Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Signing with Panthers Saves Irsay Millions

1959Colts

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/26/colts-jim-irsay-congratulate-frank-reich-for-landing-on-his-feet/

Colts, Jim Irsay congratulate Frank Reich for landing on his feet

...The Colts and Irsay have reason to be happy. With Reich getting another head-coaching job, the buyout for Reich dropped dramatically if not evaporated completely.

Irsay has saved millions, the same way Panthers owner David Tepper saved millions when Matt Rhule became the head coach at Nebraska...

...In fact, it’s fair to wonder whether Reich getting hired so quickly could prompt Irsay to shy away from giving Saturday a chance to continue his on-the-job training. It won’t look very good for Irsay if Reich’s Panthers win the division — and if the Colts go 3-14 — next year...

22 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/26/colts-jim-irsay-congratulate-frank-reich-for-landing-on-his-feet/

Colts, Jim Irsay congratulate Frank Reich for landing on his feet

...The Colts and Irsay have reason to be happy. With Reich getting another head-coaching job, the buyout for Reich dropped dramatically if not evaporated completely.

Irsay has saved millions, the same way Panthers owner David Tepper saved millions when Matt Rhule became the head coach at Nebraska...

...In fact, it’s fair to wonder whether Reich getting hired so quickly could prompt Irsay to shy away from giving Saturday a chance to continue his on-the-job training. It won’t look very good for Irsay if Reich’s Panthers win the division — and if the Colts go 3-14 — next year...

That won't influence his decision on the next head coach 

56 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The guy is a billionaire.   Saving 9 million a year isn't gong to influence hiring the coach he thinks is best

In the article, Florio does not say that Irsay might not hire Saturday because of the money...

He says Irsay could be afraid of being embarrassed, should the Panthers (with Reich) win their division, and the Colts (with Saturday) finish 3-14

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Proof of what?  What are you talking about?

That Irsay wouldn’t let that impact his decision.

You outright refused to believe any article that stated Irsay was meddling (he was) and claimed you wanted proof. Now, you’re trying to say Irsay would never behave in a particular way and I’m just asking you to adhere to the same standard of scrutiny you asked for previously.

21 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

That Irsay wouldn’t let that impact his decision.

You outright refused to believe any article that stated Irsay was meddling (he was) and claimed you wanted proof. Now, you’re trying to say Irsay would never behave in a particular way and I’m just asking you to adhere to the same standard of scrutiny you asked for previously.

He has proved by past actions he will fire gms and coaches under contract.   Some having recently signed new deals.   It's pretty obvious he doesn't sweat the money lost in such things.   So why would this time be any different?   You think he would hire a coach he doesn't believe is a good coach because he is still paying the old coach?    He has never done anything to suggest that. 

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He has proved by past actions he will fire gms and coaches under contract.   Some having recently signed new deals.   It's pretty obvious he doesn't sweat the money lost in such things.   So why would this time be any different?   You think he would hire a coach he doesn't believe is a good coach because he is still paying the old coach?    He has never done anything to suggest that. 

The meddling claim in those articles made sense too but you still were highly skeptical of anyone believing it.

45 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No petition or previous HCs being hired by other teams is going to influence Irsay and/or Ballard, IMO. 

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No petition or previous HCs being hired by other teams is going to influence Irsay and/or Ballard, IMO. 

It may or may not.  IDK.  Irsay seems to be a guy that really wants to be liked by the players and the fans though.  Nothing wrong with a healthy dose of this, but it seems to me Jim is a bit obsessed with it and it might be clouding his business decisions. 

He's really had some bad moves from a PR standpoint which is fine if you win.  But the end of the season was a debacle.

I think the influence fans have is underestimated.  Fans are the ultimate consumers of the NFL and individual teams and the winning strategy for instance for Bezos and Amazon is to please the consumer.

It all comes down to what one man, the owner of the team Jim Irsay decides to do.  It's his team and IMO opinion his absolute right to do whatever he wants to do.

But fans have a right to criticize.

I grew up a Cub Fan and much one of the narratives of the decades of incompetence for the org is that people would show up in the bleachers and drink a ton of Old Style and eat a ton of Hot Dogs no matter what product the ownership groups put on the field.  I think Pete Rose (pre fall from grace) or somebody of similar stature pointed that out publicly.  

I don't think it's incumbent upon fans to blindly and uncritically support a team with their money.  I don't personally  We have limited income and I didn't take my family to a game because they were losing.  It wasn't a political statement, it was just a fact that it wasn't worth the money to drive up there, park, eat meals, pay for tickets and a hotel, etc. to see the product on the field. 

If I lived in the Indy area, I probably would have gone and purchased some of those cheaper tix later in the season, but it costs us several hundreds of dollars for a family of four to come up for a game. 

If Irsay makes the unpopular move of hiring Saturday and Ballard moves down in the draft or picks one of the Dlinemen or something there will be a fan revolt.  It might be the right move from a winning standpoint or not.  If it is, then the fans will come back when it looks like to them there is hope.   I personally don't think hiring Saturday makes sense.  The move rocked the boat. I'm not against boat rocking lol, but if the boat keeps rocking much longer it might capsize lol.   If it gets righted and unpopular moves prove to lead to winning ball.  Everyone, myself included will get back on the ship. 

23 hours ago, Dunk said:

Good for Frank, 

I hoped he'd get another shot. Also glad Jimmy isn't on the hook for 9 mil a year for no production.

I will be interested to see how Frank does leading a different team.

If they land a quality QB he may do better there. They have a decent defense 

11 hours ago, Nickster said:

It may or may not.  IDK.  Irsay seems to be a guy that really wants to be liked by the players and the fans though.  Nothing wrong with a healthy dose of this, but it seems to me Jim is a bit obsessed with it and it might be clouding his business decisions. 

He's really had some bad moves from a PR standpoint which is fine if you win.  But the end of the season was a debacle.

I think the influence fans have is underestimated.  Fans are the ultimate consumers of the NFL and individual teams and the winning strategy for instance for Bezos and Amazon is to please the consumer.

It all comes down to what one man, the owner of the team Jim Irsay decides to do.  It's his team and IMO opinion his absolute right to do whatever he wants to do.

But fans have a right to criticize.

I grew up a Cub Fan and much one of the narratives of the decades of incompetence for the org is that people would show up in the bleachers and drink a ton of Old Style and eat a ton of Hot Dogs no matter what product the ownership groups put on the field.  I think Pete Rose (pre fall from grace) or somebody of similar stature pointed that out publicly.  

I don't think it's incumbent upon fans to blindly and uncritically support a team with their money.  I don't personally  We have limited income and I didn't take my family to a game because they were losing.  It wasn't a political statement, it was just a fact that it wasn't worth the money to drive up there, park, eat meals, pay for tickets and a hotel, etc. to see the product on the field. 

If I lived in the Indy area, I probably would have gone and purchased some of those cheaper tix later in the season, but it costs us several hundreds of dollars for a family of four to come up for a game. 

If Irsay makes the unpopular move of hiring Saturday and Ballard moves down in the draft or picks one of the Dlinemen or something there will be a fan revolt.  It might be the right move from a winning standpoint or not.  If it is, then the fans will come back when it looks like to them there is hope.   I personally don't think hiring Saturday makes sense.  The move rocked the boat. I'm not against boat rocking lol, but if the boat keeps rocking much longer it might capsize lol.   If it gets righted and unpopular moves prove to lead to winning ball.  Everyone, myself included will get back on the ship. 

It is  kind of funny for all those Ballard apologist and how much  supposed vontrol Frank  Reich  had . Well apparently he is  eyeing Fangio and he  runs a ddefece polar opposite to what  the Colts run . Found that interesting and  think Frank is going to kill it there.  I think  u r going to see a team that Frank wants to run.

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is  kind of funny for all those Ballard apologist and how much  supposed vontrol Frank  Reich  had . Well apparently he is  eyeing Fangio and he  runs a ddefece polar opposite to what  the Colts run . Found that interesting and  think Frank is going to kill it there.  I think  u r going to see a team that Frank wants to run.

That team has potential to really make Irsay an even bigger laughing stock.  With the exception of Matt Ryan who was washed up, despite what certain narrative driven posters continue to hammer away at, Reich has been getting a lot out of QBs.  Luck had his best year arguably, Hell some people on here thought of Jacoby friggin Brissett as an MVP candidate for a while, resurgent year from Rivers, and as much as certain posters here want to deny it Wentz was pretty good with an obviously over rated roster. Before he got here he coaxed Nick Foles to a championship for Gods sake.

Carolina could be a good D, and if he can coach a QB up whether it be Darnold or some young guy, they are going to make the playoffs next year.  

Pretty good situation out there.  I think Frank was done here, but I also think our roster was poorly constructed.

Archived