Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

Listening to Kevin Bowens podcast he said he talked to Chris Hagen (local media guy who interviewed Steichen yesterday). Hagen said Steichen was a little startled when he learned Hagen was from Indy. He said he asked him about the Indy colts job. He said he was polite but reiterated many times his focus was on the game.  Apparently Steichen, Callahan, Ballard have same agent. So that would make total sense why there hasn’t been any leaks if it’s one of those two guys. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Superman said:

We lost several offensive assistants over the last few years, some of whom are having an impact on other teams. I think that had a big impact on player development. Sirianni took Kevin Patullo and Jason Michael, we had previously lost Tom Rathman, no more Howard Mudd (RIP), DeGuglielmo should be mentioned... 

On defense, we lost Jonathan Gannon, and he'll be a HC soon (maybe Cardinals this year?) I believe we've been deficient at DL coach for a while (we shuffled some guys there), and maybe there was a disconnect between the FO and the coaches that led to some missed picks, like Banogu. 

So when I talk about coaching, I'm not just talking about Frank. I'm also about his assistants, his pipeline after some attrition, etc.

Frank definitely lost good coaches and it showed.

All of these interviews are no doubt being used to dig into this area.

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

We lost several offensive assistants over the last few years, some of whom are having an impact on other teams. I think that had a big impact on player development. Sirianni took Kevin Patullo and Jason Michael, we had previously lost Tom Rathman, no more Howard Mudd (RIP), DeGuglielmo should be mentioned... 

On defense, we lost Jonathan Gannon, and he'll be a HC soon (maybe Cardinals this year?) I believe we've been deficient at DL coach for a while (we shuffled some guys there), and maybe there was a disconnect between the FO and the coaches that led to some missed picks, like Banogu. 

So when I talk about coaching, I'm not just talking about Frank. I'm also about his assistants, his pipeline after some attrition, etc.

IF Steichen is the coach... I really wish he would be able to snatch one of their OL coaches. They have been a tremendous line 6-7 years now, and they have done it with different iterations and plugging holes seamlessly. That is a line that is well coached IMO. Even if we don't get their main guy, maybe pursuing their assistant OL coach would be worth it... 

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Listening to Kevin Bowens podcast he said he talked to Chris Hagen (local media guy who interviewed Steichen yesterday). Hagen said Steichen was a little startled when he learned Hagen was from Indy. He said he asked him about the Indy colts job. He said he was polite but reiterated many times his focus was on the game.  Apparently Steichen, Callahan, Ballard have same agent. So that would make total sense why there hasn’t been any leaks if it’s one of those two guys. 

Is there a chance that Steichen just pulls himself out of the search eventually? Unlike McDaniels, whose agent fired him after the Colts HC debacle in 2018, Steichen would at least do it in a respectful way, IMO. Can Steichen possibly think that he is very likely to get a better opportunity than the Colts HC job? That is what it boils down to. 

Given how many HCs are fired and hired every year, hey, if Mike Tomlin is let go (say), the Steelers job becomes very appealing across Pennsylvania for Steichen. If Arthur Smith is let go after 2 years with Atlanta, there is a good chance the Falcons are picking at the top of the draft. If Brandon Staley stinks it up again, that is another fantastic job made available for Steichen. Just thinking through future options for Steichen, should he choose to stay.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

IF Steichen is the coach... I really wish he would be able to snatch one of their OL coaches. They have been a tremendous line 6-7 years now, and they have done it with different iterations and plugging holes seamlessly. That is a line that is well coached IMO. Even if we don't get their main guy, maybe pursuing their assistant OL coach would be worth it... 

I agree they're doing a good job at OL, but remember two years ago, their line was awful, and now their lineup has changed significantly. (Wentz seems to make an OL look worse, though.) I think scouting has been a major factor there. It also shows that OL shifts happen quickly, you can go from good to bad, and vice versa, pretty quickly.

By the way, they used a first on Andre Dillard, and he barely even plays. Even when Lane Johnson was hurt, Driscoll filled in. I don't think they triggered Dillard's fifth year option. It shows even praiseworthy teams with good OL play have some big misses here and there.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Is there a chance that Steichen just pulls himself out of the search eventually? Unlike McDaniels, whose agent fired him after the Colts HC debacle in 2018, Steichen would at least do it in a respectful way, IMO. Can Steichen possibly think that he is very likely to get a better opportunity than the Colts HC job? That is what it boils down to. 

Given how many HCs are fired and hired every year, hey, if Mike Tomlin is let go (say), the Steelers job becomes very appealing across Pennsylvania for Steichen. If Arthur Smith is let go after 2 years with Atlanta, there is a good chance the Falcons are picking at the top of the draft. If Brandon Staley stinks it up again, that is another fantastic job made available for Steichen. Just thinking through future options for Steichen, should he choose to stay.

I think this entire thing is leaning that Steichen and colts have agreed on a deal. The fact that both of them share a agent with Ballard leads me to be believe even more it’s one of Callahan or Steichen. Steichen agent would not want anything leaking before SB. Since Ballard shares a agent it’s much easier to keep quiet.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think this entire thing is leaning that Steichen and colts have agreed on a deal. The fact that both of them share a agent with Ballard leads me to be believe even more it’s one of Callahan or Steichen. Steichen agent would not want anything leaking before SB. Since Ballard shares a agent it’s much easier to keep quiet.

Or Steichen could still be sitting on the deal without giving a yes. Win or lose the SB, he has made the SB. If they make it to the SB again (which could happen because Hurts will still be on his rookie deal), like Dan Quinn did in back to back years as Seahawks DC, Steichen will get his pick of the HC openings next year.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I agree they're doing a good job at OL, but remember two years ago, their line was awful, and now their lineup has changed significantly. (Wentz seems to make an OL look worse, though.) I think scouting has been a major factor there. It also shows that OL shifts happen quickly, you can go from good to bad, and vice versa, pretty quickly.

By the way, they used a first on Andre Dillard, and he barely even plays. Even when Lane Johnson was hurt, Driscoll filled in. I don't think they triggered Dillard's fifth year option. It shows even praiseworthy teams with good OL play have some big misses here and there.

I think that was when they had multiple injuries on the line. + Wentz... 

But yeah, no team bats 100%. They missed on Dillard but they developed and hit on Mailata who was late round pick transitioning from rugby. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That's the same vibe I got, just reading that previous post. But who knows...

I think it's a good thing they share agents. Ballard's agent has probably locked these guys down pretty well, after the McDaniels deal. And it also speaks to a potential pre-existing relationship between Ballard and Steichen (or Callahan).

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We are picking at the top of the draft.  We may even move up to 1.  No one knows what the future holds.  Our opportunity is now and a very good one at that.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

We are picking at the top of the draft.  We may even move up to 1.  No one knows what the future holds.  Our opportunity is now and a very good one at that.

Our opportunity may not align with a prospective HC's opportunity, IMO. I just don't think the Steichen thing is a done deal as much as some folks here think. That is all I am saying.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Or Steichen could still be sitting on the deal without giving a yes. Win or lose the SB, he has made the SB. If they make it to the SB again (which could happen because Hurts will still be on his rookie deal), like Dan Quinn did in back to back years as Seahawks DC, Steichen will get his pick of the HC openings next year.

That is possible too. Maybe it will depend on if eagles win or not. If they win he finished his business with the eagles if not it’s unfinished business.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Our opportunity may not align with a prospective HC's opportunity, IMO. I just don't think the Steichen thing is a done deal as much as some folks here think. That is all I am saying.

Byron Leftwich was a hot candidate last cycle, basically turned down jags job when his power play failed (let go of GM to get me).  He’ll be a head coach next year and have better opportunities then dumpster fire jags.  Now the Jags are an up and coming team and Leftwich fired nowhere near getting a HC position.  Things can change fast in the NFL

3 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Byron Leftwich was a hot candidate last cycle, basically turned down jags job when his power play failed (let go of GM to get me).  He’ll be a head coach next year and have better opportunities then dumpster fire jags.  Now the Jags are an up and coming team and Leftwich fired nowhere near getting a HC position.  Things can change fast in the NFL

But the cloud of Leftwich being carried by a HOF QB like Brady is not the same as Steichen getting the most out of Hurts. You can fail with Hurts and 2 star wideouts and be blamed less for it than fail with Brady and 2 star wideouts, IMO. But I get your point. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s getting annoying everyone blaming him for the downfall. If he wins in Carolina it will just be proof that it was more player related and QB stability related. I have always thought it was the QB stability and some personal issues and not his play calling that everyone screams about. This past year was the only year this offense had trouble scoring.

And if Reich fails in Carolina, what will you say then…

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don’t think there’s anything close to a done deal with anyone honestly 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If he goes to the Commanders, QB is a question mark but Ron Rivera may be let go and he can slide in as HC.

If he goes to the Ravens, I doubt they let Harbaugh go unless he stinks it up 2 or 3 years in a row without making the playoffs, doubtful, but Bieniemy would get to be OC and call plays for another talented QB. It depends on what he wants.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Since Morris agent seemed to leak early on his client did well in his interview but we haven’t heard he has been eliminated it is safe to say if they haven’t actually picked a coach yet he is a finalist.

133 pages and still no new Head Coach

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When you don’t have stability at QB and don’t know what your going to get play to play from that QB yeah it’s going to get predictable. I will acknowledge him wanting Carson and Irsay trusting he could fix him  is probably what got him fired. 

It should be the exact opposite in this scenario.  Everything should have been unpredictable to a fault.  To many faults..... 

34 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Since Morris agent seemed to leak early on his client did well in his interview but we haven’t heard he has been eliminated it is safe to say if they haven’t actually picked a coach yet he is a finalist.

That's definitely not "safe to say" based on what you said here.  There is no indication other than his agent saying his client interviewed well (SHOCKER) and then no news for week+......  That leads neither way..... And there has been more absence of evidence that Morris is in it still than several other candidates at this point.... (At least publicly)

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I actually hope Morris is the selection. More experience, more contacts , knows both sides of the ball and I think if hired, we get an extra draft pick. Not sure what round but if it's this year, might include that in a package to move up in the draft.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I actually hope Morris is the selection. More experience, more contacts , knows both sides of the ball and I think if hired, we get an extra draft pick. Not sure what round but if it's this year, might include that in a package to move up in the draft.

I dont think we will get the draft pick, the team that he comes from before the hire does.

34 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I dont think we will get the draft pick, the team that he comes from before the hire does.

I think you are right. The rule doesn't seem like a short term solution to the problem but what do I know. I still prefer Morris over gambling on unproven OCs. 

Archived