Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

3 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

To me experience is a higher priority with this HC hire. If I am the Colts I am not trying to identify the next Bill Walsh but am trying to steady the ship and avoid a disaster. So from that standpoint I am not high on Moore. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a first time HC but I think all or most lack experience both in terms of number of years and variety. 

When Kyle Shanahan was hired by the 49ers that was after nearly 10 years (granted he got his first OC gig younger than most) and working for different coaches/organizations.

In addition to years as a position coach Brian Daboll was the OC for 1 year in Cleveland, Miami, KC, and Alabama before becoming the Buffalo OC and now the Giants HC.

That's the type of experience I would look for and I don't think any of the candidates have it. 

Well Bill O’Brien would and he was a decent coach until he pretty much became a GM and Head Coach.  Not saying the Colts should go after him just that he would fit what you are talking about.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

To me experience is a higher priority with this HC hire. If I am the Colts I am not trying to identify the next Bill Walsh but am trying to steady the ship and avoid a disaster. So from that standpoint I am not high on Moore. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a first time HC but I think all or most lack experience both in terms of number of years and variety. 

When Kyle Shanahan was hired by the 49ers that was after nearly 10 years (granted he got his first OC gig younger than most) and working for different coaches/organizations.

In addition to years as a position coach Brian Daboll was the OC for 1 year in Cleveland, Miami, KC, and Alabama before becoming the Buffalo OC and now the Giants HC.

That's the type of experience I would look for and I don't think any of the candidates have it. 

So who do you like?

I get KM doesn’t have years of experience, but he does have 4 pretty good years experience as an OC. 

I’m not sold on him, or anyone really, as there are to many variables I couldn’t possibly know.

47 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

So who do you like?

I get KM doesn’t have years of experience, but he does have 4 pretty good years experience as an OC. 

I’m not sold on him, or anyone really, as there are to many variables I couldn’t possibly know.

Well to me Harbaugh is #1 but I am not expecting it. Payton is right there too but there is 0% chance he comes to Indy.

So I would list:

• Raheem Morris - Very young HC with the Bucs, now Rams DC. Most of his experience is on the defensive side. Was the Falcons WR coach for a few years. I saw some headlines about him being in line to take over the Rams if McVay quits though.
  • Leslie Frazier - Has some HC experience and I think he should be held in a little bit higher regard given what he was working with. Tons of experience. Plus, I think he has some relationship with Irsay. I think that is another thing...finding someone who can get Irsay to take a seat and I think that is more likely to happen with experience. I know many would not be on board with Frazier though.
  • Jim Caldwell - I don't think he will be a candidate but I would trust him to help get things back on track. Again, I know this will be another name most will roll their eyes at but to me my priority is calming the owner down and not hiring a Nathanial Hackett type.
  • Mike Kafka - He has at least played in the league and coached in KC and now NY.
  • Shane Waldron - In terms of OCs I think he is underrated. I do like that he worked for McVay and now Pete Carroll. No idea if he has HC qualities though. (or Kafka too for that matter)

I'm not saying I wouldn't consider Moore or some of the other usual suspects (Johnson, Steichen) though. I just think the lack of experience is a really big negative for the current situation.

To me experience is a big factor though both to help ensure the new QB is set up correctly and to help get Jim to calm down a little. I worry that with someone in their 30s who has never been a HC before would only lead to Irsay meddling more with the roll he is on.

Edit: I would also add Byron Leftwich to the list for consideration. 

One other thing I want to mention that comes to mind after having Frank Reich here:

If the Colts hire another offensive mind I don't like the idea of them being the play caller. I want the HC to be the HC.

Now, if you are someone like Andy Reid or Sean Payton, both are among the very best play callers in the league IMO, then absolutely.  

I just don't want to assume that just because the guy is offensive minded means the play calling will be good. I think that is what was done with Frank and I don't think play calling is his strength.

If the guy isn't truly one of the best at calling plays then he should just focus on being the HC instead of trying do another job that he isn't among the best at to begin with.

So if the Colts do end up with an offensive minded coach I hope they either let their OC call the plays or turn out to be a great play caller. (which I wouldn't bet on) 

6 hours ago, masterlock said:

Jim Harbaugh, or Dave Toub, please.

why Dave Toub?

Why not Bubba Ventrone at that point?  Was the Toub thing a joke that went over my head from the 987 previous seasons where his name was floated and he got passed over by every single team, every single year?

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Worst organization in the league after Lovie it will be there 4th head coach in 4 years (not including interims)

Looks like they are targeting Gannon. Since they are finally through all the Watson stuff and getting a QB it might be pretty attractive. We will see if GM survives. It will be his 3rd HC hire if he survives.

30 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

Well to me Harbaugh is #1 but I am not expecting it. Payton is right there too but there is 0% chance he comes to Indy.

So I would list:

• Raheem Morris - Very young HC with the Bucs, now Rams DC. Most of his experience is on the defensive side. Was the Falcons WR coach for a few years. I saw some headlines about him being in line to take over the Rams if McVay quits though.
  • Leslie Frazier - Has some HC experience and I think he should be held in a little bit higher regard given what he was working with. Tons of experience. Plus, I think he has some relationship with Irsay. I think that is another thing...finding someone who can get Irsay to take a seat and I think that is more likely to happen with experience. I know many would not be on board with Frazier though.
  • Jim Caldwell - I don't think he will be a candidate but I would trust him to help get things back on track. Again, I know this will be another name most will roll their eyes at but to me my priority is calming the owner down and not hiring a Nathanial Hackett type.
  • Mike Kafka - He has at least played in the league and coached in KC and now NY.
  • Shane Waldron - In terms of OCs I think he is underrated. I do like that he worked for McVay and now Pete Carroll. No idea if he has HC qualities though. (or Kafka too for that matter)

I'm not saying I wouldn't consider Moore or some of the other usual suspects (Johnson, Steichen) though. I just think the lack of experience is a really big negative for the current situation.

To me experience is a big factor though both to help ensure the new QB is set up correctly and to help get Jim to calm down a little. I worry that with someone in their 30s who has never been a HC before would only lead to Irsay meddling more with the roll he is on.

Edit: I would also add Byron Leftwich to the list for consideration. 

One other thing I want to mention that comes to mind after having Frank Reich here:

If the Colts hire another offensive mind I don't like the idea of them being the play caller. I want the HC to be the HC.

Now, if you are someone like Andy Reid or Sean Payton, both are among the very best play callers in the league IMO, then absolutely.  

I just don't want to assume that just because the guy is offensive minded means the play calling will be good. I think that is what was done with Frank and I don't think play calling is his strength.

If the guy isn't truly one of the best at calling plays then he should just focus on being the HC instead of trying do another job that he isn't among the best at to begin with.

So if the Colts do end up with an offensive minded coach I hope they either let their OC call the plays or turn out to be a great play caller. (which I wouldn't bet on) 

Please no Caldwell. Like to see Frazier from that list.

So they hire Lovie, give him nothing to work with on offense, and then fire him because the offense was inept? And people say the Colts are undesirable. At least Jim has shown to be pretty patient unlike these joke organizations that keep firing coaches after 1 year.

2 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

So they hire Lovie, give him nothing to work with on offense, and then fire him because the offense was inept? And people say the Colts are undesirable. At least Jim has shown to be pretty patient unlike these joke organizations that keep firing coaches after 1 year.

I think they just wanted a place holder until the Watson stuff was settled and they got a high pick at QB. It still stinks though.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If some team wants to hire Reich are the Colts entitled to compensation?

Good question….   But I believe the answer is no.   But I think Irsay would get off the hook for at least part or possibly all of his salary.  

I think the two who would know best would be @Superman and @w87r    I think they understand this better than most. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good question….   But I believe the answer is no.   But I think Irsay would get off the hook for at least part or possibly all of his salary.  

I think the two who would know best would be @Superman and @w87r    I think they understand this better than most. 

The answer is no. You are right.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If some team wants to hire Reich are the Colts entitled to compensation?

I believe he is paid his full Salary for the 2023 league year, and then what the Colts pay him for the remaining term of his contract going forward is offset by what his new team is paying. He did recently sign an extension with the Colts.

5 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I believe he is paid his full Salary for the 2023 league year, and then what the Colts pay him for the remaining term of his contract going forward is offset by what his new team is paying. He did recently sign an extension with the Colts.

Sorry, Also meant to add No Compensation is owed- Similar to the Matt Rhule situation we’re the Panthers still owe him. 40 Million only offset by his Nebraska Salary. Different from Sean Payton who stepped down from his job - new team owes compensation.

Archived