hold guys accountable. And he’d be able to make sure the defense stays strong which takes pressure off the young QB to carry the team out the gate. 

Bieniemy, bringing some of that KC magic with him, finally gets to call the plays.  I think he’d be magical with Young, Stroud, Levis, or Richardson. Judging by his lack of HC opportunities, there’s a good chance he’ll be OC for us for at least a few years. But let’s say he kills it and finally gets a HC job. Then we get the compensatory pick by him being hired.  Win/Win scenario. 

So I want Morris as HC with Bieniemy as OC and preferably Young or Stroud at QB. 

Morris, Callahan, and then Steichen. I’ve been very vocal about how I think the Colts need more accountability and toughness, and I think Morris can bring that.

I like Callahan over Steichen because he’s been an OC for 4 years as opposed to Steichen’s 2, so I wonder if it’s too early for Shane. Also I like that he’s spent 2 years as a QB coach. Also he is really the guy who unlocked Joe Mixon. Also the combination of him being the son of one of the best OL coaches in history and how the Bengals OL took a big leap this season, makes me confident he may be able to get better play out of the group, or at least help Ballard with talent acquisition at that spot.

Callahan would probably want Stroud too since he’s more similar to Burrow.

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

3 weeks later 

Ok let's do this again who do you want as Colts HC

Chuck Norris

Homer Simpson 

Tom Welling but only the version from Smallville 

Captain Phillip

Dwight Schrute

Ridiculous poll, at least make it interesting. If Norris was interested, a no-brainer. Our D would have zero pts scored against it if for no other reason than he would play LB and take half of the other team's offensive players out of the game. Most other games would be forfeited by the opposing team before they even took the field. 

Steichen would be my first pick but I wonder if Sirianni will have a role in how that plays out. He seemed pretty upset about the way the Colts handled Frank and it makes me wonder if he'd be angry enough to tell Steichen to stay away. With no other HC options, I'd think he'd take the Colts job but if he had 2 offers I worry he will stay away based on guidance from Sirianni. Honestly, why wouldn't you listen to his advice if you were Steichen?

Am I overthinking this?

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

My order is pikachu, charazard, mu

Why on earth would you take charazard over mu? 

9 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Steichen would be my first pick but I wonder if Sirianni will have a role in how that plays out. He seemed pretty upset about the way the Colts handled Frank and it makes me wonder if he'd be angry enough to tell Steichen to stay away. With no other HC options, I'd think he'd take the Colts job but if he had 2 offers I worry he will stay away based on guidance from Sirianni. Honestly, why wouldn't you listen to his advice if you were Steichen?

Am I overthinking this?

Yes you are overthinking this.

I voted Callahan, Steichen and Morris.  The order of preference changes with the time of the day.

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

Why on earth would you take charazard over mu? 

Yes you are overthinking this.

I voted Callahan, Steichen and Morris.  The order of preference changes with the time of the day.

Same with me in regards to the order of Steichen and Callahan. 

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Hearing Aaron Glenn back in play with 2nd interview.

Apparently having 7 candidates in for the second round of interviews was not quite enough for the Colts. I think we should add Steve Wilks as well. His interim coaching record with Carolina at 6-6 was marginally better than other interim candidates but not the best as Bisaccia was 7-5 with a playoff birth in Vegas.

19 hours ago, stitches said:

I continue to go with Shane Steichen. I like the idea of having our offensive mastermind and playcaller as HC and I like what Steichen has done with 2 modern day type QBs in Herbert and Hurts and I like how he's solving problems around his QB's strengths and weaknesses. 

Raheem Morris seems like a good option too, provided he lands a good OC. 

About Brian Callahan - honestly no idea what to think about him. He's worked with some great QBs, but how much of their success is attributable to him? Not sure a ton... But again... him being a young offensive mind on the rise is somewhat appealing on its own. 

I like Ejiro Evero too... those are really the 4 that I'd be happy with. But Steichen is a clear favorite for me. 

Yep, Brian Callahan worked with established QBs while Steichen has worked more with younger QBs, that is why I want Steichen, the more I look at it.

Morris far and away my top Pick. I think his background fits what the Colts need. 
#2 is Callahan.

#3 is Evero. 

But Raheem Morris would be the outstanding choice. And the man most likely to attract a group of top assistants with him. I hope this gets done soon. Time is a wastin’!

Archived