Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don’t be surprised…

Rolltide_gocolts

40 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Not sure why it says WR. He was a QB recruit who moved to TE during his first season. Here is a write from PFN:

I know his athleticism and size is the USP, but I recall hearing that he was already a good blocker. In hindsight, that was way premature. The NFL is very different for a TE.

That is weird Shasta.  I'm wondering if he didn't lineup like  Big Bully Slot for Okie State much or most of the time.  These guys are not really TE but hybrid guys.   I would think so anyway.  There is a big difference between that sort of mainly stalk blocking and the blocking of 300 lb dudes.   

I guess I would say I hope so.  Because he's no good at all right now.  

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Woods is actually tall and thinner, not thick in the trunk. He was decent sealing the edge by seasons end. By the middle of year 3 i expect both of our younguns to be well rounded. 

And his blocking was serviceable for a rookie. Think back to the blocking horror that Dallas Clark was throughout his career. And after all this time and investment Mo gets a blocking grade of a weak 7 IMO. Send him to the Bears with the lot of them.

You could be right. 

Dallas was not a good blocker so that job was assigned to Addai. 

Dallas had the great hands though.  

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You generate the narrative that Ballard hasn't done anything correctly. 

Your words-Ballard seems to be in love with everything but agility.  Are you serious? Think about that comment for a second. We have a group of receivers and running backs that are exceptional athletes or they wouldn't be on any NFL roster. 

Take off the tinfoil.  If you want to discuss I'll discuss but you guys are boring with your conspiracy theories.

I am talking about he offensive talent I see on the field.  Its seems to be traitsy straight line speed and large and not particularly agile.

I don't like Ballard I think his roster construction ideas are antiquated.  It seems to me that we are built like a smashmouth team.  That is not the same thing as saying he's done nothing right.

Are you a Sith Lord?  Because they are the only ones that deal in absolutes. 

If you want to throw ad homenim bombs we can do that.  I'm pretty good at that. 

9 hours ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Next year when we have a deadly TE combo in Woods & olgetree… they will be a headache Mark my words… especially with a new young qb that can move around and create on the fly (Bryce or CJ)

So who is going to block? They have cute measurable. However leaving those 2 guys  in will get the qb killed.  U put those 2 guys in at the same play and u r  basically telling the team u r passing cause neither can block.

37 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We need a hammer like Doyle who can trap, block in-line, and go in motion and pound into the interior line to create real space. Woods height weight distribution would make it difficult to get down for leverage. Ogeltree should become decent all-around. But 6'4 to 5 and 265 sounds better.

And i have seen enough of Mo and his mediocrity. lol

I think this is a great post on this subject Bebes.  

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Take off the tinfoil.  If you want to discuss I'll discuss but you guys are boring with your conspiracy theories.

I am talking about he offensive talent I see on the field.  Its seems to be traitsy straight line speed and large and not particularly agile.

I don't like Ballard I think his roster construction ideas are antiquated.  It seems to me that we are built like a smashmouth team.  That is not the same thing as saying he's done nothing right.

Hello wall. 

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You could be right. 

Addai was an excellent blocker. A young reader might be thinking about this as lead blocking. Nope. Addai, with Peytons help, anticipated blitzes, got to where he needed to be, and absolutely Stuck pass blitzers in their tracks.

Edge was maybe a little better because imo he was a little physically stouter. Peyton loved him some edge. 

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Addai was an excellent blocker. A young reader might be thinking about this as lead blocking. Nope. Addai, with Peytons help, anticipated blitzes, got to where he needed to be, and absolutely Stuck pass blitzers in their tracks.

Edge was maybe a little better because imo he was a little physically stouter. Peyton loved him some edge. 

Way I remember it it was Manning who wanted Addai.   Watching him it was obvious why.  A+ in pass pro.   

Clark was not really a traditional TE.  He was a hybrid guy.  TE/Big Bully Slot type.  But big enough to bump teats with DEs though.   Fantastic player. 

But they had traditional TE usually to go along with him. Utecht filled that role for a number of years, then Tamme.   I think SW Indiana's own Ken Dilger was still on the team when Clark was drafted.

51 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You could be right. 

Clark was at the minimum an adequate blocker. 

But they usually had another traditional TE to go with him.   His agility was off the charts.  So was Harrisons.  So was Addais (an excellent pass catching bac too.)  So was Wayne's.  None of these guys were particularly big nor particularly fast in the 40, straight line speed.  

Get it?

So does anyone have film or an article of him being bad at blocking? I don't remember ever seeing a time where he got absolutely blown up or missed an assignment. His scouting report was talking about how he was a good blocking TE at Oklahoma State, and that why he went to Virginia Tech. So he could show his ability as a receiver. I'm sure he can improve as he was a rookie, but I'm looking for something solid of him being bad at it.

5 minutes ago, KB said:

So does anyone have film or an article of him being bad at blocking? I don't remember ever seeing a time where he got absolutely blown up or missed an assignment. His scouting report was talking about how he was a good blocking TE at Oklahoma State, and that why he went to Virginia Tech. So he could show his ability as a receiver. I'm sure he can improve as he was a rookie, but I'm looking for something solid of him being bad at it.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2022/10/13/jelani-woods-explains-improve-see-field-more-colts/amp/

I did find this but that's it, and it was from October. Seems like more of being a rookie than anything. He will grow.

3 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Our fan base has this perception that once it’s time to pay someone, they aren’t worth keeping and should be let go. Doyle did A LOT for this team in terms of blocking and being a security blanket. 

Doyle was a great value at $21M over three years, and worth every penny. But there's this thing called the salary cap, and as much as you'd like to re-sign your own players, it's not always possible. Shaq Leonard did A LOT for this team, and was a valuable player by any estimation. But his production was more or less replaced by Zaire Franklin at a fraction of the price. Even in a world where Shaq Leonard isn't injured, you have to ask, is it wise to spend this much on this particular player? Would the Colts, for example, have been better off letting Leonard walk and spending $20M/year on a left tackle? 

41 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Clark was at the minimum an adequate blocker. 

But they usually had another traditional TE to go with him.   His agility was off the charts.  So was Harrisons.  So was Addais (an excellent pass catching bac too.)  So was Wayne's.  None of these guys were particularly big nor particularly fast in the 40, straight line speed.  

Get it?

So because Ballard didn't find players such as Clark and Harrison you think he is bad at his job? You want him fired for that? 

Look? I understand your point but your over the top wishes for Ballard is unreal. Where Ballard did fail is not addressing the offensive trenches with more urgency. The problem the Colts have is the same problem that quite a few other teams have. This is a league wide issue not specific just to the Colts. 

I hope you in turn can understand my point of view. 

17 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Doyle was a great value at $21M over three years, and worth every penny. But there's this thing called the salary cap, and as much as you'd like to re-sign your own players, it's not always possible. Shaq Leonard did A LOT for this team, and was a valuable player by any estimation. But his production was more or less replaced by Zaire Franklin at a fraction of the price. Even in a world where Shaq Leonard isn't injured, you have to ask, is it wise to spend this much on this particular player? Would the Colts, for example, have been better off letting Leonard walk and spending $20M/year on a left tackle? 

I will say that Leonard's contract was way to rich for my blood, but Zaire didn't recreate his production. Zaire got alot of tackles yes, but nowhere near the amount of turnovers. That's what make Leonard special is the clutch turnovers that he made on a consistent basis. The fumble to ice the Raiders game in his rookie season was one of the best. In his only full game this year, he made a timely 4th quarter interception. Offense just didn't capitalize on the opportunity.

26 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So because Ballard didn't find players such as Clark and Harrison you think he is bad at his job? You want him fired for that? 

Look? I understand your point but your over the top wishes for Ballard is unreal. Where Ballard did fail is not addressing the offensive trenches with more urgency. The problem the Colts have is the same problem that quite a few other teams have. This is a league wide issue not specific just to the Colts. 

I hope you in turn can understand my point of view. 

You don't understand anything because you are too much a paranoid get off my lawn dude that listens only to his own voice. 

IMO.  See that Crazy?  In my opinion?  Ballard is stuck on certain traits with his players that aren't necessarily translating to results on the field.  It isn't bad to have guys who are Big, Straight line Speedsters, that don't have sharp route running skills.  But when essentially everyone of your players at the skill positions fit in this mold it is and to fairly obviuosly has to be limiting what can be done offensively.  

I am not criticizing Ballard for failing to draft Clark and Harrison, but I am criticizing him for what appears to be almost exclusivley RAS guys that don't have a lot of wiggle in their game. 

IF these players that Ballard has assembled are such great, diverse players ( and you agree with me in another thread I believe that Frank isn't a terrible coach/play caller), then what gives?

My theory is that we have limited skilled players with great straight line speed, Verticals, and size, but we lack the types of guys that cut on a dime..  We don't HAVE ANY OF THOSE GUYS THAT IM Aware of anyway.  

So if this is not Ballards' doing do you think it's just coincidence?  This is the team he's wanted or maybe it's Irsay's meddling but I doubt the drafted players are IRsays meddling.

I don't think Ballard is necessarily terrible, but I do think his experiment is failing.  We havnen't even talked about the overpay of the worst offensive line right now in the game. 

Now if you want to sloganize like you like to do I'll be happy to slap back, but if you want to talk ball then I'd be interested in what you think is flawed about the SPECIFIC points I'm making not your hoarse old man get off my lawn voice. 

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Most of the top TEs in the league don't block anyway they are playmakers used to stretch the field also but if you're an old school ground and pound type team then your TE has to be able to block. I say go all the way and get a FB in the backfield too. The NFL is getting more progressive with wide open offenses while the Colts have been stuck in a yesteryear mentality but I have a feeling that will all change soon with the new coaching hire UNLESS it's Saturday... 

We are closer to fixing ground and pound than an all out aerial offense. Last year that is how we moved the ball. We lost Doyle, Glowinski, and Pascal. They are among the best at there position at run blocking. It'll change overtime. You still have to do what the team is best at.

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Most of the top TEs in the league don't block anyway they are playmakers used to stretch the field also but if you're an old school ground and pound type team then your TE has to be able to block. I say go all the way and get a FB in the backfield too. The NFL is getting more progressive with wide open offenses while the Colts have been stuck in a yesteryear mentality but I have a feeling that will all change soon with the new coaching hire UNLESS it's Saturday... 

To follow up on what Mata was saying.  Kelce maybe isn't great at blocking but Kittle is fantastic at blocking and Gronk the GOAT was great at all facets of the game, most certainly in steamrolling guys in the run game.  Matter of fact Gronk said when he came back to play with TB at TB that he was and I quote "here to block."

Mark Andrews is a terrific run blocker too. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Speaking of TEs, I can recall when a few said Jack Doyal was paid too much and shouldn't be resigned. 

Then when he retired it's like damn, we need him back. :thmup:

I said it...although I was working on the idea that effort would be made to replace him!

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

You don't understand anything because you are too much a paranoid get off my lawn dude that listens only to his own voice. 

IMO.  See that Crazy?  In my opinion?  Ballard is stuck on certain traits with his players that aren't necessarily translating to results on the field.  It isn't bad to have guys who are Big, Straight line Speedsters, that don't have sharp route running skills.  But when essentially everyone of your players at the skill positions fit in this mold it is and to fairly obviuosly has to be limiting what can be done offensively.  

I am not criticizing Ballard for failing to draft Clark and Harrison, but I am criticizing him for what appears to be almost exclusivley RAS guys that don't have a lot of wiggle in their game. 

IF these players that Ballard has assembled are such great, diverse players ( and you agree with me in another thread I believe that Frank isn't a terrible coach/play caller), then what gives?

My theory is that we have limited skilled players with great straight line speed, Verticals, and size, but we lack the types of guys that cut on a dime..  We don't HAVE ANY OF THOSE GUYS THAT IM Aware of anyway.  

So if this is not Ballards' doing do you think it's just coincidence?  This is the team he's wanted or maybe it's Irsay's meddling but I doubt the drafted players are IRsays meddling.

I don't think Ballard is necessarily terrible, but I do think his experiment is failing.  We havnen't even talked about the overpay of the worst offensive line right now in the game. 

Now if you want to sloganize like you like to do I'll be happy to slap back, but if you want to talk ball then I'd be interested in what you think is flawed about the SPECIFIC points I'm making not your hoarse old man get off my lawn voice. 

All I can say I can't say.  I would get a long time out and your not worth the trouble. 

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

All I can say I can't say.  I would get a long time out and your not worth the trouble. 

all you can say is you are a very narrow thinker, that really doesn't know what he's talking about enough to actually have reasoned discussions and is a very sad type of person who resorts at very advanced age to attacking the person rather than the argument.  It's not that important even football debates but you and your ilk make it something it's not.   

There I fixed that for you. Nbc Reaction GIF by America's Got Talent

1 hour ago, KB said:

I will say that Leonard's contract was way to rich for my blood, but Zaire didn't recreate his production. Zaire got alot of tackles yes, but nowhere near the amount of turnovers. That's what make Leonard special is the clutch turnovers that he made on a consistent basis. The fumble to ice the Raiders game in his rookie season was one of the best. In his only full game this year, he made a timely 4th quarter interception. Offense just didn't capitalize on the opportunity.

I agree he didn't get the turnovers. But are those turnovers worth $20M/year? What if Matt Ryan doesn't get sacked as much or throw as many interceptions because he has an elite left tackle protecting him? It's nice to get defensive turnovers, but it's also nice to not have offensive turnovers. Point being, what you lose in one area, you gain in another. I know that hindsight is 20/20, but the Colts could've easily afforded an elite o-lineman had they not had their money invested elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I agree he didn't get the turnovers. But are those turnovers worth $20M/year? What if Matt Ryan doesn't get sacked as much or throw as many interceptions because he has an elite left tackle protecting him? It's nice to get defensive turnovers, but it's also nice to not have offensive turnovers. Point being, what you lose in one area, you gain in another. I know that hindsight is 20/20, but the Colts could've easily afforded an elite o-lineman had they not had their money invested elsewhere. 

In the modern NFL, even punts are like turnovers if you can't sustain drives consistently. Even the best of offenses will punt for field position but if a QB scores far more than he turns the ball over, he would be contributing in a positive way to the win probability of his team. You see that with Josh Allen. For every INT or fumble, if your team scores 3 TDs, folks will complain far less because it will lead to more wins in all likelihood. The issue is against the elite teams because there is a lot of mediocrity in the NFL that the above numbers will win you divisions easily, IMO. Against elite teams, the margin of error goes down in the playoffs.

But first things first, let us get to the 3 TDs for every turnover ratio to win a division first. :) 

1 hour ago, KB said:

Turnovers forced and even interceptions BOTH went down with Leonard off the field. Tackles alone don't = his worth to the defense.

23 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Like I said, I'm not a fan of his contract, but defensive turnovers are absolutely important. You have to have a competant offense to capatalize on thoze turnovers. It's a mix of getting the defensive turnovers and limiting the offensive turnovers. Turnovers differential is an important stat for teams to be in the positive. You're limiting their scores as well as putting your offense in a better position to score. We got up by 33 on the vikings due to turnovers. 7 was special teams, one was a pick 6, but the short field position helped alot.

To also say that offensive turnovers are more important to stop also dosnt look at the fact that it's the opposing team getting a defensive turnover.

The colts also had the most expensive o line, with multiple probowlers on it, so getting an elite lineman wouldnt of helped to much. Unless that elite lineman was a replacement for Kelly. An elite LT isn't gonna stop the stunts up the middle which was most of our issue this year. 

15 hours ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Next year when we have a deadly TE combo in Woods & olgetree… they will be a headache Mark my words… especially with a new young qb that can move around and create on the fly (Bryce or CJ)

If we get a HC and OC who likes using TEs. I was really high on Woods, but Ogletree was ahead of him in camp. Hope he heals up and continues progressing nicely. 

22 hours ago, KB said:

The most egregious example was against PIT, where he was supposed to block Highsmith, but whiffed and then Highsmith made the TFL to end the drive.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:33 PM, KB said:

Like I said, I'm not a fan of his contract, but defensive turnovers are absolutely important. You have to have a competant offense to capatalize on thoze turnovers. It's a mix of getting the defensive turnovers and limiting the offensive turnovers. Turnovers differential is an important stat for teams to be in the positive. You're limiting their scores as well as putting your offense in a better position to score. We got up by 33 on the vikings due to turnovers. 7 was special teams, one was a pick 6, but the short field position helped alot.

To also say that offensive turnovers are more important to stop also dosnt look at the fact that it's the opposing team getting a defensive turnover.

The colts also had the most expensive o line, with multiple probowlers on it, so getting an elite lineman wouldnt of helped to much. Unless that elite lineman was a replacement for Kelly. An elite LT isn't gonna stop the stunts up the middle which was most of our issue this year. 

It had three good players, but also had two that weren't up to the task. The o-line plays as a unit, so skimping at LT and RG was the main difference. Letting Glowinsky and Reed go was a bad decision. And Eric Fisher was a good run blocker, so his service were missed as well. 

On 1/18/2023 at 9:46 PM, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Ogletree is going to need the same rookie year that all players need.   He didn’t get it in 2022.    The NFL game is much bigger, stronger and faster than the college game, especially a lower level college that Ogletree played.  

He’s going to need time to figure it all out.  At least a year, and maybe more. 

On 1/20/2023 at 2:06 PM, masterlock said:

It had three good players, but also had two that weren't up to the task. The o-line plays as a unit, so skimping at LT and RG was the main difference. Letting Glowinsky and Reed go was a bad decision. And Eric Fisher was a good run blocker, so his service were missed as well. 

Glowinski was benched at one point this year. He didn’t play well. Reed never played a snap for Minnesota. He wanted to go home.  We need to stop lamenting the loss of two below average players.  They already had three high priced olineman.  It was a no-brainer they weren’t giving Glowinski what he was looking for in compensation. 

Glows first year with the Colts he was a pleasant surprise.  Year two he flat out stunk.  Year three he bounced back but was still the weakest link. Year four was ok.  He was benched for Reed at one point. 

I wanted them to bring back Reed, but Reed chose to go closer to home.  The failure was finding a competent replacement and the analysis that replacement could be Pinter.  Finding an affordable guard at the talent level of Glowinski shouldn’t have been a problem.  Counting on Kelly to play at a high level was also a failure. 

BTW, 90% of the people on this board including myself wanted Pryor brought back at this time last year. 

I agree with the OP……IF utilized properly Alie-Cox, Woods, Ogletree and could dominate the middle of the field and the boundaries (Granson) with their size and speed! 

Ogletree is healthy enough currently to have been doing football work on the side to improve his blocking techniques and I feel like he’ll slide into the rotation fairly smoothly next season!

2 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Glowinski was benched at one point this year. He didn’t play well. Reed never played a snap for Minnesota. He wanted to go home.  We need to stop lamenting the loss of two below average players.  They already had three high priced olineman.  It was a no-brainer they weren’t giving Glowinski what he was looking for in compensation. 

Glows first year with the Colts he was a pleasant surprise.  Year two he flat out stunk.  Year three he bounced back but was still the weakest link. Year four was ok.  He was benched for Reed at one point. 

I wanted them to bring back Reed, but Reed chose to go closer to home.  The failure was finding a competent replacement and the analysis that replacement could be Pinter.  Finding an affordable guard at the talent level of Glowinski shouldn’t have been a problem.  Counting on Kelly to play at a high level was also a failure. 

BTW, 90% of the people on this board including myself wanted Pryor brought back at this time last year. 

Ballard stated he signed Pryor stating that Pryor understood what was expected of him. Pryor had held up ok in pass pro in a small sample.

For those like myself that watched him closely, he was Very limited on what he could do to support the run game, and getting out at all for screens and such.

IMO, in giving Pryor the $$ he did Ballard had to tell Pryor that he needed to dump some of his flab and to come back in the best shape of his life.

Pryor admitted he balooned to 360+ and in training camp professed his pride that he had got his weight down to 343. He is the same height as AC and got him self "into shape" to play at 30 more lbs than AC. 

He was big, flabby, and too darn slow to play well. He screwed up. And everyone connected to the Colts suffered.

Now i say that in the end, i'm ok with him eating his way to the bench.

Kirk just choked on a bomb.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In short…..   you want to fire the GM because of how he has handled the WR position.   

Got it. 

No you don’t have it King Smug.  There are many reasons.  I think the roster construction and apparent theory behind that construction are badly flawed in 2023.  I also think the allocation of salary is way out of whack among many other decisions.

I think this dumpster fire of a team needs a new voice and direction.

You were almost reasonable to discuss stuff with this week.

but you just can’t help yourself.

On 1/19/2023 at 12:46 AM, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Not with Jeff Saturday as Hc and orlowsky as OC and booger as DC 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

No you don’t have it King Smug.  There are many reasons.  I think the roster construction and apparent theory behind that construction are badly flawed in 2023.  I also think the allocation of salary is way out of whack among many other decisions.

I think this dumpster fire of a team needs a new voice and direction.

You were almost reasonable to discuss stuff with this week.

but you just can’t help yourself.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, Nickster said:

Agreed. Ballard is well known to have measurables that he seldom deviates from. Stubbornness is definitely one of CB’s weaknesses. It’s hard to see him changing dramatically, although he gave lip service to it at the presser. 

Archived