Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Call Your Shot - Who is going to be "that guy?"

I have only followed the draft the last few years, but it seems like every year there is a player or two who are not rated super high that shoot up draft boards after the Senior Bowl or the combine, etc. I think this year it could be Zay Flowers out of BC and Tanner McKee from Stanford.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Kenny McIntosh, running back from Georgia. Always seemed to break big runs in critical moments at Georgia. Runs with speed and power. 

He's who I want to back up JT.  And possibly take over if JT is too expensive.  Several others could be candidates.

Usually it's a player who aces the whole process and big part of the remaining process is the Senior Bowl and athletic testing at the combine... So... I would guess a player who is invited to the Senior Bowl and might surprise with elite testing numbers. 

The player that immediately comes to mind is Will McDonald from Iowa State. He was no. 5 on Bruce Feldman's freak list and had 13 sacks last season and for some reason he's still not caught much of a national hype. 

Another option - Luke Musgrave. I think with good pre-draft process he might end up a 1st round TE. 

6 hours ago, Hark said:

Is he the edge rusher from App State? Haven't read much about him, but looks like he is projecting as a late rounder. What is it about him that you like?

He’s an athletic freak.  At 240ish, he reportedly broad jumps 10’6 and has a 39” vert.  He supposedly hit 21 mph in practice.  Impressive bench and dead lifts.  And while he’s only 6’3, he has 34” arms.  Ya gotta figure he’s undercoached at Appalachian St., meaning he may improve a ton in the pros - untapped potential.  And he produced like a freak should at a lower level of competition - 77 pressures and 21 sacks the last two years, while not rushing the passer full time…

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

His strongest attribute is his pass protection and blocking. That is something we have been lacking since Jack retired.  

Yeah, he’s more well rounded for his size, and seems like a better athlete than Doyle.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:34 PM, Hark said:

Bergeron and Jones are two really good ones. Either one could be a huge pick up for the Colts, especially where they are currently projected.

Just read an article about players coaches are not trying to talk about at the Senior Bowl practices.  One player being Bergeron who has practiced mostly inside and has really impressed.  He is considered a player who is ready to start as an OG as a rookie.  Hope we have a chance to draft him.

On 1/31/2023 at 1:04 PM, chad72 said:

RB: DeWayne McBride, UAB (a complete back, just watch his balance when he runs)

TE: Josh Whyle, Cincinnati (outstanding route runner and moves well in space)

LB: Dorian Williams, Tulane (Nick Bolton like comparison)

Whyle had some catches at SB where is he projected 

On 1/30/2023 at 1:10 PM, Hark said:

I have only followed the draft the last few years, but it seems like every year there is a player or two who are not rated super high that shoot up draft boards after the Senior Bowl or the combine, etc. I think this year it could be Zay Flowers out of BC and Tanner McKee from Stanford.

Flowers appears to already be up the boards.   He’s mocked by most everyone to be low first round to mid-2nd round.   I’d peg it roughly 25-50. 

But McKee?   I’ve been telling everyone that I think he’s a difficult evaluation.  PFF thinks he’s a first round guy.   I don’t, and I’m a 50+ year Stanford admirer. 

All the other evaluations give him a huge spread. Second round thru 4th round.  That’s roughly 100 picks.   35-135-ish.  This will likely get narrowed down the  closer we get to the draft, but it’s hard to know how much. 

Archived