Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A New Beginning - My Turn

Everyone on these boards are all GM wanna-be's, and I'm no exception.  So I wanted to take a turn in laying out What I Would Do in turning this franchise's ship around.

Before starting, I want to acknowledge that You Can't Fix Everything.  That's something we tried doing over the past few years.  Addressing all of the problems, by trading down, and getting guys who were Good, but not Great.  No.  Do a few things.  Do them well.  And then do a few more things.  Let's not assume we can solve all of this team's issues in a single offseason.

And now, we begin.

THE COACHING STAFF

Head Coach - Dan Quinn.  I've made no secret that my biggest want in a head coach is proven experience.  I don't want somebody who's just learning how to be a head coach, while doing the job of a head coach.  Quinn has proven experience, having coached the Falcons to Superbowl LI.  Yes, that was the one with the cataclysmic drop in the 4th quarter.  Did you know that four of his offensive assistants went on to become NFL head coaches in their own right?  Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur, Raheem Morris, and Mike McDaniel.

Offensive Coordinator - David Shaw.  Shaw recently resigned as head coach of Stanford.  The world finally caught up with him, and he fell into the abyss of trying to compete as a high-GPA school in a recruiting shark tank of state colleges.  Did you know the guy went to eight bowl games, and won five of them?  Including three Rose Bowls?  He won with an exceptional QB (Andrew Luck).  He won with an exceptional RB (Christian McCaffrey).  And he won with nobody in particular at all.  He was his own OC.  He knows what he's doing.  I'd like to know what @NewColtsFan thinks of this choice, since he lives out in Stanford country.

Defensive Coordinator - Gus Bradley.  Let's be honest.  I don't want to change defensive styles twice in two years.  We already went from a Tampa-2 Hybrid to a Cover-3 Leo.  We already swapped out our CB's from short area zone guys to turn and run guys.  We've moved things over to different tactics and strengths.  Let's keep this part on track, and do it better the second year.  Did you know that even after the late season collapse, our defense ranked 15th?  That it was around 11th before things went wrong?  We still have a lot of good defensive players.  Let's build on it.

Bottom Line -- All three of our top coaches will have previous head coaching experience.  This will go a long way towards reestablishing Authority and Direction with our players.  One head coaching candidate said he had "a way of doing things" while not having any experience whatsoever.  All three of these guys do indeed have a way of doing things.  A proven track record.  With a measure of success.  At least, if coaching in a superbowl, and a 5-3 record in bowl games isn't a measure of success, I don't know what is.

FREE AGENTS

DE Yannick Ngakoue -- He is what we thought he was.  A go for broke wide-9 pass rusher who is a liability in run defense.  He's also the perfect Leo.  And a package deal with Gus.

K Chase McLaughlin -- He's not great.  But he's not terrible either.  With him, you're not rubbing the fur off of your rabbit's foot every time he lines up for a kick.

WR Parris Campbell -- The guy finally played a full season without injury.  And although he wasn't amazing, he played well, and was improving.

WR Ashton Dulin -- Don't ever get caught without a reliable WR4.

LB E. J. Speed -- Possibly Chris Ballard's best small school find, from tiny Tarleton State.

LB Bobby Okereke -- We may not be able to sign him.  He's made a name for himself, and other teams will come calling.  But I can always hope.

My Big Free Agent Signing of the Year -- RT Mike McGlinchey, 49ers.  Some of you might recall that McGlinchey was Nelson's buddy on the left side of Notre Dame's offensive line.  Bring him in at Right Tackle, and slide Smith inside to Guard.  We'll solidify the right side, allow Raimann to keep developing at LT, and help Nelson get his mojo back.  Getting the offensive line back on track is the most important thing we can do, outside of quarterback.

DRAFT

Round 1 - Will Levis, QB, Kentucky -- I'm not in love with any of the top three QB's.  And I certainly don't think any of them are worth trading up for.  I'm willing to take whoever falls to us at #4.  I hope it's Levis.  There's a competitive attitude there, to go along with his arm talent.  One thing this team is lacking is a Flavor.  This guy's got a flavor alright.

Round 2 - Emmanuel Forbes II, CB, Mississippi State -- I'm a big believe in "past performance predicts future expectations".  Over three years he had 14 interceptions and an SEC record 6 pick-sixes.  His 4.59 40-time isn't anything to write home about.  Or his slim build  But watch his interviews.  He gives articulate, insightful, and forceful answers.  It like listening to Richard Sherman or Ronnie Lott.

Round 3 - Luke Wypler, C, Ohio State -- One thing we learned in 2022 is that you can't keep relying on bottom-feeder talent to backfill your offensive line.  We can't be satisfied with French, Fries, and Pinter as our interior depth.  And Kelly's play is diminishing.  Draft this guy now, and he could be starting in a year or two.

BOTTOM LINE

As I said, you can't address everything.  But with this plan, we've addressed coaching leadership, quarterback, the offensive line, and the secondary.

What haven't we done yet?  Our WR's still have trouble creating separation and working downfield.  Our defensive line may have generated 44 sacks, but our overall pass rushing effectiveness ranks at the bottom of the league.  There's still a lot of work to do.  But I hope this plan gives us a good start.

So, what do you think?  Please feel free to shower me with compliments.  Tell me you wish you were as smart as me.  I'll try not to get a big head over it.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Everyone on these boards are all GM wanna-be's, and I'm no exception.  So I wanted to take a turn in laying out What I Would Do in turning this franchise's ship around.

Before starting, I want to acknowledge that You Can't Fix Everything.  That's something we tried doing over the past few years.  Addressing all of the problems, by trading down, and getting guys who were Good, but not Great.  No.  Do a few things.  Do them well.  And then do a few more things.  Let's not assume we can solve all of this team's issues in a single offseason.

And now, we begin.

THE COACHING STAFF

Head Coach - Dan Quinn.  I've made no secret that my biggest want in a head coach is proven experience.  I don't want somebody who's just learning how to be a head coach, while doing the job of a head coach.  Quinn has proven experience, having coached the Falcons to Superbowl LI.  Yes, that was the one with the cataclysmic drop in the 4th quarter.  Did you know that four of his offensive assistants went on to become NFL head coaches in their own right?  Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur, Raheem Morris, and Mike McDaniel.

Offensive Coordinator - David Shaw.  Shaw recently resigned as head coach of Stanford.  The world finally caught up with him, and he fell into the abyss of trying to compete as a high-GPA school in a recruiting shark tank of state colleges.  Did you know the guy went to eight bowl games, and won five of them?  Including three Rose Bowls?  He won with an exceptional QB (Andrew Luck).  He won with an exceptional RB (Christian McCaffrey).  And he won with nobody in particular at all.  He was his own OC.  He knows what he's doing.  I'd like to know what @NewColtsFan thinks of this choice, since he lives out in Stanford country.

Defensive Coordinator - Gus Bradley.  Let's be honest.  I don't want to change defensive styles twice in two years.  We already went from a Tampa-2 Hybrid to a Cover-3 Leo.  We already swapped out our CB's from short area zone guys to turn and run guys.  We've moved things over to different tactics and strengths.  Let's keep this part on track, and do it better the second year.  Did you know that even after the late season collapse, our defense ranked 15th?  That it was around 11th before things went wrong?  We still have a lot of good defensive players.  Let's build on it.

Bottom Line -- All three of our top coaches will have previous head coaching experience.  This will go a long way towards reestablishing Authority and Direction with our players.  One head coaching candidate said he had "a way of doing things" while not having any experience whatsoever.  All three of these guys do indeed have a way of doing things.  A proven track record.  With a measure of success.  At least, if coaching in a superbowl, and a 5-3 record in bowl games isn't a measure of success, I don't know what is.

FREE AGENTS

DE Yannick Ngakoue -- He is what we thought he was.  A go for broke wide-9 pass rusher who is a liability in run defense.  He's also the perfect Leo.  And a package deal with Gus.

K Chase McLaughlin -- He's not great.  But he's not terrible either.  With him, you're not rubbing the fur off of your rabbit's foot every time he lines up for a kick.

WR Parris Campbell -- The guy finally played a full season without injury.  And although he wasn't amazing, he played well, and was improving.

LB E. J. Speed -- Possibly Chris Ballard's best small school find, from tiny Tarleton State.

LB Bobby Okereke -- We may not be able to sign him.  He's made a name for himself, and other teams will come calling.  But I can always hope.

My Big Free Agent Signing of the Year -- RT Mike McGlinchey, 49ers.  Some of you might recall that McGlinchey was Nelson's buddy on the left side of Notre Dame's offensive line.  Bring him in at Right Tackle, and slide Smith inside to Guard.  We'll solidify the right side, allow Raimann to keep developing at LT, and help Nelson get his mojo back.  Getting the offensive line back on track is the most important thing we can do, outside of quarterback.

DRAFT

Round 1 - Will Levis, QB, Kentucky -- I'm not in love with any of the top three QB's.  And I certainly don't think any of them are worth trading up for.  I'm willing to take whoever falls to us at #4.  I hope it's Levis.  There's a competitive attitude there, to go along with his arm talent.  One thing this team is lacking is a Flavor.  This guy's got a flavor alright.

Round 2 - Emmanuel Forbes II, CB, Mississippi State -- I'm a big believe in "past performance predicts future expectations".  Over three years he had 14 interceptions and an SEC record 6 pick-sixes.  His 4.59 40-time isn't anything to write home about.  Or his slim build  But watch his interviews.  He gives articulate, insightful, and forceful answers.  It like listening to Richard Sherman or Ronnie Lott.

Round 3 - Luke Wypler, C, Ohio State -- One thing we learned in 2022 is that you can't keep relying on bottom-feeder talent to backfill your offensive line.  We can't be satisfied with French, Fries, and Pinter as our interior depth.  And Kelly's play is diminishing.  Draft this guy now, and he could be starting in a year or two.

BOTTOM LINE

As I said, you can't address everything.  But with this plan, we've addressed coaching leadership, quarterback, the offensive line, and the secondary.

What haven't we done yet?  Our WR's still have trouble creating separation and working downfield.  Our defensive line may have generated 44 sacks, but our overall pass rushing effectiveness ranks at the bottom of the league.  There's still a lot of work to do.  But I hope this plan gives us a good start.

So, what do you think?  Please feel free to shower me with compliments.  Tell me you wish you were as smart as me.  I'll try not to get a big head over it.

We all get to have our fun with our ideas.

NOOOOO

NOOOOO

Absolutely NOOOOOOO

Draft

Richardson, Stroud, Levis what will they be in 3 years... go for it

CB With makeup speed only

3RD C/G YIP

4TH TE

FA

Nguak  NOOOOOO

McGlauthlin  Y

Campb, Dulin, Speed  YES

OKE  NOOOOOO

FA

a NUMBER of good TE available

BEST C/G avail Starter

slot WR

dt depth

p rush depth

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

And now, we begin.

THE COACHING STAFF

FREE AGENTS

DRAFT

BOTTOM LINE

Hard no on Quinn.

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

And now, we begin.

THE COACHING STAFF

FREE AGENTS

DRAFT

BOTTOM LINE

Well thought out.  I like the CB pick.  Gilmore won’t be around forever, and learning under him for a year would be great.

Just change OC to Darell Bevell that worked with RW during his rookie years and we should be good. It definitely will have a former Seahawk flavor, Ballard better get drafting those nasty DL for depth across the line, we need that to get stops against elite QBs. I do think we can do better than Gus Bradley for defense. I would just let Dan Quinn call the D.

I like the idea of signing McGlinchey and moving Smith to G.   I would let Oke walk since he's now playing WILL.  Chasing and Tackling the football is what a lot of college rookies can do.   We've got Speed and also JJ Domann on the roster.

I like taking a Corner and C in rounds 2 and 3.  Not sure that those are the players I would take though.  Could take a C in round 2 and a Corner in round 3 too.  And another EDGE needs to be drafted.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Just change OC to Darell Bevell that worked with RW during his rookie years and we should be good. It definitely will have a former Seahawk flavor, Ballard better get drafting those nasty DL for depth across the line, we need that to get stops against elite QBs. I do think we can do better than Gus Bradley for defense. I would just let Dan Quinn call the D.

I like the Darrell Bevell option.  Nice call!

On 1/22/2023 at 11:16 AM, John Hammonds said:

And now, we begin.

THE COACHING STAFF

FREE AGENTS

DRAFT

BOTTOM LINE

Thanks for asking John….  But I’m afraid you won’t like my answer.   A long answer. 

To me, Shaw is a college coach.   A molder of young men.   A leader.    But what he is not, is a good offensive coach.   Most Stanford fans have found his offenses offensive.   He is the most conservative offensive coach you’ve ever seen.  He plays ball control, field position football.  If you didn’t know Shaw was also the play-calling OC, you’d think the person calling the plays for Stanford didn’t know anything about running a modern offense.   Watching was often to make you want to claw your own eyes out.   Honestly. 

Shaw won as much as he did with a basic formula.   Get as many big strong guys as possible, win the line of scrimmage, make fewer mistakes, fewer turnovers and play harder than the other guy.   When Stanford is blessed to have a generational talent like Luck or McCaffrey then they have special seasons.   But he doesn’t out-coach many good coaches.   I don’t think he’d be warmly embraced by veterans in the locker-room.   Yes, he’s a nice guy with your best interest at heart.  But it’s a win-now league and coaches have to be able to make players as good as they can be.   And I think Shaw can do that on the college level, but not in the NFL.  I think he’d last a year, maybe two, before he’d be let go.  

I wish it wasn’t so.   Shaw has admirable qualities, but he’s NOT an NFL OC.  

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for asking John….  But I’m afraid you won’t like my answer.   A long answer. 

To me, Shaw is a college coach.   A molder of young men.   A leader.    But what he is not, is a good offensive coach.   Most Stanford fans have found his offenses offensive.   He is the most conservative offensive coach you’ve ever seen.  He plays ball control, field position football.  If you didn’t know Shaw was also the play-calling OC, you’d think the person calling the plays for Stanford didn’t know anything about running a modern offense.   Watching was often to make you want to claw your own eyes out.   Honestly. 

Shaw won as much as he did with a basic formula.   Get as many big strong guys as possible, win the line of scrimmage, make fewer mistakes, fewer turnovers and play harder than the other guy.   When Stanford is blessed to have a generational talent like Luck or McCaffrey then they have special seasons.   But he doesn’t out-coach many good coaches.   I don’t think he’d be warmly embraced by veterans in the locker-room.   Yes, he’s a nice guy with your best interest at heart.  But it’s a win-now league and coaches have to be able to make players as good as they can be.   And I think Shaw can do that on the college level, but not in the NFL.  I think he’d last a year, maybe two, before he’d be let go.  

I wish it wasn’t so.   Shaw has admirable qualities, but he’s NOT an NFL OC.  

Thanks NCF.  Why do I hear Doctor Zaius from Planet of the Apes in my head?

"Don't look for it, Taylor!  You may not like what you find."

First, good effort on your mock off-season. I see where you are coming from and there definitely are worse paths we can choose. My biggest beef with your selections is probably the OC. I don't like Shaw and NFC can probably tell you all about his deficiencies as a offensive playcaller and designer of modern day offense. 

I don't love moving Braden inside and I don't think the upgrade at OG is worth what we would have to pay for it. BTW if I told you Braden is ranked higher than McGlinchey in every single one of the last 4 seasons by PFF, would you believe me? 

Love your draft. Overall I want more weapons. New QB.. more weapons! If you have 1 great receiver you need a second one. If you have 2 great receivers, go for 3d... if you have one good TE, try to find one more. WEAPONS! Give me all of them! 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

First, good effort on your mock off-season. I see where you are coming from and there definitely are worse paths we can choose. My biggest beef with your selections is probably the OC. I don't like Shaw and NFC can probably tell you all about his deficiencies as a offensive playcaller and designer of modern day offense. 

I don't love moving Braden inside and I don't think the upgrade at OG is worth what we would have to pay for it. BTW if I told you Braden is ranked higher than McGlinchey in every single one of the last 4 seasons by PFF, would you believe me? 

Love your draft. Overall I want more weapons. New QB.. more weapons! If you have 1 great receiver you need a second one. If you have 2 great receivers, go for 3d... if you have one good TE, try to find one more. WEAPONS! Give me all of them! 

Thanks.

Actually, NCF convinced me that Shaw is not a good choice.  And Chad showed that there are other good candidates out there for OC.  I think if we went with Quinn, he still absolutely needs to nail his OC choice.

Re:  McGlinchy vs Smith -- I wouldn't doubt it.  I seem to recall that McGlinchy started out his career a little rocky, and may have only recently gotten his act together.  But I could be mistaken.  Although, I'll say this:  Instead of Smith or McGlinchy, I would like Smith and McGlinchy.  :D 

Re: Weapons -- I hear ya.  One of the problems with our team is that we have very few, if any, players that truly scare anybody.  I wouldn't mind finding a few of those, too.

Overall not a bad mock some good things I do like some not so much.  Obvious we need starters and better OL depth.  The Colts organization did themselves no favors passing on LT Christian Darrisaw and not resigning RG Mark Glowinski.  

RG Nate Davis (Titans) will no doubt be a very hot commodity this free agency.  Outside of Davis I think the Colts look to the draft to find a future RG.  Not only that but this draft could very well be built all around improving offense. 

The defense remains mostly unchanged.  If we don't resign Yannick than we go after Marcus Davenport (Saints).  Both excel in pass-rushing but do think Davenport gives better return in run-support.  Another former first rounder is Trysten Hill (Cardinals) that hasn't proven enough as a starter but still can get the job done better than what we currently have as backups.  Wouldn't mind taking a flier on DE Chase Winovich (Browns) whom I thought would of had a better career.  Seems Winovich was moved inside to DT which isn't obviously was a mismatch for his talents.  

Round 1- QB C.J. Stroud (OSU) – hoping we can pick WR Marvin Harrison Jr next year (chemistry/legacy) - BPA QB

Round 2 – RT - move to RG Cody Mauch (ND St) – Mauch has below-avg arms, wingspan, weight, and hands.  Average 40 YD and height – ideal moved inside where he excels in the run game earning a 90.1 grade – Teven Jenkins (Bears) mold

Round 3 – LT Blake Freeland (BYU) – insurance plan behind Raimann - Don't trust Murray as BU

Round 4 – TE Brevyn Spann-Ford – one of the best run-blocking TE’s in the draft which the Colts lack

Round 5 via P151 - LG Chandler Zavala (NC St) – backup to Q. Nelson - trade back a few spot acquire draft needed to trade back up

*Round 5 via GB P153 - LS Robert Soderholm III (Virginia Military Institute) – Replaces Luke Rhodes

* Chiefs LS James Winchester (35) and Bucs Zach Triner (33), Colts (31) – Trading with the Giants moves us up in front of both the Bucs and Chiefs where Soderholm is expected to be drafted.  Soderholm was a 4x All-American and earned 2 First-team All-Southern Connecticut Conference Awards – never botched a snap at the collegiate level

Archived