Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

There is supposed to be no new news from teams this week other than Super Bowl or NFL news but there has been plenty.  The Carr drama of him interviewing with the Saints Wednesday and staying overnight into Thursday.  Payton talking about Murray and the Cardinals along with reports of coordinator candidates being interviewed by teams throughout this week.  Yet no team is supposed to announce the hiring of a coach during this so called news blackout.  Many teams are conducting newsworthy business.  Colts seem like the only team obeying the rules.  Why is that I ask?

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There is supposed to be no new news from teams this week other than Super Bowl or NFL news but there has been plenty.  The Carr drama of him interviewing with the Saints Wednesday and staying overnight into Thursday.  Payton talking about Murray and the Cardinals along with reports of coordinator candidates being interviewed by teams throughout this week.  Yet no team is supposed to announce the hiring of a coach during this so called news blackout.  Many teams are conducting newsworthy business.  Colts seem like the only team obeying the rules.  Why is that I ask?

Irsay about say F it and hire a HC at SB halftime 

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A lot of what you are hearing are by those who need the clicks or start rumors on Twitter.  

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@richard pallo This is for my own understanding. Why do you and another member find @Patrick Miller's post puzzling. There is reason to believe that this in fact is the case (that the team is looking to hire Steichen). 

I was the other one, and for me the issue is that, though Steichen could ultimately end up being the hire, this delay is no evidence that's the end result. Reasonable assumptions can be made for any of them. People are just trying to will their dreams on everyone else. It's the downside of an exhaustive search, with interviews ending on Super Bowl week.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm interested if he brings Eagles QB coach with him 

I'm not as excited as most.

Herbert's success is reason for optimism, but though it's impressive how he molded the Eagle offense to match Hurt's talents, it bother me that many think it'd be a great idea to match him with Richardson so Steichen can work his wonders with him.

I don't wnat that kind of offense, and I worry that Richardson is more Tebowish than Hurts. That and I don't hold any expectations that a running QB is successful more than a couple of years.

So, people with more knowledge on the matter than I are doing the work, and I'll root for whomever. I'm just not as convinced as most that Steichen is the slam dunk others think.

35 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Herbert's success is reason for optimism, but though it's impressive how he molded the Eagle offense to match Hurt's talents, it bother me that many think it'd be a great idea to match him with Richardson so Steichen can work his wonders with him.

I don't wnat that kind of offense, and I worry that Richardson is more Tebowish than Hurts. That and I don't hold any expectations that a running QB is successful more than a couple of years.

So, people with more knowledge on the matter than I are doing the work, and I'll root for whomever. I'm just not as convinced as most that Steichen is the slam dunk others think.

Eagles QB coach worked with AR15 in Florida briefly

36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What makes you believe that? Just wondering.

He's done a wonderful job with Herbert and Hurts 

27 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Steichen would be a nice hire. He has the most upside and has proven his worth as a rising star in the coaching ranks based on his accomplishments. Shane's SB participating offense is versatile and high scoring but I do AGREE with you on the Richardson pairing. I don't get it either or see it happening.

Richardson's college career doesn't compare to Hurts in any way whether it be in stats or accomplishments. His passing percentage is awful and I don't even see him as a fluid runner. No way the Colts take him with the fourth pick. I see at least 4 other qbs that have more upside with BETTER skillsets that Shane could do even MORE with if hired. Now if Richardson is still on the board in some of the later rounds then MAYBE you take a flier on him but I'm not even sure about that scenario either.

9 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Steichen would be a nice hire. He has the most upside and has proven his worth as a rising star in the coaching ranks based on his accomplishments. Shane's SB participating offense is versatile and high scoring but I do AGREE with you on the Richardson pairing. I don't get it either or see it happening.

Richardson's college career doesn't compare to Hurts in any way whether it be in stats or accomplishments. His passing percentage is awful and I don't even see him as a fluid runner. No way the Colts take him with the fourth pick. I see at least 4 other qbs that have more upside with BETTER skillsets that Shane could do even MORE with if hired. Now if Richardson is still on the board in some of the later rounds then MAYBE you take a flier on him but I'm not even sure about that scenario either.

Id take richardson at 4 if the other qbs are gone

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Because they haven't decided on a coach yet.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Id take richardson at 4 if the other qbs are gone

Now THAT certainly changes things. If that scenario happens to play out then Richardson or Hooker would be my guy. That being said neither would be my FIRST choice though. Richardson would have to work on his passing (VERY raw) and Hooker would have that unknown (is he the same?) factor post injury.

I know a lot have Levis in the top three of this qb class because of his GIFTED size and big arm but his bone head Wentz like decisions on the field scare me. I watched many of his games and a lot of the turnovers reminded me of Wentz. Will has all the PHYSICAL traits needed to become a Josh Allen type IF properly developed but he also has the potential to turn out like Mitch T or Wentz himself.

Young (small in size) is my 1 and Stroud (system qb?) Is my 1a. These two qbs have question marks also but both are extremely talented and have played at a high level on some of the biggest stages with the numbers to match. There are no guarantees with ANY of thess picks at qb you just have to target your guy and put him in the BEST situation to flourish. That means by surrounding him with some dynamic weapons and more importantly some TOP TIER coaching that's on the rise based on merits instead of the normal Colt tendency to hire a solid (avg) but safe hc that tends to stick around too long based on his "nice" guy likeability.

Give me a coach who has some type of HISTORY of developing, elevating and can cater to a young qb's skillset. One who can design an offense to HIGHLIGHT his strengths but also limit his weaknesses. The RIGHT hc / qb pairing is CRUCIAL moving forward. It is the FIRST step of a FEW needed to get this team moving toward contention and WINNING on a more consistent basis which has been sporadic under Ballard's six year tenure as ACKNOWLEDGED by the man himself.

12 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'd rather have Morris or Callahan. 

If it's Steichen, and the Colts are bad, I can envision the phrase...."The Colts are stinking with Steichen " becoming vogue.

I would hope whatever it is, It's far more original than "The Colts are stinking with Steichen "  Sounds like something my 5 year old granddaughter would come up with

47 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I would hope whatever it is, It's far more original than "The Colts are stinking with Steichen "  Sounds like something my 5 year old granddaughter would come up with

It's obvious your 5 year old granddaughter has a great sense of humor unlike  her aging , cranky , old grandfather.

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'd rather have Morris or Callahan. 

If it's Steichen, and the Colts are bad, I can envision the phrase...."The Colts are stinking with Steichen " becoming vogue.

Based on what? Callahan doesn't call plays as oc and his resume is limited (slightly above Parks Frazier) but Ballard goes back with his dad. Morris is a dc in which we already have a supposedly good one and  his success rate with two different franchises as hc is not very good but he has past ties to Ballard. 

Meanwhile there's a oc in the SB running a diverse offense that calls his OWN plays that has scored the same amount of points as the high powered Chiefs. A guy who has helped develop not ONE but TWO young top tier qbs in Jalen Hurts and Justin Herbert while running two TOTALLY different offenses to highlight their different skillsets. Justin Herbert who had his best season under Steichen while breaking some league rookie passing records swears by him. Before Hurts injury in which he went 16-1 he was the lead MVP candidate. So I think you have that phrase attached to the wrong guy if they hire Callahan or Morris.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Everyone is saying what the new HC would do for a rookie QB.

How about what he can do being a HC? 

There is a lot more to the job of a HC than coaching a rookie QB. 

Exactly! We're hiring a HC, not an OC. 

I don't want the HCs concentration on a rookie QB.

31 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Everyone is saying what the new HC would do for a rookie QB.

How about what he can do being a HC? 

There is a lot more to the job of a HC than coaching a rookie QB. 

I agree with you. I think many realize now after several years post-Andrew Luck how important the QB position truly is. So there's more of a focus on that situation, because we will not be able to solve our other problems until we first figure out the QB situation... 

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@richard pallo This is for my own understanding. Why do you and another member find @Patrick Miller's post puzzling. There is reason to believe that this in fact is the case (that the team is looking to hire Steichen). 

For me just because he was the last one getting a second interview a week before the super bowl doesn't make him the favorite.  He is one of eight.  Those are his odds.  Just like all of the candidates.  Not great odds really but someone will get the job.   We took a long time with our interviews.  It pushed us into the black out period.  That's all I'm seeing.  If he won the job after his Saturday interview they had plenty of time to announce it before Wednesday.  They didn't.  That tells me they had not yet reached a decision.  Maybe he gets it maybe he doesn't.  Whoever gets it should be a true leader with broad experience who can put together a strong staff and can delegate effectively.  Can't wait to find out who it is.  I'm not jumping to any conclusions. 

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The NFL wants a news blackout.  It says nothing about an activities blackout.   Teams, agents, and players, can conduct business, the NFL just wants a gag order on that business so it doesn't take away from the SB hype.

I guess the Colts must have better control over leaks than some other parties.  Big deal.

4 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Now THAT certainly changes things. If that scenario happens to play out then Richardson or Hooker would be my guy. That being said neither would be my FIRST choice though. Richardson would have to work on his passing (VERY raw) and Hooker would have that unknown (is he the same?) factor post injury.

I know a lot have Levis in the top three of this qb class because of his GIFTED size and big arm but his bone head Wentz like decisions on the field scare me. I watched many of his games and a lot of the turnovers reminded me of Wentz. Will has all the PHYSICAL traits needed to become a Josh Allen type IF properly developed but he also has the potential to turn out like Mitch T or Wentz himself.

Young (small in size) is my 1 and Stroud (system qb?) Is my 1a. These two qbs have question marks also but both are extremely talented and have played at a high level on some of the biggest stages with the numbers to match. There are no guarantees with ANY of thess picks at qb you just have to target your guy and put him in the BEST situation to flourish. That means by surrounding him with some dynamic weapons and more importantly some TOP TIER coaching that's on the rise based on merits instead of the normal Colt tendency to hire a solid (avg) but safe hc that tends to stick around too long based on his "nice" guy likeability.

Give me a coach who has some type of HISTORY of developing, elevating and can cater to a young qb's skillset. One who can design an offense to HIGHLIGHT his strengths but also limit his weaknesses. The RIGHT hc / qb pairing is CRUCIAL moving forward. It is the FIRST step of a FEW needed to get this team moving toward contention and WINNING on a more consistent basis which has been sporadic under Ballard's six year tenure as ACKNOWLEDGED by the man himself.

“Bone head Wentz-like decisions”. ???

is that going to be the new label people give QBs who throw picks?   Can we give that label to Luck well after the fact.  

I’ve read about Levis’ picks issues everywhere.  But no one has called them either bone head OR Wentz-like.   You’ve now called him both.  

Do you have a link to support this? 

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well here we go

Well, ok, then.  And I'm not that surprised.  I didn't want to post this opinion while the Wink Might Be It story was in full swing, but having watched his interview video over on the Giants website, it was my opinion that he doesn't interview well.  He doesn't talk like a head coach.  He talks like a position coach, or a coordinator.  And for a team as media-savvy as the Colts, that might wind up being a minus.  Not saying that his inability to speak well in media is a reason to keep him from a HC job.  I'm just saying that I'm not that surprised.

Archived