Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pretty Strange

tomloge1

I find it pretty strange that in spite of the horrible and embarassing season the Colts had as the joke of the NFL, they played the teams that are in the Super Bowl and beat the Chiefs and came close to beating the Eagles.  I know, Any Given Sunday.  Just strange that they could actually play fairly well against two far superior teams.  

6 minutes ago, tomloge1 said:

I find it pretty strange that in spite of the horrible and embarassing season the Colts had as the joke of the NFL, they played the teams that are in the Super Bowl and beat the Chiefs and came close to beating the Eagles.  I know, Any Given Sunday.  Just strange that they could actually play fairly well against two far superior teams.  

We have the talent. This fact here confirms it. We just need a few key pieces and a Better coach, I think we can be right up there with them.  

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We have the talent. This fact here confirms it. We just need a few key pieces and a Better coach, I think we can be right up there with them.  

You have a good point.  I've been very negative on the team and organization overall, but maybe a few key adjustments and improvements can make a big difference.  

11 minutes ago, tomloge1 said:

if we had a semi decent QB   ,  and didnt start pryor and pinter in the beginning of the season we would of been fine .   the QB play was so bad this year and the line play the first 8 games .      the last 8 games the line got much better as raiman and fries took over and starting playing well .   ballard is correct when he said the offensive line played pretty well the last 8 games and wasnt the reason we lost those games .   the QB play was so horrible the defense was getting record setting drives per game on them .  the defense starting breaking down the stretch because the moral collapsed on the team .  holding good offenses like the chargers chiefs and eagles under 20  is proof .  

19 minutes ago, tomloge1 said:

One of the main reasons Philadelphia beat us, was a brilliant decision to sign Linval Joseph and Ndamukong Suh, off the street, right before the Colts game. The Eagles DLine was the area we were going to exploit, and the Eagles knew it. So they brought in those two wide bodies, and they played outstanding, with hardly any practice prior to the game.

18 minutes ago, tomloge1 said:

Ehm, we absolutely stunk against the Chiefs. Go rewatch the game. They beat themselves. 

I think the Eagles underestimated how much we wanted that win. 
Not saying we couldn’t have won that game, but if every game has to sold to the players as a “game of the year” type game to get them motivated that’s not talent and it won’t last an entire season or just multiple games for that matter. 

Eagles are not that good, IMO.  They may win the SB, but they still look like a team that gets by rather than being complete.   Hurts is not a very good passer.  They got pretty lucky in the NFCCG with the Davonte Smith no call and SF losing its QBs. 

Our d line matches up well with KC.  And Frank is a good coach to where we kept the ball on O for quite a while even though it did not result in TDs with our bad talent.

31 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Ehm, we absolutely stunk against the Chiefs. Go rewatch the game. They beat themselves. 

I think the Eagles underestimated how much we wanted that win. 
Not saying we couldn’t have won that game, but if every game has to sold to the players as a “game of the year” type game to get them motivated that’s not talent and it won’t last an entire season or just multiple games for that matter. 

Ehm, we won the game.  

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Eagles are not that good, IMO.  They may win the SB, but they still look like a team that gets by rather than being complete.   Hurts is not a very good passer.  They got pretty lucky in the NFCCG with the Davonte Smith no call and SF losing its QBs. 

Our d line matches up well with KC.  And Frank is a good coach to where we kept the ball on O for quite a while even though it did not result in TDs with our bad talent.

I agree.  I think the only reason the Eagles won yesterday was because the 49ers had no quarterback.  Otherwise it probably would have been a different story.  

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

That makes sense from one respect.  All NFL teams have a lot of talent. 

But look at the Houston Texans for instance.  They lost to the Chiefs in OT and were within 4 of Philly with 6 minutes to go.  Do you consider them talented?  I mean like is being implied about the Colts?  The Bears actually beat SF and lost to Philly by 5.  The Cards lost to the Eags by 3 and missed a FG with seconds left to fail to reach OT.

All NFL teams that are bad are a few pieces away.  I don't personally think this fact of beating KC and competing with PHI inspires me about this current Colts roster or is very good evidence that we are in a good place. All of the bad teams could say something similar. 

51 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

if we had a semi decent QB   ,  and didnt start pryor and pinter in the beginning of the season we would of been fine .   the QB play was so bad this year and the line play the first 8 games .      the last 8 games the line got much better as raiman and fries took over and starting playing well .   ballard is correct when he said the offensive line played pretty well the last 8 games and wasnt the reason we lost those games .   the QB play was so horrible the defense was getting record setting drives per game on them .  the defense starting breaking down the stretch because the moral collapsed on the team .  holding good offenses like the chargers chiefs and eagles under 20  is proof .  

If by fine if you mean mediocre then probably, but I'm glad we ended up being bad because it gives us a real chance to get big time talent in key positions. 

And I agree with Ballard about the oline, but the way they've been drafted and paid it's essential that they be a cause that wins us games rather than just being good enough not to lose games IMO. 

This is a great thread it says a lot about the nfl. I pointed out in another topic the Eagles only won 4 games in 2020. They changed the coach and the qb. This year we won just 4 games but were highly competitive in most all of them. We are going to change the coach and the qb, anything can happen people. It's life in the nfl.

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

This is a great thread it says a lot about the nfl. I pointed out in another topic the Eagles only won 4 games in 2020. They changed the coach and the qb. This year we won just 4 games but were highly competitive in most all of them. We are going to change the coach and the qb, anything can happen people. It's life in the nfl.

People keep underscoring Hurts on here and I don't get it.  Now he has a hurt shoulder, but I've seen him look really good passing the ball this season.  He has the 4th best passer rating in the game.   And the dude is just an abrams tank running it.  '

I wish we had the kid, I'll tell you that.   He was picked 54th well after Taylor and Pittman.

Let’s face it.  It’s a very balanced league with maybe six very good teams with two of them in the Super Bowl.   And we defeated the Chiefs and lost by a point to the Eagles.  So it’s pretty easy to see us back in the playoffs if we find a good quarterback and upgrade a few positions.  FA and the salary cap will help in that regard as it guarantees players will move from one team to another.  Ballard has built a very good roster overall with the big exception being quarterback.  Even a good rookie quarterback should get us into the playoffs.  So I’m optimistic.  All teams are beatable.  None are juggernauts.  Our biggest failure this year was the miscalculation at quarterback and the OL.  Both are quickly fixable.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Eagles are not that good, IMO.  They may win the SB, but they still look like a team that gets by rather than being complete.   Hurts is not a very good passer. [...]

If the Eagles win it they'll be the first team in a VERY long time to win without an elite QB. They are stacked at every other position though.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I totally disagree.  They  have a great defense without holes.    Sacked opposing QB's 75 times.  Get lots of turnovers.   They can run and pass the ball.  

Hurts completed 66.5% of his passes this season.   That goes against your "not a good passer" thought.

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If the Eagles win it they'll be the first team in a VERY long time to win without an elite QB. They are stacked at every other position though.

They won't win, Chiefs have the better QB who has 2 weeks to rest now and the better Coach. I put $200 on the Chiefs yesterday on a pick 'em line. Instead of Sizzler it will be St Elmo, I knew Mahomes wasn't losing but many would not listen. That trash talk the Bengals had all week was poppycock chuckling homer simpson GIF- It was like watching Rocky beat Clubber in the 2nd fight, my main man was ready for that battle. = Patrick Mahomes Showtime GIF by Kansas City Chiefs

59 minutes ago, Nickster said:

If by fine if you mean mediocre then probably, but I'm glad we ended up being bad because it gives us a real chance to get big time talent in key positions. 

And I agree with Ballard about the oline, but the way they've been drafted and paid it's essential that they be a cause that wins us games rather than just being good enough not to lose games IMO. 

i dont think the last couple games the o line was bad .    once raiman and fries starting playing good the last couple games it wasnt the line that was the problem .      going against parson in dallas raiman held his own and didnt give up a sack i think he showed massive promise the last 8 games .     fries also played very well the last couple of games ,  i think i am most concerned about braden smith and ryan kelly going backwards  .     AT least nelson had a injury excuse his back was acting up for half of the season .

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I totally disagree.  They  have a great defense without holes.    Sacked opposing QB's 75 times.  Get lots of turnovers.   They can run and pass the ball.  

Hurts completed 66.5% of his passes this season.   That goes against your "not a good passer" thought.

eagles are extremely stacked this year on offense and defense .  i think hurts is good but not elite he is not even in the same league as mahomes or burrow .     i think the eagles are in the same situation as 49ers they are so good on both defensive and offensive lines mixed with explosive playmakers and great coaching .  you can plug a alex smith type QB in and make the playoffs .   hurts is right around the top ten mark but to be elite you need to be top 5

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i dont think the last couple games the o line was bad .    once raiman and fries starting playing good the last couple games it wasnt the line that was the problem .      going against parson in dallas raiman held his own and didnt give up a sack i think he showed massive promise the last 8 games .     fries also played very well the last couple of games ,  i think i am most concerned about braden smith and ryan kelly going backwards  .     AT least nelson had a injury excuse his back was acting up for half of the season .

I agree they were better.  I agree about Smith and Kelly and Nelson.  I assume the Nelson slide is back related.

I don't know if this is a disagreement or not, but I think we need our OLINE to be dominant since we have mediocre talent at skill positions.  And I don't think we have the OLINE roster to be dominant now.  I think we need to draft another tackle and slide Smith into G. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

That makes sense from one respect.  All NFL teams have a lot of talent. 

But look at the Houston Texans for instance.  They lost to the Chiefs in OT and were within 4 of Philly with 6 minutes to go.  Do you consider them talented?  I mean like is being implied about the Colts?  The Bears actually beat SF and lost to Philly by 5.  The Cards lost to the Eags by 3 and missed a FG with seconds left to fail to reach OT.

All NFL teams that are bad are a few pieces away.  I don't personally think this fact of beating KC and competing with PHI inspires me about this current Colts roster or is very good evidence that we are in a good place. All of the bad teams could say something similar. 

Yes. You could make these kinds of statements that a team is talented and almost there with almost any NFL team by cherry picking a couple of games. The Bears, for instance, beat the 49ers and the Chiefs, and only lost 25-20 to the Eagles, yet many people think their roster is very deficient. 

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I agree they were better.  I agree about Smith and Kelly and Nelson.  I assume the Nelson slide is back related.

I don't know if this is a disagreement or not, but I think we need our OLINE to be dominant since we have mediocre talent at skill positions.  And I don't think we have the OLINE roster to be dominant now.  I think we need to draft another tackle and slide Smith into G. 

i think coaching played a big part in the problem though .  i was watching film breakdown videos on twitter most of the sacks during the first couple were from miscommunications picking up stunts .   the other half of the sacks were from pryor and pinter playing horrible .  then raiman struggled early on  but once it got past week 8 he starting out ranking our vets on the line . 

i would try at least next year to keep the line together at least early on in the season .  it helps communication to keep it together and with better coaching it could work .   smith kelly and nelson are still young and have played at pro bowl levels before . with fries and raiman showing progress i would like to see how they make the jump next year .   i think with new coaching we could get a top ten line with that combo .

now i still think we need a backup plan in case kelly and smith  and the two young guys dont improve .   get a older vet left tackle center and guard or draft some backups .   if it doesnt work next year blow the line up and drop kelly and move smith around

In regards to Hurts, he has proven JUST enough as a passer and more than enough as a runner to respect both aspects of his game.  This is the old Michael Vick cheat code.  Add in the fact that he has a ton of awesome weapons and opposing D's are left picking their poison and are left exposed.  If they play the pass hard pound it, miss in Hurts a bit so it opens up play action big time. 

It's like Lamar Jackson but a better passer and way better receivers.  Who do you double?  And if you do, where are the holes and how easy as the holes to exploit?  The Eagles have the personnel AND the talent to take advantage of it. The only team that will give them trouble are teams that can score points fast in a shootout.  The more the Eagles have to sustain long drives with patience a ton is where they will fall, if they fall. Same goes for KC, to an extent. Ironically two teams where we won/almost won this season. Hurts probably plays within script a lot more than Mahomes.  His success is mostly due to the system and execution, where as Mahomes is the system and execution.  This Superbowl might very well come down to Mahomes ankle and if he can improvise in a shootout. 

18 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i think coaching played a big part in the problem though .  i was watching film breakdown videos on twitter most of the sacks during the first couple were from miscommunications picking up stunts .   the other half of the sacks were from pryor and pinter playing horrible .  then raiman struggled early on  but once it got past week 8 he starting out ranking our vets on the line . 

i would try at least next year to keep the line together at least early on in the season .  it helps communication to keep it together and with better coaching it could work .   smith kelly and nelson are still young and have played at pro bowl levels before . with fries and raiman showing progress i would like to see how they make the jump next year .   i think with new coaching we could get a top ten line with that combo .

now i still think we need a backup plan in case kelly and smith  and the two young guys dont improve .   get a older vet left tackle center and guard or draft some backups .   if it doesnt work next year blow the line up and drop kelly and move smith around

There were some missed assignments but I saw plenty of guys getting dusted or pushed over one on one too, including Nelson.  It was really really bad.  I don't see us anywhere near top 10.  I hope we get to top 20.  I just hope we can rise to the level of competence.  That would be a tremendous leap.  Anything else would be gravy IMO without an influx of talent. 

I watched a lot of film early and it wasn't just missed assignments.  It was bad, really bad individual play too. 

Just now, Nevbot said:

In regards to Hurts, he has proven JUST enough as a passer and more than enough as a runner to respect both aspects of his game.  This is the old Michael Vick cheat code.  Add in the fact that he has a ton of awesome weapons and opposing D's are left picking their poison and are left exposed.  If they play the pass hard pound it, miss in Hurts a bit so it opens up play action big time. 

It's like Lamar Jackson but a better passer and way better receivers.  Who do you double?  And if you do, where are the holes and how easy as the holes to exploit?  The Eagles have the personnel AND the talent to take advantage of it. The only team that will give them trouble are teams that can score points fast in a shootout.  The more the Eagles have to sustain long drives with patience a ton is where they will fall, if they fall. Same goes for KC, to an extent. Ironically two teams where we won/almost won this season. Hurts probably plays within script a lot more than Mahomes.  His success is mostly due to the system and execution, where as Mahomes is the system and execution.  This Superbowl might very well come down to Mahomes ankle and if he can improvise in a shootout. 

I think you and many others are not giving enough credit to Hurts for the efficiency in the passing game he displayed before the shoulder.  He was very, very good IMO.  He took over a few games throwing and yeah he has good weapons but I'd say of the 4 teams that played yesterday, he had the 4th best.   SF and Cinn isn't close.  KC maybe you could argue, but I'd say Kelce is the hardest cover in the league, and the WRs are talented too.  

I just don't get the knocks on Hurts though.  I think people are not believing their eyes.  The kid is a friggin stud. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

There were some missed assignments but I saw plenty of guys getting dusted or pushed over one on one too, including Nelson.  It was really really bad.  I don't see us anywhere near top 10.  I hope we get to top 20.  I just hope we can rise to the level of competence.  That would be a tremendous leap.  Anything else would be gravy IMO without an influx of talent. 

I watched a lot of film early and it wasn't just missed assignments.  It was bad, really bad individual play too. 

yea i agree i said kelly nelson and smith regressed and raiman struggled early .   the problem is what do you do with their salaries ?  no team is gonna take them with those high salaries .  its a bad spot but i dont see a way out this year so that is why i think running it back is the best option .  i dont wanna pay smith 20 million to play guard its a massive waste of money .  i saw potential the last 8 games with that line up .   

we need a QB  so we  might need to trade up and give up picks . i also think we need more explosive playmakers at wr .  we can take a center in the third or 4th bring in some cheaper vets to compete .  we should have around 30 million in cap space if we cut ryan but we need to resign yannick and a bunch of other players so i dont think we are in a position right now to fully rebuild the line .   i rather try and stay at 4  get a wr at pick two  and maybe get a center at 3 .  we still need corners faycon is a free agent and gilmore is aging and has one year left .   we got holes to fill and we need to find a franchise QB number 1 is on that list .

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think you and many others are not giving enough credit to Hurts for the efficiency in the passing game he displayed before the shoulder.  He was very, very good IMO.  He took over a few games throwing and yeah he has good weapons but I'd say of the 4 teams that played yesterday, he had the 4th best.   SF and Cinn isn't close.  KC maybe you could argue, but I'd say Kelce is the hardest cover in the league, and the WRs are talented too.  

I just don't get the knocks on Hurts though.  I think people are not believing their eyes.  The kid is a friggin stud. 

No doubt, he is a stud.  22 TDs' isn't elite air numbers, especially with Brown, Goedart, and Smith at WR. Another 13 Td's on the ground is impressive, but those aren't passing stats.  If he can move at least five of those rushing TD's into passing TD's, then I will be as impressed with him as an overall QB as someone like Mahomes or Josh Allen. 

Once he joins the 30 club I will be convinced.  He has been improving and I expect him to continue to do so.  I am not saying he wont get there, but I am saying he isn't quite there yet. 

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

100% agree and its the thought that worries me. There are 10-15 QB's that would play really well under SF, Cincy, Phil and KC rosters but how many QB's could play well with the Colts current roster? One? Two? Maybe three?

This team needs elite talent at nearly every spot that matters on offense and an elite QB alone wont be enough. 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The eagles lost both games that hurts missed. Right there tells how valuable he is.

Yep.  He was 14-1 as a starter.  

Threw 66.5% completions and only 6 INT's.  

Passed for over 3700 yards and rushed for 760 yards.  Total TD's - 35.

24 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

yea i agree i said kelly nelson and smith regressed and raiman struggled early .   the problem is what do you do with their salaries ?  no team is gonna take them with those high salaries .  its a bad spot but i dont see a way out this year so that is why i think running it back is the best option .  i dont wanna pay smith 20 million to play guard its a massive waste of money .  i saw potential the last 8 games with that line up .   

we need a QB  so we  might need to trade up and give up picks . i also think we need more explosive playmakers at wr .  we can take a center in the third or 4th bring in some cheaper vets to compete .  we should have around 30 million in cap space if we cut ryan but we need to resign yannick and a bunch of other players so i dont think we are in a position right now to fully rebuild the line .   i rather try and stay at 4  get a wr at pick two  and maybe get a center at 3 .  we still need corners faycon is a free agent and gilmore is aging and has one year left .   we got holes to fill and we need to find a franchise QB number 1 is on that list .

You should be able to find a decent enough center in FA or day 2-3 IF you can solidify RG.  Kelly is good enough if he didn't have salary, but there should be other guys available to do that job if the other positions are solid.  Before when it looked like we might be 8th or worse pick I thought it might be a good idea to draft one of the OTs.  I think Smith would serve better at G at this point.   He seems to be getting exposed, but I would guess he'd be a really good G.  The OTs would then both be on Rookie deals and the ridiculous amount spent on those two Guards would be more palatable.  I think that would be an efficient way to improve the O.  

I am not necessarily suggesting this at this point with the now 4th slot, but I wouldn't freak out about it.  This QB draft has some depth to it.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You should be able to find a decent enough center in FA or day 2-3 IF you can solidify RG.  Kelly is good enough if he didn't have salary, but there should be other guys available to do that job if the other positions are solid.  Before when it looked like we might be 8th or worse pick I thought it might be a good idea to draft one of the OTs.  I think Smith would serve better at G at this point.   He seems to be getting exposed, but I would guess he'd be a really good G.  The OTs would then both be on Rookie deals and the ridiculous amount spent on those two Guards would be more palatable.  I think that would be an efficient way to improve the O.  

I am not necessarily suggesting this at this point with the now 4th slot, but I wouldn't freak out about it.  This QB draft has some depth to it.

Draft stroud then draft his OSU center. Then trade or cut Kelly.

32 minutes ago, Nevbot said:

No doubt, he is a stud.  22 TDs' isn't elite air numbers, especially with Brown, Goedart, and Smith at WR. Another 13 Td's on the ground is impressive, but those aren't passing stats.  If he can move at least five of those rushing TD's into passing TD's, then I will be as impressed with him as an overall QB as someone like Mahomes or Josh Allen. 

Once he joins the 30 club I will be convinced.  He has been improving and I expect him to continue to do so.  I am not saying he wont get there, but I am saying he isn't quite there yet. 

IDK man.  I don't think it matters how you get the ball into the endzone.  They scored 28.1 ppg. 22 and 6 is pretty good by itself but I'll take a 102 passer rating and 4th in the league any day of any week lol. 

Jalen Hurts is the main reason that Philly's O is as good as they are.  That I feel pretty strongly about.  I've seen him look elite passing the rock. 

Archived