Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top five, but not all at pick #4:

Round one:

1)Bryce Young (QB) or

2)CJ Stroud (QB)

If both gone, trade back

Round Two:

3)Darnell Wright (RT) or

4) Smith-Njigba (WR)

Round Three:

5)Jarrett Patterson (C) if he's still there

I'm thinking if Wright is there, slide Smith over to guard.

Lots of time still, so subject to change, lol

https://twitter.com/noflagsfilm/status/1613261119174352909?s=46&t=tk6a957gDaiRtQtyLd8T4Q

I don’t really buy the narrative that Stroud was throwing to wide open receivers either. Did he have better WR’s than Levis? Sure. But, evidenced in that video, he throws into some TIGHT windows with elite accuracy. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I didn’t mean to say it was great. Just wasn’t as bad as what I thought with how people were carrying on. The lack of weapons contributing to that.

Given the injuries and the lack of talent, 2:1 really isn’t terrible. 

37 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

OR the worst case scenario.

The best QB falling to 4 would be incredible.  Young will gain 10 to 15 lbs and end up around 5ft10 205. 

His size disadvantages are being way overblown! His poise and overall pocket presence is elite. 

The crazy thing is if he was 6ft2 220 he would be a generational QB

The height/weight thing is an interesting debate. At the major NCAA level he's playing against guys comparable to the size of people he'd play against in the NFL and obviously did well. But if you look at the history of the NFL, few players of his ballpark size have had major success. Personally I'd be willing to take my chances given his overall talent. And if he's not the second QB taken at worst, I will be surprised.

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The best QB falling to 4 would be incredible.  Young will gain 10 to 15 lbs and end up around 5ft10 205. 

His size disadvantages are being way overblown! His poise and overall pocket presence is elite. 

The crazy thing is if he was 6ft2 220 he would be a generational QB

4 inches matters

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/prospects-to-pros-dane-bruglers-2023-nfl-mock-draft-2-0/id1528622068?i=1000595538689

Here's a golden nugget in a podcast. Lance Zierlein talks about how he visited the Colts HQ in 2017 and he says Ballard had a board with average NFL sizes/athletic numbers for every position  and on the side he had the numbers the Colts wanted for their players at those positions. He says the numbers for the QBs was 6'1" 215lbs. He goes on to say, this might have changed since and that size is not everything... but still I think it's very important insight about how Ballard sees QBs and kind of fits what we know about him having specific physical measurements for other positions. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/prospects-to-pros-dane-bruglers-2023-nfl-mock-draft-2-0/id1528622068?i=1000595538689

Here's a golden nugget in a podcast. Lance Zierlein talks about how he visited the Colts HQ in 2017 and he says Ballard had a board with average NFL sizes/athletic numbers for every position  and on the side he had the numbers the Colts wanted for their players at those positions. He says the numbers for the QBs was 6'1" 215lbs. He goes on to say, this might have changed since and that size is not everything... but still I think it's very important insight about how Ballard sees QBs and kind of fits what we know about him having specific physical measurements for other positions. 

To be clear, I have to believe that 6’1” and 215 are the minimum numbers required for quarterback and not the preferred numbers.   

And I say that because none of Ballard’s starting QBs have been even close to those numbers.    Luck, Brissett, Rivers, Wentz and Ryan all far exceed the posted numbers.   That tells me those were the minimum numbers required for the position.     

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear, I have to believe that 6’1” and 215 are the minimum numbers required for quarterback and not the preferred numbers.   

And I say that because none of Ballard’s starting QBs have been even close to those numbers.    Luck, Brissett, Rivers, Wentz and Ryan all far exceed the posted numbers.   That tells me those were the minimum numbers required for the position.     

Yep... and even the later round QBs Ballard has taken - Eason was huge(6'6" 231)...  I was thinking Sam Ehlinger might have been borderline but now I'm checking his combine numbers - 6'1 1/2" 222lbs... he covers both the height and weight requirement. 

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jason Spears is convinced there is zero chance colts take young. He says he is hearing things.

Young will go very early, but If you have to be at least a bit concerned with a 5'10" 180 LB QB

Any of the top 3 are good choices for the Colts, but my preference is Stroud

If the Colts think HE is the guy......  you make it happen

Is Arizona sticking with Kyler Murray? What would it cost us to move to #3? 3 to me seems like the most cozy spot to guarantee getting 1 of the big 3 quarterbacks. Im assuming the cost shouldnt be too bad. Only thing is that might be hard bc other teams will likely offer more to get in that spot.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That is why Ballard won't overpay for the No.1 pick because he would gladly move to No.3 with a fair deal (giving up our 2nd) if the Bears demand too much. Stroud would be first option, Levis next. One of them will be available at No.3.

Everything else, he would be fine standing pat and taking BPA.

Archived