Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I hope candidates start pulling out. Ballard Irsay deserve for this to fall apart. It’s a circus. You have talked to each candidate for 18 hours. There is nothing more to learn.

Chloe, not to be mean, but you need to chill. Take a break for a day or so. Relax. You’re coming across as very emotional on this topic and I don’t mean to  be rude, but seriously. Take a break

Just now, J@son said:

I don't think any of us here know enough about the Head coaching interview process to be able to make that kind of statement.

Theoretically, my statement is not outlandish whatsoever based on recent and prior NFL history. Practically, yeah, I can see every team adding their flavor, which we seem to be doing now.

Just now, csmopar said:

Chloe, not to be mean, but you need to chill. Take a break for a day or so. Relax. You’re coming across as very emotional on this topic and I don’t mean to  be rude, but seriously. Take a break

lol, good luck with that...she does this ALL....THE....TIME.   In a span of about 2 minutes she goes from "This is a circus.  I hope candidates start dropping out.  That'll show Irsay and Ballard" to "ok well maybe this makes sense after all"

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

You are so kind. And then there is me who took the opposite approach and got a warning. :spit:     Then i put our ______ sister on IGNORE.

she has me on ignore so it doesn't matter much lol

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Here is the chad Forbes tweet from the other day. This was just his speculation though.

If the selection is indeed Steichen, can the Colts afford to wait until after the Super Bowl to start building a staff, personnel, etc. College all-star games are already in process.  I know we have scouts in place but a new coaching staff will want to have an influence on who and what is being evaluated. The NFL combine is at the end of the month, free agency shortly after that. I am not saying rush it, but sooner rather than later may be best at this point.

6 minutes ago, philba101 said:

If the selection is indeed Steichen, can the Colts afford to wait until after the Super Bowl to start building a staff, personnel, etc. College all-star games are already in process.  I know we have scouts in place but a new coaching staff will want to have an influence on who and what is being evaluated. The NFL combine is at the end of the month, free agency shortly after that. I am not saying rush it, but sooner rather than later may be best at this point.

If Steichen is the new HC, I hope they give him the choice to retain or hire different coaches and not hamstring him with the GM's choices, regardless of how well the previous DC or ST coach did.

It is also not fair for Bradley or Bubba to wait to find out if they are going to be looking for another job with a new HC coming in as other teams are building staff. From that point of view, a choice made sooner than later would be beneficial for all parties, IMO.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Candidates have to be thinking they are starting to waste their time. Yes that’s a real thing.

While I agree with this, there are only 32 Head Coaching jobs in the NFL, and only two are open right now. So these guys will play out the process until either they get hired, don't get hired, or get put in a situation where they return to their regular coordinator job like Dan Quinn did. The latter of the three is the fear, but I don't believe that will happen with most of these candidates.

I just want someone to be hired so they can get their top choices for a coaching staff, that's what has me worried, if anything. Again, as long as it's not Saturday as well.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lol

I like the comment that says "are the Colts interviewing the coaches or are the coaches interviewing them..." LOL :) 

Hmmm... Mr.Ballard, are you going to give me guarantees the owner won't force a QB change on me? :) 

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Steichen is the new HC, I hope they give him the choice to retain or hire different coaches and not hamstring him with the GM's choices, regardless of how well the previous DC or ST coach did.

It is also not fair for Bradley or Bubba to wait to find out if they are going to be looking for another job with a new HC coming in as other teams are building staff. From that point of view, a choice made sooner than later would be beneficial for all parties, IMO.

Well said, there are a lot of people affected by the process. There will be a lot of work to get done regardless of who the Colts select as their new coach.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I like the comment that says "are the Colts interviewing the coaches or are the coaches interviewing them..." LOL :) 

There actually may be truth to that. Candidates worried about irsays meddling have a lot of questions.

So wink is a favorite but that guy doesn’t know if he will make too 3. Lmao 

19 minutes ago, philba101 said:

If Steichen is indeed the selection, how would he have time to start assembling his staff while simultaneously preparing the Philly offense for the SB?

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Candidates have to be thinking they are starting to waste their time. Yes that’s a real thing.

That’s my thought as well. Some of these 2nd interviews were said to have lasted hours. How much more could you possibly gain from a 3rd interview? To be asked to interview a 3rd time has to be exhausting. These guys don’t live in state either and I’m sure the Colts are probably holding up other opportunities for them and losing out on potential position coaches as well. I understand being thorough but this is just being indecisive at this point.

This kind of hesitation is reminiscent of Ballard’s hesitation in drafting a QB. This obsession to get it right is analysis paralysis is tired.

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

this is a good point.  It would be great for a decision to be made quickly to give Gus and Bubba time to prepare for their futures, but at the same time I wouldn't want Ballard/Irsay to rush a decision for that reason only.  It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

10 minutes ago, J@son said:

If Steichen is indeed the selection, how would he have time to start assembling his staff while simultaneously preparing the Philly offense for the SB?

It is a good question and my whole point for the post in the first place. It may end up being a risk for the Colts if they have to wait too long to start their offseason planning.

This could last until after the Superbowl and I would be fine

Literally there is no rush right now and we should have about 3 or 4 solid options 

Coaching is extremely important especially to young QBs growth so choosing the correct guy is essential 

I don't understand why people want to know right now. It's not like that will change anything and if they pick someone you dislike the conversation will shift to why didn't they take their time.

So Jason spears says the candidates are being told they can hire their own offensive staff but colts want them to keep the defensive staff and special teams. He said that can change. Colts defense was really good. Maybe they could compromise and ask the HC to just give the defensive staff a year so the new HC can see what they do but give them the option of changing defensive staff after a year if it doesn’t go well.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So Jason spears says the candidates are being told they can hire their own offensive staff but colts want them to keep the defensive staff and special teams. He said that can change. Colts defense was really good. Maybe they could compromise and ask the HC to just give the defensive staff a year so the new HC can see what they do but give them the option of changing defensive staff after a year if it doesn’t go well.

Was it though, situationally? A different pair of eyes, like the incoming HC's eyes, might look at it differently??? ST, we have far more years of Bubba with us. Ballard's vision of his 4-3 can be accomplished just as well if he "allowed" the incoming HC to think outside the box while keeping the 4-3.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am glad they are at least trying to keep Bubba and Gus

Just now, RollerColt said:

Yeah I’d rather move on from

Bradley if possible. 

Why is that 

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Why is that 

I’m personally not the biggest fan of the scheme. Lots of completions against us, not too many blitzing, unable to get stops when it was essential. I’d just rather move on to something else. 

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Why is that 

Yeah he is making such a huge deal of them wanting to keep them. But Gus defense was really good and bubba had best ST in league. Why would anyone want to change that. He thinks it’s a bad look but looks like a lot of teams who needed HC are doing the same thing.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Was it though, situationally? A different pair of eyes, like the incoming HC's eyes, might look at it differently???

Why would they? Everybody saw all that one sided non complimentary football we had to play last year. It affects your D. They should try to keep Gus and the scheme here. Should only be better with another draft and FA.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This approach seems questionable. Suppose the defense is disappointing next season. Who is accountable for that? Not the head coach. What if the returning coaches and new coaches don't really mesh and become a cohesive staff? And if the team struggles next year, might the whole thing turn into a mess? I like the idea of a new coach hiring his own staff with the option of choosing last year's staff and being fully accountable for that staff's success.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why would they? Everybody saw all that one sided non complimentary football we had to play last year. It affects your D. They should try to keep Gus and the scheme here. Should only be better with another draft and FA.

How does that explain the bad red zone TD pct.? Lack of motivation from the same D. The TOP wasn't that lop sided over the season that the excuses of "ran out of gas" holds every time. They could still have limited teams to FGs. When the teams were forced to score, they had their way with our D.

Steelers, and other games, when the games were 1 score games, even Jaguars had the lead with a 4th qtr. TD score in a game where our O with Matt Ryan did miraculously well early in the season. In games that were competitive one score games, when the opponent needed to step on the gas, they were able to, that was the theme of the ENTIRE season.

But hey, if we all want to give excuses, we can, I guess.

3 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

This approach seems questionable. Suppose the defense is disappointing next season. Who is accountable for that? Not the head coach. What if the returning coaches and new coaches don't really mesh and become a cohesive staff? And if the team struggles next year, might the whole thing turn into a mess? I like the idea of a new coach hiring his own staff with the option of choosing last year's staff and being fully accountable for that staff's success.

Absolutely. You don't want to go in with Gus Bradley potentially lame duck either. 

Archived